• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 PC Gaming Info Roundup

FirewalkR

Now Kojima can't complain about the lack of power. :D Hope they go all out on the PC, and give us something comparable to the tgs05 mgs4 trailer. Assuming it's to be a similar AAA game.

Shawsie64

Banned
godhandiscen said:
I know this is sarcasm, but... fuck that, my appreciation for my friends can make me look past a framerate stutter here and there. Most likely I will just double dip and get the definitive version of Splinter Cell to play SP on my own spare time.

Get the fuck out of here with that "friends" shit!

i kid ;)

FirewalkR said:
Now Kojima can't complain about the lack of power. :D Hope they go all out on the PC, and give us something comparable to the tgs05 mgs4 trailer. Assuming it's to be a similar AAA game.

Yes please, I really hope KojiPro take Capcom's lead and let the game scale to the hardware whilst still remaining supremely optimised. It'll be interesting to see what they can do with some serious hardware, and hey, even if it doesn't scale up too much, 1080p/60hz is still a monumental leap over a 720p/30hz game anyway.

dionysus

Yaldog
Is Alpha Protocol at E3? That is my most anticipated PC game other than maybe Deathspank by Ron Mother Fucking Gilbert.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
brain_stew said:
I thought that comment would go down well. :lol :lol :lol

In all seriousness, I never thought people bought plinter Cell games for their multiplayer? Plus, I've always found the PC to generally have much, much better communities than Xbox Live, never been too fussed with playing friends online, I'd rather do that in person.
The older Splinter Cells had awesome MP, though it had the same problem that every single asymmetric MP has had, people always want to just play their favourite side.

Things are looking rather rosy tbh.

Pre-ordered Tales of Monkey Island and I'll be there day one for the special edition too. Woo.

eznark

Banned
It's definitely cool as hell that MGS is coming to the PC but in all reality, I'm going to have to go get a more comfortable desk chair if I play a Kojima game on my computer. It's one the only games that I buy the comfort of a couch argument for consoles.

MGrant

eznark said:
It's definitely cool as hell that MGS is coming to the PC but in all reality, I'm going to have to go get a more comfortable desk chair if I play a Kojima game on my computer. It's one the only games that I buy the comfort of a couch argument for consoles.

Or just hook your PC up to your TV like I do.

eznark said:

Heh, my office chair is way more comfortable than my couch. Actual support for your back, that is adjustable to boot.

eznark

Banned
MGrant said:
Or just hook your PC up to your TV like I do.

My wife would not appreciate it if I did the things I do on my PC in the living room
like work

And yeah, I was serious, I am getting a nicer chair.

High white collar unemployment = cheap Herman Miller's.

MrPing1000 said:
Things are looking rather rosy tbh.

Pre-ordered Tales of Monkey Island and I'll be there day one for the special edition too. Woo.

Ahh, I've just seen the bundle they're offering, looks a damn nice deal, I think I might bite. Just need to see how pricey shipping to the UK is for the DVD.

Darklord

Banned
FuKuy said:
I'm going to try to put together on this post all the PC related info of the show.

Because the word "exclusive" is being used a lot on the conferences, and all we know that PC is always a different market, not affected by "exclusives". So check out this info, 100% PC GAMING:

* Announced The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition
* Announced Tales of Monkey Island
* Announced Crysis 2
* Announced Left 4 Dead 2. Coming November 17.
* Metal Gear Rising on PC too.
* Starcraft II at the end of 2009
* Assassin's Creed 2 to release on 17 de November.
* Mass Effect 2 to release on January 2010
* Alan Wake to release on Spring 2010
* Star Wars The Old Republic full voice acting.
* Announced Lego Harry Potter 1-4
* Shadow Complex on PC too.
* Oct 20 release date of Dragon Age: Origins
* Splinter Cell Conviction for PC too.
* 'All Points Bulletin,' Coming Early 2010. Published by EA.

I'm trying to keep the post up to date.
Thanks.

This is like one of the best E3's ever. Fuck Sony and Nintendo's stuff, I don't care if they suck it's a billion times better than last years already!

But seriously Sony and Nintendo better have the goods. Don't spoil a good thiong

Darklord said:
This is like one of the best E3's ever. Fuck Sony and Nintendo's stuff, I don't care if they suck it's a billion times better than last years already!

But seriously Sony and Nintendo better have the goods. Don't spoil a good thiong

Old ass GT5 for PC rumours to be confirmed at Sony conference! :D

Ha, now that would be the megaton. :lol

dovella

f0sr5y.png

Alan Wake
APB
Assassin's Creed 2
Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs
Crysis 2
DiRT 2
Dragon Age: Origins
Left 4 Dead 2 (pc - x360)
Madden NFL 10
MAFIA II
Mass Effect 2
Need for Speed SHIFT
Modern Warfare 2
R.U.S.E
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Star wars: The old republic
The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Darklord said:

It has been really good hasn't it? I'm expecting Sony and Nintendo to be even better. By the way, has anyone heard anything about Rage from id? I thought EA was publishing it, but I haven't heard anything about it from their conference. In either case, it could be added to the list as well since it's been confirmed for PC.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, MS' conference ended up proving to be a PC exhibition in the end (for the most part). Rock on.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
MadOdorMachine said:
It has been really good hasn't it? I'm expecting Sony and Nintendo to be even better. By the way, has anyone heard anything about Rage from id? I thought EA was publishing it, but I haven't heard anything about it from their conference. In either case, it could be added to the list as well since it's been confirmed for PC.
Nintendo conference is going to be terrible, it'll be the usual charts on how well they're doing, mention loads of terrible Wii and DS titles and they might mention something interesting for a second, before unveiling something to 'win E3' like they did last year.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, before anybody gets too excited about a new Metal Gear PC Game...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PortingDisaster

The PC version of Metal Gear Solid 2 would have been better had it actually been compatible with anything. To play it, it needs to be patched to hell and back. With fanmade patches.

* This Troper did not have any trouble with running the game and it plays very well... too bad it's basically the Xbox version running on an emulator. They even forgot to leave out the possibilty to switch rumble on or off.
* If this troper remembers correctly, the game would ask you to push the 'black button' and the 'white button'. And you seriously risked RSI trying to do most complex actions, including jumping out from behind walls and shooting in first person, making precision aiming highly improbable. In fact, most improvements on the first game were rendered practically impossible.
* Then there's the PC version of the original Metal Gear Solid, which was great, apart from the fact that it spoilt one of the greatest boss fights in video game history because of console limitations. The extended scene where Mantis ranted at the player about their previous playing is removed, along with the famous memory-card-reading trick, and the notorious controller-port swap trick necessary to beat him has been replaced with the command to 'use the Keyboard' - which most PC gamers probably already are doing.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
With MGS:R coming to PC, I'd love to see a MGS4:S on PC as well. The image quality difference from 1024x768 to 1080p/8xMSAA/16xAF would be staggering.

epmode

CiSTM said:
Yay, more games from House of Tales \o/ Overclocked is still one of best adventure games in awhile.
I loved Overclocked, but the ending was incredibly disappointing. Great build up though. I'll definitely look into this one.

Kabouter

epmode said:
I loved Overclocked, but the ending was incredibly disappointing. Great build up though. I'll definitely look into this one.
Play Moment of Silence, that actually has a good ending and an even better build-up :p

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Shard said:
I dearly hope Konami got that memo. How was Silent Hill Homecoming on the PC?

IGN says:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/932/932001p2.html
However, what's completely inexcusable is the fact that the PC version of the game was released a month and a half after the console version and yet it has a number of visual and control issues. One of the largest ones is the fact that you cannot run the game in any detail resolution other than Medium; attempting to switch your graphic settings to High, even at the start of a new game, will immediately cause the game to crash. Game resolution also seemed to be a tad bit iffy, with the game crashing out when we boosted the settings to 1280x720. It doesn't make a lot of sense to even try to boost the title all the way to 1920x1200 (assuming your computer can handle it) if the detail is going to be shoddy or the game will crash.

Another problem is tied to the control scheme, which is tied to either the keyboard and mouse or a controller. While using the keyboard and mouse is an option, certain sequences, such as using the left mouse button to perform many of the quick time button presses, are exercises in futility. These buttons don't have the sensitivity of a controller button, so you'll be slamming your finger into a button to try to extricate yourself and only have minimal success. Controllers aren't any better, because the game frequently asks you to press specific buttons to interact with items, look at maps or other things. Problem is that half of the assigned buttons don't actually correlate to what shows up onscreen, and others don't have a button related to them at all. For example, being told to hit the X button to zoom in on a map when the zoom was actually pushing in on the right thumbstick was completely confusing, just as trying to assign buttons to the gamepad and seeing "Button 08" or "Button 04" supposedly assigned to a 360 controller. Were it not for the fact that I remembered the 360 controls, I'd be completely lost in how to play.

Edit: looks like it got a patch to address some of the issues.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Kabouter said:
Not sure if the announcement was made at E3, but House of Tales (Moment of Silence, Overclocked: A History of Violence) announced their new point & click adventure '15 Days'. It's about a gang of art thieves apparently, and is to be released in German this winter, and in English not long after.
http://i39.tinypic.com/2ue6v43.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/148m05c.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/nl4kzl.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/30k7srk.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

That looks quite interesting. I hope they put it on Steam.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm probably the only one who's still holding onto the hope for FFXIII on the PC.

C'mon S-E, I bought The Last Remnant, reward me!

This is the best E3 for PC gaming in quite some time, and we haven't even gotten into the PC exclusives yet.

Shard said:
Yea, before anybody gets too excited about a new Metal Gear PC Game...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PortingDisaster

This is totally different. Its targeting the PC from the start and by working with the Xbox 360 KojiPro will have their game tailored to a symetrical multicore plus standard DirectX GPU setup already. This is like comparing Capcom's last generation ports to their current wares, its a complete different ballgame. Heck, even Square Enix of all companies are pumping quality PC ports, Konami will most certainly follow suit.

K.Jack said:
I'm probably the only one who's still holding onto the hope for FFXIII on the PC.

C'mon S-E, I bought The Last Remnant, reward me!

This is the best E3 for PC gaming in quite some time, and we haven't even gotten into the PC exclusives yet.

Honestly all bets are off at this point, it makes too much sense and it'll be an extra 500k copies sold worldwide at least for Square for minimal effort. It allows them to get penetration in a lot of markets where the brand is likely still recognised but consoles don't have a hold.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
FuckAWESOME!

Now to make this even perfect, PUHLEASE LET MASS EFFECT 2 HAVE GAMEPAD SUPPORT. MW2 support would be nice too.

Good shit, MGS:R and the new Splinter Cell getting a PC release makes me quite happy. I do have to wonder about KojiPro's ability to do a proper PC game but I'll hope for the best.

Erudite

domlolz said:
Is Mass Effect 2 PC going to be released around the same time as the 360 version then?
Nothing has been said otherwise.

I vaguely remember reading they wanted a simultaneous release among both platforms, but I could be wrong.

wow...the majority are console ports..how surpising. You know whats funny is that if it werent for consoles and Games for windows push...the pc would be dormant of good pc games besides the few pc exclusive gems

Cheeto

Mr.Potato Head said:
wow...the majority are console ports..how surpising. You know whats funny is that if it werent for consoles and Games for windows push...the pc would be dormant of good pc games besides the few pc exclusive gems
slurp slurp yum yum

I've always wondered this and have just never asked: Why don't any of the major fighting games come to PC (with the notable exception being SFIV)?

Mr.Potato Head said:

Oh ffs, here he comes.

kodt

Banned
Mr.Potato Head said:

If MS never entered the console market Halo would have been on PC. Epic and id would still be making PC exclusive shooters.

I am not sure if the industry would have been better off though.

Top Bottom