• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 PC Gaming Info Roundup

-SD-

Banned
http://www.fusionio.com/PressDetails.php?id=93

Fatal1ty and Fusion-io Join to Launch the ioXtreme at E3

Gaming and performance PC icon Johnathan Wendel touts ioXtreme's ability to take PC performance to a new level

LOS ANGELES – June 2, 2009 – Johnathan “Fatal1ty” Wendel, the world’s best known PC gamer, and Fusion-io join up at the Fatal1ty E3 booth to launch the ioXtreme, a solid state storage device for high-performance PCs and workstations using 64 bit operating systems. The ioXtreme eliminates application latency, delivering the kind of storage performance once limited to the world’s fastest supercomputers.

Drawing from Fusion-io’s industry-leading solid-state technologies, the ioXtreme is a PCI Express card that sits on the system bus filling the performance gap between RAM and disk drives. It adds 80 GB of non-volatile capacity, exponentially accelerating input and output, including file access, and improving application performance dramatically.

"The ioXtreme supercharges high-end PCs and workstations. I predict this technology will fundamentally change the way software is designed, allowing developers to create a new class of applications that seamlessly handle massive amounts of data," Fatal1ty said. “Imagine playing the most intense game, working on complex 3-D graphics, manipulating massive files, ripping multiple DVDs and installing a new application -- all simultaneously. The technology is crazy and works at the speed I need.”

“Johnathan’s experience with high-end computing has given him a unique insight into the disruption our core technology brings to all levels of computing,” said Steve Wozniak, chief scientist of Fusion-io. “We look forward to working with an incredible young talent like him. The ioXtreme is a good example of how combining the wisdom of veterans, such as myself, with next generation expertise such as Johnathan’s, will take Fusion-io’s performance revolution into the future.”

Scheduled for release in July at a list price of $895, the ioXteme has been architected for prosumers and extreme PC users and is specifically designed for easy upgrades. Through future software releases, the ioXtreme will be able do more far more than application acceleration, including features like boot and transparent data migration. Fusion-io and Fatal1ty will be demonstrating the ioXtreme during E3 in booth #2922 South Hall. For more information about Fusion-io and the ioXtreme, For more information go to the ioXtreme site.
http://www.fusionio.com/ioxtreme/

Specifications

Capacity: 80 GB
NAND Type: Multi-Level Cell (MLC)
Average Bandwidth: 520 MB/s (HD Tach 3.0.4.0 (MB/s))
Burst Bandwidth: 617 MB/s (HD Tach 3.0.4.0 (MB/s))
Latency: < 100 µs
Mean Time Between Failure: 2,000,000 hours
Write Endurance: 6 Years
Form Factor: PCI Express (x4)
Power: PCI Express Power Spec 1.1

System Requirements

Operating Systems: Windows XP 64-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit, Linux 64-bit
Minimum Hardware: x86 processor, 2 GB RAM, x4 PCI-Express slot

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
godhandiscen said:
Nice.

edit: I quoted the wrong post originally.

Also, can anybody get the SUPCOM2 trailer I've read about? I cannot find it.
HD Trailer

brain_stew said:
The PC version of Street Fighter IV is looking on course:

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,685997/Street-Fighter-IV-PC-explained-in-detail/News/

Apparently a GTX 280 will get you over 100fps at 1680x1050 with 4xaa and settings beyond the console version.

Plenty of options to customise the graphics as well to get it running nicely on laptops and the like. I'm loving Capcom's PC ports this gen.
Hmm, so the PC version also has two additional filtering effects which the consoles lack. Impressive.

I guess we'll be kicked out of the screenshot wars threads again.

K.Jack said:
HD Trailer

Hmm, so the PC version also has two additional filtering effects which the consoles lack. Impressive.

I guess we'll be kicked out of the screenshot wars threads again.

You can also kick up the sample rate rate for shadows and the like, and then there's the usual image quality benefits, oh and its cheaper as well and supports more controllers than any other version. PC gaming wins again.

I really don't care about waiting a few months at all considering the platform has me so tied up with the awesome as it is and it means I get a better game at a lower price. Its hard to argue with that sort of value in my book.

godhandiscen said:
WTF are you raving about? Windows 7 increase framerate performance across multiple games isn't enough for you?

For all the shit they get for abandoning their internal PC studios (and make no mistake they deserve it) Microsoft's DirectX and OS teams have contributed immensely to the PC platform.

There's a good reason developers don't go with OpenGL anymore despite it being better suited to a multiplatform development environment, and that's because DirectX has been vastly superior for a long time now and delivers the necessary updates on time instead of months later than promised. DirectX 11 and Windows 7 is only going to increase its dominance. With so much market share Microsoft could have been the de facto OS of choice for gamers even without DirectX but no, they've delivered above and beyond that and they do deserve credit for that.

Zzoram

It's my understanding that Bioware didn't do the PC port of Mass Effect 1, and that it's been poorly supported. There is a patch that was announced in January that still isn't here, with no information about what it fixes. I'm afraid for the PC version.

Zzoram

Grayman said:
it is doubly cheap for me because Canadian console games jumped back up to 69.99 tomfoolery.

Oh ya, ew.

At least Canadian 360/PS3 hardware prices are still lined up with US prices. The Wii is $20-30 more here though.

Zzoram said:
It's my understanding that Bioware didn't do the PC port of Mass Effect 1, and that it's been poorly supported. There is a patch that was announced in January that still isn't here, with no information about what it fixes. I'm afraid for the PC version.

Its still like a gazillion times better than the 360 version though, which for all intents and purposes, despite the awesomeness borders on being utterly broken at times. The framerate and pop in is ridiculous but both are totally cleaned up in the PC release along with much better visuals like all UE3 games on the platform.

One thing I like about Mass Effect being UE3 based is that its so incredibly customisable, don't like the dithering shadows? Get rid of them. Want to get rid of low resolution shadow maps? Go for it. Want to cap your framerate at 30fps so you can push insane visuals and IQ without a single frame drop on a very modest card? Then go right ahead.

I always appreciate PC titles with massive config files, as it lets may play the game precisely how I want to.

Edit:

Grayman said:
it is doubly cheap for me because Canadian console games jumped back up to 69.99 tomfoolery.

Same here in the UK. Console games are like £40 but most every PC game can usually be had for £25 at launch, £30 at the absolute most, heck Street Fighter IV can be preordered for £18 at a lot of places and its not the only one. Its awesome! :D

I feel dirty at the thought of laying down £40 on a single game, it seems crazy when I regularly get awesome stuff like Zeno Clash, Defense Grid and Trials 2 for less than £10.

I might get Splinter Cell for PC if it doesn't have co-op. I played through the Chaos Theory co-op campaign with real Xbox-gamer friends online and it was fantastic (I actually have the PC version as well for single-player on the HTPC). Don't know if I'd be able to wait for a later release, though.

Mass Effect 2, I'll probably get for PC even though they fixed all the tech issues (texture pop, framerate) with the 360 version. Good to see it get day-and-date release.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I might get Splinter Cell for PC if it doesn't have co-op. I played through the Chaos Theory co-op campaign with real Xbox-gamer friends online and it was fantastic (I actually have the PC version as well for single-player on the HTPC). Don't know if I'd be able to wait for a later release, though.

Mass Effect 2, I'll probably get for PC even though they fixed all the tech issues (texture pop, framerate) with the 360 version. Good to see it get day-and-date release.

Um yeah, I'll believe that when I see it, Bioware don't exactly have good form in this area.

Quasar

godhandiscen said:
WTF are you raving about? Windows 7 increase framerate performance across multiple games isn't enough for you?

I imagine he's talking about the MS refusal to support the platform with actual games as it reduces their XBL moneys. Its sadly amusing that MS won't put out any of games out on their own platform (Windows).

brain_stew said:
Um yeah, I'll believe that when I see it, Bioware don't exactly have good form in this area.

That's what the Bombcast and others who have actually played the game at E3 have said. That the texture pop and framerate issues are gone.

K.Jack

Those Badlands screens look unreal to me. I can't wait for that one.
Quasar said:
I imagine he's talking about the MS refusal to support the platform with actual games as it reduces their XBL moneys. Its sadly amusing that MS won't put out any of games out on their own platform (Windows).
It does at times bother me that MS doesn't just release every Xbox game on the PC. I'll admit to that. Stagger the release to get your 360 sales, fine, but to pass up on hundreds of thousands of extra sales is madness to me.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
That's what the Bombcast and others who have actually played the game at E3 have said. That the texture pop and framerate issues are gone.

The average videogame journalist is just about the last person I'd go to for opinions on the technical state of a game. Judging the entire thing of a small confined demo is a bit of a stretch as well.

Again, I'll believe it when I see it.

brain_stew said:
The average videogame journalist is just about the last person I'd go to for opinions on the technical state of a game. Judging the entire thing of a small confined demo is a bit of a stretch as well.

Again, I'll believe it when I see it.

Well, considering that the Bioware project leader and the doctors are running around E3 specifically stating that the #1 suggestion they received about Mass Effect was the texture pop-in and that they have absolutely fixed it, they are going to look REALLY bad if you are right. They are also bringing up the framerate and saying that it is now smooth.

I'll take their opinion over yours, because I believe they wouldn't be bringing it up otherwise. They would dodge the matter.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Wes said:
I fucking love you.
K.Jack said:
Those Badlands screens look unreal to me. I can't wait for that one.

It does at times bother me that MS doesn't just release every Xbox game on the PC. I'll admit to that. Stagger the release to get your 360 sales, fine, but to pass up on hundreds of thousands of extra sales is madness to me.
QFT. Also, I wish MS would create more cross platform games. I would fucking love to play Halo 3 with 16xAA.
brain_stew said:
Bioware has never made two games in the same console with the same engine. The 360 version looks really solid this time, but I will still buy the PC version just because I already started playing this series on PC.

K.Jack

Soooo many games coming out. My backlog is screwed. :lol

And shit 2010 looks to be even better! :lol

I love you PC gaming.

Cheeto

godhandiscen said:
QFT. Also, I wish MS would create more cross platform games. I would fucking love to play Halo 3 with 16xAA.
Yeah really, Halo 3 would look pretty awesome with AA

Rad Agast

I'm watching the Gamespot coverage of Singularity right now. I can't wait to get my hands on another single player Raven FPS.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The one trend I hope changes is the late release of PC titles. There have been a ridiculous number of games released in the past couple of years that I would have preferred to play on the PC, but the release dates are always behind the consoles. I'm getting sick of this.

Rad Agast

brain_stew said:
The PC version of Street Fighter IV is looking on course:

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,685997/Street-Fighter-IV-PC-explained-in-detail/News/

Apparently a GTX 280 will get you over 100fps at 1680x1050 with 4xaa and settings beyond the console version.

Plenty of options to customise the graphics as well to get it running nicely on laptops and the like. I'm loving Capcom's PC ports this gen.

I'm impressed by Capcom's efforts on PC this generation. Their old ports used to be horrible but now a days they're not holding back when it comes to the PC version of their games (added extras are always a nice touch).

Zzoram

dark10x said:
The one trend I hope changes is the late release of PC titles. There have been a ridiculous number of games released in the past couple of years that I would have preferred to play on the PC, but the release dates are always behind the consoles. I'm getting sick of this.

6 months I'm ok with. 3 Years as with Halo, not so much.

dark10x

Zzoram said:
6 months I'm ok with. 3 Years as with Halo, not so much.
I really want same day and date releases on the PC as consoles. I don't think that's too much to ask. Furthermore, in some cases, the waiting is met with a poor release. If I had waited to play GTAIV, for instance, I would have been quite disappointed as a result of the technical problems with the game.

Ultimately, I usually just end up settling for the console versions even though I would prefer to play the game on a PC.

My conspiracy theory is that late PC release dates are designed to reduce overall piracy; that publishers fear that some people who may buy the console game will go with a pirated PC version instead if it is available on day one. Just speculating, I'm probably wrong.

I too would like to see everything ship day-and-date. I might buy the PC version of Splinter Cell: Conviction if it's available on day one, but if it isn't, forget about it.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
beermonkey@tehbias said:
My conspiracy theory is that late PC release dates are designed to reduce overall piracy; that publishers fear that some people who may buy the console game will go with a pirated PC version instead if it is available on day one. Just speculating, I'm probably wrong.

I too would like to see everything ship day-and-date. I might buy the PC version of Splinter Cell: Conviction if it's available on day one, but if it isn't, forget about it.
Pretty sure developers/publishers have said outright that that is why they release later on the PC. Its a sad truth.

dark10x

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I'm sure that's it, actually. I've always thought that was the case and it does make sense. It's just disappointing. :(

Rad Agast

dark10x said:
I'm sure that's it, actually. I've always thought that was the case and it does make sense. It's just disappointing. :(

What's disapointing is the fact that some devs decide to release their games DRM free and still get shat on by the pirate community.

Rad Agast said:
What's disapointing is the fact that some devs decide to release their games DRM free and still get shat on by the pirate community.

And some of these devs happen to be releasing shoddy products.

*Gives the death stare to Demigod*

Top Bottom