• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2013: Vita Has Games

Wonko_C

does Ys look really bad to anyone else? like the most cliche'd JRPG of all time.

It kind of is, but at the same time the selling point of this series has always been the hyper-fast action gameplay with rockin' soundtracks, not the looks. It's one of those games you have to try for yourself to find its greatness. The high point of the series being Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PSP/Steam) in my opinion.

outside of Killzone, Tearaway and maybe batman that im interested in that list looks embarrasingly like something i would see on an "upcoming IOS release" calendar

Not sure why that is a bad thing. What is wrong with a portable gaming system having games that are designed for shorter play sessions?

Aside from KZ:M, Batman Arkham Origins: Blackgate is another "must own" vita title

I know the off screen version is in the op, but here's the "on screen" version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFnKpq5HykI

This game needs more exposure, specifically, a thread of it's own

I’ve played it (at E3). Thought it was excellent on a whole. Manages to capture the feel of the free flow combat system nicely, and tapping the touchscreen to activate Detective Mode was a lovely touch. Visuals were good, voice acting (from what I heard) on par with other games in the series and most importantly, it was fun. Definitely one to watch.

Was there much of Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate Vita shown at E3?

A couple machines were set up with it. Was difficult to get on them during busy periods.

cand

I see lots of ports

2007-pirates-event1.jpg

Yeah, this is sad. The games I'm interested in I can play on other plataforms. But I'm curious about Teraway and Killzone Mercenaries. Just them... tbh

ERC198X

Banned
I’ve played it (at E3). Thought it was excellent on a whole. Manages to capture the feel of the free flow combat system nicely, and tapping the touchscreen to activate Detective Mode was a lovely touch. Visuals were good, voice acting (from what I heard) on par with other games in the series and most importantly, it was fun. Definitely one to watch.

This here

Guevara

Batman is effectively $10 off at Amazon if you preorder right now ($39.99 and comes with $10 Amazon credit and a DLC playable character).

I was pretty impressed by the video.

Kainazzo

Very interested to see what TGS might add to this. If they announce Trails of Blue Evolution then I'll be sure to pick up Zero* too. Haven't bought a thing for it since P4 Golden, but maybe it'll be a Jaguar of sorts, with a small library but 10 or so awesome originals and upgraded ports.

*They fixed the bugs, right?

olimpia84

Tearaway is the one game I have on my "will buy for sure" list. There are a lot of other games I'm interested like Rayman Legends, Batman but will probably wait before I get those.

Akira_83

Banned
Not sure why that is a bad thing. What is wrong with a portable gaming system having games that are designed for shorter play sessions?

Nothing

If there was a healthy selection of games that were more than mere small time-wasters

so where's Uncharted GA 2? New Syphon Filter? Infamous Vita? etc

Akira_83

Banned
besides, if im THAT short on time and just want something that takes a few seconds to play and can shut off (like super hexagon for example) i already have an iphone

i dont go around whipping out my Vita in public, im 29 years old

i want the console style games on my vita because the tech is definitely there and weve seen great success with those being pulled off

minus the dumb touchscreen stuff uncharted GA is fantastic. Persona 4 is the best game on the system, gravity rush is amazing

even resistance BS is a really good game

Kacho

There is not much on that list that I find particularly appealing. :/

outside of Killzone, Tearaway and maybe batman that im interested in that list looks embarrasingly like something i would see on an "upcoming IOS release" calendar

Yep. I got the IOS vibe as well.

besides, if im THAT short on time and just want something that takes a few seconds to play and can shut off (like super hexagon for example) i already have an iphone

As long as I live, I will never understand this fear people have about using a portable gaming device in public.

I have to ask: If you don't use your Vita when out and about, and prefer console styled games, why not just play console games?

Kainazzo

As long as I live, I will never understand this fear people have about using a portable gaming device in public.

I brought a green Game Boy Pocket to school once and had it thrown out the window, breaking it. Later, in middle school I had an Advance slapped from my hands and stomped on. I've since had an iPod Touch and a PSP stolen from me on the bus and at the airport.
When I was in the van on the way to a college project I whipped out my replacement PSP, which nobody had ever seen before. They remarked that it looked like an old Sidekick and asked why I was still using one.

Fringe as my experiences are, I don't have a good history with portable devices in public. I've had about $650 in tech lost, but since I've stopped bringing them out of the house, nothing bad has happened.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
If you like adventure games with funny dialogue and some relaxed platforming mixed in, you should really pay attention to Stick it to the Man. Some people have loosely compared it to Psychonauts, but personally I feel Stick it to the Man has more focus on dialogue/puzzles and less on the platforming aspect.
Oh, and as a bonus, it's not a port!

Akira_83

Banned

I have to ask: If you don't use your Vita when out and about, and prefer console styled games, why not just play console games?

because i play them outside of the house

when visiting family at night because my parents are in bed by like 7pm, i drive up and see them atleast one weekend a month

or sometimes on my lunch break at work, or sometimes after work if im staying late

its not like i wont play it anywhere in public at all, but i dont carry backpacks into appointments and stuff so its not exactly convenient... and yes certain places you will probably seem a little wierd playing games like that

because i play them outside of the house

when visiting family at night because my parents are in bed by like 7pm, i drive up and see them atleast one weekend a month

or sometimes on my lunch break at work, or sometimes after work if im staying late

its not like i wont play it anywhere in public at all, but i dont carry backpacks into appointments and stuff so its not exactly convenient... and yes certain places you will probably seem a little wierd playing games like that

That makes more sense. I thought when you said you never use it in public that you meant that it literally never leaves your house. :)

Akira_83

Banned
That makes more sense. I thought when you said you never use it in public that you meant that it literally never leaves your house. :)

oh yeah it definitely does

but i probably do log in more hours at home than out

sometimes i like the sense of privacy when playing

if im playing a game on the big tv in the living room im always concious of what my GF might think, for example, shes trying to read a book and im blasting fools in Far Cry 3 and gunshots are echoing throughout the house

its nice to throw my headphones on and have my Vita screen be just for me

(like i would NEVER play an atelier game in front of her, lol)

oh and like NOTHING beats how awesome it feels to play a good game on the toilet

vita + toilet = gaming heaven

I think Sony strategy with Vita now is basically trying to hold on until they can announce revision with lower price and do relaunch, just like what they did with PS3slim.

shandy706

I need to find time for all these. I just finished God of War: Ghos of Sparta and it was fanfreakingtastic!

It's the best GoW in the series in my opinion. The Vita's library is huge to me (never owned a PSP).

So many classics, minis, and more to play.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at this list...I kinda feel bad for you guys I'm sorry. :(

I brought a green Game Boy Pocket to school once and had it thrown out the window, breaking it. Later, in middle school I had an Advance slapped from my hands and stomped on. I've since had an iPod Touch and a PSP stolen from me on the bus and at the airport.
When I was in the van on the way to a college project I whipped out my replacement PSP, which nobody had ever seen before. They remarked that it looked like an old Sidekick and asked why I was still using one.

Fringe as my experiences are, I don't have a good history with portable devices in public. I've had about $650 in tech lost, but since I've stopped bringing them out of the house, nothing bad has happened.
Wow...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Still not sure why vita is struggling so much. If it has games and the best hardware, why is it bombing ?

Well, its overpriced, Sony can't market it for shit nor is it a focus of the company and the platform lacks an identity. Sony has failed to establish popular, portable only experiences that people want to buy.

For example, when you buy a Nintendo handheld, you KNOW a new Pokemon is coming. When you bought a Vita you know...nothing. This is why people balk at it. Sony failed to establish high quality, portable only experiences on PSP and that has carried over and hurt the Vita.

Skerj

Man it's getting Farming Simulator 2013 but not Euro Truck Simulator 2!?
You have no idea how much I'd play Euro Truck Simulator 2 on Vita. ..

Dead ass serious!!

Yeah I never understood people who buy gaming handhelds but never play them in public lol. I purposely try to be out in public so people see it so people can see more people playing Vitas in public. Hell, I was just rocking my Animal Crossing 3DS XL (the one that looks like a poptart) on my lunch break. Totally proud. Handheld gamers represent, man.

Man it's getting Farming Simulator 2013 but not Euro Truck Simulator 2!?
You have no idea how much I'd play Euro Truck Simulator 2 on Vita. ..

Dead ass serious!!

I'm pretty damn pumped about Farming Simulator on Vita. The platform will probably never get a new Harvest Moon made for it, so that's the best farming game I'll be getting :\

jrDev

Man, another E3, another sad Vita List. Why is this thing still so expensive if all they have coming out are cheap indie games and ports mixed with 2 noteworthy games? Should be less than $200 MSRP with that output. :-/

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well, its overpriced, Sony can't market it for shit nor is it a focus of the company and the platform lacks an identity. Sony has failed to establish popular, portable only experiences that people want to buy.

For example, when you buy a Nintendo handheld, you KNOW a new Pokemon is coming. When you bought a Vita you know...nothing. This is why people balk at it. Sony failed to establish high quality, portable only experiences on PSP and that has carried over and hurt the Vita.
Vita is not overpriced, and it's easy to find very good offers.
Memory cards are overpriced, but there are offers and some models have one or more games bundled.
As i said before vita + 16gb + 1 year of ps+ is the best thing anyone can do, not even a single additional cent is necessary for playing for an entire year(this doesn't mean that one won't buy other games! Lol, if one is not against handhelds then the more one plays on vita the more he wants to play on it imo), it's way cheaper than a 3ds + similar amount of games.

Imo some of the biggest reasons of the vita poor sales are:
1)pure hate campaign, vita had one of the biggest and best launch, but even before that "vita has no gaemz" "vita is doomed" etc and sony did nothing(and still do nothing) to make people understand it was not true(look at this thread and how many people didn't know most of the games)

2)sony terrible ads and bad management, look at e3 2012 and 2013, with basically no show at the conference people can only think that vita has no games, is this how you intend to push a console? Scea doesn't care, they just waste a little money on cheap and little ports no one asked for(gow, dead nation and others, why not spinoff!?!?!??!) so they can say that they are supporting it.

3)i believe that my local retailers want to boycott vita, since the launch little or no exposure, very few game(most of them are still the ones of the launch), and one of them have the games half-hidden. Imo they don't like its dd-heavy nature, i would not be surprised if they are not the only ones.

The indie games look really good.

Because it's expensive, and proprietary memory cards suuuuuuuck.
The same.

Not for the hardware you're getting it isn't. Maybe it could be 'overpriced' if you compare it to the 3DS, I guess... but really that just makes it 'more expensive'.

Salsa

I wanna play Tearaway and have Spelunky on a portable.

Depending on my money situation come October (trip), that might be enough to get a (probably used) Vita.

We'll see.

I already accepted it's fate as an indie machine/PS4 remote play device, and it's not as interesting to me as it once was considering that 90 percent of the indies it has I am/will be able to play on PC anyway, but the hardware and the emulation potential in the future is really attractive.

Hope there's a unit+memcard price drop because c'mon.

CamHostage

Bigger memory cards Sony. Now.

This. I was kinda disappointed that no new Vita hardware was announced at the E3.

No pricing announcements at all. I want the PSP to drop (I need a new PSP, even though I have a Vita,) I want the Vita to be adjusted or at least be packed in killer bundles, and I want Memory Card prices to get realistic and capacity/speed to get competitive. 0 for 3 at this show, sadly.

TheGrue

I am 40 and use my 3DS and Vita in public all the time. I could give a shit what anyone thinks about what I am playing. I bring portables with me because I hate gaming on my phone and there are plenty of times out and about (shopping with my wife, waiting for a haircut, etc.) where I want to be entertained.

friz898

I'm in the "don't whip mine out in public" crowd.

I do care what people think to a degree, when you're in a business setting and you want to be taken seriously.

I also fall into the "closet gamer" category too, unless I'm talking to another gamer. Even when you run into CoD and Battlefield people, you can't just bust out with "oh you like to game! I play Warcraft 10 hours a day!...did you hear about the new Final Fantasy!?!?!" lol...

...that being said, my hats off to those who don't care what people think, but again, I could see how it affect my business dealings and other matters since you never know who you are going to run into, or how much difference a first impression may make later on in life.

(I'm 33, 34 in July, by the way.)

RpgN

Interested in the following games:

1. Killzone Mercenary
2. Tearaway
3. Ys: Memories of Celceta
4. Rayman Legends
5. Floating Cloud God Saves The Pilgrims
6. Lone Surivivor The Director's Cut
7. Dragon Fantasy Book II
8. Final Fantasy X HD Remaster/ Final Fantasy X-2 HD Remaster
9. Toukiden
10. Freedom Wars
11. God Eater 2

Games that might be worth a look (I'm surprised about some of them):

12. Batman Origins: Blackgate
13. Disney Epic Mickey 2 (E3 videos looked really good for the vita, did not like the demo on the PS3 much but I'm willing to give it a chance)
14. Ragnorak Odyssey Ace (still playing with the vanille version, not sure wether it's worth experiencing again)
15. Muramasa Rebirth (already own the wii version, not sure wether it's worth getting having not played it at all)
16. Field Runners 2
17. Stealth Inc. A Clone in the Dark
18. BIT TRIP Presents Runner 2

Hardly know anything about these games, not sure about them but they look okay:

19. 1001 Spikes
20. Spelunkey
21. CounterSpy
22. Lego Legends of Chima
23. Hokohum

There are other games that are not mentioned in the OP or shown at E3 such as Mind = 0 and a survival horror game that is also being developed for the Wii U and iOS.

Overall the list is not bad, great even. There is no shortage of games to play considering I'm open to trying new IPs and different genres. Killzone will finally bring a proper FPS experience to handhelds, Tearaway looks like a special game that is not to be missed, I'm super hyped for FFX and X-2 as a FF fan, Toukiden demo felt great on the PSP, Ys is a safe bet and Rayman Origins was a great fit on the vita based on the little that I've played, I'm hoping the same applies with Legends. The disappointment often comes from the fact that not many of my favourite games are represented on the vita. AAA games if you must. I'm at the point where I'm about to accept not having the games that I want and just take things as they come except for one game: Final Fantasy Type 0. I'll rest until this one is announced. If not, I'll always be disappointed in the vita for not having a game that is a perfect fit for it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Interested in only like 4 titles:

Frozen Synapse, Tearaway (if good), Killzone (if they fix the fucking aim acceleration that plagues all shooters on the system) and... FFXII if it happens.

As for using it in public: I only use it if I'm not driving and am a passenger. Otherwise I leave it at home. And to add to that: who the hell uses Near in public? Most of the time I find random people late at night around here but never anyone local/same-time.

Might as well make that a PSN sharing thing than trying to get "near collectibles" locally.

Top Bottom