• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 conference and event rating thread

Best E3 conference?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bgamer90

Banned
EA - 5.0/10
Microsoft - 7.5/10
Ubisoft - 8.0/10
Sony - 6.0/10
Nintendo - 9.0/10

Nintendo was short and simple and their games look great. Microsoft had a solid E3 conference; many solid looking games coming to the platform whether console exclusive or not. Original Xbox backwards compatibility is great news and shows how much Microsoft/Xbox is putting the competition to shame in terms of the ability to play older games. Sony's conference was a bit disappointing to me because it felt like a shortened version of their E3 conference from last year. Very short and nothing really new that was shown. It was their worst E3 conference this gen by far though it still wasn't bad. Just "meh" to me.

theecakee

A lot of known quantities, but none were really terrible. I think if I had to choose, Nintendo was the strongest and weakest being Sony.

I don't feel like Nintendo has sold me on going out and buying a Switch, but now I'm at least thinking about it instead of before not being interested at all.

EA: 3/5
Microsoft: 4/5
Ubisoft: 4/5
Bethesda: 4/5
Sony: 2/5
Nintendo: 5/5

EA - 6.0/10
Microsoft - 8/10
Bethesda - 8.5/10
Ubisoft - 8.5/10
Sony - 8.5/10
Nintendo - 7/10

It was a slower E3 this year, and I'm a huge E3 fanboy. But people are just getting stuff done this year, next year will be the next round of future promises.

Also I don't give Nintendo that much credit for kind of hinting at some games they are kinda maybe working on. But Mario looked dope. We'll never get Animal Crossing again tho... sigh.

Watched Sony/MS/Nintendo/EA

All Dreadful

Microsoft's conference showed that their platform lacks identity and direction (due to the lack of first party output) and the price of the One X is a disaster.

Sony's conference was very boring and devoid of announcements, but at least God of War and Spider Man looked great. Uncharted looked like... Uncharted and so did Day's Gone (with a little bit of TLOU thrown in)! The conference showed that Sony's platform has an identity and is unique, but overall was still rather remarkable.

Nintendo's event showcased a wide range of content, and it also showcased a distinct lack of interest and output from third parties. As usual, if you cared for the Nintendo franchises you're excited, if not, there's nothing of note to write home about. Metroid and Pokemon 'announcements' were interesting, only due to the fact that it kills the argument that Nintendo only announces things when they're close to being done, and it shows that Nintendo definitely has a vested interest in trying to show good output is coming in the pipelines. Definitely fixing a mistake that they made with the WiiU.

Overall: meh/10

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
ELECTRONIC ARTS - 3.0/10
- Conference was what I expected. Anthem was nothing more than a teaser trailer. Need For Speed Payback looks cool but all the best moments appear to be cinematic which kind of defeats the purpose to me. Battlefield 1: In the Name of the Tsar looked good for those still playing the game and wanting new content. Star Wars Battlefront 2 was disappointing since they didn't show any single player content. The best thing about EA's press conference was by far A Way Out which looked great and has an excellent concept behind it. It's the only reason this conference even gets the score it gets.

MICROSOFT - 7.0/10
- Conference started out good with a Scorpio introduction followed by Forza Motorsport 7 which I don't care about it but it looked amazing running of Scorpio. State of Decay 2 looked exactly the same as the original in regards to character models and faces. All the zombies look like they were just ported over from the original game. Disappointing to say the least. Crackdown 3 was another massive letdown. Cel Shaded? Really? It may be a lot of fun but I was expecting Crackdown 3 to be the showcase for Scorpio and in my opinion, it failed. Sea of Thieves impressed me more than the last two games mentioned and I don't even have any interest in it. Even worse was that two of these games are early/mid 2018 releases which was also a disappointment since I was only expecting Sea of Thieves to be delayed into 2018. Went into the conference expecting to be impressed and buy Scorpio day one but no thanks. The beyond horrible name that was given and will most likely be ignored on the packaging just like the "S" model is and the $500 price tag killed my interest in it along with State of Decay 2 being pushed into 2018 and that outside of Ori 2, there weren't any other exclusives that interested me whatsoever. If it wasn't for gameplay videos of Anthem, Assassin's Creed Origins, Metro Exodus and Shadow of War, the conference would be two points lower. Two of these four games were running in 4K checker-boarding while one of them (Metro) was running off a high end power PC. I don't really need to spend $500 on Scorpio when I already own a PS4 Pro and the four best games for me that were shown are multi-platform. The five month wait until release didn't help either. Microsoft and Spencer obviously didn't learn anything four years ago. Scorpio does look sweet though but when the biggest cheer and applause your conference gets is for a 15 year old original Xbox game and backwards compatibility, you know that there's a huge problem.

BETHESDA - 5.0/10
- Conference was boring for me personally until the last two games were shown which I was fully expecting since last year's E3. Have no interest in anything that was shown up to these two games even though the Dishonored 2 expansion seemed interesting and sounded good. The last two games made the conference worth watching though for me. The Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus impressed me to where both are day one purchases. Only complaint is them being in the same month. Wish Wolfenstein could have somehow been released in September. Oh well.

DEVOLVER DIGITAL - 3.0/10
- Only one reason why I gave the score I did. It was for the RUINER trailer which im guessing will be released in 2018 even though it said 2017 at the end of the trailer.

UBISOFT - 7/10
- While I have no interest in the game whatsoever, Beyond Good and Evil 2 being shown with a cinematic trailer was very surprising and a huge positive but sadly, that didn't last long. The Mario/Rabbids RPG looked better than I was expecting and got me interested in the game. South Park: TFBW looked great and should be an excellent sequel. Just Dance 2018 is what it is every year - a few million seller that should get less time because it truly does need a show on stage for it. The Crew 2 looked great and I love the idea of being able to drive/race cars, boats, bikes and planes all in the same game. Definitely has my interest which considering the genre is saying something. Assassin's Creed Origins looked great as expected but didn't blow me away and all my "formula" stuff appears to be gone. Hate the compass garbage and using the eagle is just fucking stupid. Controls and free running/jumping seem to look the same. Combat seems okay at best. Don't like the dodge move which seems to be too much of a dodge. Really wish that they would include decapitations and cutting off limbs because it just comes across as bad in certain situations. Far Cry 5 also eliminated the "formula" stuff that I like and the mini-map. Not happy about that at all. Starlink interests me but it's a wait and see. Skull and Bones was a guaranteed day one buy but then I read that it's online multi-player only and you're literally on the ship all the time. What a shame as I have wanted a pirate game from Ubisoft based on BF/Rogue and they obviously fucked it up. Good overall show but disappointing for me. Splinter Cell being a no show didn't help.

SONY - 8.5/10
- For the third straight year, Sony won E3 in my opinion for one main reason. Their exclusives are simply head and shoulders above everyone else. They all look great, are in a genre I care about and fully appeal to me. Uncharted: TLL and Horizon: TFW will be better than the majority of games that get released this year. Days Gone is my number one most wanted game. Shame it's so far away. God of War looked great and should be out next March so that made me happy. Spider Man completely surprised me and seems like it's Batman Arkham with more verticality. Detroit also looks good. All six of these games/expansions are day one purchases and blow the competition away regardless of the company. Only negatives were the PSVR segment which I don't give two shits about. Monster Hunter and SOTC are huge for some but I don't care about either and think that SOTC was and still is very overrated. Have no interest in Destiny 2 but COD: WWII is day one for me. Surprised that SWBF2, GT Sport and Knack 2 were either a no show or wasted on the pre-show. Enjoyed the show and wasn't expecting any major surprises whatsoever so I came away very happy. Just need the games to get released. LOL.

NINTENDO - 5.0/10
- Super Mario Odyssey looks like it could be one hell of a Mario game this October. Love the 2D effect in the game. Simply amazing. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 look great as well and should be a good game but it's not for me. Have no interest in the Pokémon Switch game announcement or Metroid Prime 4. Was hoping for a 2D Switch Metroid. Have no interest in 2DS/3DS. Zelda DLC seems good and coming out in two weeks. Fire Emblem Warriors, Kirby and Yoshi look good for what they are but im not interested in any of them. Average show for me due to Mario being the only game that I have any interest in. Luckily, my expectations were low so im not disappointed. Happy for those who are interested in the majority of these games. Don't know his name but the guy who said that the show would be focused on 2017 games obviously didn't know what was going to be shown or when because right after he says that, it was two or three 2018 games in a row.

Overall, I enjoyed E3 2017 as for the most part I knew what to expect. After all the conferences were over was where most of the disappointment I had came from. Out of all the conferences, Sony had the best conference overall and had the most games that im buying day one. This would have been Ubisoft but BG&E2 is a fucking disaster and im extremely disappointed in Skull & Bones for various reasons. Sony has become the publisher that appeals and caters to the games I prefer the most - single player. Shame that every other publisher tends to ignore this.

EA - More competent than some years? I'll give them that. Still with extended portions of utter dullness in regards to my own tastes. I did think NFS looked like it could be fun though, and A Way Out showing & the Anthem tease were great imo. Actively was not feeling the Battlefront 2 stuff at all, although I kinda liked the actress who presented that stuff. 5/10

Microsoft - Tons and tons of games, and a new console. I think the X might be a little out of my price range when I'm still honestly not really interested in 4k, but they showcased so many great games and got me excited for the year or so to come. Metro, AC Origins, Ori, Anthem, Forza, Ashen, Crackdown & State Of Decay. So many more between. No nonsense, minimal talking, just a great 2017 gaming showcase. The only thing I can hold against them is a lot of those games weren't inherently theirs, and I could have done with 20 minutes shaved off. 8/10

Bethesda - Not very long but still felt like it could have been a little shorter. The Dishonored Standalone, TEW2 & Wolfenstein 2 all looked really exciting though, particularly the Wolfenstein showcase, which probably bumped the whole thing up a point. Otherwise I would have felt they were better seeding their games on other shows this year. 7/10

Ubisoft - A good amount of stuff for sure and well presented, although none of the new stuff outside of Mario + Rabbids really landed with me personally which drags it down a little. Still looking forward to South Park & Assassin's Creed, although AC at the MS show was a better showing. They tried. 7/10

Sony - Similar to MS, I just thought it was another great showcase of games, especially on the exclusive front. Opened with Uncharted, Horizon, Days Gone, into SoTC, God Of War, Spiderman. Even the pre-show underlined some great stuff coming this year! 8.5/10 (Is that a cheat, using .5?)

Nintendo - A great line-up, if maybe just a little flimsy with some title card promises. Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon...soon. Yoshi & Kirby, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, just great stuff capped with probably my favourite trailer of the show, Mario! A really nice snappy show that kept the hype by keeping it brief. 8/10

Overall, I think Sony did edge it out for me this year, which is funny because my top 3 most exciting games were probably Mario, Ori 2 & Wolfenstein. I just think Sony has the format really down without the extra padding MS had, doing a bit of pre-show work was smart imo. Games, games, games, minimal talking. Sony's was the best viewing experience (for me) but I really really enjoyed watching Microsoft's & Nintendo's shows too. Others had some great, even fantastic games on show, but weren't that exciting to watch or vice versa. I will say I didn't feel anyone had that just jaw dropper brainmelter announcement to pull a 9 or 10/10 out of me, but that's okay. I came out the other side genuinely excited for a ton of games on all formats, and that's good enough for me. A great E3, if not a mindblowing or fantastic one. An overall 8 outta 10

diabl0

I only saw the main 3:

Microsoft - 4/10 - Almost all the games shown didnt enthuse me to be a happy Xbox owner. Anthem and Forza were the only 2 that really caught my eye.

Sony - 5/10 - Slightly better show. God Of War, Spiderman, Uncharted, SOTC were the main high lights. I feel the MVCI trailer was supposed to have followed with a Devil May Cry 5 announcement/trailer, and it certainly pissed myself and alot of people off.

Nintendo - 1/10 - I guess this is personal preference because I never been enthused in Nintendoes franchises. Aside from Zelda DLC, everything else just didnt appeal to me. I wanted to see something from Platinum but we got nothing.Metroid means nothing to me either.

Vinc

EA: 6/10- Their best performance in years. My biggest disappointment is not seeing more of BF2's single player mode, and Anthem's initial trailer fell flat. A Way Out looked FANTASTIC and had a great presentation. Pretty much a perfect game reveal. It was also so nice to see EA invest in such a game. The way they presented the sports games felt surprisingly thoughtful. Basically, I'm knocking off points for the Anthem and BF2 presentations, and some other presentational issues. I feel like with the lineup they had, they did a pretty good job overall. As with every E3 show this year, they lacked surprises, but A Way Out was huge for me.

Microsoft: 2/10- I don't really want to count the 3rd party stuff, since I tend to judge E3 performances based on 2 things: What they bring to the industry in terms of games published, and how confident I feel in their business plan after the presentation. The Microsoft conference made it feel like the Xbox division is completely resources-starved, while also not being particularly efficient with what they do have. It gave me absolutely no reason to invest in their ecosystem, nor did they convince me that they have a sound business plan with a bright future. I actually feel like the situation with them looks increasingly close to a complete catastrophe. Points for finally giving a Cuphead release date, and for Ori 2 being a thing. No surprises either from them. 3rd party stuff was good, but as I said, that's not what I judge them by.

Bethesda: 8/10- I feel completely disconnected from most people with this one. The Wolfenstein presentation was one of the best things at the show. A new standalone Dishonored was one of the few surprises of the show, and The Evil Within 2 looked great. It was short and concise, didn't waste my time, and I loved the presentation, thought it gave off a really nice vibe. I liked this one a lot, and would call this presentation much better than last year's. I like how Bethesda seems to be focused on games coming out shortly each year, and it makes perfect sense since they have no hardware to sell. I also think Pete Hines is a great host. I'm surprised they keep delivering great games to show so consistently. I wonder what we'll see next year... and again... Wolfenstein II looks impossibly good.

Ubisoft: 9/10- This was the best conference of the show. They showed a great variety of games, and all of them looked good. While I didn't personally care about everything, there were several that looked inspiring to me. The presentation also had great pacing, and really conveyed a general passion for making games. I LOVE Aisha and thought I'd miss her this year, and I guess I did in some ways, but the developers did a much better job presenting their games than I expected them to. Presentations felt genuine and passionate, and I really like that. Games are a business, but they're also very much a labor of love, and the presentation of Ubi's conference was a homerun in terms of conveying that. And the BG&E reveal trailer and presentation were extremely well done. Just a great job by Ubi this year.

Sony: 8/10- Everything looked great. The only real surprise was SOTC remake, but that really, REALLY resonated with me since it's pretty much a dream come true in my case. The presentation wasn't as good as last year, and there were no real other megatons, but that's just a symptom of having announced so many games last year. I'm not worried, because what they showed this year was essentially that everything we saw last year is now close to completion, and pretty much showed that next year is going to be just as stellar for PS4 content as this year has been. The games looked fantastic, and the presentation did nothing to worry me about the future of playstation. What they didn't show was just as encouraging as what they did show, because I know they have multiple potential announcements for the future.

Nintendo: 8/10- Much like Sony, Nintendo focused on showing off how great the next year or so will be on the Switch, which is surprising to me because I doubted their ability to release great games consistently after the Switch reveal event. Odyssey is my game of the show and looks stellar, but a confirmation that Xenoblade 2 is this year was also appreciated, and stuff like Kirby and Yoshi really help give us a glimpse of next year's good stuff too. I would've knocked off points for not showing farther off things, as I think it's important to do so as a platform holder, but they announced a new Metroid Prime, and still have teams unaccounted for that could be preparing something big. Great show.

Chris R

Of the big 2, Microsoft had a better event while Sony had better games.

Microsoft's presentation was really well done, even if certain segments ran long. Much better than the slideshow Sony ran.

For the other things happening at E3, Nintendo had a great presence even if nothing they showed has me buying a switch. Still disappointed in their lack VC announcements, switch should already have SNES and GBA games running on it with N64 and GC games coming out this year (complete with the Joycons to play it). Devolver's event was awesome, loved it. Also really enjoyed the Wolfenstein stuff from Bethesda, but nothing Ubisoft showed was of interest to me.

I only watched the big 3.

Xbox 7/10 - Cool new console. I'm looking forward to a lot of the games shown but nothing we didn't already know.

Sony 6/10 - They had big exclusive games but I've seen them before and they didn't sell me on the ones I was on the fence for. Spider-Man came off as underwhelming on the show but I'm still excited for it.

Nintendo 8/10 - Multiple big games coming this year that all look interesting.

gamz

Big three.

MS 7/10
Nintendo 7/10
Sony 5/10

Mixer broadcast 10/10. This was the one thing that blew me away.

EA: 2/10 -- Bland show, no real surprises, except for maybe A Way Out.

Microsoft : 4/10 -- The Xbox One X hardware looked spiffy, but not much in the way of exclusives. Too much reliance on indy... though I guess that is not always a bad thing. Overall, kind of meh.

Bethesda : 7/ 10 -- Wolfienstien The New Colossus had one of the best trailers at the show. I am hyped for The Evil Within 2. The VR stuff looked neat. But they really didn't have much in the way of live presentations. Not terrible, but they could use some work on their presentation.

Devolver Digital : A+/10 -- Seriously, props to Devolver for having some fun with their 'conference'. Even though they didn't actually show much, I think they captured the vibe of that company perfectly.

PC Gamer Show : 6/10 -- It was good, but dragged on for a while. There were some neat reveals, quite a few games in this conference that I am looking forward to. But nothing earth shattering. Better than last years.

Ubisoft : 8/10 -- Yeah, I am ranking this one the highest. Ubisoft had a really concise and focused conference. They started out with a crowd pleaser with Rabbids vs Mario, complete with Miyamoto. They had a good balance of trailer, live game play and presenters. There were a few surprises in their line up, and they ended with Beyond Good and Evil 2, which was a good way to end the conference. Overall, this is one of Ubisoft's better conferences.

Sony : 5/10 -- Sorry Sony. You guys are on fire most years, but this E3 was not one of your strongest. It started out promising with a good pre-show. But once the conference started,... ehh... Spider-Man looked cool, so did the Shadow of the Colossus remake. Not much else really sparked my interest.

Nintendo : 6.5/10 -- Not bad, they focused mostly on 2017 released, Mario looked cool. The Meroid Prime 4 announcement has be interested. But one weird omission was Matroid: Samus Returns on the 3DS. They should have added this one to the main conference as it was a pretty good surprise.

Wamb0wneD

what did he mean by zeroing in on Loudninja's post even though there's literally dozens of posts ITT that look something like

Sony - *score and reasoning*
Microsoft - *score and reasoning*
Devolver - didn't watch lol
Ubisoft - *score and reasoning*
Nintendo - don't give a fuck about them

Good thing then I didn't zero in on him and wondered why people go "didn't watch lulz", especially on Nintendo on the first page alone, which is kinda weird imo.

Dunno why you quote me and don't adress me directly but refer to me as "he" tho. Nice style I guess? Also only watching a single press conference out of like 7 or 8 and then go into an E3 rating thread is kinda nonsensical and more ridiculous that people who go "don't care about NIntendo, Devolver". That's all there is to it, really.

EA: D+ -- The best EA conference I can remember but still not particularly good. They still do some really dumb shit with their sports games (bringing two presenters on stage, paying presenters and famous players to talk up their fake in-game player, etc) and they still spend way too much time on things that aren't that interesting (Battlefront 2 multiplayer)

Microsoft: C- -- Aside from the terrible first 15-20 minutes, a decent presentation but the X's price and their exclusive lineup were absolutely terrible. Announcing that you've got 22 exclusives when like 16 of them are timed exclusive indies is laughable. An embarrassing effort with a hardware launch coming up in just a few months.

Bethesda: D -- The first half was boring as hell, with some weak looking VR support and some mobile stuff I can't remember. Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein 2 were great announcements but they could've spent a lot more time on them. They didn't even show the EW2 gameplay trailer at their conference.

Ubisoft: B+ -- Great presentation, a bunch of new IPs and a fantastic BG&E2 announcement. I originally gave this an A- though, before I remembered the 2008 BG&E2 CG trailer and docked it a few points. Showing me a second CG trailer 9 years later is kinda pathetic.

Sony: B- -- Great games, trailers and demonstrations but they weren't brought together that well and it was too short. Too much focus on games we already knew of, not enough on their new announcements and way too much relegated to the pre-show. Ni no Kuni 2, Hidden Agenda, GT Sport, Superhot VR and Undertale should've been part of the conference. And the VR segment dragged things to a halt, especially Skyrim VR and FFXV Fishing, as they looked terrible. I get why they need to show VR games but they needed to spread them out more.

Nintendo: B- -- A fast paced little presentation but Reggie's monologues were terrible. Xenoblade 2 and Mario looked fantastic. Kirby and Yoshi were decent little announcements. The Fire Emblem Warriors trailer was poor. Metroid Prime 4 was a huge announcement but could've been done better. They should've announced Samus Returns first, as part of the showcase, then led directly into Metroid Prime 4. Oh and the Pokemon Switch announcement was absolutely terrible.

Sony Conference (4.5/10): The same as last year, boring 3rd party trailers (Destiny 2 zzz), no TLOU 2 (??????????), GOW looked good but it isn't enough. SOTC/10.

Microsoft Conference (8.5/10): A lot of games (42!!), lots of announcements, Ori, The last night, Anthem, Forza they all look awesome. Not higher because Crackdown 3 looks lame and scorpio is $500.

Nintendo Spotlight (6/10): Reggie talking nonsense for like what 5 minutes? in a 25 min conference, showing Rocket League 2 times in the same direct (WTF), Xeno2 and FEW meh trailers. MP4 and Pokemon were big but they weren't really there. Mario Odyssey/10.

Nintendo (overall E3) (9/10)

Ubi(7/10): Mario+Rabbids looked solid and BG&E2 was pure HYPE. Meh trailer for FarCry and skullandbones :puke:

EA(3/10): Battlefront looks complete this time? i don't know.

SalvaPot

Ubi did much better that anyone predicted, Nintendo knocked it out of the park. Don't really care about the others.

8/10 Ubi, 10/10 Nintendo

9/10 overall for me.

I only really watched 2 conferences:

Microsoft - 6/10 - XboneX is pretty impressive hardware, and while I think the price is appropriate for what they are bringing, it may hurt it reletive to the competition. Otherwise, I thought their games showing was weak, particularly games which differeniated them from say PS4 - lots of Indie games, many of them great looking, but not showcases for why anyone would go with Xbox, since they mostly be coming to PS4. Only Anthem seemed to showcase the XboneX, so that was a weak showing for the hardware overall, and the only other game that caught my attention was Ori. Overall I felt reveal was even worse than the initial Pro reveal, which I remember being pretty poor. 6/10 mostly for the great hardware and amount of games.

Sony -7/10 - Sony's conference was also somewhat weird, as it was mostly just a sequence of trailers, rather than any sort of presentation. It was definitely weaker than the previous two years, and they didn't announce many new games. However, they didn't really need to. They currently have a much stronger line up than MS, and the stuff they have showed looked impressive. 2018 is looking like another excellent year for the console.

sphinx

the piano man
it's really interesting to read this opinions.

tons of people that say this E3 was absolute shit, i guess it depends on what you are looking for.

as someone who absolutely LOVES the Metroid and Evil Within series, this E3 was clearly the best in the last 10 years, hands down, there's no comparison.

if you don't care about those though, yeah better luck next time :)

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Ea- 4/10
Bethesda- 6/10 ( 4 points just for wolfenstein 2)
MS- 6/10
Ubisoft - 7/10
Sony - 6.5 /10 (Monster Hunter/SoT)
Devolver - I like the idea but it really wasn't that funny. The host acted really well though
Nintendo - Didn't watch

Overall 6/10 - Some cools games but no major things or new discoveries that we didn't know about, and there weren't that many gameplay demos to get me hyped

Was alright. A lot of stuff we've seen before however, some gems in there that I'm really excited for, like Monster Hunter World, Anthem, DBZ and SotC. Don't feel comfortable putting numbers on conferences themselves due to not watching them all and it's all arbitrary anyway.

dottme

MS : I was expecting a lot. They were coming with a new hardware to show off. There was a lot of games, maybe too many. I forgot about most of them. Also, they were saying exclusive all the time and then you have to focus for the 2 seconds at the beginning of the trailer to know if it is console exclusive, time exclusive, bullshit...
And they know they messed up the price of the X1X when they quickly announced it without even one slide.

Ubisoft: That is probably the best one I've seen. The Mario X rabbits looks fun. The egypt era for Assassin Creed interest me. Beyond Good and Evil ohs promising.
And the Yves/Shigure/Davide section was fun to watch and show developer loving what they are doing.

Nintendo: I like what they've done. It was short and go straight to the point. Also they keep some announcement for later in the show.

Ubisoft: 8/10 Pretty damn good feel good conference. Lots of new good looking games, presenters were chill enough while not looking like tryhards. A big surprise for me, MvR with miyamoto and the so proud he's almost crying dev looking super fun, Egyptian AC looked amazing, Pirate game looked very chaotically fun and more, BG&E is probably my trailer of the show, chav monkeys, I love it. Very good ubi, keep it up next year.

Sony 7/10 No surprises here but good games. And most importantly good exclusives you can only play on the PS4. But most of them were known well before hand. I also really liked the stage set pieces, the 4 indian instruments + violin, the snow effect, the zombies hanging from the ceiling, the torches, the swinging screen in spiderman, loved that. Conference really made me want to but a PS4 more.

Bethesda 5/10: Wolfenstien looked good. I liked how they made devs look like real people at the start. The themepark aesthetic was cool, but not many games I cared about.

EA 5/10: NFS looking like burnout and that coop jailbird game looked great, nothing impressive otherwise. 30min long bf2 thing was way overkill.

Microsoft 4/10: lots of good games, but one problem, no real exclusives. There were a lot of games that made me want to play them, 0 that made me want an xbone. A good video game conference, an atrocious xbone conference. Stage looked nice tho. And anthem looked great, but again, Multiplat game, so who cares from an xbone pushing perspective, conference left me with no desire to own one.

PC Gaming 3/10: Pretty boring but some good moments, specially that mechwarrior strategy game and the pixelly game with realistic water/rain, 30 min long intel shill sucked, tuned out 20 mins before it ended.

Nintendo 3/10, Odyssey looked amazingly good, MP4 announcement will hopefully result in another great game, rest was a boring waste of time, impressive considering it was only like 25 mins long. Ubisoft had a better nintendo press conference than Nintendo did by far.

MVP: Devolver digital. I don't like top down shooters so both games were moot for me but the Suda tease and the insane press conference were the most fun I've had watching E3 since that infamous konami one.

E3 in general 5/10, pretty boring, Ubi is carrying it conference wise, and indies gamewise.

urge26

EA - Hot Garbage
Microsoft - Wendys
Bethesda - Five Guys
UBISoft - Ruth's Chris
Devolver - White Castle
Sony - McDonalds
Nintendo - In-N-Out

EA = 7/10 It was alright. Very corporate but good - high quality presentation. Influencer shit was rubbish. NFS + Anthem + SWBF2 were cool

MS = its a nothing conference and lets be honest, I'm not interested in it because of their lack of real exlusives. 5/10

Devolver was alright then it was stupid and I think it's a waste of time. 3/10 - makes me think less of their brand to be honest

Ubisoft - 6/10 - awful presentation that was too cgi heavy - I might be msising the games they have that I care about but I wished they showed more FarCry 5. Assasin creed stuff I dont care about too much

Sony - needed real people on stage. No new games but what they showed were games I want. Wish they had presenters talking about stuff. They should have moved some preshow games to the actual conference and did a cool game showreel which they tend to have in the past. 8/10

Nintendo. Didnt watch the conference but them having metroid back and the new odyssey looking really good has me interested in their platform but not by much - 6/10

BethesdaLand presentation was pretty hot garbage and the only thing I walkeda way excited about was wolfenstein. Bad. 4/10

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Surprised at the Nintendo love. E3 is all about surprises and they really didn't show anything interesting that we didn't already know looked great, and even then it was only 1 game.

I expected a lot more from Nintendo this year.

Every year I bitch about Nintendo's format, but I gotta give it to them. They know what they are doing.

I just wish the presentation was a bit longer, it was over by the blink of an eye.

I like how they spread game announcements (and amiibos) through the two or three? days of Treehouse livestream.

Surprised at the Nintendo love. E3 is all about surprises and they really didn't show anything interesting that we didn't already know looked great, and even then it was only 1 game.

I expected a lot more from Nintendo this year.

TBH it felt like the 3 console makers all had a meeting before E3 this year and everyone agreed not to announce anything surprising, interesting or compelling.

EA: 3/10
Microsoft: 7/10
Bethesda: 6/10
Devolver: ???/10
Ubisoft: 7/10
Sony: 4/10
Nintendo: 6/10

Rough year. But there's always next year!!

Strings

A Way Out looks cool. 'Influencer' presenters and actors coming out in character are still among the worst ideas ever.

Microsoft: 4/10
Overlong and under-curated, with two super dodgy-looking true exclusives (State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3).

Bethesda: 5/10
'Bethesda-land' concept was presented poorly, but Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein 2 both look good-great.

Ubisoft: 5/10
Mario + Rabids presentation was good, and everything else was okay. Another BG&E 2 trailer, yay?

Sony: 7/10
Very light on new, 'holy shit!' reveals, but the returning titles look great and the presenter-lite style is still superior. Monster Hunter World is an exciting move for the franchise.

Devolver Digital: 0/10
I hate the Eric Andre show.

Nintendo: 5/10
Actually a 3/10 if we're talking direct, and 7/10 if we're talking ensuing hours of treehouse. Phenomenal amount of wasted time in the already super-short direct, with Rocket League revealed twice and Reggie quoting his Art of War fan-fic.

The Xenoblade Chronicles 2 trailer was extremely disappointing, and Kirby and Yoshi look just like more recent Kirby and Yoshi (both of which are my least favourite incarnations). Telling me I'll get a Switch Pokemon in over a year is the exact same as telling me nothing, while announcing Metroid Prime 4 similarly is slightly better, but still incredibly aggravating.

The Mario Odyssey trailer is the best Nintendo has produced in fooorever. Game looks absolutely phenomenal, and addresses my number one issue with 3D World (the lack of creativity).

Onto treehouse - I have very few complaints. Samus Returns looks great and should have been in the direct. FE Warriors doesn't look great, but the gameplay still should have been in the direct. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 gameplay looks significantly better than the trailer, and definitely should have been in the direct.

Mario Odyssey looks even better than the trailer.

Overall, 5/10 E3, with Sony and Nintendo propping up everyone else.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
TBH it felt like the 3 console makers all had a meeting before E3 this year and everyone agreed not to announce anything surprising, interesting or compelling.

Wasn't the greatest moment for any of them. However, I did feel like Sony had the best showings of content at the show, even if much of it wasn't new. Sort of to be expected after having two pretty spectacular E3s in a row for 2015 and 2016.

Microsoft and Nintendo I expected much more, given that they've been very sparse on announcements and have new hardware to sell. Microsoft's didn't sell me on Xbox One X, and while I already have a Switch, I felt like they could have done a lot more to sell me on future content (whether that be Wii U ports or more 2018 game info). Given how lackluster their games have been a few years prior to the Switch launch I felt they were holding back more content.

EA: 6/10, presentation was garbage, but they have a lot of good stuff in the pipeline. Really needed to see Visceral Star Wars game to make this conference great.

MS: 7/10, lots of amazing games show, presentation was good and pacing was also nice. Biggest problem is all the highlights are 3rd party multi-plats. MS first party is still shockingly thin.

Bethesda: 5/10, Wolfenstein 2 looks greay, but that's it. Why even show up with this non-show. Also, please never show Skyrim at E3 again, k thx.

Devolver Digital: 11/10 GOAT

Ubisoft: 8/10, The formula may be overused, but they consistently put out solid stuff and Mario+Rabbids is the dark horse hit of E3.

Sony: 7/10, the presentation was outstanding and first party lineup solid, but only showing primarily new trailers for previously announced games is a snoozer. MH:W was the only AAA announcement. Sony blew their load last 2 years.

Nintendo 6/10, we already knew Mario would be great, everything else was fluff.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
How in the world is that nothingburger of a Nintendo conference ahead at all, let alone by that ridiculous margin? Man, some of you guys are easy marks.

wachie

How in the world is that nothingburger of a Nintendo conference ahead at all, let alone by that ridiculous margin? Man, some of you guys are easy marks.
Yeah I find it baffling ... maybe it's something when compared to previous Nintendo showings.

For me, all conferences were below par but I had to pick any, it would be Sony, just for Spiderman alone.

cornerman

I don't look at E3 for presentation as much as I look at what's being offered to me, and what direction companies are going and what problems they are addressing.

Microsoft: C-
Both Sony and MS have had a ton of indie support throughout the years(Sony may have more of you're counting, but I mean there are enough that there's more than anyone can possibly play). There are so many of them, no show can hold them all. And normally we see the cream of the crop get thrown in sizzle reels. This happens every year for both consoles. Before E3 Ms fans were wondering where the bigger games were, and looking to E3. And what I got from their conference was let's take all those indie games we've been getting and give them more time, and position them like they're exclusive. Let's hit our audience with quantity. So you have people wearing 'I'll witnessed the most powerful console on earth' shirts watching games that wouldn't tax the baseline Xbox. Most of it was multiplatform, and the true exclusives looked (outside of Forza) looked like they could run on a 360. For all the people who were complaining before E3, seems to me that they'll be complaining again here soon. Nothing has really changed.

Sony: B
Say what you want about presentation or hype, but Sony is still far and away the best place for games imo. The preshow and show floor illustrate that they've got all the indie and mid tier games you get from MS's conference and they standalone when it comes to bigger titles varying in genre. Youve got a roadmap of gaming from now til the end this year and on to 2018. So while a good portion of the conference was a retread of things we knew we're coming, I think the practical ramifications of their offerings will win the day. The media and streamers will make that apparent when they're filling the channels with coverage of their games. Sony needed to make good on the things they've had waiting in the wind. When the complaints of boredom at this year's E3 wane in the following weeks, it'll be the games that we are playing that will dominate the conversation and Sony will own most of that.

Nintendo: Nintendo
Nintendo is going to Nintendo, good or bad. They aren't held to the same standard by consumers, by media, and maybe even their competitors.if you're not a fan, it's likely they did nothing to win you over...if you are, it probably largely depends if they come around to announcing the title you've been waiting them to get back to. For me, I'm only interested in a baby's handful of their games so I largely ignore them.

3rd parties. They all average out the second for me. They each had 2 or 3 games I was interested in. EA with a way out and anthem. Ubisoft with South Park, beyond good and evil. Bethesda with Wolfenstein...and I'm thinking on evil within 2.

For the Big 3, my personal ratings would be:

Microsoft: B-
Sony: B-
Nintendo: B

Microsoft had a solid amount of good games to show off, even if only a handful personally interest me, with DBZ FighterZ being my personal highlight from their E3. Seriously, it looks gorgeous and, of course, it being accessible means me and my friends can get into it easily. Oh and Xbox BC is pretty cool. I enjoyed Sony's about the same as, despite only focusing on a handful of titles, the handful they showed off interest me more, such as the SotC remake or Spiderman, albeit I'm a bit cautious about the latter. SotC especially looks great to me because I loved SotC on the PS2. I enjoyed Nintendo's the most, with Super Mario Odyssey being my personal GOTS, proper confirmation that the Switch is their entire future going forward with the mainline Pokemon games and Fire Emblem coming to it, and, surprisingly, Skyrim, Mario Rabbids, and Fifa 18 looking like solid third party titles. Granted, overall third party support is weak at the moment but I think it should improve over time on the Japanese side

I don't know. Why do some people in here find Sony's E3 to be the best this year or Microsoft's or Ubisoft's? It all comes down to personal preference at the end anyways. Don't know why some folk here care if others liked there conference

Cerium

Destructoid's poll.

A1-noscale.jpg

Only other poll I could find is Kotaku Australia and that one is even more lopsided.

If anything GAF liked it less than most. It's fine that you don't agree but at some point you gotta accept you're not most people.

EA: 2/10
Microsoft: 5/10
Bethesda: 3/10
Devolver: Didn't watch.
Ubisoft: 4/10
Sony: 5/10
Nintendo: Didn't watch.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I watch the Devolver show but right now I'm leaning towards being dissatisfied on the whole. Very, very lukewarm E3 shower.

LordGideon

Neo Member
Giant Bomb Night Shows: 10/10

BANG ON.

I think most of what we were going to see was known, save for Last Night, Anthem, and Wolfenstein: Shadow of the Colossus. No massive surprises.

Phil Spencer has stated that there are large scale exclusives in the pipeline for Xbox. At this point, I believe next year will be the bigger E3. PS4 Pro and XBOX will have been going head to head for months at that point. Price drops? Halo? New IP?

An awkward presentation as usual for EA on top of a heap of their usual games that continue to remain unappealing to me. At least the Star Wars Battlefront II story mode stuff looked good but the multiplayer was dragged the fuck out. Everything else was awkwardly presented or announced and just didn't grab or hold my attention. This presentation looked like it was made for the adult "bro" audience and investors.

MS: 5/10
Dragon Ball FighterZ and Anthem both looked pretty awesome and saved the presentation for me. XB1X looks hot but MS still missed the mark on 1X price and it felt like they chose to show mostly multiplatform games; most of which did not appeal to my personal tastes. Nothing in the first party line up really grabbed me either, especially in comparison to Sony and Nintendo. I hope we see some more new IPs from MS because I'm just not feeling Lucky and Sea of Thieves myself. After the Scalebound cancelation I was expecting more from MS 1st party. I miss the days when Bungie, Remedy, Bioware, Epic and Bizarre creations were all practically exclusive to Xbox under their publishing umbrella. That made 1st party competition far more interesting.

Bethesda: 5/10
Evil Within 2 was a nice reveal but everything else that was shown/announced was honestly forgettable to me. I remember the new Wolfenstein not grabbing my interest. There was also some Fallout and Skyrim VR stuff and other stuff that didn't really appeal to me. I feel like Bethesda could honestly use more genre variety in their current lineup.

Ubisoft: 6/10
The Mario Rabbids game looked good and the Beyond Good and Evil 2 resurgence was a pleasant surprise. I wish we had gotten some game play of Beyond Good and Evil 2 alongside its announcement though. I personally find Assasains boring as a franchise overall and Far Cry I haven't liked since the first game but I also have moved away from first person games mostly. South Park looks great but I had hoped I'd be playing that by now. Everything else shown there was forgettable for me.

Sony: 8/10
Shadow of the Colossus is my all time favorite game and what was shown of the remake looked fantastic. I have my doubts though since Blue Point is largely in charge of the project and they have really only done remasters so far and Ueda and Gen Design don't seem to be heavily involved. I love the new direction God of War is heading; I feel like this has become Sony's flagship 1st party series and the new trailer was epic. Detroit is reminding me of Heavy Rain with much better writing and presentation; kinda bummed they didn't detail a release window though. Days Gone looks like creepy, open world fun I'd like to see more gameplay though. Spider-Man was my personal game of the show and an excellent closer. Would have liked to see more of the third party exclusives at the show like Ni No Kuni 2 and Dissidia NT. Monster Hunter does nothing for me and just made me wish we had gotten Devil May Cry 5 from Capcom instead. The MvC Infinite demo was an unexpected little surprise.

Nintendo: 7/10
The Metroid Prime 3DS game looks amazing and Super Mario Odyssey looks brilliant. Metroid Prime 4 was a great surprise and I can't wait to see how the series adapts to the Switch. I always hate it when announcements are limited to logos only though. Everything Nintendo 1st party is putting out looks like it is worth a try. They kept things short, to the point and interesting.

Top Bottom