• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 conference and event rating thread

Best E3 conference?

Results are only viewable after voting.
EA: 1/5
More sports than the Xbox One disaster reveal. We got to see Star Wars, but for way too long.
(edit: How did I forget about Anthem "we're not showing it here, wait for Microsoft" tease? Come on, that was a dumb one)

Microsoft: EXCLUSIVE 3/5
New machine, but the only game that actually showed it off well was Forza.

Bethesda: 2/5
Wolfenstein II, yay. And that was the only important bit in this. They're trying paid mods again that nobody liked in the first place.

Devolver Digital: Didn't watch 1/10
By making their thing last 10 FUCKING HOURS and then scheduling it on a work day (EU), they ensured I'm never going to be able to watch it all. If you're doing a thing where you just "have to be there to witness it", put it on a fucking Saturday night (making it Sunday morning for Europe). Even Americans may have had trouble staying up for the whole night, Monday being a work day and all.

PC Gaming Show: 3/5
Guy hosting this was more genuine than anyone else. Way too much cringy Intel marketing, but I'll let it pass because someone has to sponsor this. This show also shows how different my tastes are from most PC gamers, as I don't really care for most of the exclusive genres. Also I don't think they should be showing the Windows 10 exclusives because UWP is a threat to personal computing as we know it - RIP modding.

Ubisoft: 4/5
Actual video game announcements. New video games. That AC Origins moment where they just filmed a dim monitor was silly, but they redeemed that by showing it actually off directly after. Best of the show.

Sony: 1/5
By having almost no new games to show us, the No Talking format's weaknesses really show. This entire thing was just video files being played back to back. That's not why I watch E3 and if this garbage is what Sony will be in the future, they should consider doing announcements Nintendo Direct style.

Nintendo: didn't watch
I have no intention of buying a Switch.

Overall E3: 2/5
Shittiest one I've ever seen and I've been watching since 2012. I can barely remember any new game announcements. Ubisoft saved it.

Philippo

All in all i'm satisfied.
The number of "megatons" was lower than past few years (especially on Sony's side), but i feel like every company learned (again, from Sony) how to deliver a better press conference in terms of pacing and presentation.
I'm okay with less jaw dropping conferences as long as they're enjoying to watch.
Hope this lessons carry to next year, and everyone will find an even better balance between talks, annoincements, aready known titles, trailers and live demos.

EA 5/10 = New games, not so much focus on sports, Anthem half-assed reveal, no BF2 campaign, too much influencers shit, shout out to A Way Out

Microsoft 7/10 = Good Xbox showing, bad Scoprio showing, first party output beyond disappointing, good pacing

Bethesda 6/10 = new games only in the second half of the conference

Devolver Insanity/10 = ???

Ubisoft 8/10 = lots of games, some really passionate developers, good balance between talks and videos, Mario+Rabbids surprised everyone

Sony 7/10 = good pacing, but probably a midpoint talk would have been a bit better, nice the focus on already announced games, its okay to not drop giant bombs left and right after two years in a row, too much content kept outside the conference (NnK2, GtSport, Knack 2)

Nintendo 6/10 = too short, too much dialogue, Pokémon Switch and Metroid Prime 4 were bad announcements with nothing to show, the rest was okay

Gowans

EA 5/10
Microsoft 9/10
Bethesda 4/10
Ubisoft 8/10
Sony 7/10
Nintendo 7/10

Overall 7/10

Tonnes of good stuff all round,hyped for Xbox One x and too many games to buy. Including a Ps4 pro for Spiderman

[Never got around to watching Bethesda's, so I won't be scoring that one]

EA - 6/10

Aside from some of the most hilarious and cringey public speaking faux pas I've ever seen in one conference, the reveals and games shown off really weren't bad. A Way Out was a tremendous standout, Battlefront looks excellent, NFS looks pretty fun, and there was a semi-interesting tease for Bioware's IP. There was no final reveal though (I was really hoping to see more of Visceral's SW game), which was a bit disappointing. Plus there was way, way too much filler. Overall I'm glad I tuned in. If nothing else, watching the YouTube guy freeze up was comedy gold.

Xbox - 4/10

This conference had its moments, but it was also very emblematic of Xbox's problems at the moment. While the One X looks sleek, the game premieres did nothing to sell their new box. Not when you consider how many of the games shown were timed exclusives, how many were multiplatform, and how few were first party. What does an Xbox One owner have to look forward to that no one else does? I mean, apart from the couple of console exclusives and some timed ones? That's the question I went into this conference with, and I don't think Microsoft did a very good job delivering the answer to that question.

Sony - 6.5/10

Not every year can be a megaton year, and I completely understand that. Even so, it's hard to ignore the fact that this conference could have been so much better with better planning. So many great games, from Undertale to GT Sport to Ni No Kuni II, were wasted on the pre-show while the actual conference was left with a horrible snooze fest of a VR segment. Had they swapped the VR portion with all of the pre-show announcements, I think Sony's conference would've been much, much better. Obviously after Sony's last couple years it's hard not to be disappointed.

Ubisoft - 8/10

Ubisoft did a killer job just making me smile. The Crew​ 2 looks fun, Mario + Rabbids looked surprisingly good (and of course Miyamoto and Yves having fun on stage was a blast), and even Assassin's Creed looks good this year. The fact that they've barely even started Beyond Good and Evil 2 puts a little bit of a damper on that announcement, but it was a cool surprise nonetheless. I never thought I'd say this about an Ubi press conference, but... Well done, Ubisoft.

Nintendo: 8/10

Nintendo conferences tend to completely bomb just as often as they impress, but they had a pretty slick presentation this year. In my 20 years as a gamer, I don't think I have ever shouted, smiled, and laughed at a trailer as much as I did with Super Mario Odyssey's. That game single-handedly made up for Reggie's nonsense philosophical ramblings, the complete lack of anything for Metroid Prime apart from an announcement, and more paint-by-numbers Kirby and Yoshi games, so soon after we've already gotten games in those franchises. Prime 4 was a killer announcement despite the lack of trailer, and the fact that they're even developing it at all, despite the series' weak sales, shows that Nintendo isn't completely tone-deaf to what its fans want. And that was a real worry after E3 2015. Overall this year's presentation signaled that Nintendo has learned a lot of tough lessons after the Wii U, and it's clear they're ensuring that the Switch is a robust platform going forward.

Edit:
Overall - 6.5/10

This E3 was overall pretty underwhelming. Microsoft and Sony both were disappointing. Nintendo and Ubi were the highlights I think.

EA: 4/10

Enjoyed A Way Out, and I am looking forward to Battlefront (even if I found the commentary as abysmal as ever). Too much of a focus on the culture around the games, rather than the games itself. Was pretty bored for long segments of the show.

Microsoft: 7/10

Thought it was a decent showing. Sea of Thieves looks like it's coming along, and the Xbox BC news was welcome. Wasn't into the car talk, and unveiling the new Porsche was as silly as always, but it was a decent conference.

Bethesda: 2/10

Wolfenstein looks great, I have nothing else good to say. The conference was pointless and they didn't have essentially anything new to show aside from Wolfenstein and Evil Within 2 (which was hardly anything). Just terrible all around.

Ubi: 8/10

As many others have said, surprisingly​ good! I usually hate watch their conference, but they did just fine. Rabbids x Mario looks way more fun than it has any right to, and the setting of the new AC at least has my temporary interest (more than any of the previous games). That pirate game looked neat, and bringing in BGE2 was fun even if I'm not into the original.
Far Cry 5 might be enough to get me back into the series, but I am a bit disappointed that the tone seems way more familiar than the original reveals led us to believe

Sony: 6/10

Solid showing, but very bland. SoC saved it for me, and Spiderman looks like it's shaping up nicely. I'm looking forward to God of War more than I thought I would, but no update of Last of Us 2 was disappointing. Days Gone continues to bore me, and the entire conference just felt a bit impersonal. Would have liked for them to talk about the future of PSN.

Nintendo: 7/10

More than I expected, less than I hoped. Metroid Prime was thrown out there to appease fans, but having no info doesn't exactly generate hype. Them getting out front and saying "A Pokemon RPG is being developed for Switch" seemed like a silly bandaid over people being upset that US&M aren't coming to the Switch. Of course Switch Pokemon games are being developed, it would be idiotic not to. Mario Odyssey looks absolutely phenomenal, and I cannot wait to put so much god damn time into that game. Props for not really spending time on Splatoon 2, as that game is a known quantity (that I'm getting day one)

Overall: 6/10

Only Bethesda and EA had the truly poor conferences, Ubi was the clear winner for me which is still an incredibly odd thing to say. A lot of known quantities at this year's E3, but there certainly won't be a shortage of games to play in the latter half of this year.

Devolver: 10/10

Nimby

Banned
EA: 2/10, Need for Speed was the only thing remotely interesting for me
Microsoft: 7/10, No *monumental* first party titles but good third party reveals
Bethesda: 3/10, The format was good, but the meat of the conference wasn't revealed to the end. Also no first party Bethesda title.
Ubisoft: 7/10, I'm fairly interested in most of the games shown for a change
Sony: 7/10, What Microsoft didn't have Sony did, and vice versa for me. Both decent.
Nintendo: 9/10, Lots of good titles in works for the Switch, Odyssey looks amazing and the release was sooner than expected. Not a game in that conference I wouldn't play.
Devolver: Didn't watch

LordRaptor

PCGS was the only one that actually inspired any form of emotion in me (I genuinely LOLed at the "I'm a pretty cool guy" bit) so wins

JusDoIt

EA A Way Out, Anthem, Need Fast Speed Furious, and The Shiva saved this from total disaster. C-

MS Lots of games, no exclusive surprises, though. Also, $500. C

Bethesda Wolfenstein II. Also, Billie Lurk. B-

Devolver What the fuck was that? A/F

Ubi Beyond Good and Evil II is a great CG trailer. Too bad it ain't a game yet. Shout out to Nubian assassins. B

Sony No new announcements. Fewer release dates. Wall-to-wall hype gameplay trailers and that surprise Shadow of the Colosssus remake, though. Very mixed bag. C

Nintendo Two Metroid games. One in the distant future, one in 240p. A-

Overall E3 C+

Hastati

EA: 2/10, Need for Speed was the only thing remotely interesting for me
Microsoft: 7/10, No *monumental* first party titles but good third party reveals
Bethesda: 3/10, The format was good, but the meat of the conference wasn't revealed to the end. Also no first party Bethesda title.
Ubisoft: 7/10, I'm fairly interested in most of the games shown for a change
Sony: 7/10, What Microsoft didn't have Sony did, and vice versa for me. Both decent.
Nintendo: 9/10, Lots of good titles in works for the Switch, Odyssey looks amazing and the release was sooner than expected. Not a game in that conference I wouldn't play.
Devolver: Didn't watch

The bolded is a nice, concise way of explaining why the conferences were both net positives. Together they really did cover everything, especially since MS games are also available on PC and other consoles. And that's before taking into account Ubisoft and Nintendo. As a multiplatform gamer who enjoys different genres this E3 was a fun ride, purely from the perspective of games in and of themselves before the politics of exclusivity and pricing come into play.

Worst non waggle filled E3 in a long time.

Not a single new indie game caught my eye (usually a ton do).

The only AAA games that made me even add them to my gamefly que let alone consider buying them were Rabbids X-Com and Assassins creed (didn't look that good but I'm a sucker for that series), and Modor 2.

I will say both Mario Odessey and Wolfenstein 2 looked cool but I'm not really into fps campaigns or 3d platformers.

EA- 2/10 Tons of PR speak and nothing shown of actual interest besides battlefront 2.

Microsoft - 3/10 Again tons of PR speak and nothing shown that was theirs that actually interested me. It was better than EA though not by much. Especially weak considering their biggest game was an EA IP that was my most hated style of trailer for showcasing a video game.

Bethesda - 5/10 Had Wolfenstein 2 and Evil Within 2 which both looked good but also had a ton of terrible crap as well that felt like nonsense. I did some things that just reminded me how terrible of a company they can be sometimes.

PCgamer - 6/10 had some cool indie titles and got to see some stuff for games I really enjoy. Intel ruined a large part of it but the host made up for it.

Ubisoft - 8/10 It had some really great games shown. While a few annoying moments from presenters they were there to show their games and not rail off a bunch of terrible nonsense and forcing people to clap. Had plenty of games that were pretty interesting to me.

Sony - 7/10 Non stop games no bullshit lots of gameplay that looks pretty interesting. The only thing I really wanted was something big that was new from them but overall it was great for me.

Nintendo - 7/10 Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 carried the show for me. I don't like announcements that have nothing to show for it so that kinda dragged it down for me. Made me want a switch though.

Devolver Digital - 9/10 Amazing it was more of a satire on E3 and game conferences in general but I did enjoy how Ruiner looked. So gave me some great laughs and a game I really enjoyed in a small package plus their after show had some interesting games and good humor as well.

It was ok started off really slow but ended with some good conferences. Surprised me that Ubisoft had the best show out of the big guys as I haven't liked a conference of theirs in years.

eXMomoj

Here are my scores and my highlights of each conference:

EA: 5/10; A Way Out
Microsoft: 7/10; Xbox One X, Anthem
Bethesda: 6/10; Wolfenstein II, Evil Within 2
Ubisoft: 6/10; Beyond Good & Evil 2
Sony: 8/10; Days Gone, God of War, Spiderman, SotC Remake
Nintendo: 6/10; Super Mario Odyssey

Metroid Prime 4 announcement was cool, but we literally know nothing or have seen anything. Microsoft conference could've really used some interesting new exclusive IPs. Sony did well, but I don't think they'll ever be able to easily top their E3 2016 conference. Overall, I feel like E3 was sort of weak this year...

jobrro

Microsoft: 7/10. Games weren't exciting but they revealed the Xbox X and OG Xbox BC. Without those two reveals I'd probably put it on par with Sony.

Sony 5/10: Nothing exciting in terms of new games and not overly interested in the games they are currently showcasing. They are probably keeping them up their sleeves for PSX. Can't really think of anything exciting here. Still no PS1 games on the PS4. Actually Spider-man looks good. But besides that not a lot for me in this one.

Nintendo 8.5/10: Shocked Nintendo won for me, what I least expected. Mario looked great. Pokemon mainline confirmed for Switch. Metroid Prime 4 announced and I appreciate they announced it early.

Wamb0wneD

Seeing at least 3 people on the first page who watched everything but Nintendo, noone who skipped only Sony, MS or something else. Whatswrongwithyou.gif

EA 1/10 Just... Ugh. Seriously, they could at least try. Also i think they were the only ones with ingame fake chatter this time.
Bethesda 5/10 4 of those points are for Wolfenstein and Evil Within 2.
MS 3/10 4K THO! At least they had some neat 3rd party exclusives... i guess.
Ubi 5/10 In hindsight what we learned about BGE2 turned me off...hard. The Rabbids game looks surprisingly good though.
Sony 7/10 Not much new stuff, GOW and SotC remake got me quite pumped though.
Nintendo 8/10 Also not much new stuff. But i waited almost a decade for some Prime news. also Odyssey looks fucking ace.

6/10 over all. Loved some things but too much underwhelming stuff and filler this year.

God of War ,Days Gone and Spider-man look fantastic to me not to mention the great VR support.

Shadow Colossus and Monster hunter were very nice surprises.

That's not how this thread works. I know you wouldn't talk about anything but Sony even if someone would put a gun to your head but..That's not the thread for it lol.

dr_rus

hey you 7 people that voted bethesda,

was it Wolfenstein or Evil Within 2?

if nintendo hand't announced metroid I woulve have voted bethesda for EW2,

Both, plus more Dishonored. I rate E3 conferences by the amount of surprise announcements mostly and Beth's conference was the only one which had any (no interest in Nintendo stuff though).

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
EA - 1/10
Microsoft - 6/10
Bethesda - 4/10
Ubisoft - 8/10
Sony - 6/10
Nintendo - 7/10

EA - Didn't watch
Microsoft - C+
Bethesda - C-
Devolver Digital - Didn't watch
PC Gamer Show - Didn't watch
Ubisoft - Didn't watch
Sony - C+
Nintendo - B-

Ogodei

Only really care about the big 3:

Microsoft: 6/10. They've got the new hardware which is always bonus points for an E3, although they didn't really show the thing's paces. Some solid wins in their announcements and it feels like they're regaining some of their zeitgeist back as the underdogs against Sony (especially as crossplay starts to become the issue where Sony's the odd man out). It was good to see them throw out a fresh-looking lineup in a year when they had no Halo or Gears, a nice bounce back after Scalebound got cancelled.

Sony: 5/10. Mostly good stuff that we already know about. Didn't do bad, didn't astound or amaze.

Nintendo: 7/10. Few surprises of substance (Metroid Prime 4 made my jaw hit the floor but immediately cutting to Yoshi with no details was kind of a dick move), but they have a hot-ass lineup for the rest of the year and are still trading on Switch hotness. Only reason they're over Microsoft for me, probably, is the Metroid II announcement though, so i could see cause to put them level with MS.

I think it ends up being Nintendo's year just because of how excited people are by the Switch. Having tournaments for ARMS and Splatoon 2 was really clever on Nintendo's part because it shows the unique features of the hardware and really shows how much fun people have actually playing the games. After this year and the E3 Smash tournament back in 2014, this should start happening more often (like Sony helping Capcom with a Super Street Fighter V tournament at PSX or something)

Vinter

It was one of the more boring E3's I can remember, but I suppose Nintendo actually had one of the better ones this year. They actually made me want to buy a Switch. Most disappointed in MS honestly. Was hoping for some more exciting exclusives.

EA - 6/10
Microsoft - 8/10
Bethesda - 6/10
Ubisoft - 5/10
Sony - 4/10
Nintendo - 7/10

As an XB1 and PS4 owner, MS gave me lots of reason t one excited for this fall and holiday season. Sony reminded me why the PS4 is not for me. Nintendo is feeling confident enough to start churning out their great 1st party games. EA, Bethesda, and Ubisoft were fine.

Salty Hippo

E3 is all about new announcements (and exclusive ones if you're a platform holder) for me so Nintendo > Ubisoft > Microsoft > Bethesda > EA > Sony > Devolver. Don't care about scores.

TwiztidElf

Plenty of good, interesting games coming out of E3 2017, so I'm not going to complain, and I don't really understand why this E3 is underwhelming.
Maybe just the hype of the last few?

Anyhow
Ubisoft and Nintendo rocked it.
Ubisoft - 8
Nintendo - 8

Sony and MS were average.
Sony - 5
Microsoft - 4

The rest were trash.
EA - 0
Bethesda - 0

Microsoft 7/10
Sony 8/10
Nintendo 8/10

Out of the three hardware-makers, Sony easily showcased the biggest number of high-quality titles in my opinion. God of War, Days Gone and Spider-Man all showed well.

Sadly, they're all games we knew about - though that doesn't bother me personally.

The VR section dragged, but I think we all understand why it was there. Shadow of the Colossus was a cool announcement, particularly for someone like me who hasn't played it.

Nintendo's direct was very uneven. Some nice announcements, but games like Kirby and Yoshi are definitely b-tier titles while the Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon teasers didn't offer anything tangible to get excited about.

Super Mario Odyssey was a home run though, and probably the game of the show.

Microsoft unveiled a new console and added to their backwards compatibility offerings in a conference that just felt like it was missing something. There was no big game for the community to rally around.

However, they had a diverse lineup and should be commended for shying away from Halo and Gears of War when it would have been easy to slap together a short CGI tease.

No one knocked it out of the park, but generally I think the quality of games on show has been pretty high this year. Ubisoft did very well.

dyergram

EA- 5
No suprises really no way out looks cool. Star Wars is showing promise not sure I care about the mp since I really didn't enjoy bf1 can't find any confirmation of vr support is it in?

Bethesda-6
Weird presentation style it worked though I guess. Obviously they didn't have much to show. Ew2 looks pretty good the original was trash though imo. Vr support is cool definitely gonna try doom. Wolfinstein looks fucking ace!

Ubisoft-8
Standard uni presentation I preffered Yves Guillemot
presenting as I find Aisha a bit gringy. Mario game looks great somehow. Assasins creed might get me back. Glad to see a black flag game finally hopefully they flesh it out and although I never played bgae I'm happy for people who were dying for a sequel. Good presentation overall and Ubisoft continue to be a cool innovative company that are a positive influence dispite wanting to wring every penny from their franchises.

Ms- 6
Microsoft continue to baffle me to be frank. When they announced the Scorpio they told us it would be a generational leap this showing in no way bore this out. It looks like a smaller Xbox1. I understand the insides are expensive but this doesn't look like a premium product to me at all. Which brings me to the price I honestly cannot believe they have priced the xbx so high. Again I understand the insides of this thing are expensive but as a consumer I don't care tbh use a cheaper cooling solution make it bigger bundle a sexy controller don't expect me to spend $499 it's not happening...Unless you show me some fucking must have exclusives, which brings me to the games. It wouldn't have taken much to push me over the edge and buy one of these things if there had been a killer app but not only was there no killer app for me (although I'm sure for some what was shown was enough) the whole debut exclusive language sounded really desperate and a bit pathetic tbh. For the money I may as well uprgrade my pc for crackdown and sea of thieves the latter looks a bit janky though.Anthem looks pretty but I have only ever enjoyed one bioware game and this looks very much the some of its parts to be honest starwars + mass effect x destiny (although I do like all of those things) and the way it was presented with the team chatter was very gringe and well what you expect from a ms stage demo tbh.

Sony-8
Definitely their weakest show in years. But they still nailed the show for me. They showed a real diverse line up. And I was relived that they have a load more vr stuff on the way also I was happy to see supermassive getting some more work since rush of blood was a nice surprise last year. Spider-Man days gone and god of war all look fucking great.

Nintendo-7
Super short which obviously we knew going in. Kirby and yoshi look ace and Mario Was the game of the show. Nothing else to say really Reggie is still weirdly intimidating.

EA: zzzero/10 - sports sports sports. legit fell asleep during it.
Microsoft : 5/10 - average. Nothing exciting. Nothing terrible.
Bethesda: 3/10 - they didn't really announce anything unexpectedly new or interesting.
Ubisoft : 6/10 - at least had a few interesting games.
Devolver: 5/10 - it was entertaining at least, but it showed like what, 2 games?
Sony: 7/10 - didn't get excited for much but at least it was almost all trailers.
Nintendo: 4/10 - wasted on games I don't care about. Lame title card for the 1 game I would.
PC: 5/10 - meh, wasn't terrible but nothing great either.

overall rating: 4.5/10

Pretty lukewarm this year honestly.

Loudninja

Seeing at least 3 people on the first page who watched everything but Nintendo, noone who skipped only Sony, MS or something else. Whatswrongwithyou.gif

EA 1/10 Just... Ugh. Seriously, they could at least try. Also i think they were the only ones with ingame fake chatter this time.
Bethesda 5/10 4 of those points are for Wolfenstein and Evil Within 2.
MS 3/10 4K THO! At least they had some neat 3rd party exclusives... i guess.
Ubi 5/10 In hindsight what we learned about BGE2 turned me off...hard. The Rabbids game looks surprisingly good though.
Sony 7/10 Not much new stuff, GOW and SotC remake got me quite pumped though.
Nintendo 8/10 Also not much new stuff. But i waited almost a decade for some Prime news. also Odyssey looks fucking ace.

6/10 over all. Loved some things but too much underwhelming stuff and filler this year.

That's not how this thread works. I know you wouldn't talk about anything but Sony even if someone would put a gun to your head but..That's not the thread for it lol.
I only watch one not going to give a grade to something I didn't watch.

Gradly

I only watched Sony and Microsoft in full:

Sony: [7/10] boring presentation but awesome games. I only wanted to see more of GoW, Lost Legacy, and Spider-man gameplay, so they delivered on this aspect.

Microsoft: [6/10] bombastic presenattion but underwhelming games and Scorpio price tag was ridiculous

KageMaru

EA: 5 - Poor pacing, poor acting/preparation, and poor lineup overall. If it wasn't for A Way Out and Battlefront 2, this score would have been much lower.

Xbox: 7 - The beginning was a drag with the spec talk and car reveal but afterwards it was just game after game. The variety and content were there for the most part but the trailers for their games sucked. Crackdown and State of Decay 2 should have been demoed like we saw with Sea of Thieves. The constant "Exclusive" announcements being hammered in our heads was also annoying. The X price doesn't bother me because it's what I expected all along and Anthem was a good showpiece for the hardware.

Bethesda: 3 - Outside of The Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein, this conference sucked. If it wasn't for those two games, I'd give them a 1 for having courage to show up. Fallout VR is nice but to charge another $60 for it is bullshit and Doom VFR goes against what makes Doom Doom. Other than the end the whole conference was just forgettable. I wondered why they scheduled it so late and now I know why.

Devolver Digital: 10 - They trolled the industry and gamers beautifully.

Ubisoft: 7 - They had a damn good showing. Mario + Rabbids looked great, drawing obvious inspiration from XCOM. The Crew 2 was really impressive and I wasn't a fan of the original. Skull and Bones looked great but I'm not sure of the long term gameplay with it focusing purely on naval warfare. Starlink looked cool, though I'm not sold on the toy mechanics so far. It was cool that they ported the snowdrop engine to the Switch though. The Olympics expansion for Steep was cool, reminded me of those winter games titles during the Saturn days. South Park looks awesome of course, I can't wait for that to come out. I was happy to see Far Cry 5 demoed but it was shorter than I hoped. Still the game looks amazing. The biggest surprise was easily Beyond Good and Evil 2, but it's so far out that I can't be too excited for it.

PlayStation: 7 - As usual, Sony put on an excellent show. Outside of FFXV fishing edition, there wasn't a dud shown. Most of the games were showcased in demo form that highlighted the strengths of the title. Uncharted Odyssey revealed some new story elements while looking beautiful. I'm finally playing through Horizon, so it's great that there will be DLC waiting for me when I'm done. Days Gone looked damn impressive, mixing elements of TLoU and Uncharted. CoD WWII looked great and I'm not even into CMP games. God of War looked good, the animations could be better in parts but it looks like a good new direction for the series. Detroit looks awesome as well, I liked how they highlighted the consequences of your actions. Shame there isn't even a release window for that and it makes me wonder if it's a 2019 title. Monster Hunter looked great. I've always wanted to get into the series and nows my chances. Regarding the VR segment, Skyrim was a surprise and I'm happy they are supporting the platform. Of course the highlight of the show was Spider-Man. It looked amazing and the team captured the character perfectly. Not a fan of the QTE's but I hope they are kept to a minimum. My biggest issue with the show was the lack of new content and variety. Their key titles were repeats of the same key titles from last year's show and were all 3rd person cinematic action games too. They could have at least showed off GTS to mix it up. Was also disappointed they didn't have an indies segment.

Nintendo: 8 - I had the lowest expectations for Nintendo but they surprised me the most. Mario Odyssey looks fantastic. Xenoblade 2 looks awesome, though I'm surprised they didn't show any mech gameplay. Metroid Prime 4 was major reveal, sucks we couldn't see a trailer. Kirby was meh for me but I'm sure it'll please the fans. Yoshi looked awesome though. Very artistic and beautiful. Fire Emblem also looked great. The announcement of the show for me was a Pokémon RPG coming to the Switch. That is huge IMO and something I've wanted for a long time. IMO Nintendo put on the best show.

Overall: 6 - a decent E3 but certainly not as good as it should have been. At least we got a lot of great games to look forward to.

Wamb0wneD

I only watch one not going to give a grade to something I didn't watch.

Well yeah i know you did, I don't think anybody who read more than 10 posts of yours would think otherwise but this thread is about how people perceived the shows and the OP asked for an overall grade. As you already pointed out you can't asnwer any of those things because you don't care for anything but Sony
(which is kinda sad because you even miss more than half the stuff that's actually coming to the PS4)
so I don't really understand why you're in this thread, that's all.

The fact you don't grade something you didn't see makes sense i guess

trixx

Very disappointing e3 overall, not many surprises and many games previously shown, so it was kinda whatever. I think Microsoft dropped the ball though.

Of the ones I watched I'd rank them out of 10
Microsoft 6/10
They were supposed to sell me on the x1 or at least get me to upgrade. First off it might be worth the 499 price point but again there were no exclusives selling me on it. Where are the game that use that extra power? I just saw 4k upgrades which is cool cause I have a 4k tv, but the only way I'd consider upgrading is if I get like half off by trading in my s. Notable games are dragon ball z (multiplatform), the last night, Ori 2, and Metro(multiplatform)

Sony 6/10
They didn't show anything new. I think what shadow of the collosus remake is super cool and God of War looks great but I didn't think too much about spiderman. The trailer just didn't sell me. I guess Detroit looks good as well, but wasn't too fond of the gameplay. Overall though meh. Oh monster hunter!! But it's multi play so I count it in with others as well (PC/Xbox)

Ubisoft 8/10
Great presentation and some really great looking games. Loved the passion of the developers. For me I enjoyed BGandE trailer, Mario and Rabbids was a great section as well. As well as assassin's Creed

Nintendo 7.5
I would say the presentation in itself was whatever but for 30 min presentation it was pretty good. Most games were already previously shown but 2 Metroid is great. Anyways the presentation in itself was also a 6 but the treehouse and the tournaments puts it to a 7 for me. But they easily could have nailed it if they highlighted indie games and announced virtual console

StarPhlox

Probably the worst E3 in a while but I still had a great time overall and mostly I'm excited about the Easy Allies bets!

EA = 3/10
Microsoft = 6/10
Bethesda = 5/10
Devolver Digital = very funny
Ubisoft = 8/10
Sony = 710
Nintendo = 9/10 (4 points for every Metroid game and 1 point for Super Mario Odyssey)

Jackpot

Banned
Whole show was meh-riffic.

EA - D for dull. No impact at all. Forgot most of it after 10 minutes.
MS - 6/10
Sony - 6/10
Nintendo - null. I'm not their audience
PC Gamer show -draaaaaaaaaggggeeeeeeed and had nothing good on
Devolver - a bunch of lame comedy and some retro games. Not even a conference.

MS's presentation was slicker than before, but the games were dull.

Only games that caught my eye were Metro Evacuation, Anthem, and that VR game Bravo Team.

Blobbers

Well yeah i know you did, I don't think anybody who read more than 10 posts of yours would think otherwise but this thread is about how people perceived the shows and the OP asked for an overall grade. As you already pointed out you can't asnwer any of those things because you don't care for anything but Sony
(which is kinda sad because you even miss more than half the stuff that's actually coming to the PS4)
so I don't really understand why you're in this thread, that's all.

The fact you don't grade something you didn't see makes sense i guess

what did he mean by zeroing in on Loudninja's post even though there's literally dozens of posts ITT that look something like

Sony - *score and reasoning*
Microsoft - *score and reasoning*
Devolver - didn't watch lol
Ubisoft - *score and reasoning*
Nintendo - don't give a fuck about them

Ea: 2/10
Ubisoft: Didn't watch
Bethesda: 4/10
Microsoft: 4(k)/10
Sony: 6/10
Nintendo 4/10

Overall: 5/10

There was a lot of great games shown in terrible conferences like Anthem, and Wolfenstein 2. But Sony I think I had the best conference of them all despite being one of their weaker ones. It was a weak year all around, didn't really feel like E3 this year.

ViolentP

Considering it's been a week and I've mostly forgotten it, I would say no one was really good or real bad. A success ultimately.

mas8705

EA - 2/10 (If "A way out wasn't there, it'd be a one)
Microsoft - 7/10 (Great showing for the X1 and the games on display. Was missing those few games that could have made the conference even better)
Bethesda - 5/10 (If we were taking "actual conference," it'd be a 3 for a lack of actual "conferencing." That said, I didn't have much interest in the games shown, but can respect the games shown off. That said, it felt like so much more could have been done.
Ubisoft - 8/10 (Ubisoft beats out Microsoft due to having a solid lineup alongside with some rather touching moments, such as the guy who shed a tear when thanked by Miyamoto. Could have been higher, but the problem there was that it had addressed a few games while kind of giving the middle finger to other games that need some help like For Honor. Still, best conference we had, no argument there.)
Sony - 6/10 (Throwing Sony between Bethesda and Microsoft since it felt like a split between the two in terms of not much "interaction" with the audience and not many actual gameplay demonstrations; think there were only two with Day's Gone and Spiderman. I would have thrown Sony under the bus, but there was no denying that the line up was good and Monster Hunter World was my "Game of Show" so points there. Hopefully next year, we won't see a repeat of last year like we did this year.)
Devolver - WTF/10 (No comment... Only one thing I'll say though was that there was more "talking to the audience" in Devolver's conference than in Sony's or Bethesda's. Take that as you will...)
Nintendo - 7/10 (DON'T GET ME WRONG! What was shown was great. Only problem was that with only 25 minutes to play with, you're not going to cover everything and it doesn't help either that the games that people were expecting to get announced sadly went MIA. Not talking about Smash, but MHXX was certainly a stab in the chest. That said, they have a great lineup and will be watching these next set of months with great interest.)

overall rating: 7/10 (Every E3 is special to me and while this one was underwhelming, there's no denying that we still saw a great number up coming titles. Hopefully next year will be even better. ^_^)

AudioEppa

EA - 4/10. A Way Out and NFS look dope.

Microsoft - 'Launch Exclusive'/10. Thanks for letting me know what I might wanna play at later time. GG lol

Bethesda - 1.5/10. Wolfenstein 2 could be a rental.

Devolver - Never again/10. Never again. Be mad Gaf.

PC Show - Can't afford/10. Some nice looking PCs.

Ubisoft - 0/10. As usual. No offense to their passing.
I know I'm renting FC5. 0 is for everything else.

Sony - 8/10. They make games that fit my preference.

Nintendo - Can't relate/10. I'm allergic to happy shit.
I wouldn't mind that platform as my side bitch tbh :(

8byte

Banned
I thought Nintendo came out on top with the most interesting content.

MS looked second best, lots of great stuff on the indie front. Most of their AAA lineup was bland to me.

Sony wasn't noteworthy outside of Spider-Man. Days Gone looks tired and done before, God of War looks visually stunning but I need more narrative to know if it's worth my time. SotC is a day 1 but not really a ground breaking announcement.

Ubisoft was awful.

Ogodei

Hindsight i think this E3'll be rejudged based on whether XOX really takes off. If so, then this was the beginning of a big thing, if not then Microsoft's show loses points and it probably becomes Nintendo's year.

KodaRuss

EA - 2/10
Microsoft - 4/10
Bethesda - 6/10
Ubisoft - 6/10
Sony - 7/10
Nintendo - 9/10

It was a decent year but not as big as it has been in the past.

EA was a mess as usual.

Still looking for MS to give me a reason to buy a xbox this gen. The exclusive thing was just embarrassing in that it really just highlighted that they really dont have a lot of big exclusives.

Bethesda was a little goofy but Wolfenstein looks amazing.

Ubisoft looked decent and mario/rabbids looks great. Asassins Creed didnt do anything for me but Far Cry looked good. Little disappointed that Beyond Good and Evil has really not even started production.

Sony was alright and gave solid updates to some big games. They were missing one big reveal imo. Going to be tough to have a better year than Sony in 2018 with Spider-Man, Days Gone and God of War all coming.

Nintendo was the best I felt. Mario looks great and the announcements that they made were solid with Kirby, Yoshi and Metroid on the way. Would have been a 10/10 if they had announced and launched virtual Console.

specdot

This years e3 wasn't as bad many of y'all making it out to be. We've been spoiled. You guys should change your scoring method to:
#/Sony e3 (2013 or 2015 or 2016)

Keinning

What does an Xbox One owner have to look forward to that no one else does?

Why does it matter? Honest question. I'm a xbox one owner and i'm happy that i have games to play in the future. I'm not interested in priving other people from them. This "exclusive or nothing" mentality is baffling to me

To clarify, i understand pretty well the conference not being attractive to sell more xboxes. Wouldn't buy one based on it either. The post ive quoted is asking current xbox owners though.

Speely

Banned
Nintendo: 8/10

Devolver: 11/10

Everything else hovered around 5/10 for me. No one bombed, but neither did anyone stand out excepting the aforementioned.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
EA - 4/10 - I don't normally enjoy EA shows, but this didn't seem to go on too long, and we were spared extended sequences where Pele got interviewed, etc. A Way Out looked genuinely interesting.

MS - 7/10 - The only one of the big 3 to show off indie games on their main stage, and XBOX OG backwards compatibility is amazing. Revealing a new Porsche on stage was really pointless though.

Bethesda - 6/10 - Not really my thing but I liked the retro theme park aesthetic and they showed off some interesting titles.

UBI - 8/10 - Miyamoto came on stage (something that never happened in any of Nintendo's own conferences this year) and the creator of the Rabbids game cried with pride. This sentence would have sounded surreal a week ago. BGE2 is finally a thing - woo!

Sony - 5/10 - I actually thought their pre-show had far more interesting games than their main event. (Undertale on console!) Meanwhile, the actual event was very samey with a ton of games similar in tone. The way the camera kept cutting away from the trailers to show dry ice or the non-reactions of the most unenthusiastic audience ever really didn't help.

Nintendo - 9/10 - 2 New Metroid games. 3 Tourneys. Yabuki playing ARMS. Mario Odyssey looks absolutely stunning. Treehouse Live is the highlight of E3 for me.

PC Gaming Show - 6/10 - Never watched this before - while there was way too much talking for my liking, they showed off some really cool indie titles.

Devolver - 11/10 - I always wondered what a David Lynch directed E3 conference would look like.

Top Bottom