• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 conference and event rating thread

Best E3 conference?

Results are only viewable after voting.

weekev

Banned
EA: ⭐
Microsoft: ⭐⭐
Bethesda: ⭐⭐⭐
Ubisoft: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Sony: ⭐⭐⭐
Nintendo: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Overall: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Yep this is how I'd score it. Ubisoft had the most variety with interesting looking games. Nintendo had mario Odyssey and Rabbids which both look awesome plus Kirby, Yoshi, 2 Metroid games plus a bunch of great games we already knew about.
MS and EA didn't show me anything exciting and Sony had Spider-Man.

Ubisoft and Nintendo had a strong E3 and saved this one from complete mediocrity.

Tambini

EA - 2/10
Microsoft - 5/10
Bethesda - 6/10
Ubisoft - 5/10
Sony - 4/10
Nintendo - 7/10

Poor E3 overall, very forgettable

Nintendo: 7/10 - Home run other than presenting their stuff in that piece of crap pre-recorded video. Contrast that second rate shit with what Sony does- Shawn Layden is like a waiter at a world class restaurant bringing out experimental fine dining dishes with world class live music and Nintendo tosses together a home video with their phone.

EA: 6/10 - Battlefront 2 looks disgusting. That's as heavy of a hitter as there is.

Ubisoft: 5/10 - I personally don't like their games too much, maybe an Assassin's Creed once in awhile, but it was still a decent lineup. Mario + Rabbids looks really cool, didn't think they would go strategy with it.

Bethesda: 4/10: Not really personally interested in these games, but Skyrim VR looks interesting. Wolfenstein looks pretty insane.

Sony: 8/10 - What they showed looked spectacular, but no real surprises. Monster Hunter being the exciting surprise says it all about this E3.

Microsoft: 7/10 - New hardware reveal while not focusing on Gears and Halo made for an interesting show. Lots of games I wasn't familiar with, it seemed like a nonstop 'what game is this???' throughout, contrasted with Sony's, where it was obvious what game was being shown the second the trailer started.

Ubisoft was a great show. Minus the dance part I think that is pretty much the E3 blueprint they should stick with.

Sony was a youtube playlist of trailers. Lacked varsity and personality and anything surprising.

Microsoft was basically every Microsoft E3 for the last decade. It was fine. 499 is a bummer but I get it.

Nintendo was its usual sell. Cant say I care for the Prime 4 reveal though.

Someone needs to tell EA to chill. Everyone talking seemed like a fake robot person.

Bethesda was OK for what it is. A medium sized publisher in a off year.

Keinning

EA: A Way Out saves it from 1/10. Barely. No interest in NFS, madden or star wars so... what else is there? feefur remains the same. 3/10

MS: Tame show, cringy moments here and there (stop the esports bullshit please) but finally, a microsoft conference with more games than anything else. Already preordered Cuphead and i am interested in two or three indie games from it. Nothing special, but not bad. 6/10

Sony: I watched this conference last year and it was great. I'm not praising them for showing the same things. Also just... put your VR shit in another conference, please. Spiderman saves it from EA level but still disappointed by the amount of QTEs 4/10

Bethesda, Nintendo, Devolver, Ubisoft - Missed them all. ?/10. Wolfenstein, BG&E2 and Mario Odyssey look good though.

PC Gaming - Also missed it, but xcom2 expansion, as big as EW? "i'm biased as hell so i'm giving it a 9/10"

megalowho

EA - 3/10
Microsoft - 5/10
Bethesda - 5/10
Ubisoft - 7.5/10
Sony - 4/10
Nintendo - 6/10

Overall - 5/10

Off year for E3 overall but not without a handful of highlights. The variety and sincerity on display from Ubi mixed with a few genuine surprises won me over for conference of the show, felt like they nailed what they were going for. Microsoft kept it traditional with lots of game footage. Nintendo has some great software coming out this year but a prepackaged video only has so high a ceiling for me. Same thinking regarding Sony's approach, and I have more questions on their lineup.

emb

EA - 6/10
Better than my expectation. Loved that one guy's speech about his co-op game, and Battlefront 2 looked good. Negative points for showing Anthem before MS show. Was hoping to see the other Star Wars game.

MS - 7/10
Did a lot of what they needed to do. I don't like Scorpio, don't want it, but they talked about lots of games. In hindsight, few of the interesting ones seemed to be exclusive, but they had a nice show. I think I'd have also liked them to talk just a bit more, give some more context to why I care about a lot of the announcements. Excited for Ori, and Anthem and DBZ gameplay videos were fun!

Beth - 3/10
Eh. Evil Within had a cool trailer. As much as I like VR, their VR demos didn't look great or exciting. Nothing else that really had me interested iirc.

Devolver - 5/10
Well. That's something. Fun parody thing, but could have used more actual games shown in between jokes. Once you realize what they're doing, it starts to ring hollow. Even at 15 minutes, kinda overstayed its welcome. Props to them for doing something unique though.

Ubi - 7/10
Well presented stuff, some interesting games. BG&E CG trailer direction was not really what I hoped for from the game (re: vulgarity), but still loved seeing Ancel appear and tear up, and just the surprise of BG&E still existing. Rabbids game looked way better than I expected. AC always looks good at E3, and the naval combat spinoff looked cool (even though it's probably online only and I'll never play it.)

Sony - 7/10
Lacking in big surprises, but a strong lineup of games. Monster Hunter was probably the biggest thing for me. I'm happy to see the series move forward, but honestly liked having it on Nintendo stuff. Spiderman looked good, but a lot of QTEs/needless cinematic sequences. Nice to see them still in for VR, but not many of those games looked spectacular.

Nintendo - 8/10
Prime 4 is a huge reveal, but so early that they didn't have a lot to follow up with. Metroid II remake, while not quite in the show, is exciting to hear about. Mario Odyssey's trailer is one of the best I've seen, gameplay looked great, and I'm pumped for it. Kirby and Yoshi games both look quite good, but Kirby and Yoshi games aren't megatons for me.

Feels like a better than average year all around, but nobody was at the very top of their game.

Macka

EA 1/10
Microsoft 4/10
Bethesda 5/10
Ubisoft 7.5/10
Sony 6/10
Nintendo 7/10

Pretty meh E3 overall, but two Metroid games being announced was pretty awesome.

Dyle

Funny review, just wanted to point out the following: VR actually had a big showcase (much to the chagrin of non VR fans), and new IPs were introduced (mostly in the VR / Playlink category, in particular Hidden Agenda)
That's true, it's just that I feel like VR thus far has never done a good job via trailers and the fact that there has been barely any unscripted VR footage, or none at all, out of E3 to be super frustrating. What's the point in showing off Skyrim VR if you're not showing a demonstration of it? That said the Final Fantasy Fishing game looks dope, it was kind of its own highlight of the Sony show.

And I would totally count Hidden Agenda/Playlink/Knack 2/Crash etc. if they had shown any of it during the conference itself. When I tuned in about 10 minutes prior to the start time I realized that I had already missed a bunch of trailers that I had expected to see during the show itself.

velociraptor

Microsoft D
EA D
Sony C+
Ubisoft C+
Devolver A

Overall: C

It just felt like a very average E3. Ubisoft and Sony always have good conferences though. They're snappy and to the point. EA's and Microsoft's was a drag, only redeemed by the introduction of some good games.

EA: D
MS: D+
Ubi: C
Sony: C
Bethesda: D+
Nintendo: B

Overall, E3 was underwhelming but Nintendo saved it from being a total dumpster fire.

Highlights for me:
A Way Out
Metroid Prime 4
Super Mario Odyssey
Spider-Man
Dragon ball Fighter Z

You people are crazy. You judge based on the number of surprises. I judge based on the number of great looking games. Sony is easily the winner. People picking ubi because of a cg trailer for a game that will probably never see the light of day. This is what's wrong with E3.

You people are crazy. You judge based on the number of surprises. I judge based on the number of great looking games. Sony is easily the winner. People picking ubi because of a cg trailer for a game that will probably never see the light of day. This is what's wrong with E3.
Opinions, my dude. Surprises are the best part about E3/these shows, and SotC was the biggest one for me. It's not hard to understand why Sony was not the best to others given things like Metroid and BG&E2.

megalowho

Sony's increased homogenization of their IP's wasn't a great showing to me at all, especially when they're presented back to back with no developer input during the conference. Not everyone is in love with the Naughty Dog template and wants to play third person narrative action games over and over.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
How about you let people enjoy what they want to enjoy instead of telling them that they are "what's wrong with E3" purely because they enjoyed something that you personally didn't.

EA: 4

Pretty bad presentation but overall the games looks pretty sweet! especially A Way Out and Battlefront II.

Microsoft: 7

Best conference to me, full of great games and some mindblowing stuff (Exodus, Anthem, DBZ). Sadly it didn't work one bit to make me buy an Xbox X, if anything I would get an S to play some of those "console launch exclusives" indies. Also, the Porsche stuff was crap, stop doing it.

Bethesda: 4

The most boring conference of all, their biggest games were Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein 2, I'm not a fan of those but they looked ok to good. The rest was pretty boring and the might no even had a conference at all.

Ubisoft: 6

Pretty good presentation minus the Dance stuff, sadly too many "movie" trailers and games that I'm not interested about. BG&E2 was great in terms of CGI but the game is not even in development and the script for that trailer was really weak.

Sony: 6

Surprinsingly an almost non existent show, after the greatness of last year this was disappointing, it was the same as Bethesda. At least there's a ton of games to play now and in the future so in terms on content was pretty good but I could have watched all those trailers in direct feed onYouTube. I don't want people talking like EA but some demos being played live (even faking it), some big introductions like Kojima last year, a return of the orchestra, stuff like that.

Nintendo: 6

Game after game just like Bethesda and Sony, announcement don't even have names and some they practically just started development so... sit tight, but at least most of the biggest franchises are coming.

Honorable mention

Devolver: 8

Hilarious stuff, I fell for it.

E3 OVERALL: 9

Games are better than ever and I've consumed a lot of trailers, interviews, panels, discusions, demos.

Aesnath

I'll admit to being slightly disappointed with Sony. They didn't really show anything I felt compelled to pick up that I wasn't already aware of.

MS did better than expected, for me personally anyway. Mostly due to original Xbox compatibility. Depending on the list, I may well pick the thing up. In that way, they likely earned a customer.

Nintendo really surprised me. Obviously, two metroids was pretty special, but, even outside of that, I was pretty impressed. Notably, I wasn't loving the hat in the mario game. Still think the design is questionable aesthetically, but, possession in a mario game really sold me on it in a way I wasn't before.

Vlade

Microsoft: 8
Sony: 8
Nintendo: 8.5 (I guess I should make someone win)

I'm not sure what the expectations were when I see the low opinions. they showed cool games.

EA: 8

I'm surprised I enjoyed it that much

Bethesda: 4
PC: 3
Ubisoft: 5

Overall: 7

everything I thought a midcycle would be.

Xellos

EA -- Didn't watch

Bethesda 2/10 -- Wolfenstein is not something I'm interested in personally, but it looks good. I would have liked to see some gameplay from TEW2. Not interested in VR.

MS 7/10 -- Lots of games. XB1X seems like nice hardware, but I don't even have a 4k TV. Out of the post-apocalyptic games shown, Metro looked the most interesting, even though it was just an in-engine trailer. Ori, Sea of Thieves, and DBZ looked cool. I'm glad at least one of the console companies is doing supporting backwards compatibility.

Ubi 5/10 -- Mario + Rabbids was surprise of the show for me. I wrote it off from the rumors but it looks like fun. South Park just needed to be funny, and it was. BG&E2 GC short was a nice surprise, but it's 2-3 years out and who knows if Ubi will actually get to finish it.

Sony 4/10 -- Monter Hunter World saved this conference. The trailer wasn't even that good and it was still more interesting than anything else shown. SotC remake was OK too. Spiderman looks like it's an Arkham clone with more QTEs.

Nintendo 6/10 -- Claimed they would focus on 2017, but the biggest announcements were for 2018 and beyond. Metroid got a title screen. Pokemon didn't even have that. Nintendo claims 2017 for Xenoblade but I don't believe them (also dialogue seemed terrible). At least Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids, Odyssey, Metroid 3DS, and Zelda DLC are coming this year.

Overall: 5/10

I only watched Sony and Nintendo's conferences. Was disappointed with the former, pleased with the latter.

Highlights:
Super Mario Odyssey
Low-key Nintendo surprises (Yoshi, Kirby)
Spiderman
Ni No Kuni II
Mario + Rabbids reaction (I had faith!)

Lowlights:
Xenoblade 2's horrid fucking character design, this alone makes me not want to play the game
Feeling a lot of sameness from Sony's games - can we cool off on the third-person, open world, super-violent QTEs with identical art styles?
MSFT has a great console in the XOX but no compelling reason to get it over a PS4 pro
Sleepy year in general

Stealth50

• Sony: 5/10
  • MS: 3/10
  • Nintendo: 2/10
  • Ubisoft: 9/10
  • EA: 1/10
While that looks overall pretty terrible I actually think there's mostly positives to take away from this E3:
  • The future of VR looks great
  • Games get the dev-time they need
  • New IPs gets made
  • Cool new single player games
  • Franchises "returns-to-roots" or reimagines themselves
  • Companies overall listen to fan feedback more

I'm not sure what the expectations were when I see the low opinions. they showed cool games.

In my case, the low points come from "bad presentation or show, spectacle" the games in general couldn't be better!

I'm really glad with this E3 but the previous year had way better and entertaining shows.

Sane_Man

MS - 3/10
Sony - 5/10
Nintendo - 6/10
Overall - 5/10

Didn't watch the rest. Average as hell overall but a few of the games still floored me. Mainly being Monster Hunter and the two Mario games.

What, no. E3 is about surprises, always has been.

Par Score

This was a real stinker of an E3.

Some stank worse than others but I don't think anyone comes away smelling of roses.

EA would get a 2/10, Microsoft a 5/10, everyone else in-between.

EA: 4/10 might as well not had one

Nintendo: 8/10 I need a damn switch

Microsoft: 8/10 Showed the most that is relevant to me. X1X is a day 1. Bummed about no new AAA exclusives

Bethesda: 6/10 no comment for real

Ubisoft: 6/10 announce a new splinter cell already

Sony: 4/10 loved GOW4 and Spider-Man, that is about it. The conference was dry and had almost to little of no life

Overall 6/10

Trace

Banned
EA 3/10
Bethesda 2/10
Microsoft 5/10
Sony 6/10
Ubisoft 7.5/10
Nintendo 7/10

Weak conferences everywhere, Ubi had a stronger showing than usual and Nintendo looked pretty good. Bethesda shouldn't have even had a conference. Microsoft also had the weakest conference for them I can think of in recent memory, X1X at $500 is bomba and all the good looking games were third party. Sony lack of new announcements was dogshit too.

Ohh right:

Devolver 11/10

Best conference by a mile.

EA - 4/10
Microsoft - 6/10
Bethesda - 5/10
Ubisoft - 8/10
Sony - 5/10
Nintendo - 7/10

Very middling show this year which is weird for how good 2017 has been for gaming and how much stuff is still to come from the rest of the year.

Microsoft: B
Personal Game of the Show presented (DBZF). Speakers were present but didn't take up too much time for the most part. Focus on Japanese games was very refreshing. The terminology used was a bit overwhelming (Console Launch Exclusive) and I needed a list to figure out which games the One X enhancements are applicable to. The console itself is very powerful and they did a decent job of showcasing what it is capable of, even if it doesn't cause a major shakeup in terms of winning PlayStation fans over to their brand. Also, there was a car.

Sony: D-
The games looked okay for the most part, but there was almost no presentation element beyond the music in the beginning. This really could have just been delivered in the form of a press release/straight-to-YouTube format. Shadow of the Colossus, a remake, was easily the standout of the conference for me. The only other intrigue the conference provided me with was the Monster Hunter reveal, in which I debated with myself whether those awkward animations were From Software or Capcom. God of War looked okay but I'll probably never play it given I've never had the desire to play any of the others. Days Gone blows my mind, for all of the wrong reasons ...really can't help but think "Wow, this looks like 15 of the blandest western AAA games in one." Anyway, they need more of a focus on presentation. Some games benefit from having developer commentary on stage. Also ...indies? All of that said, I think this opens the door for a bigger PSX at year's end when we see more games like Death Stranding, Shenmue, TLOU2, and so on.

Nintendo: A+
Metroid Prime 4 has almost nothing to do with what made Nintendo's showing at E3 outstanding for me. It was the balance they struck between 3DS and Switch. It really felt like there was something for everybody. Metroid Prime 4 for Switch, Samus Returns for 3DS. Pokémon Ultra Sun/Moon for 3DS, next mainline game for Switch. (Samus Returns was a wonderful surprise.) Super Mario Odyssey looks like the evolution of Sunshine come true. Kirby and Yoshi got some Switch love. Fire Emblem Warriors looks gorgeous as well and Warriors-style gameplay will be a perfect fit for the series. The presentation was just great overall, between Spotlight and Treehouse. Watched Spotlight while at work, continued later with Treehouse when I got home, rarely ever turning away from the screen. They not only made me excited for the future of the Switch, but also rekindled my love for the 3DS as well.

Overall, the showings from the big three balance out to solid B.

EA - 5/10
MS - 6/10
Ubisoft - 7.5/10
Sony - 7/10
Nintendo 7/10

Decent year with some solid announcements and interesting gameplay showcases.

Joey Ravn

Banned
5-star system: Awful (1), Bad (2), Average (3), Good (4), Great (5).

EA: 1. Sports and Star WarzzzzzzzzZzZzzZzZzZ...

Bethesda: 2. That new Wolfenstein looks absolutely incredible. But the rest of the conference was terrible. Paid DLC, VR Fallout and Skyrim... blergh.

Microsoft: 2. The most powerful console ever hasn't sold me on the idea of ditching my PS4 Pro and high-end PC. Not even on the idea of getting an Xbox alongside those two other platforms. The constant self-aggrandizing, boastful tone of the conference got old and boring really fast. At least they did show some interesting games coming to PC, so there's that.

Ubisoft: 3. Most of what they showed didn't interest me in the least, but Mario + Rabbids got me really hyped. And I guess it's good they are taking some steps forward with AssCreed. I'll probably get it this year, after passing on the franchise since Black Flag.

Sony: 3. Nothing mind-blowing, but at least they showed some interesting games. Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, Spider-Man, Days Gone... all look good. Also, Undertale for Vita/PS4! That locket has to be mine.

Nintendo: 5. Super Mario Odyssey. New Metroid Prime. New side-scroller Metroid. Pokémon Switch in development. Yoshi. Kirby. Fire Emblem Heroes. Rocket League for Switch. Nintendo delivered, no contest.

Overall: 3. I knew I would be excited for Nintendo's presentation. The rest was just OK. More negatives than positives, but I guess it balances out.

Vlade

In my case, the low points come from "bad presentation or show, spectacle" the games in general couldn't be better!

I'm really glad with this E3 but the previous year had way better and entertaining shows.

gotcha, spectacle was low, but sony had some tool-concert-level weirdness onstage, that looked like it would've been... something... to be there

Hastati

EA - N/A

Missed the show, Anthem and BFII look great so my overall impression is positive.

MS - 8/10

Little interest in the X but I enjoyed it for everything else. Among the exclusives Ashen and the dwarf game (exclusive?) were cool unknowns. They showed a lot of cool games that had me excited for the future, so I'd give them a good rating despite not selling me on their xbox upgrade.

Bethesda 3/10

Barely remember this conference but the presentation, lack of interesting announcements and worst of all paid mods left a bitter taste in my mouth. Poor showing from a bad publisher.

Edit: Wolfenstein and The Evil Within 2 did look good, I have amended my score. Neither of then particularly interest me thematically unfortunately.

Ubisoft 9/10

Their best conference in years, a lot of exciting announcements. AC Origins looks refreshing and despite the clunky combat on display I will probably dive back into the series after years, BGE2 may be vaporware but the trailer was incredible, and I thought Skull and Bones looked spectacular. May play it just for the visuals.

Sony 7/10

I enjoyed the conference. God of War, Uncharted, MHW, Spiderman and SOTC were riveting enough that the lack of new game announcements didn't bother me too much. Definitely want to hear more from other JP studios though, spoiled after this last crazy quarter.

Nintendo 9.5/10

Nintendo had a great E3. A bunch of announcements for upcoming and future titles, their treehouse playthroughs had enjoyable hosts and informative gameplay, and their games all look incredible. Super excited for ARMS, Splatoon 2, Metroid, and Odyssey. Suuuper pumped for BOTW dlc. FEM looks kinda dull but I may pick it up anyway for Cordelia.

Devolver: -100/-100

FUTURE FUTURE FUTURE FUTURE FUTURE FUTURE F

Overall I'd give this E3 an 8/10 due to great announcements from Nintendo, Ubisoft and MS (including Anthem). It didn't start off that great but by the end I had a list of more than a dozen games I'll probably pick up, so as an enthusiast it was a positive experience.

J-Rzez

Conference quality / content

EA: 1/10 horrible speakers / 3/10
Ubisoft: 3/10 / 3/10
MS: 7/10 good pacing but "exclusive" / 5/10
Sony: 9/10 / 5/10
Ninty: 3/10 / 1/10
Bethesda: 3/10 / 3/10

E3: 1/10. Sure, couple games looked good, Metro, Dragon ball, spooder man, Anthem, and Wolfenstein. But that was it. Such a poor looking coming 12-16 months. Dry spell engaged.

I only watched a couple of them but I'll list the games that I liked

EA: Battlefront looks great now that it's not slurping OT nostalgia
Microsoft: Ori was spectacular of course, Anthem looks promising, and Unruly Heroes and Ashen are on my radar.
Sony: Horizon DLC looks great
Nintendo: A Metroid FPS might get me to pick up a Switch eventually

Pretty boring E3 otherwise, but I haven't enjoyed it since 2014.

Nintendo - 7/10 - On-the-go versions of FIFA, Rocket League and Splatoon "2"
Sony - 5/10 - Shadow of the Colossus
Microsoft - 4/10 - 4K DVD

Overall - 5/10 - Story-driven B-movie games galore and they bore me to death

EA - 5/10
Microsoft - 8/10
Bethesda - 6/10
Ubisoft - 8/10
Sony - 7/10
Nintendo - 9/10

overall rating: 7/10

It honestly felt like neither EA or Bethesda needed press conferences this year. They could have just held their fan events and released game trailers to save us all some time.

Nintendo had my favorite conference based on games shown and the amount of time they used to show them. Very little fluff and I appreciated it! Metroid Prime 4 being announced was a real shock and it's nice to see that Switch has a great games lineup into 2018.

Microsoft and Ubisoft were tied for me. MS showed off a ton of varied games and the Xbox One X looks fantastic to me. Before anyone says it, I don't care about whether or not the titles were "exclusive" as I'll be playing them on Xbox anyway.

Ubisoft surprised me with genuinely great looking games and a decent amount of surprises. Beyond Good and Evil 2 still being a thing just warms my heart and Mario + Rabbids looks great.

Sony was probably my least favorite of the "big three" only because I felt like I've seen their games too much. To have games like God of War, Spider-Man, and Days Gone at yet another E3 without any concrete release dates was a bit disheartening.

Microsoft: Fuck your laser lights, and your DJ music, and your stupid Ferrari or whatever you brought out. Cringey as fuck. Also, fuck your lack of AAA exclusives and exciting announcements. Sea of Thieves looks great though. 5/10

Sony: Loved it from top to bottom. Presentation was top notch once again. God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Spider-Man, Days Gone, Detroit: Become Human all look fucking fantastic. Not as jaw-droppingly amazing as the past few E3s, but my favorite show once again. 8.5/10

Nintendo: Really enjoyed it. The 30 minute time slot limited the impact a bit, but Super Mario Odyssey looks amazing, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 confirmed for this year is fantastic, and full-blown console grade Pokemon and Metroid 4 announcements were amazing. 8/10.

RPGCrazied

Nintendo on Metroid alone, not 1, but 2 games! And a highly anticipated sequel at that. Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 is just extra gravy.

EA - 2/10 (At least A Way Out was Good, saving grace of another boring E3 showing)
Microsoft - 4/10 (Exclusive *cringe*)
Bethesda - 5/10 (Some really good stuff, some really boring stuff)
Ubisoft - 7/10 (Best Show from a presentation standpoint, Let's Dance aside, their games just don't interest me that much, otherwise the score would be higher)
Devolver - 11/10 (Show of the Forever)
Sony - 7/10 (I'm counting the Pre Show and the Press Conference, PC alone would be 5/10)
Nintendo - 5/10 (Sorry Nintendo, no bonus points for logos from me)

Overall: 6/10

Hmm out of 10 with 1 being the worst conference imaginable, 10 being spectacular from start to finish, and 5 being an even mix of good and bad -

EA: 3/10 - Incredibly boring, and I don't trust them with Battlefront II after the first.

Ubisoft: 8/10 - an all around good show without going overboard. The most memorable conference moment occurred here with the Mario+Rabbids director tearing up. Assassin's Creed aint my bag but it looked great for fans. BGE2 was great to see confirmed, though I'm honestly afraid it wont ever actually get released. I'm not a fan of Aisha Tyler as a presenter so I was glad to see she was absent.

Microsoft: 6/10 - Solid showing, definitely more good than bad, but the presentation itself was too long, full of empty buzz words, and didn't do much to generate the obscene levels of hype E3 is known for. Even the hardware reveal felt like it was for a niche device that wont ever become the standard this gen. DB Fighter Z was debuted here though and that was definitely a welcome surprise.

Bethesda: 5/10 - Wolfenstein carried this conference. I don't care about VR.

Sony: 7/10 - Much like Microsoft, it was solid but didn't do anything to really leave a lasting impression. Spider-man looked phenomenal, as did most of their other high profile games, but a lot of this show was a retread of last year. On the other hand, it was tighter and more focused than Microsoft's. I got the impression that Shadow of the Colossus was supposed to make a bigger splash but it ended up landing with little more than mild enthusiasm.

Nintendo: 8/10 - They only barely deserve this score for the best trailer of the show (Mario) and the surprise return of Metroid Prime. I prefer shorter presentations so they get points for me there as well. It would have been a 9/10 if they had shown or talked more about Metroid Prime but alas, we'll have to wait.

Overall: 7/10 - It was a middling year that was carried by Nintendo for me. Their Spotlight should have been a little longer and I wish we could see more future projects but their Treehouse stuff is always a treat to watch, and their tournaments were great fun. Outside of them though, the rest of the show felt surprisingly uneventful.

sphinx

the piano man
hey you 7 people that voted bethesda,

was it Wolfenstein or Evil Within 2?

if nintendo hand't announced metroid I woulve have voted bethesda for EW2,

Top Bottom