• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 conference and event rating thread

Best E3 conference?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hindl

It's crazy that all it takes is a logo to get everyone hyped up on the Nintendo side of things. I suppose that balances out all of the idiots who kept saying "bwaaah, I can't believe Metroid fucking dead! Nintendo KILLED Metroid". That and the pokemon "announcements" were some of the most obvious things in the world. Have some faith in your own first party games, yeeesh.
Pokemon yes, but expecting a Metroid announcement this year would've gotten you laughed out of the room so it was a big deal. It had been 7 years since any word of a Metroid game was even in development

The reaction to Nintendo's conference kind of shows how small the vocal minority is about announcing games too far out. A logo and a clip of a guy saying a console Pokemon was coming was the biggest news out of all three conferences.

It's the same reason I voted for Nintendo too.

Combine that with the negative reaction to Sony's press conference this year despite showcasing great games coming out in 2017/18 and I think I agree. Truthfully it's all about the announcements.

zulux21

EA: 3/10 - boring show.
Microsoft: 5/10 - most of the points are for the format. the format was nice, the games shown off were boring.
Bethesda: 6/10 - they had a few interesting showings, never thought I would think wolfenstein doesn't look bad.
Devolver: 6/10 - rated a 1 for game announcements and 10 for troll factor thus overall a 6
Ubisoft: 7/10 - best ubisoft conference perhaps ever for me. I think it is the first time ever ubisoft showed off two games that I was actually interested in.
Sony: 7/10 - actually showed off the most games i was interested in, but also didn't show off much new.
Nintendo: 8/10 - showed off some new games I am interested in and overall I was interested in most of the conference but there wasn't anything here that really excited me. Overall it was a fine conference though.

overall 7/10 mostly because of announcements that weren't in conferences such as atlus bringing the 3 3ds games I wanted over.

Ubisoft and Bethesda were probably the best... and I can't believe I just typed that out.

Overall, this year was extremely lackluster and I can't recall the last time I was so underwhelmed by E3.

hydruxo

EA 3/10 - Outside of SWBF2 this was mostly a disaster
Bethesda 5/10 - Wolfenstein & TEW saved an otherwise boring conference
Sony 8/10 - Hardly any talking; They showed tons of gameplay for 1st party
MS 6/10 - Lack of first party to sell the X; Pacing/3rd party showing was good
Ubisoft 8/10 - Great variety and the conference was interesting
Nintendo - Didn't watch
Devolver 4/10 - Points for the fake conference; lack of games kills it though. Pre-pre show thing was lame.

Overall: 5.6/10

A mediocre E3 overall.

Kaji AF16

EA - 2/10
Microsoft - 7/10 (disappointing when compared to what I was expecting, but after seeing the rest of the conferences and rewatching what Microsoft shown, I eventually considered it the best of E3. New hardware, lots of
IMHO mostly uninteresting
games, service / platform innovations).
Bethesda - 5/10
Ubisoft - 6/10
Devolver - ?
Sony - 3/10
Nintendo - 6/10

Overall: 5/10

ZombAid82

Games I personally want to buy after this E3 shown by Sony:

Undertale
Everybody's Golf
Hidden Agenda
Ni No Kuni II
Crash Bandicoot
GT Sport
Uncharted
Days Gone
God of War
SotC
Detroit
Spiderman

That's not nothing.

Undertale wasn't in the Conference and the others aren't my thing.
David Cage lost me with Beyond, Days Gone is Zombies, which are dead for me (hehe), I'm through with uncharted, don't need more of that and Ni no kuni was the first one Buddha awful for me
Maybe the SotC Remake, but only discounted, and only if the controls are improved.

EA: 5/10 - A decent amount of games I'm interested in, but the presentation of them was pretty bad, Josef Fares for A Way Out and Janina Gavankar for Battlefront II aside.
Microsoft: 7.5/10 - Some good announcements, plenty of variety, only one of big 3 to focus on indies but moments like the shoutcasting and what seems like the annual car show bring it down and there was no big exclusive that wowed me.
Bethesda: 5/10 - Conference really didn't feel necessary this year. Wolfenstein 2 look bloody brilliant though, which is the only reason it got this high.
PC Gaming Show: 4/10 - Some neat announcements, but I don't think the format works well for an E3 conference. Plus I really don't need to hear about Intel for ages from the world's most boring man.
Ubisoft: 8.5/10 - Plenty of variety, plus Mario + Rabbids looking unexpectedly terrific (and the picture of Guillemot and Miyamoto is a classic). Throw in that BG&E2 trailer and it was the conference of the show for my personal tastes.
Sony: 6.5/10 - A lot of stuff we've seen before. I can't fathom how people are excited for Days Gone. Arguably their most interesting things (Hidden Agenda + getting Undertale) were hidden on the pre-show. Finished off the right way with Spiderman however.
Nintendo: 7.5/10 - Metroid Prime 4 was a big announcement as was Pokemon coming to Switch, but besides those I remember very little aside from Mario Odyssey which I'm sort of "eh" about.

There wasn't surprise after surprise after surprise this E3 which is different to recent years, but there's a decent amount games to be look forward to.

KainXVIII

One of the worst (ie boring) E3, i think, but i don't watch all the conferences.
EA - 1/10
Microsoft - 4/10
Ubisoft - 3/10
Sony - 6/10
Nintendo - 6/10

Tiechie

Neo Member
EA - 4/10 only anthem got my attention.

Microsoft - 6/10 Anthem again here. Disappointed by crackdown 3 and the price point of Xbox one X.

Bethesda - 6/10 Evil within 2 actually makes me want to buy the first game. No new big Bethesda game announced.

Ubisoft - 7/10 Never played beyond good and evil but that trailer got me hyped. Crew 2 and the MARIO games as well.

Sony - 6/10 Maybe because Sony has smashed e3 for the past few years, this e3 felt a little lacklustre. No real megaton announcement.

Unknown?

EA: 2/10
Microsoft: 3/10
This was their big chance to reinvigorate their brand and they fell flat with $500, mostly multiplatform games, and nothing new exclusively. Their flagship title(Crackdown) looked bad compared to what they were showing initially. The insane destruction is only in an arena? Lame.
Bethesda: 2/10
Ubisoft: 7/10
Sony: 6.5/10
I'm glad to have gotten gameplay from games we have seen very little of like Spider-Man and God of War. However a lot of their more interesting stuff was delegated to preshow. And outside of Shadow of the Colossus nothing exciting that was new.
Nintendo: 8/10
They really hit it out of the park. I'm glad because they've needed a good show.
Devolver: 1/10

Overall: 7/10

Bad: EA, Bethesda, MS
Disappointing: Sony
Meh: Ubi
Liked it: Nintendo
Great: Devolver

Overall: pretty disappointing, Nintendo and Devolver kinda saved it.

smallios

Neo Member
EA, Anthem was the highlight, but nothing else of any real interest 4/10

MS They had to knock it out the park and make me want to sell my XB1S and buy the XB1X, but all they did was to show me games I will play on another Format. What they showed was Fine, But the fact the started talking about all we want to show is games, games games and then spend 10 mins talking about a new Porsche that looks like all the other Porsches was a waste of time for me. Crackdown looks fun to play but visually didn't look as great as thought it would do, and a bit of shame we didnt see the total destruction mode that I wanted to see. Thought SoT looked better this time round but not sure if its anything I would play. A solid but unspectacular conference 6/10

Ubisoft, had a couple of surprises, and the games we knew about looked good. The only thing I have an issue with a ubi conference is that the games at E3 always look great, but can fall flat on release 8/10

Sony. Bit of a strange one this, the pre show was great showing plenty of games coming out this year, the conference itself seemed to be an update on games they announced last year and a few new ones. The games shown looked great, and made me more interested but I feel they should of used the pre-show stuff for the conference. I wonder if the problem was they wanted to make it a "show" with pyro, snow, water fall etc, something they couldn't of done for all the games they showed in the preview. Sounded like it was a spectacle in the theatre, but i dont it work for us watching online, some surprises, SOTC , Skyrim VR, but it didn't seem have a wow moment like other years. 7/10

spekkeh

Banned
EA 3/10. A Way Out looks absolutely fantastic. No idea what it was doing at EA's conference of iterative tedium though. Also no idea why EA persists with conferences anyway because it's just yearly shit. Anthem looks nice but I'm not a teenager who wants to party chat with his classmates so a big pass from me.

Bethesda didn't watch. Glad I dodged a bullet. They should've just released the trailer to Wolfenstein and call it a day.

Microsoft 6/10. A very good initial showing and console reveal, it kind of sizzled out of over time with exclusive console launch fuckery of indie games. Much better than I expected though. Decent.

PC Show watched bits and pieces. The host kind of looks like everyone's extrovert brother (in law) and I appreciate how he tried to make something of the sponsored material but boy was that ending a damp squib. Didn't watch enough to score. 4/10 of what I saw.

Sony 6/10. A tonne of great games that we already knew about. Few surprises but also decent.

Ubisoft 8/10. Was a 9/10 until it turned out BGE2 was a whole lot of nothing. Still some great surprises. Not the games themselves because of course they all leaked beforehand but that they were so diverse and interesting and the show had a lot of heart.

Nintendo 7/10. The best games. Though we already knew about most of them and I'm not counting MP4 until we see something real. Missed the skits, the setup was slick but a bit dull.

Devolver 10/10. THE FUTURES FUTURES FUTURES FUTURES FUTURES FUTURE NOW NOW NOW

Kureransu

EA - 2/10
Microsoft - 7/10
Bethesda - 6/10
Ubisoft - 7/10
Devolver - Didn't watch/don't care
Sony - 5/10
Nintendo - Didn't watch/don't care

E3 Floor - 0/10 on Tuesday, 7/10 on Wednesday
E3 Food Prices - $$$$$$/10

Overall Score - 12.879/15.674

Catching up with Gamer friends from around the world? - Priceless
My first E3 I was legit angry.
Me: Yeah let me get a Slice of pizza and a 12 oz. soda
Clerk: okayyy ummmmm. $14.75
me: #@#$!@$#!$#@$@!!!! is there anything cheaper?
Clerk: the hotdog is the cheapest combo.
Me: Fine. I'll get the hotdog.
Clerk: $12.75
Me: ........... ok -_-

EA- Presentation was terrible with the awkward youtube personalities, didn't care for the sports games. While I probably won't play A Way Out, the premise and idea were good. The only game I cared about was Battlefront, looked good, wished we saw more multiplayer. 4/10

MS- Microsoft had a good conference, but the main takeaway for me was they showed 42 games and I only cared about 3 of them: Anthem, Ashen and the saving grace of the conference and game of the show, Dragon Ball FighterZ. The conference showed that I have no need for an Xbox. 6/10

Bethesda - Didn't watch the show, don't care for Evil Within but the trailer was cool, Wolfenstein also looked cool, the rest didn't interest me. 4.5/10

Ubi- A good conference overall, out of the big publishers, Ubisoft are my favourite but this E3 they didn't sell me on any of their games. Am a huge AC fan but something about Origins feels off, and I feel the same with Far Cry 5. Two major disappointments were Skull and Bones and BGE2. S&B thought it was going to a pirate game like black flag without assassins, but like someone here mentioned it is just For Honor with boats. Beyond Good and Evil 2, have little knowledge of the first game, but that trailer was awesome and I thought I would be getting a space pirate space opera action adventure game. But everything I heard about the game afterwards, it is online and stuff completely turned me off. None of the games was bad, but none really interest me, but I did like the presentation and the devs showed some passion for the game their creating. 6.5/10

Sony- Sony's were my favourite, that is mainly because the games spoke to me more and they have an impressive line-up of exclusives. Spider-man, God of War and Detroit looked great. Really interested in Monster Hunter World. Good to see they're still invested in VR which make me consider getting one. Some low moments were, Destiny 2 and COD. While the games were great 3 problems for me were the lack of surprise announcement except for 1, a lot of games were shown in the pre-show or a week before, and third I preferred the style of last year, this year they only showed trailers, no live demo, they could have just put a playlist on youtube and it would be the same. Overall as a ps4 owner, I have a lot of games to look forward to and they did have one my favourite announcement, the remake of Shadow of the Colossus. 8/10

Nintendo- Nintendo spotlight was out of all of them the most effective one, compared to Microsoft, they sold me on their console. First let me say I am not a Nintendo fan, outside of Pokemon I don't care for any of Nintendo IP and I have only ever played Super Mario Land on Gameboy and a donkey kong game on SNES. Watching this spotlight 3 games interested me. First Xenoblade 2, watched the treehouse as well and am sold on the game, second is the announcement of a Pokémon game and third was Mario Odessey. As for the rest of the game, they didn't impress me and I never played a Metroid game, so didn't care for Prime 4, but I am curious to see more of those game. So with these 3 game announcement, and released games like Zelda, some indie support and strangely enough Arms, I am sold on the switch and will save money so I can buy it in the fall. The only thing lacking from the spotlight, was some third party support, mainly from Japanese publishers.
7.5/10

Overall E3- This year E3 wasn't bad but wasn't impactful as the previous year, I think expectation might have affected this E3 for a lot of people. But there were some cool games: God of War, Spider-Man, Battlefront, Ni No Kuni, Mario, Xenoblade and many others. The only big surprise announcement was the remake of Shadow of the Colossus one of my favourite games of all time. But, and I can't believe this is happening, that at E3 where there are 100s of games, the one that shocked and stood out there the most for me is a Dragon Ball game. Dragon Ball Fighterz is my most anticipated game, it is my game of the show, and I can't fucki*** believe how good it looks, and it is the saving grace of this E3 for me.

blakep267

EA: 2/10. But this is nothing new for EA

Ubi: meh didn't watch. The highlights weren't mind blowing

MS: 7.5/10. Was a bit lower but after further review it was good. TONS OF games and new stuff I had hadnt an before

Sony: 6/10. Nothing really new and the stuff shown wasn't interesting to me last year. Spider-Man is sort of interesting

Nintendo: not a huge fan but it was interesting enough. 7.5/10

EhoaVash

Pretty bad E3 overall 5/10

EA - tried watching it but fell asleep. 1/10

Microsoft - DBZ and anthem looked cool but the games shown felt very indie and not memorable
6/10

Bethesda - didn't watch

Ubisoft - Mario and beyond look great( shame that it was only a cgi teaser and that the game is Soooo long way off even after being in development hell for last decade ), ass Creed a little disappointing. 7/10

Sony - god of war looked great, I want to like spiderman but it's too infested with QTE's. that's about it the rest felt like rehash of last year 6/10

Nintendo - 6/10 Mario Odyssey looked very fun. Prime announcement was nice but zero footage is a bummer, same for Pokemon switch. The rest were meh announcement ( Kirby is alright but game isn't doing anything new I feel, so being so lazy Hal laboratory)

Takat

I voted Nintendo. Because it had a mechanic reveal that drastically change the way we view Mario. I thought it was surprising in itself. So it was like rediscovering Mario Odyssey again.

Everything else was great too. I thought everyone did a great job.

Aleh

EA > 4/10 The only good thing about this conference was how ridiculous it was, which made me laugh in more than one occasion. Which is something!

Microsoft > 6/10 It was okay. Nothing earth-shattering, but enjoyable.

Bethesda > didn't watch

Devolver Digital > didn't watch

PC Gamer Show > didn't watch

Ubisoft > 7/10 This one was very nice, with a couple of interesting things for sure. Nicely executed.

Sony > didn't watch (because of time zones)

Nintendo > 8/10 The Spotlight was direct to the point, and it had a couple of awesome confirmations in the form of Metroid Prime 4 and Pokémon Switch. Odyssey had an amazing trailer too, and I liked the rest even if it was mostly known stuff. The Treehouse sections + tournaments were very entertaining, although there was some obvious repetition during day 3.

Overall > 7/10

ActWan

I won't give grades, but that's the order for me:
Sony > Nintendo > Bethesda > Ubisoft > PC Gaming Show > Microsoft > EA < Devolver.

Hattori

Banned
Nintendo Spotlight: 7/10
Nintendo Treehouse: 10/10
Sony: 7/10
Microsoft: 6/10
EA: 6/10
Ubisoft: 8/10
Bethesda: 6/10

E3: 7/10

13ruce

Banned
Nintendo 11/10 (2 fucking Metroids)
Sony 5/10
Microsoft 6/10
Ubisoft 8.1/10
Devolver 10/10
Bethesda 4/10
Ea 1/10

Overall 5,5.

EA - 4/10 A Way Out, Anthem and Star Wars Battlefront 2 look quite solid, but that's it.

Microsoft - 4/10 Main exclusives Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves do not appeal to me (also announced awhile ago). Lack of nice surprises (Ori 2 looks pretty sweet, a good look at Anthem and has some interest in Code Vein and Life is Strange prequel). Only exclusive I'm interested in is Cuphead (shown many times already) and to a smaller degree Ori 2. Forza 7 looks pretty, but I'm not into racing games. Without any draw of exclusive games to my tastes, XOX does nothing for me.

Bethesda - 5/10 Most of the titles shown do not excite me. Except the Evil Within 2. Loved the first one very much.

Ubisoft - 7.5/10 Favourite of the bunch, but not by much. While I generally don't play FPS, Far Cry 5 looks interesting. Assassin Creed Origins looks awesome. Mildly interested in Mario + Rabbits, something I might play. A good look at South Park with a release date (not as exciting, as it was announced quite awhile ago). Blown away by BGE2 (never played the first one), the CGI trailer is very well made (the info blowout after was super disappointing though - day 0 development, online, etc)

Sony - 7/10 After two amazing E3s, this is a big step down. Lack of major surprises, with Monster Hunter World, Horizon DLC, SoTC Remake and Inpatient being the main ones (interested to get them, MHW in particular I am excited to play). Previously announced games look seriously impressive and right up my alley - Spiderman, GOW, Detroit, Days Gone and Uncharted 4 DLC all look awesome, but are not new announcements (pre show contains Ni No Kuni 2 release date, Final Fantasy Dissidia NT and Dragonball Fighter Z which are awesome, but not part of the conference)

Nintendo - 6/10 Good look at Mario Odysessy and Xenoblade 2, both of which I'm keen to play. However these games have been announced already. Lack of surprises, with Yoshi being the only new announcement that I love (Mario + Rabbits to a smaller degree). Not feeling it for Kirby and Arms. Slight interest in Splatoon 2 but that has also been announced previously. Showing a title screen for Metroid and Pokemon does nothing for me. Show is also too short imo.

Overall rating: 5.5/10 I like surprises, which I find this E3 to be sorely lacking all around. Impressive showing for already announced games inspires confidence but does not excite me significantly.

Kyuur

As a ratio of games/products I am interested in, rounded to the nearest point:

EA: 1/10
MS: 4/10
Bethesda: 0/10
Ubisoft: 4/10
Sony: 2/10
Nintendo: 8/10

Pretty clear winner. MS/Ubisoft/Sony all get extra points for big hitters for me (Ori/BG&E2/MH) but so does Nintendo.

Devolver Digital: 100/10

Edit: Forgot overall -- I'd put it around 8/10, lots of big hitting surprises for me and I'm used to wading through the shit to get to them.

cooldawn

I voted for UBISoft. The lowdown.

EA Bored - 1/10
I don't even want to give them that. Trading on the Battlefield and Battlefront was misguided. Amateur presenters was misguided. Conference structure was misguided. It was just a complete an utter mess and not one of the games 'popped'. One of the worst I have ever seen.

Microsoft Delighted - 8/10
I feel that Microsoft are getting their mojo back. The age of Mattrick is being phased out and now Phil is stamping his own authority on to the brand. I know he says it's a team effort but it needed clear leadership and that's what he and others provide. Hardware was good, software was good and structure was fluid. Excellent presentation overall.

UBISoft Excited - 9/10
No Aisha but still a cracker, bookended by two stunning reveals and a special guest. Like Microsoft, UBISoft seem to have turned a corner and really focus on what software means. Great variety of content show including my personal game of the show. All finished off with the creators on-stage like it's all a family. Bravo. Best conference this year.

Sony Failed - 4/10
PlayStation is my thing but this year's E3 is in stark contrast to the last few years. The difference is astonishing. The whole conference was completely and utterly impersonal. I was shocked at the distance Shawn Laydon put between himself and his audience. The suit...just wasn't the right message. The last few years were 'fun' but this year it was sit, listen and shut-up. It was like they didn't really care so they just chucked stuff at my face to see what I'd eat without letting me even breath. Sure, God of War and Spiderman are impressive big-hitters, Days Gone and the DLC stuff looked good and Shadow of the Colossus remake was an excellent surprise but everything else was way too dry. I mean Gran Turismo Sport...all the pre-conference content...should have been in there. Really, really disappointing arms-length narrative.

Games I personally want to buy after this E3 shown by Sony:

Undertale
Everybody's Golf
Hidden Agenda
Ni No Kuni II
Crash Bandicoot
GT Sport
Uncharted
Days Gone
God of War
SotC
Detroit
Spiderman

That's not nothing.
It's not the content. I have most of those pre-ordered too...it's the way it went down. Just an awful way to present anything.

EA: I don't care.
Bethesda: Don't care.
Microsoft: 5/10
Ubisoft: 6/10
Sony: 6/10
Nintendo: 7/10

I should say that I do care for both EA and Bethesda's games, but I don't watch their conferences anymore. Not worth it. I'd rather just watch the trailers later on Youtube.

Microsoft: I have no interest in the Xbox One X from a personal standpoint, only a technological and business/market standpoint, so it's official reveal didn't do anything for me. Forza's always cool, but it's a very known quantity at this point. Sea of Thieves still looks interesting, but that demo was annoying (probably because of the guy talking), and I think Skull & Bones will eat its lunch. Finally got some freaking release dates for Cuphead and Crackdown, so that's nice. Still, I feel like MS needed more. This was their time to shine, but it was a very, very average conference when they could have had an epic one. But at the same time I won't fault them for not showing games that would be 3+ years out.

And also, Really? Another car reveal? Come on.

Sony: No it wasn't crazy like 2015 and 2016, but still a solid showing. No big surprises, though we got a few smaller ones like Shadow of the Colossus. VR segment, as usual, was a pain to sit through. Not that there weren't any interesting VR games they showed, just it doesn't translate well. We got more from God of War, Spiderman, Days Gone, and Detroit, so that's cool. I'm banking hard on Spiderman being good. I NEED it to be great.

Nintendo had the best conference simply because Mario Odyssey looks amazing, and we also got announcements for Metroid Prime Fucking 4 and a (mainline?) Pokemon game on Switch. Those 3 alone made it the best conference.

borges

Banned
Sony: 7/10 -> Good games, but no surprises. Spiderman didnt look interesting at all for me. Some very big misses in the stage, but all in all, good show.

Microsoft: 8.5/10 -> Good reveal of new hardware, and some of the best games of E3 shown there for the first time (Anthem and Metro Exodus). Tons of games, with lot of variety (Ori2, The Last Night, Forza 7, etc).

EA: 4/10 -> Boring, and that mixed of a traditional show with Youtubers didnt quite fit that well.

E3: 7/10 -> There was better shows in the past, but Xbox One X reveal and some games (Mario Oddissey, Anthem) make it quite remarkable.

norm9

Enjoyed Nintendo as well as most of Ubisoft's conference. Third place is the saga of the missing twitch poker plater.

Only listing the shows that I actually watched.

Microsoft: 6/10
Bethesda: 5/10
Sony: 7/10
Nintendo: 7/10

Overall, it was a pretty lackluster E3. Microsoft just showed a bunch of games that I can play pretty much anywhere else. Sony basically only updated us on projects that have already been revealed, but I will say that their focus on upcoming VR games is pushing me toward the PSVR. Nintendo revealed a couple of new Metroids, but Prime 4 was only a logo. Mario Odysee looks great though! Bethesda was a little light on content, but Wolfenstien looks great!

Some Nobody

I hate numbers, so let's go with grades and I'll do a rating for the whole conference just to satisfy OP.

EA: C+ This conference was boring but its what you expected going in, right? Madden, NBA Live, FIFA, Battlefield/Battlefront... The only thing is they could've trimmed the fat and made this a much more interesting conference overall without all the jokey bits. A Way Out looked neat and Anthem is going to destroy my time in Fall 2018 I hope.

Microsoft: B. Maybe its just the way I rate conferences but I thought they did a solid job. They stole Anthem from EA which is unfortunate but overall the actual show moved along at a decent clip and felt like a much better showing for the Xbox One X than the PS4 Pro's presentation was. I felt like I was watching a legitimate next-gen console being unveiled. Too bad about the pricing, though.

Bethesda: D+ A mod did a "summary" of this show that I thought was hilarious and accurate...wish I could find it. Great presentation but the content wasn't worth 40 minutes--you could've tossed each of those exclusives to either Sony or Microsoft and skipped this year, quite frankly.

Ubisoft: A. Its crazy but...Ubisoft won E3 for me. Starlink and Beyond Good and Evil are not only "new" reveals but they're games I want to play right now. Origins looked good, The Crew was silly but looked fun--the whole show was just wall to wall new games.

Sony: B+. Slightly better than Microsoft because they trimmed the fat from their presentation and I like their first-party titles more. But if I were to rate them it'd literall be like an 80 for Microsoft to an 85 for Sony, it's that close. We paid for 2016 having such an amazing conference by learning that Sony was really "out" of games and we'd be seeing the stuff from 2016 again this year, and most of them again next year. It's fine since these games are great, but its going to wear on people when they see Days Gone and Spidey again in 2018.

Nintendo: B. I'm sorry, but a title screen and a project lead telling me about the new game in a franchise does not create hype. I'll give it to Nintendo, they had a tight program that managed to show off all their coming games for the rest of the year and show us two legit new surprises alongside two sort-of surprises in all of 24 minutes. And that's with Reggie's "Isn't Nintendo the best?" speech. EA and Microsoft should really take notes.

All-in-all, I give this E3 a 7/10. A lot of games I wanted weren't there, but I know they're going to happen, I just need to chill. And I also know that next year is likely going to be lit, with a lot of the titles I wanted for this year making an appearance.

To me Ubisoft won this year easy, and that's something I never thought I'd say.

spekkeh

Banned
People who haven't watched Devolvers show should still do so. It's only 15 minutes and makes fun of the other conferences, so it's a nice way to cap off E3.

Bit surprised to see so much negativity (I probably should be used to it by now) as this was the best E3 overall in quite some time in my opinion. I saw everything except Bethesda, and I feel like nobody had a bad showing. Seems like lots for everyone to be happy about.

Weebos

Banned
EA - 3/10
Ubisoft - 7/10
Microsoft - 5/10
Sony - 4/10
Nintendo - 6/10

Middling E3, but not terrible. There were a few pretty interesting games shown, but a lot of 2018 and beyond. Not much for my favorite genres.

Overall 5/10

Dyle

EA Weed3/10 Too many influencers, no new ips
Microsoft $499.99/1000 No new ips
Bethesda Fallout 4 VR/10 Too many trailers, not enough actual gameplay footage. A live or prerecorded demo of one of their VR games would have greatly improved it.
Devolver Digital Future's Future's Future/10 Most enjoyable conference by far, I'm not even upset that they didn't really show any games
PC gaming show Who cares?/10 Didn't watch in full, but all of the clips that showed up in that cringe compilation told me I didn't need to.
Ubisoft Far Cry 5 + Beyond Good and Evil 2/10 Great showing, pacing/transitions could have been better.
Sony KNACK 2 BAYBEE/10 No new ips, barely any VR, really needed presenters to give the presentation a flow. At least God of War looks good
Nintendo Metroid Prime 4/5 Fun, fast, and lots of announcements. Lack of Prime 4, Pokemon Stars,SMT V footage, Retro or Platinum projects a bit disappointing.

Overall a pretty weak E3, with much of the best news and details for me coming after the presentations themselves.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I posted this in another thread already but this seems a better place for it so here it is again with a few extra bits;

Best Press Conference: Ubisoft. I don't think any of the other conferences really come close. They were consistent and had two of the best announcements / reveals across the entire show ( Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle and Beyond Good and Evil 2 ). The conference was well paced and never really made me feel bad ( aside from maybe Skull & Bones being multiplayer only and lacking on-foot gameplay ).

Things I liked in no particular order:

A Way Out - The kind of co-op game I've wanted to see happen for a while now. Great on EA for giving them the budget.
Sea of Thieves - Looks like a bunch of fun to play with friends. Good vibes and good times!
Xbox One X - If Microsoft ends up announcing maybe a few more cool exclusives, this is the Xbox One I will be picking up. Small and powerful.
Ori and the Will of the Wisps - I mostly liked the first one, so what's not to like here?
Anthem - Has potential. Excitement somewhat diminished by fake commentary but more on that later.

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle - This looked great! I have a soft spot for the Rabbids' humor and the combat gameplay looked like a whole bunch of fun.
Beyond Good and Evil 2 - This might be CG and I may not have played the original, but the world, vision, and attention to detail they showed here blew me away.
Assassin's Creed: Origins - First Assassin's Creed I will pick up after Black Flag. Nothing groundbreaking, but looks fun enough and I like the setting.
God of War - Amazing trailer with a lot of story crumbs. I love how they steered this franchise in a completely different direction. Day one.
Detroit: Become Human - Finally touched on what seems to be the overarching story, and the possibilities for this game to go into real grey areas has me excited.

Days Gone - This demo did a much better job of getting me excited than last year's demo. I'm slightly interested now but feel like I still need to see more.
Shadow of the Colossus - Yes. Yes. Yes.
Monster Hunter World - I have never been interested in Monster Hunter before, but this looked fun and dynamic and not graphically like a PS2 game, so I'm interested!
Super Mario Odyssey - Trailer was fun and jolly and I'm super excited for this game now, especially after the disappointing Super Mario 3D World.
Ubi devs with passion - I did not expect to be dreading the day Ubisoft would be taken over by Vivendi... I hope they all pull through. <3

Spiderman - I felt the demo fell kind of flat at first but have since come around to it.
The game looks very solid and I'm happy we're going to see more high quality AAA licensed games after the Batman Arkham series.​

Things I hated:

Fake commentary and animations:

Please, please, please, pleeeeeaaaaase can we do away with this crap? I just don't understand why developers / publishers still think that fake 'gameplay' commentary is still acceptable. I'm looking at you, Bioware. Anthem looked great and all, but why kill that with totally-real-players-and-not-actors giving forced fake commentary on things we have no context for. "I'll have to explore that place later with Kim!" - did they think we would not understand that a specific place is explorable if they did not drop in that line? "Yes! I got the [Weapon name here]!" - Ok? Why is that cool? Should I be excited or amazed at this weapon when we know literally nothing about your weapon / loot systems yet? It's all so pointless and fake and condescending. Just stop it please.

The same goes for faked / canned animations in ' gameplay' demos. Metro Exodus had several moments where animations were obviously faked or touched up / scripted to look muuuuch more cinematic than they would during actual gameplay. Anthem also had a moment like this early on with a large creature attacking smaller creatures. I just can't get excited for your game if you feel the need to fake animations like that. If you were confident in your game, you would've shown us what it actually looks like when you play the game.

Semi-related to the ' fake commentary' is the shoutcasting for games we don't even know yet. We don't know the mechanics or the gameplay, so shouting about how awesome this one kill was does absolutely NOTHING because we have no context for how anything actually plays in the game. Shoutcasting is also a nice bridge to the next point;

"We're making the next big E-sport!":

No. You're not. You don't get to decide that. You are making a competitive multiplayer game, and if people like it enough, those people will make it an E-sport, not you.

Exclusive content and 'Exclusive Console Debut'

The year long exclusive content for Destiny 2 is just dumb. I get that it is a good deal for Sony, but I just wish these kind of things would go away. Same goes for Microsoft's usage of vague terms like 'Exclusive Console Debut' without clarifying while the voice-over says only 'EXCLUSIVE'. It's meaningless padding for forum list wars, nothing more. Just be straight with us.

The structure of the Sony conference:

Sony could have had a much better conference with the games they had. They should have cut Skyrim VR ( have Bethesda show it at their conference since they love it so much ) and Star Child ( really just not interesting enough ) from the VR segment. They should have brought the trailers for Ni No Kuni II, Crash Bandicoot, Knack 2 and Gran Turismo Sport into the conference - these are big titles coming soon and excluding them from the conference entirely was a bad decision. It would have given the conference a bit more meat. The Call of Duty: WWII and Destiny 2 trailers were very poorly done, but I put that mostly on Activision. CoD:WWII desperately needed a singleplayer demo or a competent multiplayer demonstration vs. whatever the hell this mess of a trailer was and D2 just did not show enough new things. I honestly also expected a Battlefront II singleplayer demo - or at least trailer - because EA didn't showcase it, but for whatever reason it just wasn't there despite the marketing deal.

Monster Hunter > Shadow of the Colossus was a nice one-two-punch, but I really missed that final big announcement. Spiderman looked solid, but should not have closed the show, especially when we already knew we were going to see it. They easily could have kept last year's Spiderman announcement or PSX's The Last of Us Part II announcement ( Or hell, why not both! Last E3 already had plenty with Days Gone, God of War, Death Stranding and Resident Evil VII, and PSX had Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite, Crash Bandicoot gameplay, WipEout Omega Collection and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy ) for this E3 instead and that would've given this show much more impact. This conference was just much, much worse than it could and should have been.

I'm also a tiny bit disappointed that Sucker Punch wasn't there, but I think Sony has the first party side locked down well with Media Molecule, Sucker Punch and The Last of Us Part II ready to fire for next year's E3.

Side note on Sony: disappointed to hear that they seem to be blocking PS4 from cross-platform play for whatever reason. This might have to do with larger issues with PSN.

The state of Microsoft first party games:

Crackdown 3 did not show well; it needed a more in-depth re-reveal. The bare-bones trailer we got did nothing to alleviate ( my ) concerns about the quality of the game after the delays and no-shows. If they were confident in this game they should have shown that by giving it an actual gameplay demo. Forza is a yearly franchise and as such is not surprising or exciting. Sea of Thieves looks to be genuinely great and I want to play it, but it was already at last year's E3 with gameplay.

And that is the entirety of their AAA first party line-up. That's a very poor showing. The only other things they probably even have going on right now are Gears of War and Halo, and that's just not good enough. Not by a long shot. They need to invest more in their own studios and get new projects going. Microsoft can't rely on Halo / Gears / Forza forever and they have to realize that. Sea of Thieves is the one step in the right direction but it just feels like too little too late. The extra attention for a good number of great looking indie games was appreciated, but it feels like that was mostly done because the first party just isn't there right now. That also goes for Xbox One X and Original Xbox backwards compatibility; both great and exciting, but I don't really care if you're not going to show new games that I want to play.

Side note on Microsoft: Phill Spencer's 'PS4 Pro is competing with Xbox One S' and 'I don't like exclusive deals' comments are dumb.

The Nintendo 'Please be excited' Spotlight:

Nintendo's two biggest announcements were absolutely pointless. Mainline POKeMON RPG on the Switch was just mentioned - which they had to do because they messed up the POKeMON Direct* - and Metroid Prime 4 was literally just a logo and then turned out to not even be developed by Retro. What is the point of these? You expect me to get hyped purely because of a logo? Show us your world, show us your vision, show us something, tell us something, anything! If you have nothing to say and nothing to show, why announce it? Aside from those two I also felt that both Kirby and Yoshi fell a bit flat because they felt very ... basic. Yep, that's Kirby and that's Yoshi. I can see that. And the games are called... 'Kirby' and 'Yoshi'. Those are not the final titles, right? And the release date for both is a non-specific '2018'. It didn't get me particularly excited to be honest.

*Instead of what they did, they should've started with the 3DS logo and Ultra Sun / Moon, then mention that a core POKeMON RPG is also in development for Switch but not ready yet, then announce Pokken for Switch to help soften the wait.

Also, a message for Bethesda:

We love Skyrim.
I love Skyrim.
But can you please just shut up about Skyrim?​

Overall I just don't know what to think of this E3...
There was a lot of great, high quality stuff this year, but in the end I also feel like something was somehow missing and that pretty much all conferences weren't as good as they could have been due to various reasons. EA was missing Star Wars ( no Amy Hennig or Battlefront II singleplayer ) and Need for Speed just fell completely flat for me, Bethesda was a bit off on the execution of their presentation concept, Microsoft was missing first party and was a bit obnoxious with their vague EXCLUSIVE before everything, Sony was poorly structured and missing a final big new announcement, Nintendo basically threw us a mention of a game being in development and a logo, and Devolver - while funny in their own bizarre way - really could have put in a bit more effort to also show off their many many cool indie games vs. just shitting on the industry.

There have been much worse E3s though.

If I have to rank my top 5 games;

1. Super Mario Odyssey
2. God of War
3. Beyond Good and Evil 2
4. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
5. Sea of Thieves

Honorable Mentions:

Monster Hunter World
Detroit: Become Human
Shadow of the Colossus
A Way Out
Spiderman

Conference Ratings:

Ubisoft: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#11089;
Sony: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#11089;&#11089;
Microsoft: &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#11089;&#11089;
EA: &#9733;&#9733;&#11089;&#11089;&#11089;
Bethesda: &#9733;&#9733;&#11089;&#11089;&#11089;
Nintendo: &#9733;&#9733;&#11089;&#11089;&#11089;

EA: 2/10 - SO BAD!
Microsoft: 7/10 - Better on hindsight.
Bethesda: 6/10 - Decent conference but not a Wolfenstein fan.
Ubisoft: 7/10 - Very solid.
Sony: 4/10 - What happened here?
Nintendo: 8/10 - Surprised me the most.

Overall: 6/10 - Pretty uneventful E3, but some games like Anthem, Mario Odyssey, Ashen and Spider-Man showed well.

Elandyll

Banned
Ubisoft: 8/10 - decent diversity of titles, a few surprised and quite a few great looking games
Sony: 7.5/10 - maybe expectations were too high after 2 stellar years, but the conference felt rushed and in spite of a few surprises (SotC, Horizon dlc in 2017, 2 SuperMassive games, nice push of VR titles...) the presser underwhelmed imo, in spite of great looking games being showcased (GoW, DG, Spider-Man, Detroit...)
Bethesda: 6/10 - Didn't do much for me tbh, in spite of a crazy Wolfenstein 2 and a very interesting dlc for Dishonored 2
MS: 5/10 - during the most hail mary presser MS should have had in years with a brand new very hyped Hardware to boot, they showed 0 AAA exclusives (the words "Console Launch Exclusive" were used a lot though), disappointing showings for already known 1st party (SoT and CD3), and ended the whole thing with an upper end price for Scorpio estimates at $499
EA: 4/10 - Underwhelming and awkward, which is weird because Battlefront 2 is my most awaited game of the Holidays, alongside NNK2. Just wish we'd have seen more.

Sony KNACK 2 BAYBEE/10 No new ips, barely any VR, really needed presenters to give the presentation a flow. At least God of War looks good...

Funny review, just wanted to point out the following: VR actually had a big showcase (much to the chagrin of non VR fans), and new IPs were introduced (mostly in the VR / Playlink category, in particular Hidden Agenda)

luminous

EA: 1/10 - it feels like they've shown even less than usual, 75% of the conference was just the usual yearly revisions of sports game we know of and whatever new car game theyre making. Why do they even bother.

Microsoft: 3/10 - boring. The only highlights were Life is Strange and the AC Origins trailer. Gave me no reasons to be interested in a XboneX.

Ubisoft: 7/10 - it had Bubble Pop play on stage during Just Dance so it's automatically good. But to be honest it's the first time I'm interested in an AC game since like the AC2 days. Mario x Rabbids, Skull and Bones and Starlink seemed cool, though what realy did it for me was the BG&E2 announcement which I've been lowkey waiting for nearly a decade now. God it's so far off but I'm still really hyped for that.

Sony: 5/10 - eh. It wasn't exactly bad but so uneventful compared to past years. Couldn't possibly have gone with a more boring intro than a long ass demo of the TLoU-but-generic game. It did get me interested in Spider-Man and MonHun World tho, perhaps God of War too. By the end of each conference I'm usually like "is it over already" half-serious but in Sony's case I was just "is this REALLY it?". It felt so short.

Nintendo: 8/10 - Mega stocked for Xenoblade 2 and SM Odyssey. Confirmation of a new mainline Pokemon game secured my future Switch buyage even more. Nice showing despite only being like 25mins long. Switch's future is looking good. Really glad for their Direct->Treehouse format.

Didnt watch the rest so idk. Overall it was ok I guess, I mean last year only Sony managed to grab my attention (in a big way however) while this year Ubi and Nintendo were good so it's far from bad at least. Still... something felt missing

Hupsel

Microsoft: 5/10 (Expected way more from them and a real reason to buy a Scorpio. Still no new first party AAAs).
Sony: 5/10 (Same games as last year and nothing new for 2017).
EA: 4/10 (Same shit every year. At least A Way Out looked interesting, otherwise it would have been a 3/10).
Bethesda: 5/10 (Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein this year. Other than that it was a pretty shitty conference).
Ubisoft: 7/10 (Not bad. Still no Prince of Persia :( )
Nintendo: 7/10 (Interesting conference for the time they had to show games.)

Overall: 5/10 (Not a very good E3 in terms of announcements and exciting stuff)

EA: 3/10 - Just another boring EA conference.

Bethesda: 5/10 - Two great games in TEW2 and Wolfenstein 2 but the conference was still largely poor. Games could've showed up elsewhere and still be as impactful.

MS: 7.5/10 - A solid show with a lot of games. Some poor demos here and there and a failure to really sell the XB1 holds it back.

Ubisoft: 8.0/10 - A really good showing, with lots of emotion which is great to see. BGE2 had a great reveal and Rabbids looked fantastic.

Sony: 8.0/10 - Not many surprises outside or SotC but it was still a good conference. Spiderman, GoW, Days Gone and SotC were some of my highlights. If I counted the pre-show, I'd bump this up by half a point or so.

Nintendo: 7.0/10 - This score reflects pretty much just Metroid Prime 4 and Odyssey. The former was an unexpected but poor reveal. The latter looked phenomenal. Reggie talked too much and didn't much care for the rest.

So Sony/Ubisoft tied for best, but this was definitely an underwhelming year overall. Don't think there's any clear winners for me and it's easy for me to see why someone would prefer one conference over another.

spekkeh

Banned
Bit surprised to see so much negativity (I probably should be used to it by now) as this was the best E3 overall in quite some time in my opinion. I saw everything except Bethesda, and I feel like nobody had a bad showing. Seems like lots for everyone to be happy about.
Wasn't a fan of EA either, but the three console conferences I thought were pretty good too. Refreshingly little waffle and bullshit (except for the Porsche reveal I guess), just a lot of games.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'll do the big 3

Sony- Sony is my favorite of the big 3 and they blew it this year. Their big titles in terms of presence were yet another big long gameplay segment of days gone which had a trailer AND gameplay at last e3, and tbh i have 0 interest in that game. God of war looked great, but again we already had a lot of that last e3, and again spiderman which was awesome to see gameplay, but already saw at least some last year. SOTC was my game of the show no doubt, but it only got a glimpse and everything else was basically multiplat.

Good on sony for supporting VR for the people who have invested, but I don't have VR, and even if I did, the games looked really bad. In patient looked pretty great, but skyrim? Who wants to play through that ridiculously long game for the millionth time in VR? VR is better in small bursts and Skyrim is a straight binge game, not to mention it looked as janky as ever. The other games looked so low budget, that military game, and that futuristic game were awful. Just a disappointing conference altogether

3/10

Nintendo- Short and sweet, but by far the most content of the big guys. New pokemon, new metroid (2 of them), new kirby, new yoshi, mario blowout, etc. Just an unreal year for them. I still wish they would do a full blown conference. They seem to be getting away from those (the entire industry) and it's a bummer, because I love the big event feel of it.

7/10

MSFT- Never has xbox looked less appealing to me. They showed off some cool stuff, but the vast majority of it can be played on PC. The scorpio priced itself out for me when I can put that towards building a computer that's far more future proof AND play all the games (most) that were shown at this conference.

2/10

Weakest E3 in years for me. SOTC is amazing, all the nintendo franchises are great, south park looks outstanding, evil within 2, God of War, Uncharted DLC, and a few others, but most stuff we already knew about

Endo Punk

EA: A Way Out of 10
Ubisoft: 6/10...
Bethesda: The Evil Within out of 10
Microsoft: 5/10 or multiplatform out of 10
Sony: 5/10 or Last year's exclusives out of 10
Nintendo: Metroid Prime 4.png

Van Bur3n

I suppose I'll do the arbitrary rating for the sake of the thread.

EA: 1/10 - Dogshit as usual, EA has no idea what people want. Especially in regards to what we want to watch from a conference. EA has this unique sixth sense and knowing exactly what people don't want and they deliver on that front with their conferences. It's rather remarkable, really.

Microsoft: 6/10 - A lot of games, much of which didn't interest me but I at least appreciate them actually showing things people want to see. Didn't care for anything in regards to the Xbox One X and nothing has convinced me on buying one though.

Bethesda: 4/10 - A fucking mess in terms of pacing and actually showing anything meaningful. Although they dropped some (albeit expected) bombs with Wolfenstein 2, and maybe The Evil Within 2 for those who give a shit about that one, everything else was nothing new, something people didn't want to hear (paid mods), and it was overall not great to watch and a pointless conference with so little to show.

Ubisoft: 7/10 - They had games to show, and while absolutely none of them interested me, I appreciate the effort. Also very little bullshit, which is a new high for Ubisoft.

Sony: 4/10 - Besides of few things that wowed, much of it was the same things we knew existed. All of which not very appealing to me either. Felt like a pointless conference.

Didn't watch any of the other ones because I don't care for memes or Nintendo (until they decided to show off Metroid so, now I wish I had watched).

Overall, a weak ass E3. If I were to rate it on games that actually interested me, they would almost all be at nada. But I feel that's something more so on me and my own tastes.

Top Bottom