• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3: Kojima Announcing 2 Games, MGS5?

Snuggler said:
Yep. I get why some people are tired of the series, but I'm a big fan and I'll gladly buy another one but it's needs to be a reboot, or at least something close to one. I liked MGS4 but I don't think there is any sense in trying to build off of that story. It's too convoluted and messy at this point, they're better off just wiping the slate clean and starting a new Metal Gear story. Maybe it could be set in the distant past or future from the main line games.

Metal Gear Future, that's what I'd want... give me some futuristic stealth. I like how the series always had some advanced tech and kept introducing more from game to game... now go all the way.

ArjanN

-Pyromaniac- said:
I'm surprised there are people who are genuinely really excited for Rising. Guess I'm just not aching to chop shit up in different angles and whatnot.

I'm actually suprised there is so little excitement.

I also don't understand why people assume it's only going to be some hack and slash game. Just because they've shown a tech demo for the cutting mechanic?

They could have the exact same metal gear type gameplay, except you kill people with a sword instead of a gun.

I think Rising could be just the refresh/spinoff the series needs after MGS4. Not sure if it'll deliver but what they've shown looked great IMO.

ArjanN said:
I'm actually suprised there is so little excitement.

I also don't understand why people assume it's only going to be some hack and slash game. Just because they've shown a tech demo for the cutting mechanic?

They could have the exact same metal gear type gameplay, except you kill people with a sword instead of a gun.

I think Rising could be just the refresh/spinoff the series needs after MGS4. Not sure if it'll deliver but what they've shown looked great IMO.
Well I have little excitement because like I said, chopping shit up in different angles for a whole game doesn't seem that engaging for me, and there might be more to it but so far it doesn't seem like it. Also I have no faith in anyone at KojiPro outside of kojima of himself and this really isn't his project, so I'm reserving any semblance of hype.

Although I think this game will have other elements I think its primary focus will be on the action mechanics, you know all those scenes in MGS4 where Raiden comes out of nowhere flips around like a ninja and chops shit up. I think they are trying to make a whole action game in that style. Could be good but I don't know.

EXGN

I predict that GAF will vote MGS: Rising best game of 2011 (or 2012) and then proceed to shit on it at any given opportunity every year after that.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm extremely hyped for RISING. Definitely one of my most anticipated games.

Sn4ke_911 said:
I'm extremely hyped for RISING. Definitely one of my most anticipated games.

It could easily go wrong in so many ways, but I still have faith that it's going to be amazing :)
I just need to see some proper gameplay first!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
It could easily go wrong in so many ways, but I still have faith that it's going to be amazing :)
I just need to see some proper gameplay first!

Sure but Mr. Kojima keeps an eye on this project. So im not too worried about it.

[Nintex] said:
I have a feeling they did a total reboot on MGS Rising and turned it into MGS5 or something.
yeahhhh no. That would mean Kojima told the other dude to fuck off. Lets face it nobody is touching MGS for a long time other than him.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I think people keep getting the wrong idea of what Rising is supposed to be all about.

There's a lenghty interview where the game's producer goes into great detail about what his objectives are. There's a lot more stealth, strategy, and moral consequence involved than the trailer might initially lead you to believe:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-13-metal-gear-solid-rising-interview
Eurogamer: Is the game mostly hack-and-slash?

Shigenobu Matsuyama: It will be pure action, with the sword katana action. RPG or build-up elements will not be in the game.

However, with MGS Rising, the key word is zan-datsu. "Zan" means to kick and cut and "datsu" means to take. We will have the stealth element as well. It's not the stealth you normally have played in MGS. It will be purely based on action. I call it the Hunting Stealth. You will be the hunter. You will hide because you don't want to be spotted by the enemy.

So you will hide at high speed and hunt down your opponent. It's not like waiting stealth. It will be high speed and acrobatic. When you punch, you're trying to absorb the energy or weapon or item. You're not just waiting, still. It's fast paced action stealth so you can hunt without being noticed.

Those are the two key elements in Rising.
Eurogamer: The reveal trailer was pretty brutal. Why did you make it so violent?

Shigenobu Matsuyama: One reason is impact was needed because it's a new title. But the thinking behind the violence is more complicated and well thought. First of all, there should be more freedom in a game, I thought. The freedom to do anything I thought was important.

In the game you don't have to play like the trailer. We do not recommend you play like the trailer. There are more enemies: mechanical enemies, and there are humans too. And the theme, zan-datsu battle, meaning to cut and to take, you cannot do that from human enemies. Hunting stealth can be done from the mechs and cyborgs that appear in the game. If you cut and slice human enemies you will have no reward at all. The game will not be designed so that you have to do so in order to clear it.

But the freedom is there. It's very interesting, because you could be so precise. You could cut just the weapon of the human enemies and make them not fight any more. If you make a mistake, you might cut their hand, and you'll feel like, oh, I really made a mistake. I'm not saying this will be a game for children. It's a game for adults. Therefore I didn't want to lie. If you make a mistake something will happen in order to make it real and make you feel it's real as well.

That kind of image from the trailer you saw I thought was needed. But again, that trailer is almost an exaggeration of what you could do. We're not going to persuade people to do that.
Eurogamer: You mentioned you have a philosophy for what makes a good game. What is it?

Shigenobu Matsuyama: One of the game philosophies I have is I want to recreate the feeling you get that, oh, I made a mistake. I've been doing this for over 10 years. A lot of people in the company - executives - don't like this style. For a gun-shooting game, you accidentally shoot a normal civilian. Nowadays it's normal, but in the past it was almost a taboo. I wanted to represent - not because I wanted to shoot civilians - but I wanted to make people be careful, get the feeling of, 'Oh, I made a mistake.'

I thought it was very important. But I also added a non-reward when you do that. When you shoot a civilian, your rank becomes lower from a police officer to a junior police officer. You're punished when you do that.

It's the same with Rising. I want to recreate a feeling that you made a mistake and you feel like you made a mistake, not to the extent that you're going to hate the game, but people will think, 'Okay, next time I will try to not make a mistake and I want a challenge.' That feeling is very important to a game, and I want to put that in Rising. Keeping the tension of that feeling is important as well.

So, in Rising, you might make a mistake. You might try to get just his weapon but you might cut his hand, and then you're surrounded more and you're in a more difficult position. Or, you're trying to do the zan-datsu, you're trying to cut the mechs and get the batteries out. But if you make a mistake, you can't get that item out.

I want to make people learn from their mistakes. That's one of the philosophies I have.
At least, that's the plan...

Hey guys check out this amazing chopping mechanic, it's so great. Looks at us goooo. Oh BTW don't use that shit a lot in the game, we don't recommend it. lol sounds like they didn't know what direction they wanted to go in.

Meh. I can't believe I used to be a die-hard fan of this series. It's just lost so much steam, especially with the release of MGS4. But I guess it's getting apparent that Kojima will never leave it so eh. Good for him and the fans...

Discotheque said:
Meh. I can't believe I used to be a die-hard fan of this series. It's just lost so much steam, especially with the release of MGS4. But I guess it's getting apparent that Kojima will never leave it so eh. Good for him and the fans...
Lost steam? Peace Walker was amazing. So excited for Kojima to bring some of those mechanics to a console version.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Lost steam? Peace Walker was amazing. So excited for Kojima to bring some of those mechanics to a console version.

I admittedly haven't played a portable MGS game. I'm talking about the console series. The story's over for me. I'll give Rising a rent maybe.

Discotheque said:
I admittedly haven't played a portable MGS game. I'm talking about the console series. The story's over for me. I'll give Rising a rent maybe.
Well to be fair Rising isn't part of the mainline series. But I'd give the next game a chance. Peace Walker OVERALL may have had a bit of a ridiculous story but it was small scale, more pesonal, great dialogue, etc...also the gameplay was pretty refrshing and well executed. Like the co-op a lot as well.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
-Pyromaniac- said:
Hey guys check out this amazing chopping mechanic, it's so great. Looks at us goooo. Oh BTW don't use that shit a lot in the game, we don't recommend it. lol sounds like they didn't know what direction they wanted to go in.
Nah, contextual slicing is just a hot new mechanic. I'd see why they'd choose to showcase that for the public first.

Yeah and that seems to have worked out great. They probably would have more people excited now if they showcased the actual game, then used the slicing as a bonus cool thing.

-Pyromaniac- said:

It sounds a lot like how normal MGS gameplay works in a lot of ways. They always give you a lot of ways to fight your way through areas, but you're not really "supposed" to use any of it.

Catalix

I'm sure the "actual game" wasn't even ready for prime time, or else they would've showed it. Probably just concepts and bits of code at that point. At least they showed something.

The Alchemist Penguin said:
It sounds a lot like how normal MGS gameplay works in a lot of ways. They always give you a lot of ways to fight your way through areas, but you're not really "supposed" to use any of it.
Yeah, how many people did Snake massacre Rambo-style in all those other MGS trailers? Tons. I don't see the issue people have with Rising, really.

Top Bottom