• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Access early limited-time game access is for 6 hours with the full game

nah it's a terrible deal if you don't play A LOT of EA games, if you just play EA titles from time to time when they come out with no particular interest in sports game, you're getting fucked

If i casually play EA games and spend more than 30 dollars a year on them, can wait for them to enter the vault, im instantly getting a better deal by buying access.

It was EA's call not to release a public demo of their flagship sports title.

FIFA is their flagship sports title, and it is getting a demo.

Madden is a distant, distant, DISTANT second to FIFA. And getting more distant every year in each way - sales, variety of modes, and expansiveness of experience.

Although at least Madden has online franchise. FIFA will never have it. :(

KissVibes

Banned
nah it's a terrible deal if you don't play A LOT of EA games, if you just play EA titles from time to time when they come out with no particular interest in sports game, you're getting fucked

How is one "getting fucked," exactly?

I feel bad for the people who took this to mean that the games would be permanently playable on their console.

EA Access are permanent says Peter Moore

And they aren't removing games from the Vault so what exactly are you saying here?

if you play a LOT of EA games (like if you're really into madden an FIFA), I guess it's an okay deal

other than that it's a terrible deal and a typical EA cash grab

I suppose that is a side of it I can understand. EA Publishing has a huge portfolio of games though, so I guess I can't really judge it completely until it matures.

Mass Effect, Mirrors Edge, Dragon Age and Star Wars: Battlefront come to mind...

Hmm, then the Access you get once pre-ordering must be that week they talked about. In that case, what seems to be the problem? I'd rather play 6 hours of Full-Fifa than play their standard 1 half match with preset teams over again.

you don't get any early access from pre ordering the game, you have to subscribe to EA Access for that (and don't need to pre order)

What the fuck ?

What do people want lol ? Do you really think EA will let people play these games so much that you don't even need to buy them ? 6 hours is more than reasonable.

Also, the vault is the selling feature here. Not discounts, timed demos...those are just icing on the cake. If you don't see the value of getting 3 retail games and one arcade game for 30$ a year, with more additions coming to the vault in time, then I guess this isn't for you.

I see the value and i'm happy to be offered this exclusive Xbox experience.

Cheech

full game access I wonder if the save stuff transfers to the full game, it isn't that bad but it's always interesting to see the massive reaction from the first page, lol.

Of course it does. You already have the full game, you just need to buy a key to unlock it after the 6 hours is up.

Avari

How is it console wars? Because I stated I was happy Sony did not allow EA to bamboozle their customers?

This statement itself pretty much exemplifies why people felt the post was console wars oriented. You have a very obvious bias when it comes to EA access - "bamboozle their customers".

Hmm, then the Access you get once pre-ordering must be that week they talked about. In that case, what seems to be the problem? I'd rather play 6 hours of Full-Fifa than play their standard 1 half match with preset teams over again.
Yeah I don't get what people are complaining about. This seems fine, and there are a lot of people who are saying this was the plan from day one according to EA's website. People are likely just complaining because it's EA or maybe because the OP ended his post with "now I see why Sony didn't allow this" which is somewhat of a call to arms for people caught up in the console wars.

imBask

Banned
I just don't see how you're getting fucked. You're not forced to buy it. You see what kind of games you get. Either you like them or you don't like them and then decide accordingly. What's shady about that?

Why would someone buy ea access if he doesn't want to play madden and fifa?

"because it's only 30$ and I really liked the sims 3!" is what's kinda shady, that's who they're aiming for

anyway I don't really care I won't subscribe and I don't know why i'm even complaining about this dumb thing lol

Kinyou

Only EA could monetise the demo.
I'm actually impressed.
It's a trial. Meaning you have access to all content. Sony has been offering this through ps+ for a while now.

"because it's only 30$ and I really liked the sims 3!" is what's kinda shady, that's who they're aiming for

anyway I don't really care I won't subscribe and I don't know why i'm even complaining about this dumb thing lol
I'm not sure how they're doing that?

full game access I wonder if the save stuff transfers to the full game, it isn't that bad but it's always interesting to see the massive reaction from the first page, lol.

The games load on your harddrive like any other game. So your save is local and/or in the cloud, regardless.

So you can buy EA access, play the game, cancell EA access, buy the game, and pick up where you left off.

TheQuake

Banned
What the fuck ?

What do people want lol ? Do you really think EA will let people play these games so much that you don't even need to buy them ? 6 hours is more than reasonable.

Also, the vault is the selling feature here. Not discounts, timed demos...those are just icing on the cake. If you don't see the value of getting 3 retail games and one arcade game for 30$ a year, with more additions coming to the vault in time, then I guess this isn't for you.

I see the value and i'm happy to be offered this exclusive Xbox experience.

I feel there is a little fanboyism running in this thread. Others trying to make something out of nothing, trying to shit on the program. I would bet good money that the people complaining are not even subscribed to the program or possibly don't have an XB1 at all.

KaYotiX

Banned
I'm not feeling the outrage here.

If you want the game, buy it.

Early access isn't ownership and six hours is more than enough time to decide if you want the game or not.

Exactly, for me I work alot and my wife and son tie up the TV my xbox One is on so 6 hours to play the full game is more than enough.

Not sure how ppl thought they would get 5 full days with the game....

EA Access subscriber here, and I can understand the complaints but 6 hours is more than enough to see if you want to buy the game or not. And that's what EA advertised.

It's a trial. Meaning you have access to all content. Sony has been offering this through ps+ for a while now.

And only for an hour after you've subscribed to PS Plus.

People are being given six hours to try out the full version of a game before it even releases and people are outraged.

I understand why you might not be happy with this, but I don't understand the second part.

Sony gives only 1hr early access to PS+ early access, no?
That's 1/6th of the time that you're complaining about here.

The sad thing is that you won't even reply, because you're just driveby fanboy trolling.

You also get all the games from the Vault...
The few days early access demos are like the least significant perk of the subscription.

I get that, but currently the £48 asking price a year isn't really that much a saving. You may save £12-15 in the UK compared to buying the same games used, and you have to keep subscribing for access. If you add the price of Gold, you are actually losing out (regardless of this being is a cost most are paying anyway)

Now if the Vault grows to offer more and more titles, without removing older ones we have a argument, but currently at launch, its not a big saving.

Noobcraft

6 hours of gameplay on a full retail title up to 1 week before release seems totally reasonable to me. I'm subscribed to ea access for a year ($30) and so far it's been a solid value. The only thing I want to see is more games in the vault going forward, and because I'm not interested in Madden 15 I probably won't even download the trial.

For people who arent getting it.

Vault games=permanent access if you are a subscriber.

These games are added after a period of release. Currently, its madden, fifa, peggle, and battlefield. Older games presumably will keep getting added.

new releases = game by game basis

You play them early, each game's early features will be different. For this case, its 6 hours of madden. You always get 10% off new titles.

kulapik

Wow, people shit on EA for everything, be thankful that they are 6 hours. Plus, people expected a wee of full game? Yeah, that totally wouldn't make them go broke.

jesu

It's not as thought this was even hidden away in the small print. it's right there on EA's Access page under Members Benefits

c8fd4fc11081a387946c207f47274582.png

http://www.ea.com/eaaccess/

Toki767

So is it 6 hours as long as you have EA Access or is it 6 hours as long as you have EA Access and you buy the game?

If it's the former, that's fine. If it's the latter, lol EA.

So is it 6 hours as long as you have EA Access or is it 6 hours as long as you have EA Access and you buy the game?

It's the former

I'm wondering, do you lose access once the game is released even if you haven't used all the allotted time ?

Dabanton

I feel bad for the people who took this to mean that the games would be permanently playable on their console.

EA Access are permanent says Peter Moore

Haha what?

This thread is amazing. Maybe one day Sony will stop 'looking out' for it's users 'best interests' as consumers and allow this on the system, then people can actually make their own minds up and stop towing the party line and pretending to hate EA Access with every fibre of their being just because it's not on the PS4.

Its madden.

youll boot it up. look at it. say "yup thats madden" and then have 5 hours and 45 mins of play time left to decide if you want it or not. Or you can play last years madden in the vault for free.

Who plays madden for 30 hours and then says "OK YEAH MAYBE I WILL BUY THIS ONE"

no you don't need to buy the game, the whole point is EA hoping you like the game and will then buy it

eznark

Banned
Exactly, for me I work alot and my wife and son tie up the TV my xbox One is on so 6 hours to play the full game is more than enough.

Not sure how ppl thought they would get 5 full days with the game....

Because it's what EA has been doing with their sports titles for like 3 years?

jesu

I get that, but currently the £48 asking price a year isn't really that much a saving. You may save £12 in the UK compared to buying the same games used, and you have to keep subscribing for access. If you add the price of Gold, you are actually losing out (regardless of this being is a cost most are paying anyway)

Now if the Vault grows to offer more and more titles, without removing older ones we have a argument, but currently at launch, its not a big saving.

It's £20 a year not £48.

ObiDin

I feel like the question that needs to be asked is, if you reach your six hours will you have the option to purchase and keep playing right then or do you have to wait for release date?

TheQuake

Banned

If you are an EA access member, you will be able to play the game early before release for 6 hours no matter if you pre ordered the game or not. Once it releases the game it is yours and you can play for as long as you like. People who didn't buy the game, still have to buy the game to continue to play.

EA last gen service gave you access for 72 hours. I think people thought they would be able to play for 5 days until release. A typical madden game last about 45 minutes. I bet most people thought they would get the same 72 hour deal.

Cheech

The Vault and the early access to new games are completely separate features. It seems like people are mixing up the two for some reason.

Yeah, they are going to have to work on their advertising I think when they start rolling it out to the masses.

The hilarious thing about the "big bad EA" bitching is it's not the consumers that are getting fucked. At all. It is, objectively speaking, an amazing value given the retail price of the vault games. If you think EA Access is a shitty program, you have absolutely no understanding of how businesses work; or, you have an axe to grind with Microsoft or EA, which is pathetic.

Somebody is getting fucked with EA Access, all right, and that somebody is Gamestop. I think it's pretty clear this is the "plan B" back from when Microsoft wanted to lock all disc based games down via forced internet connections and that kind of shit.

It's a decent compromise program, because it favors the consumers over retailers. Once this rolls out nationwide, I can see the value of used EA games at Gamestop plummeting, which is probably the idea.

ttech10

Can someone explain why this is surprising? They never said you'd get the game for a full week/five days before release. They said starting 5 days before release you will have at least two hours to try the game then save your progress. I thought it was pretty clear from the beginning it would be timed. I'm looking at Major Nelson's blog post and the Kotaku story which broke the news of EA Access and both say it's for a couple hours. Even the EA Access page on EA's website says Early Access is for a limited time.

Hope Microsoft has fun dealing with all the angry customers who can't read or understand what they're spending their money on (since EA's terms forces Microsoft to deal with customer support for the service).

Six hours actually sounds pretty decent. That's a couple full games or some decent hands-on time for whatever modes they have. I'd be more upset about them forcing users to subscribe to EA Access for any sort of demo for the game.

Top Bottom