• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Access early limited-time game access is for 6 hours with the full game

Zyae

What the fuck ?

What do people want lol ? Do you really think EA will let people play these games so much that you don't even need to buy them ? 6 hours is more than reasonable.

Also, the vault is the selling feature here. Not discounts, timed demos...those are just icing on the cake. If you don't see the value of getting 3 retail games and one arcade game for 30$ a year, with more additions coming to the vault in time, then I guess this isn't for you.

I see the value and i'm happy to be offered this exclusive Xbox experience.

this is the best reply in this thread

Wait, people are buying EA Access for the early access? I bought it for the "free" games. The early access for me is nothing more than a bonus.

A perfect example of player choice. Give the people what they want.
OMG sony is taking away my choice as a player. Aren't you happy that sony did not screw over their fanbase even if it was for selfish reasons?

This is a perfect example of why gamers are not smart as they think they are. And that sometime it is ok, not to give into the mob because usually the mob does not have an answer and lack any long term or bigger picture thinking.

TheQuake

Banned
Yeah, they are going to have to work on their advertising I think when they start rolling it out to the masses.

The hilarious thing about the "big bad EA" bitching is it's not the consumers that are getting fucked. At all. It is, objectively speaking, an amazing value given the retail price of the vault games. If you think EA Access is a shitty program, you have absolutely no understanding of how businesses work; or, you have an axe to grind with Microsoft or EA, which is pathetic.

Somebody is getting fucked with EA Access, all right, and that somebody is Gamestop. I think it's pretty clear this is the "plan B" back from when Microsoft wanted to lock all disc based games down via forced internet connections and that kind of shit.

It's a decent compromise program, because it favors the consumers over retailers. Once this rolls out nationwide, I can see the value of used EA games at Gamestop plummeting, which is probably the idea.

I felt that the advertising was not hard to follow. I knew that basic features and rules the first day it was announced. I even enrolled into the program as a preview member and knew what was up.

mjc

Its madden.

youll boot it up. look at it. say "yup thats madden" and then have 5 hours and 45 mins of play time left to decide if you want it or not. Or you can play last years madden in the vault for free.

Who plays madden for 30 hours and then says "OK YEAH MAYBE I WILL BUY THIS ONE"

Dude I dunno, there are lots of tiny nuances to gameplay that I have to explore in this new version.

EA last gen service gave you access for 72 hours. I think people thought they would be able to play for 5 days until release. A typical madden game last about 45 minutes. I bet most people thought they would get the same 72 hour deal.

And I feel bad for those who thought that but EA never indicated that trial times would be over 24 hrs or comparable to Season Ticket, right?

Alx

I think the only question is if you can continue playing the game right away after you bought it or if you have to wait those 5 days to the release date.

I don't think you would be able to play the full game without restriction, even if you buy it. That would be breaking street date, and I suppose retailers would complain. So you can't legally own the game before its official release date.
Only a supposition though, but it seems logical.

p3tran

Banned
guys, maybe some of you can clarify for me this part:

is it A DEMO I get to play, or the full game for six hours?

I am a member, and while playing the full game early for a ..full gaming session lets say, then having the option to buy and continue -this I find very good,
I find not so good if I get to play a demo and not the full, final game.

so, anybody can clarify?

robo

Apart from the actual time limits, wasnt this pretty much all ready known?

You sub to ea access, you get to play the game 5 days early for a set amount of time.

I think each game will have different limits depending on genre.

Once you hit the time limit, thats it, even if its on day one of your 5 days?

They were never going to allow you to play the whole game for 5 days, anyone thinking that didnt read the press details properly.

KaYotiX

Banned
Because it's what EA has been doing with their sports titles for like 3 years?

Yeah with season ticket, this was a whole new thing. People just need to read and not skim.

I liked the season ticket actually but if I can now get free games from EA for $30 a year and full game trials for 6 hours or more I'll take it.

Niven

I see so many people in here talking about how people who have got it are going to be pissed off yet I can't see many people who have it who are unhappy?

This is not a paid demo, as demos are usually a vertical slice of the game. This is access to the full copy of the game for 6 hours before the game is out.

If people cant tell the difference, i dont know what to say.

Alx

Full game. And all your progress/achievements will be available once the game officially releases.

I am a member, and while playing the full game early for a ..full gaming session lets say, then having the option to buy and continue -this I find very good,

so, anybody can clarify?

okay.

So if its a vault game, you have full access to the game. Play it as much as you want. Vault games seem to be games that have been released for awhile. Right now, you can play battlefield, madden, fifa, and peggle, for as long as you want, since they are in the vault. Presumably, EA keeps adding their library to the vault, and your collection of free, play as long as you want games, grows.

For NEW RELEASES: like madden. Play for 6 hours with the full game. Then you cant buy it at 10% off. the amount of the game unlocked early and the time you can play it are supposed to be different game to game. It is the FULL GAME. It downloads just like you bought it from the store. Your saves and everything will be there when the 6 hours ends,

This is not a paid demo, as demos are usually a vertical slice of the game. This is access to the full copy of the game for 6 hours before the game is out.

If people cant tell the difference, i dont know what to say.

The difference is that you could play the demo for all the time you wanted, so yeah is even worst than a demo.

Cheech

I felt that the advertising was not hard to follow. I knew that basic features and rules the first day it was announced. I even enrolled into the program as a preview member and knew what was up.

Just read some of the replies in this thread. Assuming they're not just troll posts, clearly there's a lot of misunderstanding as to what EA Access is and what you get. And these are people who read and post daily to a gaming forum.

The masses are going to be confused as hell unless EA lays it out very simply for them. They almost need to just focus on the vault games in their advertising, and let consumers discover the side benefits on their own through the interface.

When you buy a game via EA Access through Xbox One is it with your CC or can you use Microsoft Spacebucks? The service required a CC to buy it...so I'm worried that this is EA's "ghetto" Origin within Xbox Live. I.E. you have to use their money...no more Microsoft money.

You can use the money in your Xbox wallet to buy EA games with the EA Access discount applied.

Megatron

It's weird to see all the Gaffers confusing the early access games with the vault games. We always knew the difference between the two. Honestly, this is a pretty incredible deal. I get to play the first 6 hours of Dragon Age 5 days before it releases? Holy shit. Assuming my game save will carry over to the physical edition, that may make it really hard for me to not just go with the XB1 version, when I planned to get the PS4 version, which is probably the point.

TheQuake

Banned
Apart from the actual time limits, wasnt this pretty much all ready known?

You sub to ea access, you get to play the game 5 days early for a set amount of time.

I think each game will have different limits depending on genre.

Once you hit the time limit, thats it, even if its on day one of your 5 days?

They were never going to allow you to play the whole game for 5 days, anyone thinking that didnt read the press details properly.

Exactly, no one read what the program entailed. Most people were bitching after Sony didn't think it was a good value. Which I still think that was a bad call. Now I think this just a thread for EA hate, or people felt they were getting screwed even though some probably aren't in the program and just wanted to jump on the bandwagon of rage. From the posts I've seen here, people that are actual members don't know what the fuss is about.

robo

so, anybody can clarify?

You play as much of the full game as you can get through in the allotted time limit, once that is reached you then have to buy the full game digitally to the 10% off and carry over your save. If I read it correctly, if you play the full time on day 1, day 2-5 you can't re play the game.

New games that is, the vault games I think are yours to play as much as you want.

p3tran

Banned
Full game. And all your progress/achievements will be available once the game officially releases.

okay.

For NEW RELEASES: like madden. Play for 6 hours with the full game. Then you cant buy it at 10% off. the amount of the game unlocked early and the time you can play it are supposed to be different game to game. It is the FULL GAME. It downloads just like you bought it from the store. Your saves and everything will be there when the 6 hours ends,

ok, this is a fantastic service for me and the main reason I subbed. I pretty much have everything ea could add to the vault before my yearly sub ceases.

now OBVIOUSLY, people that say <<monetizing demos blah blah>> should do their basic investigation before writing shit down. you guys got me worried for a minute there..

jesu

It's weird to see all the Gaffers confusing the early access games with the vault games. We always knew the difference between the two. Honestly, this is a pretty incredible deal. I get to play the first 6 hours of Dragon Age 5 days before it releases? Holy shit. Assuming my game save will carry over to the physical edition, that may make it really hard for me to not just go with the XB1 version, when I planned to get the PS4 version, which is probably the point.

There is no guarantee you will be able to play DA5 for 6 hours.
It's decided on a game to game basis.

ok, this is a fantastic service for me and the main reason I subbed.

now OBVIOUSLY, people that say <<monetizing demos blah blah>> should do their basic investigation before writing shit down. you guys got me worried for a while there..

Youll download the game like any other game from the store too. So its not like when you click madden it has to load up EA access and download a bunch of shit or anything. Its the normal game. Vault or not.

So even if you go to a friends house, log in with your GT, download the game, your saves will be downloaded and you can play it like you would at home.

Its much more simple than people are making it seem.

Do you have access to the full game on a demo?

Can your save carry over to the full game on most demos?

I rather play indefinetly on a limited demo than some kind of half assed rental. Specially on sports games.

Also demos are free, so that's another plus (not anymore with EA...)

Leyasu

Banned
I'm not feeling the outrage here.

If you want the game, buy it.

Early access isn't ownership and six hours is more than enough time to decide if you want the game or not.

Lol so true.. If I want I will buy, if not I won't..

I have already downloaded Fifa and bf4. Traded in my disc copy of bf4, and I will no doubt get NHL, dragon age and one or two other games before my year expires. I will definitely be getting my monies worth.

I can definitely see why people are outraged, and why Sony did well to refuse......

EA early access only 6hrs of gameplay for upcoming Madden 15. Now I see why Sony didn't allow this.

And yet their own trials are only 60 minutes long and only include select games never at release.

Just to be cleared I'm talking about the 60 minute trials you have to be a PS+ member to access.

The title of this thread is VERY MISLEADING as not every game will have the standard 6 hour limit. As the EA Access Program has stated from Day one, the length of these trials will vary depending on what type of game they are. It's not EA that's misleading it's NEOGAF actually.

Kinyou

I think it's just hard for people to believe that EA released something that isn't a total rip off

I don't think you would be able to play the full game without restriction, even if you buy it. That would be breaking street date, and I suppose retailers would complain. So you can't legally own the game before its official release date.
Only a supposition though, but it seems logical.
That's what they're promising though with the EA season ticket. You get to play these games 3 days before they hit retail

TheQuake

Banned
Just read some of the replies in this thread. Assuming they're not just troll posts, clearly there's a lot of misunderstanding as to what EA Access is and what you get. And these are people who read and post daily to a gaming forum.

The masses are going to be confused as hell unless EA lays it out very simply for them. They almost need to just focus on the vault games in their advertising, and let consumers discover the side benefits on their own through the interface.

This is not hard to follow. Taken from the EA access page. Please don't tell me that the type of people who post here cannot follow this.

6JhOTdW.png

adelante

Lol I spend much more than that on a new FIFA demo, Each year it comes out, I really find it hard to go back to playing the previous title, so I just keep playing the demo until the new game is released.

This, clearly isn't gonna happen if they give FIFA the same limited-time treatment. :/

I rather play indefinetly on a limited demo than some kind of half assed rental. Specially on sports games.

Your Speaking for yourself... I generally only play online so those demos are only good to get an idea of what improvements they made with the game and don't offer much beyond that.

Also in the case of NHL and Fifa demos are also available for you to play indefinitely.

This Early access stuff does no one who wants to try the game any good wants the game is released anyways.

Top Bottom