• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Frostbite Go, the mobile version (iOS/Android) of Frostbite

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
EA said:
Runtime in Frostbite supports a highly scalable model in order to appeal to the diverse array of platforms available on today’s market. Efficiency in both our runtime memory and runtime performance are both key factors to enabling code and data systems to deploy content to diverse targets from XBOX360 and PlayStation 4 to iOS and Android.

This comment is so conflicting with the previous comment about the Wii U not being able to run Frostbite. If the engine is that scalable then it's obvious it'd work out for them on the Wii U. I mean I wish they'd just say the Wii U isn't a viable platform for them right now instead of saying it's a technical issue.

In any case, I don't really play games on mobile devices but having those type of engines working on mobile devices is pretty impressive.

8bits

Banned
This comment is so conflicting with the previous comment about the Wii U not being able to run Frostbite. If the engine is that scalable then it's obvious it'd work out for them on the Wii U. I mean I wish they'd just say the Wii U isn't a viable platform for them right now instead of saying it's a technical issue.

In any case, I don't really play games on mobile devices but having those type of engines working on mobile devices is pretty impressive.

Exactly. Why don't they just say it's a money issue? Clearly, they can put FB3 on the Wii U if they wanted but the Wii U doesn't have a 50 million user install base. Fortunately there are a lot more PS4 and nextbox consoles out.

Lets say EA comes out and says it's not a technical issue, it's a profitability issue. Then what? What does that change?

oti

Banned
Why Wii U doesn't get Frostbite: Business Reasons.
Why iOS does get (some form of) Frostbite: Business Reasons.

Every developer/publisher stating something different gets a star for creativity.

Except that if they tested FB2 on Wii U, it probably happened prior to launch.

Set this straight: Someone (or a collective) decided NOT to pursue further development on the Wii U until X, if ever. It really is that simple. It sucks and they're being dodgy about it, but there it is. If the install base was bigger, if it was more powerful, if, if, if... They decided not to do it for now. Will that change? Only time will tell.

EDIT: I should add that there was a rumor a while ago that EA left it up to individual dev teams, which is why we have NFS:MWU. Is that true? Is there more to it? Time will tell.

kaf

Ghost at 80 people is kind of large to be doing mobile games.

that's around the team size for Modern Combat - but I'm sure a number of engineers are dedicated to the mobile version of the engine since it has to run on opengl.

Chronos24

It all has to do with partnership. If you're partnership is good they'll make stuff work on your hardware especially if its able to. If not, then they'll trash and snub you at every corner. If you're not with then you're against and you're a competitor.

So there's a chance now Wii U will get Frostbite

classy.gif

DaBoss

I guess they may as well just say the Wii U wouldn't be profitable to get Frostbite running on it. Wii U is all but outright confirmed to be Dreamcast'd :lol

What makes you say that? EA seem to be doing pretty well from the mobile space.

No doubt it will be profitable, but EA definitely would not be happy with their results on the mobile space. The amount of games they've created and the return on investment gives an average is pretty poor compared to other devs/pubs.

diaspora

It's obviously a time and money thing. Can't really expect much support when Wii U skus are selling ~10k.

People would be less pissy if DICE/EA had just said they didn't want to invest in porting the engine rather than bullshitting some nonsense about performance.

katkombat

Banned
So there's a chance now Wii U will get Frostbite

I must resist from doing a joke about Wii U

I wonder how long it will be until we get people talking about the Wii U....

Oh wait, nevermind.

Interested to see what happens with this.

People have cell-phones. They don't have Wii Us. *shrug*

You guys...

Hahaha ice cold. You guys now know where that Mirror's Edge sequel is coming. ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BlazinAm

I think it is hard to market a Wii U game that looks closer to mobile devices than ps4/ next xbox. Using a sample of users on neogaf who seem to believe that wii U should hit some level of visual performance between say ps3 and ps4 and if they look worse/equal to current gen I don't think people would accept that.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Can't expect a console to sell when everyone cans software support, works both ways.

It does work both ways so what can you say when a developer like Avalanche Studios talks about how hard it is for them to get in contact with Nintendo? Night and day difference compared to how Sony is courting partners for PS4 and I'm sure MS is doing the same. Combine that with system and software sales that are completely in the gutter and yeah, business is business.

Top Bottom