• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Subscription Service for Xbox One ($5/month or $30/year, get game vault)

Alx

Sweet - was hoping they`d add this.

Honestly, if you don`t already own these games getting to play them all for a year for $30 is incredible value. I just dont get all the nay-saying

Yes with BF4, Peggle2, NFS and a bit of Fifa, I already consider it worth my yearly subscription, especially since buying those games digital would have costed me a lot (and I wouldn't have played them more than a year anyway). It's a great way to taste a bit of everything for games that you wouldn't have bought full price.

Yes with BF4, Peggle2, NFS and a bit of Fifa, I already consider it worth my yearly subscription, especially since buying those games digital would have costed me a lot. It's a great way to taste a bit of everything for games that you wouldn't have bought full price.

Exactly, and I'll re-evaluate the content in the vault after a year. For now I'm very happy. Plus I had a surprising amount of fun with the 6 hours of Madden I got. Looking forward to playing NHL this week

I trust EA! They are the best company in America!

Wait....

Honestly, I don't like this "Rent Games" but not "own" games. Guess I'm too old skool.

Synth

I trust EA! They are the best company in America!

Wait....

Honestly, I don't like this "Rent Games" but not "own" games. Guess I'm too old skool.

Why do people always have to try and make this about trust? Do you have to trust Netflix or Spotify to use their shit too?

Why do people always have to try and make this about trust? Do you have to trust Netflix or Spotify to use their shit too?

I like to own my games. I don't trust EA not to take them away. Simple.

All of you happily buying into these games as services are going to be really annoyed when they go away. It's already happened on PS4, right?

It's why I love GOG for PC games. I buy them, dl them, save them and they are mine forever. They won't disappear like "services."

All of you happily buying into these games as services are going to be really annoyed when they go away. It's already happened on PS4, right?

It's why I love GOG for PC games. I buy them, dl them, save them and they are mine forever. They won't disappear like "services."

Good for you. However the option to buy games isn't going away, so I don't understand your point.

Alx

All of you happily buying into these games as services are going to be really annoyed when they go away.

It's quite plainly explained that you won't own them forever, since you can only play them as long as you subscribe (unless you plan to subscribe for your whole life, but that doesn't sound reasonable). Of course you don't own those games, if you want to own games you can still buy them the usual way (although that's still not really ownership, but that's another debate).
The subscription-based access is for people who just want to play games for a while and then toss them away.

Gents, I get your points and I hope you get mine. As long as you know what you're paying for, go for it.

As for me, I will protect my lawn!

My one month subscription to EA Access ended yesterday, and overall I'm pleased with my experience with the service. I played and beat BF4's campaign, and well as all the levels in Peggle 2. I also spent about 4 hours in BF4 multiplayer (decided it wasn't for me). I feel the entertainment I received was well worth $5.

Now, with the announcement of NFS: Rivals being added to the vault, I intend to resubscribe. Though, now I'm torn between just going for another month, or doing the whole year for $30. Looking at EA's titles on Xbox One, there aren't many other older titles that could be added to the valut that I'd be eager to play, so I may just do another month.

It's a pretty good service, and a great option for gamers, especially those who have gone all digital (like myself).

xblarcade

What if EA turns the servers off one day and says "Sorry, it didn't work out for us." ?

I guess that's where "trust" comes in.

If they turn off the servers before my yearly subscription runs out? That would be a legal issue since they have accepted payments.

If they announce that they are no longer taking yearly payments and they are closing off the service in a years time?

Would suck, but to me, I would have definitely already gotten my money's worth.

SMattera

What are your thoughts on GameFly? Renting video games from Blockbuster when it was still in business? Borrowing games from a friend?

Synth

What are your thoughts on GameFly? Renting video games from Blockbuster when it was still in business? Borrowing games from a friend?

Or having a gym subscription? Can you really trust them? What if they're not still around when you're 85? :)

Hell, can they even trust YOU? What if YOU stop subscribing? This trust shit is complicated!

Waveset

The video service comparisons don't really work for me, I'll watch a film in one sitting. With a game, I don't know how long it will take me to finish it, could be a week or in the case of Skyrim, I might get sick of it and pick it up again in a years time.

Synth

The video service comparisons don't really work for me, I'll watch a film in one sitting. With a game, I don't know how long it will take me to finish it, could be a week or in the case of Skyrim, I might get sick of it and pick it up again in a years time.

Ok then. How about a TV show?

Synth

If I've abandoned a series for a year, I'm not going back to it.

I'd probably say the same for games in general. With that said though, I have abandoned a TV show for over a year and then returned to it. The important thing is the comparison still works. You don't finish a TV show in one sitting, and often have no idea how long it'll take for it to end.

Hell plenty of shows actually run for multiple years, so you can't finish it quicker than that even if you want to. It doesn't prevent a subscription service from offering them.

It's why I love GOG for PC games. I buy them, dl them, save them and they are mine forever.

So if you don't like STEAM, you're not going to like services like PS+ and EA Access. So, it's not this service you don't like, it's all of it. Great. Let's wind back to 2003 and stay there forever, right?

Old man yelling at cloud syndrome. (Cloud, cuz that's where the games are... ba dum dum. Thank you I'm here all week, tip your waiter.)

Waveset

I'd probably say the same for games in general. With that said though, I have abandoned a TV show for over a year and then returned to it. The important thing is the comparison still works. You don't finish a TV show in one sitting, and often have no idea how long it'll take for it to end.

Hell plenty of shows actually run for multiple years, so you can't finish it quicker than that even if you want to. It doesn't prevent a subscription service from offering them.
To be honest my idea of a video subscription service is something like Netflix where you're getting complete seasons, I don't subscribe to cable so hadn't been considering that angle.

Synth

To be honest my idea of a video subscription service is something like Netflix where you're getting complete seasons, I don't subscribe to cable so hadn't been considering that angle.

Even those types of services are offering shows that are ongoing. Like Amazon Instant having stuff like Extant that's running currently (didn't grab me... may try it again next year, lol).

Love that NFS is coming into the vault. It makes my year subscription even more worth it. I didnt buy BF4 or FIFA 14 and I didn't buy NFS. I'm looking forward to the 4th to try out NHL. For me it's well worth it.

Thanks EA!
I got my sub mostly for the discounts and early access, but NFS looks really interesting.
I payed 25€ and got BF4 for free, 7€ discount on Madden 15 + dat early access.
already payed off after 1,5 month.
I probably would have willingly payed that money for FIFA early access alone

flkraven

I get my XB1 at the end of October, so I am definitely going to have early access by Christmas. $30 is way too good a deal.

SMattera

Can you guys imagine what TV would be like if there was no cable or VOD or anything? If the only way to watch a TV show was to buy the entire season on DVD once a year? Do you think TV would be nearly as popular? Would it attract as many viewers? Probably not, right?

Now consider that's what we've been doing with video games for the last 30 years.

The move towards gaming-as-a-service is not going to be restrictive. It could be the best thing to ever happen to the industry.

Can you guys imagine what TV would be like if there was no cable or VOD or anything? If the only way to watch a TV show was to buy the entire season on DVD once a year? Do you think TV would be nearly as popular? Would it attract as many viewers? Probably not, right?

Now consider that's what we've been doing with video games for the last 30 years.

The move towards gaming-as-a-service is not going to be restrictive. It could be the best thing to ever happen to the industry.

I like this guy.

So if you don't like STEAM, you're not going to like services like PS+ and EA Access. So, it's not this service you don't like, it's all of it. Great. Let's wind back to 2003 and stay there forever, right?

Old man yelling at cloud syndrome. (Cloud, cuz that's where the games are... ba dum dum. Thank you I'm here all week, tip your waiter.)

That's right. You can keep your newfangled clowd!

Antti

Ok, so how the FUCK do I cancel this shit? I tried doing it through both the One and Microsoft's site, but MS's site tells me that "there was a problem cancelling your automatic renewal."

It has been made intentionally hard.

Ok, so how the FUCK do I cancel this shit? I tried doing it through both the One and Microsoft's site, but MS's site tells me that "there was a problem cancelling your automatic renewal."

It has been made intentionally hard.

I had no problem canceling the auto renew at billing.microsoft.com. Maybe something is weird with your account. Just call MS customer service and get it sorted out if you're having issues.

Antti

Ok, so I assume it had something to do with the region of my Xbox One differing from that of my account. I bought my Xbone from Germany before it came out in Finland, and had it registered as a GB console. I switched my console's region to Finland yesterday, and was able to cancel the subscription today. :)

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I completely forgot this existed. Definitely subscribing once I get my X1. BF4 will be a good compliment to the MCC and Im sure Ill enjoy the early access stuff.

Top Bottom