• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA DICE Environment Artist Recreates Bloodborne’s Environment In Unreal Engine 4

You know what? I'll accept removing all that if you can make up for it with something equally FromSoft unintentionally good. Fix the atmosphere that's lost in the touched up images and I'm willing to take the new version.

Boy people really are gonna keep doubling down on the whole "it's missing that From Software touch" without articulating anything that makes sense. Vague posting does not make you look like you know what you're talking about.

Boy I'd love to see a guy compliment some creators about how their best work comes from something "unintentional" which makes less and less sense the more they catch up with other people graphically. I guess if they don't have CA and use pretty much standard graphical stuff for Bloodborne 2 they've sold out?

Utter nonsense.

Edit-:
Well, considering you're just a joe on the Internet I'm sure that just breaks BBs art director's heart.

Iq isn't everything when it comes to art direction. It's like turning the grain and fog off in silent hill because you want to get a look at those far off sign post textures.

That fog is not some kind of unnecessary visual add on you could easily enable or disable. It's part of the actual level design. You're being obtuse as hell. You might as well argue that I think the game should be set totally in the day time so I can see things more easily even though that's clearly not the argument anyone is making.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Seriously have to consider whether people would be defending CA to the death if it was just an optional thing like in other games. Is Dying Light's "soul" also lost when the CA is removed or is BB just special?

Wow, this looks even more impressive. Nails the Iosefka's Clinic / Lecture Building look.
Too little CA, it's lacking the soul of the game. Which is solely dependent upon CA apparently.

kanuuna

Sebastien Schulz of Crytek also made some Bloodborne inspired environmental art (in CryEngine).
bloodborne1cpddc.png

bloodborne2ubd1k.png

Wow, this looks even more impressive. Nails the Iosefka's Clinic / Lecture Building look.

Servbot24

Banned
As good as it looks it's missing some character from the original. Hard to place exactly, just feels a bit dead by comparison.

That said the tech (which is the point of this ) is awesome.

EDIT: ok the CryEngine shots are way better. Beautiful!

tuxfool

Banned
Boy I'd love to see a guy compliment some creators about how their best work comes from something "unintentional" which makes less and less sense the more they catch up with other people graphically. I guess if they don't have CA and use pretty much standard graphical stuff for Bloodborne 2 they've sold out?

Utter nonsense.

FromSoft are the Jackson Pollock of videogames.

tuxfool

Banned
I don't like CA, too. Game soul or not, it look ugly and makes the game just blurry.

Chromatic Aberration doesn't actually make things blurry. It seperates out the colour channels and in many ways accentuate artifacts like aliasing, depending on the strength of the effect.

ExVicis

Boy people really are gonna keep doubling down on the whole "it's missing that From Software touch" without articulating anything that makes sense. Vague posting does not make you look like you know what you're talking about..

Vague nothing, I legitimately told you why it adds to the game but you just refused to accept it. You're just being silly now.

Too little CA, it's lacking the soul of the game. Which is solely dependent upon CA apparently.
When you make another thread about Bloodborne art make sure this time it removes the Blood too. Make sure to ruin every aspect of the game. in doing so.

kpaadet

Because he was able to emulate the look of a game using a 3rd party engine using seemingly only using the game as reference and by himself as well. Even not being an artist in anyway shape or form or not knowing jack shit about how things like this are done you should be able to appreciate the artistry and effort that goes into making scenes like this.

These images aren't touched up as shown by the video in the OP. That's what the scene looks like in UE4.
I'm not saying it isn't impressive in itself, being able to recreate someone else's work in another engine is technically impressive not artistic impressive tbh. The art was already created he "just" "ported" it over to UE4.

tuxfool

Banned
I'm not saying it isn't impressive in itself, being able to recreate someone else's work in another engine is technically impressive not artistic impressive tbh. The art was already created he "just" "ported" it over to UE4.

You'll find that most professionally employed artists are actually "porting" over looks from other places.

Crossing Eden

Uh. I was WTFing at you calling the doll a "sex doll"...
maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Considering who the doll is based on I think this one is pretty obvious.

I'm supremely curious about how you specifically think that this was made. Like as in, the actual process. Because this whole "not artistically impressive" thing is absolutely grating.

ExVicis

You'll find that most professionally employed artists are actually "porting" over looks from other places.
What engine does a decent job of rendering reality?

Resorting to straw men arguments now?
Are you?

The game's CA adds to the dream-like effect and unreality of the game, I'm sorry to tell you this. You can disagree all you want but getting mad and outraged I don't agree with you is just silly dude.

I'm actually surprised the difference is not even bigger.

The BB engine is so old-ish.

Looks great, but also testament to the art design of the game.

cordy

Banned
Looks good but something about it doesn't have that "feel" of Bloodborne. Not bad though. Just feels different to me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Looks good but something about it doesn't have that "feel" of Bloodborne. Not bad though. Just feels different to me.

He doesn't have the volumetric fog running with the same glow/distortion effect that makes it feel more otherworldly.

It shouldn't be too hard to engineer that in though.

He doesn't have the volumetric fog running with the same glow/distortion effect that makes it feel more otherworldly.

It shouldn't be too hard to engineer that in though.

Something tells me the fog has infinitely more to do with the atmosphere fog than chromatic aberration.

I know you're being sarcastic but this actually does look better and closer to the themes behind the game.

The other one looks Sanitized.

The image only looks half decent because it's half-size. It's got waaaay more CA than Bloodborne actually does and would look like shit full-sized and in motion. There are more effective ways to impart a feeling of ethereality beyond slathering CA all over your image.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Funny how someone at Crytek does it with their own internal engine but someone at DICE doesn't. Like I said: I want to see it on Frostbite. Hell, if he can't do that because LOL EA LOL NO TAKING INTERNAL COMPANY STUFF HOME TO USE ON YOUR OWN TIME LOL/security issues, I'd like to see him do Mirror's Edge: Catalyst in Unreal Engine 4 just to see how much of an "upgrade" from UE3 "Mirror's Edge 2" would've been.

I suspect the issue is less that he can't use Frostbite outside of work so much as Frostbite requires ridiculous amounts of hardware to actually set up ranging from a high bandwidth Perforce server to a variety of other supporting systems and software.

Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine on the other hand are meant to be indie usable.

Bloodborne does not have volumetric fog (and I am not even sure if the DS3/BB engine has lit particles even). Rather, just screen facing billboards.

And yeah, he could add those in if he really cared too.

Crossing Eden

The image only looks half decent because it's half-size. It's got waaaay more CA than Bloodborne actually does and would look like shit full-sized and in motion. There are more effective ways to impart a feeling of ethereality beyond slathering CA all over your image.
Yep. FFS there's a marketing screenshot from the actual game on the first page which like the others doesn't feature CA.

z9lT5Cl.jpg

Still looks otherworldly without the visuals looking blurry as hell.

Boy it makes me furious Nintendo did such a bad recreating the look of WW in that remaster. Truly one of the most baffling artistic mess ups I've seen.
I don't think they were trying to recreate the look rather they were testing out tech that is currently being used in Zelda U.

z3phon

As good as it looks it's missing some character from the original. Hard to place exactly, just feels a bit dead by comparison.

That said the tech (which is the point of this ) is awesome.

EDIT: ok the CryEngine shots are way better. Beautiful!
Missing characters from the original?
tech??
He's a Environment Artist and this is a portfolio piece. It's not made by DICE nor is it any "tech" thing

I don't think they were trying to recreate the look rather they were testing out tech that is currently being used in Zelda U.

Zelda U looks infinitely closer to WW than the remaster does. If Zelda U has that same horrific problem when you get in darkness where Link suddenly looks way too solid as if he's been ported into Garry's mod I'm gonna facepalm so hard I might get a concussion.

Top Bottom