• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA on Wii U: "What we describe as "Gen 4" is yet to come." [Up: Full Direct Quote]

MisterHero

What the hell happened between EA and Nintendo? Surely there must be someone out there gossiping about it - no journos interested in trying to crack this one open?
There was a rumor of EA wanting to handle Wii U's online but Nintendo said no. It's probably not accurate, but it's not unprecedented either (EA and Sega, MS).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
In regards to Wii U being next gen or not, I consider it current gen since it's currently out. I'll continue calling it current gen once Orbis and Durango hit.

popeutlal

The complete lack of 3rd party interest is Nintendo's biggest problem. Wii U will have an ever harder time than the Wii in that regard.
Nintendo's biggest problem is that they are not releasing 1st party games for it. So far we only have two very uninteresting releases from Nintendo.

Before the craziness and accusations begin, I am pretty sure the way they're describing gens is different from the traditional definition of 'whatever the newest iteration of a console' is.

I think he means the distinction as the differences in a generation where you have to build new engines and such... with Wii U, you can pretty much port your PS30 engines with modifications and be done with it. To get the most out of Orbis/Durango, you're going to have to build from scratch.

For a game company, the distinction would be very real and a total different ballpark in terms of investment.

Yep. An AAA Wii U game can be sold with PS3-level of assets. The PS4 / 720 are both a step above that, requiring larger budgets and larger teams to be an AAA contender.

DaBuddaDa

Clearly their internal generation structure is different from the internet's (which grew out of wikipedia). Arguing about which number "gen" this is is besides the point and arbitrary.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Think EA started with 16-bit didn't they? So 16-bit/32-bit+64-bit/128-bit etc/HD gen/ errrrr... so doesnt even make too much sense there. Gen 5 would have.

And any journalist worth their salt would continue to press and not be a lacky though I digress. Gaming Journalism is more about getting freebies than being a journalist

It's not even about getting EA to publicly say something; it's about trying to leverage your sources and get them to explain what happened ("a source within EA speaking on condition of anonymity..." etc.)

Can someone tell EA that the Wii U isn't a generation 4 console, that honour goes to the SNES, but a generation 8.

You think that they would know that considering that they are in the video game business.

...Do I really have to pull up the dictionary definition of generation? Really?

I think the point is at least in EA's view, the Wii U is not in the same class as what they expect/know the next Sony and Microsoft consoles to be, and that's going to be true no matter how you want to define "generation." Pull it from a dictionary, wikipedia, or from wherever, and it is still irrelevant.

Jeez... That's something.
Well, I hope that they balance releases on the "next-gen" consoles and the WiiU.

It's a neat console, and I want to see more games take advantage of the controller screen.

And any journalist worth their salt would continue to press and not be a lacky though I digress. Gaming Journalism is more about getting freebies than being a journalist

What leverage would a website have on EA to actually make them state something that would sour their relationship with nintendo any further?

USC-fan

Banned
I like the gen 4 instead of saying next gen for the ps4/720. At least people wont get as upset if he would have said "next-gen."

kitsuneyo

EA coming across all obnoxious. I don't like it. It certainly doesn't make me want to support their mostly shitty games.

Saty

Wii U isn't even listed in their latest financials. Well, can't blame EA too much when even the analysts in the Q&A didn't ask a single question about how EA's Wii U games have performed.

tkscz

I'm guessing Gen4 is not meant to be generation, but code for something else. As, starting with WiiU, we're in Gen8.

wtfi9lw7.gif

The Wii U really is in a bad situation.

There is more talk in here about what Gen numbers they are using than how the Wii U will fare with what seems to be limited EA support.

Arkam

Dont get your panties in a bunch over the "Gen4" remark.

Thats just how EA does things. PS2/XBox/GC/Wii was Gen2
Xenon/ps3 were called Gen3
So it only makes sense for them to call nextbox/ps4 Gen4

Now what I wonder was if they actually called psx/n64 Gen 1.... but that was long before I entered the industry.

oh and for the record when they got Wii U kits they called them Gen2.5 at first since they were not sure to port up from Wii or port from Gen3. but that was before they really got to mess with it too much :p

Sendou

It's good that it's finally confirmed that Wii U actually competes with Master System as far as generations go.

Ding-Ding

Dear Nintendo Fans

Thank you for purchasing our "Gen 3" hand me downs. Hope you continue to purchase these limited investments we have made on your system at premium prices, while we concentrate on the real "Gen 4" consoles that don't come with duct tape.

Lots of Love

EA

Wiz

So by Gen 4 they mean 3D graphical leaps. Which sort of makes their statement reasonable.

RoKKeR

EA has totally disregarded the WiiU at this point. They even said in their investor call today that they don't consider it to be in the same category as "Gen 4". (Durango/Orbis)

Quite hilarious after their big on-stage proclamation of WiiU's greatness and how much EA will support it back in 2011.

Eusis

Gen 4? Even if I'm being generous and start with NES

NES ->SNES ->PS1 -> PS2 -> Wii/PS3/360

That's 5 already dude.
I guess now it starts with PS1, either due to the advent of 3D or the advent of Sony blowing the mainstream wide open. Either way I think it's really stupid to treat it as if the prior generations don't matter, it should either be from the very start, or at least from when the NES resuscitated consoles.

Alternatively, their view is more along the lines of this: the start of games period (Atari), the start of sophisticated 2D design (PC/Nintendo), the start of sophisticated 3D design (Sega/Sony/Nintendo/PC), and the start of serious alternative controls (DS/Wii/Move/Kinect/Wii U/next consoles... though I guess that should've ALREADY started.)

EDIT: Yeah, guess it's the former afterall. Maybe it's just from being raised on NES/SNES but I really don't like that kind of division, especially as A LOT of what was relevant then stayed relevant to more recent generations, nevermind where handhelds fit.

Top Bottom