• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Promotions: Peter Moore = COO, Frank Gibeau = Label Overlord, BioWare = New Label

V_Ben

Banned
Update 2:

Joystiq said:
-Peter Moore is now the Chief Operating Officer of the company, a role vacated by John Schappert in April
-Current EA Games label boss Frank Gibeau will serve as President of all the EA labels
-Bioware will become the fourth EA label, joining EA Games (DICE, Visceral, Criterion, EA Partners, etc.), EA Sports (Madden, FIFA, Fight Night) and EA Play (Maxis, The Sims, MySims)
-Barry Cottle moves from executive VP to of EA Interactive to heading the division, which now includes Playfish, Pogo, EA Mobile, EA's partnership with Hasbro, Asian mobile and online games and PopCap
Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/04/peter-moore-now-coo-at-ea-more-execs-change-jobs/

Joystiq said:
POSTED BY John Riccitiello ON 08 4, 2011
John Riccitiello: Changing and Growing

Today we announced some changes in EA’s organization that reflect how we create and distribute our games, as well as how we nurture the talent of our employees.

This is the first material re-organization since we established EA’s label structure in 2007. Our progress since then has been incredible. We executed against three transformational strategies: (1) Fewer, Better, Bigger, (2) Expanding our digital businesses, and (3) Tighter cost management. Our quality has risen dramatically. We’ve built an $800m+ digital business while pushing down operating costs. Not all of it was easy but looking back, it was exactly the right structure and priorities for the challenges we faced.

Now, we are switching from defense to offense. We’re focusing on building our intellectual properties/franchises into year-round business. We’ve established our own platform, Origin, and we continue to grow our digital business.

We are already seeing big returns on our investment in change. That’s why this is precisely the right time to update our organization. A few highlights that were announced today:

-Peter Moore is now our Chief Operating Officer.
-Frank Gibeau will serve as President of the EA Labels.
-Our Label structure is expanding to four – EA Games, EA SPORTS, EA Play and BioWare.
-Barry Cottle is heading up EA Interactive which now includes Playfish, Pogo, EA Mobile, our partnership with Hasbro, the online and mobile business in Asia and soon, PopCap.

Two final thoughts on the reorganization:

First, I think it’s a great reflection on EA that we are able to tap so much world-class leadership from within our own ranks. The depth of talent and leadership in this company is inspiring.

Second, as I look across EA and back on its history, I come to an important realization. The people who succeed here are the ones who map their creative vision over a deep understanding of what our consumers want. Our Label structure reflects that strategy. It creates a close partnership between developers and product marketers that connects the creative process to our consumers.

This is an exciting time. The opportunities are growing exponentially and EA is growing and changing to capture them.
Source: http://www.ea.com/news/riccitiello-changing-and-growing

Original:

Patrick Klepek's twitter;

Peter Moore is now the COO of Electronic Arts as a whole. I approve of this promotion.

Developing, I guess. I'll update when/if there's more.

Update:
http://m.giantbomb.com/news/peter-moore-promoted-now-way-more-important-at-ea/3557/

Peter Moore is the new chief operating officer at Electronic Arts, according to a SEC filing by the company today. That position puts him one notch below EA CEO John Riccitiello. Important, basically.

Previously, he'd just been overseeing the EA Sports division.

Who doesn't love Peter Moore? The guy is the greatest video game press conference host that ever was.

And he also did, you know, this (to the right).

Moore's promotion comes alongside a new label organization for EA: EA Games, BioWare, EA Play and EA Sports. Frank Gibeau, previously the head of EA Games, is now is the leader of EA Labels.

"As I look across EA and back on its history, I come to an important realization," said Riccitiello in the filing. "The people who succeed here are the ones who map their creative vision over a deep understanding of what our consumers want. Our Label structure reflects that strategy. It creates a close partnership between developers and product marketers that connects the creative process to our consumers."

I approve of this promotion.

StuBurns

Banned
I've always enjoyed his interviews, I have no idea how competent he is, but I'm glad a seemingly nice guy gets a pay rise.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Chuck said:
Who's taking over EA Sports?
Presumably Andrew Wilson.

He's been the face of EA Sports for the last month or so. Didn't occur to me that was because Peter was getting promoted.

Peter also showing up randomly on their conference call for the first time (I think this was the first time) makes more sense as well.

EA Sports had Fifa rise to Heaven while NBA Live fell to Hell and the other series either stagnated or declined, I don't really think he's done that well.

Hey Peter, here's some free advice courtesy of me and Wikipedia. Best of luck in your new position!

While the role of the COO is crucial to firm success, it can often be a tricky one to master. Any breakdown in trust between the CEO and COO can lead to failure. Additionally, the COO typically has to be a very high level leader who is comfortable not being fully in charge. Many executives with the leadership skills necessary to be a top level COO would prefer to be running their own show as opposed to taking orders from a CEO.

Harry Levinson, Ph.D., effectively summarized the challenges of the COO position: "The relationship between the chief executive officer and the chief operating officer in any organization is fraught with many psychological complexities. Perhaps it is the most difficult of all organizational working relationships because more than others, it is a balancing act on the threshold of power."

Neuromancer said:
Good, get him out of the EA Sports ghetto and back into the limelight where he belongs.
This. Peter Moore is one of the best speaking execs around and I hate that every time he comes on stage it's only to talk about sports (which I personally don't care at all about).

[Nintex]

Akia said:
Do you think they'll make Peter CEO if John gets the boot due to poor ROI on SWTOR?
John kinda outsmart everyone with the iOS and Facebook thing that didn't make any sense at first but maybe he's looking to retire anyway. He's made a ton of money as EA's CEO and with Moore right below him he doesn't have to worry about the future of the company anymore. It wouldn't surprise me in anyway if Moore became CEO sometime during the next 3 years.

It's quite incredible how Moore turned EA Sports around, especially pounding PES so hard with FIFA that Konami is yet to recover.

Xamdou

Nirolak said:
Yeah, he's above the label presidents and right below their CEO.

That's a pretty tall order. Peter Moore becoming CEO is inevitable. Makes perfect sense considering the next-generation consoles are within the next two years and there is no better person to further EA's goal to become the #1 3rd-party publisher than Perter Moore.

gketter said:
The Hand to the king

Perfect.

[Nintex] said:
John kinda outsmart everyone with the iOS and Facebook thing that didn't make any sense at first but maybe he's looking to retire anyway. He's made a ton of money as EA's CEO and with Moore right below him he doesn't have to worry about the future of the company anymore. It wouldn't surprise me in anyway if Moore became CEO sometime during the next 3 years.

It's quite incredible how Moore turned EA Sports around, especially pounding PES so hard with FIFA that Konami is yet to recover.

Uhh, their basketball series gets outsold 6 million to nothing per year now.

StuBurns

Banned
Xamdou said:
That's a pretty tall order. Peter Moore becoming CEO is inevitable. Makes perfect sense considering the next-generation consoles are within the next two years and there is no better person to further EA's goal to become the #1 3rd-party publisher than Perter Moore.

Perfect.
They are the biggest third party publisher.

Centurion

Banned
completely OT, but did the deal EA make with the NFL ever fully payoff? Considering the franchise was already selling off the charts before the exclusive rights. Did it get the boost in sales to make up for the initial investment?

Rich!

tumblr_llt8qfZM2U1qd6q29o1_500.jpg

As we say at EA...get the fuck out of my building.

Badass.

[Nintex]

CoachKevin said:
Good for Peter! He is easily my favorite executive in the video game industry. From the Dreamcast to the Xbox 360. He gives off the sense that he loves what he does and believes in what he is selling.

Here is part 1 of the launch show Gamespot did for the Dreamcast:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aouEyoAVBBw
I got totally nostalgic when Nintendo had Peter Moore talk about next-gen gaming and the Wii U.

I'm so conflicted. I hate EA with all the stuff they have been pulling out of Steam, and yet on the other hand I respect Peter Moore because of his work at Sega during the Dreamcast era.

The amount of incest between EA and Microsoft has always fascinated me.

There has to be a certain amount of wink, wink, nudge, nudge going on between them.

Subitai

Lasthope106 said:
I'm so conflicted. I hate EA with all the stuff they have been pulling out of Steam, and yet on the other hand I respect Peter Moore because of his work at Sega during the Dreamcast era.
Yeah, EA used to give him nightmares and sleepless nights when he was at Sega.

Top Bottom