• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Promotions: Peter Moore = COO, Frank Gibeau = Label Overlord, BioWare = New Label

Massa

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where the bad employee gets promoted so they don't have to deal with him anymore.

The guy is charming and all but his record at EA Sports is pretty bad. How they managed to kill NBA Live is still beyond me.

zugzug

Xamdou said:
So COO is like the second in command of the company? Lord protector of the gaming realm?

I laffed at this turn of phrase, Is it to late for Master Stark(Peter Moore) to adopt me in real life?

StuBurns

Banned
Massa said:
Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where the bad employee gets promoted so they don't have to deal with him anymore.

The guy is charming and all but his record at EA Sports is pretty bad. How they managed to kill NBA Live is still beyond me.
It can't go too badly as long as they get Jerry Stiller to cater their next event.

[Nintex]

Nirolak said:
EA is the #1 third party publisher on consoles, Activision is the biggest overall.
Is this still true if we factor in PopCap, the iOS and Facebook markets? Seems like EA has more fingers in more pies than ever before.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Eh, don't care strongly for Moore. I'm still pissed about "you know... things break."

Zhutchka

Massa said:

FIFA is probably more important to them than all other EA Sports titles put together.

Time to call Sega and green light Shenmue III.

It's taken a long time, but the Peter Moore plan to infiltrate EA, work his way to the top and take revenge for EA not supporting the Dreamcast is almost complete.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
[Nintex] said:
Is this still true if we factor in PopCap, the iOS and Facebook markets? Seems like EA has more fingers in more pies than ever before.
Let me get the chart:

eachartirl2.png

In terms of market capital though, I think Zynga is currently #1, Activision Blizzard #2, and EA #3.

However, if comparing sales might make more sense, which is what the above does.

StuBurns

Banned
The PC position is surprising to me, I don't know anything they make that's popular other than the Sims. And compared to WoW/StarCraft 2/CoD I can't believe they're outselling Acti.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Joystiq said:
-Peter Moore is now the Chief Operating Officer of the company, a role vacated by John Schappert in April
-Current EA Games label boss Frank Gibeau will serve as President of all the EA labels
-Bioware will become the fourth EA label, joining EA Games (DICE, Visceral, Criterion, EA Partners, etc.), EA Sports (Madden, FIFA, Fight Night) and EA Play (Maxis, The Sims, MySims)
-Barry Cottle moves from executive VP to of EA Interactive to heading the division, which now includes Playfish, Pogo, EA Mobile, EA's partnership with Hasbro, Asian mobile and online games and PopCap
Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/04/peter-moore-now-coo-at-ea-more-execs-change-jobs/

Joystiq said:
POSTED BY John Riccitiello ON 08 4, 2011
John Riccitiello: Changing and Growing

Today we announced some changes in EA’s organization that reflect how we create and distribute our games, as well as how we nurture the talent of our employees.

This is the first material re-organization since we established EA’s label structure in 2007. Our progress since then has been incredible. We executed against three transformational strategies: (1) Fewer, Better, Bigger, (2) Expanding our digital businesses, and (3) Tighter cost management. Our quality has risen dramatically. We’ve built an $800m+ digital business while pushing down operating costs. Not all of it was easy but looking back, it was exactly the right structure and priorities for the challenges we faced.

Now, we are switching from defense to offense. We’re focusing on building our intellectual properties/franchises into year-round business. We’ve established our own platform, Origin, and we continue to grow our digital business.

We are already seeing big returns on our investment in change. That’s why this is precisely the right time to update our organization. A few highlights that were announced today:

-Peter Moore is now our Chief Operating Officer.
-Frank Gibeau will serve as President of the EA Labels.
-Our Label structure is expanding to four – EA Games, EA SPORTS, EA Play and BioWare.
-Barry Cottle is heading up EA Interactive which now includes Playfish, Pogo, EA Mobile, our partnership with Hasbro, the online and mobile business in Asia and soon, PopCap.

Two final thoughts on the reorganization:

First, I think it’s a great reflection on EA that we are able to tap so much world-class leadership from within our own ranks. The depth of talent and leadership in this company is inspiring.

Second, as I look across EA and back on its history, I come to an important realization. The people who succeed here are the ones who map their creative vision over a deep understanding of what our consumers want. Our Label structure reflects that strategy. It creates a close partnership between developers and product marketers that connects the creative process to our consumers.

This is an exciting time. The opportunities are growing exponentially and EA is growing and changing to capture them.
Source: http://www.ea.com/news/riccitiello-changing-and-growing

CoachKevin said:
From the Dreamcast to the Xbox 360. He gives off the sense that he loves what he does and believes in what he is selling.
While I agree that he had passion, the Xbox division wasn't far off a disaster under him. Losing endless amount of money, the RROD fiasco and how it was handled, then losing Bungie to independence and Bioware and Bizarre to EA and Activision. As much as I hate the direction Don Mattrick is taking the 360, from a business point of view (and after all, this is a business) he's certainly turned it around.

StuBurns said:
The PC position is surprising to me, I don't know anything they make that's popular other than the Sims. And compared to WoW/StarCraft 2/CoD I can't believe they're outselling Acti.

They've got Battlefield and FIFA as well, the Bioware RPGs, and they publish the Crysis games. Don't they publish Valve's games at retail too?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
[Nintex] said:
So what happened to John Schappert?
He's the COO of Zynga.

MaddenNFL64 said:
Figured Bioware would get it's own label. So can they get rid of the EA label on their games now?
Organizational labels, not literal labeling on the box.

This is basically a way to promote BioWare executives while still leaving Frank Gibeau overseeing them.

[Nintex]

Monty Mole said:
While I agree that he had passion, the Xbox division wasn't far off a disaster under him. Losing endless amount of money, the RROD fiasco and how it was handled, then losing Bungie to independence and Bioware and Bizarre to EA and Activision. As much as I hate the direction Don Mattrick is taking the 360, from a business point of view (and after all, this is a business) he's certainly turned it around.
Moore did reel in Epic Games, a ton of third party support and he expanded Xbox Live quite a bit. He basically set the stage for Mattrick and the others that followed him. I believe that in the end it was Robbie Bach who pushed things too far on the hardware side.

StuBurns

Banned
GarthVaderUK said:
They've got Battlefield and FIFA as well, the Bioware RPGs, and they publish the Crysis games. Don't they publish Valve's games at retail too?
They distribute Valve's games, I don't think any of those other games do CoD/WoW numbers, maybe I'm mistaken.

Morn

Banned
I don't like them making BioWare a "label". That's just setting them up to be shut down like Origin.

MaddenNFL64

Nirolak said:
He's the COO of Zynga.

Organizational labels, not literal labeling on the box.

This is basically a way to promote BioWare executives while still leaving Frank Gibeau overseeing them.

Ah.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
StuBurns said:
They distribute Valve's games, I don't think any of those other games do CoD/WoW numbers, maybe I'm mistaken.
They don't need to, they just need to combine to end up being more.

StuBurns said:
FIFA sold 15 million and BF:BC 2 sold 9 million according to their latest financial report.

FIFA in Europe is almost as popular as Call of Duty.

StuBurns

Banned
Nirolak said:
They don't need to, they just need to combine to end up being more.
I don't think they do though. Last year there was BF:BC2, and Mass Effect 2, I'm sure they both did decently, but nothing compared to SC2, CoD:BO and Cataclysm.
anonnumber6 said:
FIFA sold 15 million and BF:BC 2 sold 9 million according to their latest financial report.

FIFA in Europe is almost as popular as Call of Duty.
What about on PC which is what we're talking about?

MaddenNFL64

StuBurns said:

Bad Company 2 sold 6 million, Bioware games do 2-3, Crysis does 1.5-2. FIFA sold like 8-10 million. Madden does 5.

They all sell. Nothing is COD, but they all sell.

edit: Oh PC. No clue.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
StuBurns said:
I don't think they do though. Last year there was BF:BC2, and Mass Effect 2, I'm sure they both did decently, but nothing compared to SC2, CoD:BO and Cataclysm.

What about on PC which is what we're talking about?
If I had to guess, I'd say it's almost entirely due to retail sales in Europe.

maks

I think Gibeau is great. I work for EA and have a personal story.

A couple years ago he did a presentation for our studio. I was completely tuned in and in agreement with the things he was speaking about. His vision on the future of games label felt as if it were my own.

I searched the company directory and followed up with a short email. There were a few slides i was particularly interested in that i requested. He responded and thanked me for the comments. In addition he shared a little bit about himself and even commented on my position within EA. I only listed my name in the email! He actually looked me up and shared a little bit about himself. His beginnings were very similar to mine and he encouraged me to stick with the company. I was working in QA at the time :)

Top Bottom