• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA shuts down Visceral, moves Star Wars game to EA Vancouver/others

The Star Wars game lives somewhat:
The Star Wars game in development at Visceral will be revamped and move to a different studio. “Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe,” EA’s Patrick Söderlund said. “In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design. We will maintain the stunning visuals, authenticity in the Star Wars universe, and focus on bringing a Star Wars story to life. Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore.”

Holy shit if this paragraph isnt hard to read. Fuck EA.

Frostman

What???

So out of the blue.

And by the sounds of that post, they want a service type game rather than a story driven single player.

So Anthem: The Star Wars story.

Fuck off EA.

NzT6iT8.png

There you go

tumblr_n53xoqm1Uv1t1656jo3_500.gif

Memento

Wow.

The statement they released also sounds like they are going for a GaaS-like game now for the Star Wars game they were developing. Damn it.

KageMaru

Fuck off EA. I really hope everyone lands on their feet OK.

closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design.

Anyone read this as moving the design away from Uncharted/Tomb Raider-like direction to a game like Destiny?

kevin1025

Banned
So the behind the scenes Star Wars studio videos shall continue on yet another year at E3 with nothing to show for it.

This is super disappointing for Visceral.

nampad

First 1313 and now this? I want my fucking Star Wars Uncharted. It was my most wanted game :/

Uncharted and Tomb Raider are rather successful and now there isn't a market for a game like that with the Star Wars branding? Not every one of your games needs to be full of loot boxes etc.

j-wood

So basically, they are adding fucking loot boxes and multiplayer to "reshift the game to something players come back to for a long time"

Ugh.

Well, fuck. Hopefully the people affected will land on their feet.

That statement is just pure EA.
"We were thinking of ripping off Uncharted at first but we noticed that other types of games have generated more revenue so fuck it, we're doing that instead."

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Just a reminder to everyone that EA already forced microtransactions in a linear single player/coop game back in 2013 with Dead Space 3
Dead Space 3 gave out resources like candy on Halloween. MTs had zero effect on the game. Also this seems like they're basically rebooting it to conform with modern design trends over the trends that led to the reception of the order 1886.

Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore.

jacobeid

Banned
This is fucking terrible news: both about Visceral and the new direction of Star Wars. Wonder how Amy is taking this....?

"Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe," EA's Patrick Söderlund said. ”In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design. "

Want one of em PUBG clone amiright? Fcking scum.

Everything about this sucks. I don't give a shit about Star Wars but I like Visceral and saying a game is a story based linear adventure game is honestly music to my ears. That's what I wanted.

Shredderi

What kind of people do they use for focus testing anyway? Is there some teenager sitting there, playing with an anguished look on his face saying "hmm I'm not sure if I like the fact that this outfit can be earned via this quest. I would like it much better if you took it away and made available by me putting real money in it instead".

tl;dr- "Amy said there was no good way for us to put loot boxes in her game so we shut down the studio and told her to get the fuck out"

aeolustl

So i guess the game now is a Battle Royale with loot boxes right?

Shit.

A development team from across EA Worldwide Studios will take over development of this game, led by a team from EA Vancouver that has already been working on the project. Our Visceral studio will be ramping down and closing, and we’re in the midst of shifting as many of the team as possible to other projects and teams at EA.

WTF. So the game is now handle by the EA Sports team?
Man I was looking forward to the Amy Hennig's Star Wars game

And I thought Motive Studio was helping them with it. What is Jade Raymond working on now then?

daveo42

Banned
This seems to imply development problems.

Maybe. I could also be related to how well MP loot box driven games have sold vs SP only experiences. Just look at that NPD research thread on how perfect PR has to be to sell a SP only game well to an audience. Star Wars should have been an easy win, but EA seems to want the easier, cheaper buck instead.

Top Bottom