• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA shuts down Visceral, moves Star Wars game to EA Vancouver/others

Alienous

NzT6iT8.png

There you go

"Wait a second, you get a blaster 50% of the way into the game?"

Azzurri

I remember when people gave shit to Sony online entertainment for Star wars galaxies. I know it was just one aspect of the SW license, but man did EA really shit on SW franchise starting with SWTOR.

JlNX

EA if you have turned an Amy directed Star Wars story into a fucking MMO-lite like everything else or have made it another battlefront equivalent then I'm fucking done. I hope these aren't the same focus testers that thought battlefront 1 without a campaign was fine, or the same people who don't even touch single player let alone finish it in most games. Do we know if Amy is still even working on the game?

Wow - this is out of nowhere... Never played Dead Space but Battlefield Hardline was quite fun...

Hoping the devs will land on their feet somehow - really sad news :(.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wonder where Amy will go now.

I think Star Wars destiny could work but it’s in conflict with Anthem which is off brand destiny.

Blueblur1

Oh shit, I saw the Star Wars game thread first. Yeah, Hennig's game is totally dead and its sad to see that the studio is too. What a bummer. EA sucks.

This game doesn't exist until it's actually released from this day forward. Shame as well since it's the only Star Wars game that looked interesting since Ea took control.

We took feedback from players and instead of Star Wars Uncharted we learned they wanted Star Wars slot machine Idolmaster dark souls dress up pubg of duty. Please look forward to it.

Yup. I just don't believe this game wouldn't have done well enough on its own. It's fucking Star Wars with "from the creator of Uncharted" on the box.

This and the recent lootbox discussions all just make me think more and more that games arent hurting at $60, publishers just want to keep taking more and more for themselves.

Open world with lootboxes. This industry fucking sucks.

The EAs of the industry do at least.

Crumpo

FFS. I have no idea how they are going to squeeze this game into GAAS but EA is sure going to try, and it is going to be ugly. Then when it sells poorly EA will assume it's because we don't want Star Wars games.

Wolfenstein TNC needs to sell a fucking boatload to prove that SP-focused games can still be profitable.

Some Nobody

So basically it was going to be a AAA-singleplayer game and they canned it in it's current form and are going all in on GAAS shit on it? But here's the question: why the fuck didn't they just let Visceral work it into their new no-doubt-shit direction? But yeah, this is why the EA meme pic exists.

Studios often do things for multiple reasons. If development had been proceeding smoothly they might've just let the game come out clean. But since development was already in trouble, you tell the team to bounce and you re-tool it since there's a core idea you can exploit.

Can't say it's entirely a surprise considering how little we've seen of Visceral's game but it's a huge loss that they are shutting down, they made some really incredible stuff. I can't imagine what EA is thinking, they seem to be hedging everything on DICE and what's left of Bioware.

Kyoufu

First of all, I hope the Visceral folks land on their feet.

Secondly, I hope the Star Wars licence lands on its feet because EA has completely failed in delivering any memorable games with the IP. How disappointing.

thumb

Banned
Code Cow, post if you're okay.

(Code Cow is a gaffer, Visceral dev who worked on the Dead Space series, among other titles.)

This sounds terrible, I don't like the verbage they used in terms of reshaping the game. Sounds like it's going from a narrative focused game to a game focused on having multiplayer and online.

The draw of this game was it being the Uncharted of the Star Wars universe, this sort or blows.

I wonder what Amy is going to do now.

eXistor

I'm sure they'll make more money this way. It's how soulless companies like EA work; they don't give one good goddamn about the craft of making a good videogame; they do it for the money. That. Is. All. They're as close to a literal devil as you can get. I've never supported EA, but I really wish the rest of you would start doing the same.

With the death of another studio comes the death of yet another single player focused title... can't shove lootboxes in those nearly as well.

TheSun

Oh damn, that's fucked. There goes the Star Wars game, unless the give it to another.

Man, was this the studio Jim predicted to shutter.

Top Bottom