• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis (Wii)

Speevy

Banned
Tennis games are fun no matter what console you play them on.

Though I will admit motion control makes for a unique tennis simulation.

grimmbomb

Jaded Alyx said:
Care to share your reasoning? I'm genuinely interested. (I'm so glad it looks like 2 top quality Wii Tennis games are releasing this year)

And within about a month of eachother. VERRANIIICE!!:D

Nicktals

Banned
any video out there showing people actually playing yet? Seems weird to say "now with the added realism of motion plus!" and then just cut to more of the exact same footage...doesn't really get your point across.

grimmbomb

Looks like they got the Williams sisters and I think Sharapova. Can't tell for sure if it's her though. But the blond with the ponytail seems more likely to be her than not.

Nicktals said:

Awww, I don't want to play as real life tennis players, surely there's still time to add it in. A big part of the appeal of Wii Sports Tennis is the mii support!

Besides, Motionplus probably isn't coming out until after the game's launch so a delay probably won't really hurt the game's sales if it's needed to add mii support in!

plank

IGN hands on Wii EA Grand slam Tennis "now with" M+

Without Wii MotionPlus, rallies are all about timing. Based on when you swing, the ball will fly off in a certain direction -- very similar to Wii Sports Tennis. With MotionPlus, it's all about your form, power and followthrough, the latter of which is very important. You still use A and B-trigger as lob and dropshot modifiers, which just works. But less emphasis is placed on your timing. As your waiting for a serve or for a return, you twist the Wii remote about and your on-screen character will do the same. And when you finally hit it back, you'll need to consider whether to hit forehand or backhand, speed, and the positioning of the Wii remote at the end of your motion and arch. In my play test, every ball I returned shot exactly where I wanted it to go. Even better, if I cut my followthrough midway on a return, the ball would curve inward toward the middle court instead of outward toward a corner, which is amazing.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/962/962284p1.html

Cheez-It

plank said:
IGN Wii M+ hands on

Even better, if I cut my followthrough midway on a return, the ball would curve inward toward the middle court instead of outward toward a corner, which is amazing.

What does this mean? As a tennis player, I'm highly dubious of their implementation. Might be good for the general public though.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Awww, I don't want to play as real life tennis players, surely there's still time to add it in. A big part of the appeal of Wii Sports Tennis is the mii support!

Besides, Motionplus probably isn't coming out until after the game's launch so a delay probably won't really hurt the game's sales if it's needed to add mii support in!
You can make your own character . . . that should be enuff.

And IGN is the only one saying M+ will have a delay so I wouldn't assume it to be just on that.

kurosawa

For Grand Slam Tennis, that translates to a near one-to-one movement between what you're doing with the Wii Remote and what your onscreen player is doing with his racket. In fact, the controls are so sensitive that you can roll the Wii Remote in your hands and the player will roll the racket in sync. As a result, you'll need to be mindful of how level your racket is when you're swinging, because angling the face up or down will make a difference in how the shot comes off the racket's face.

http://wii.gamespot.com/wii/sports/grandslamtennis/news.html?sid=6205994&tag=topslot;thumb;3

Day One. This, Tiger Woods 10 and PES 2009. These are the reasons I bough my Wii :D

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

ksamedi

Wii Motion + will really change the way people think about the Wii. This will be so cool to play. I really can't wait.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Ydahs said:
grand-slam-tennis-10-20090306044632048.jpg
Looking good, but I think it is missing something.

EA should outline all the characters (Am I doing this right? referring to the technique that is not cel shading... oh well)

nightside

ksamedi said:
Wii Motion + will really change the way people think about the Wii. This will be so cool to play. I really can't wait.

indeed. this game looks good (animations are a bit stiff maybe) and sounds great.

sold

1-D_FTW

That IGN write up makes it sound like video game sex. HOT!

Black-Wind said:
You can make your own character . . . that should be enuff.

And IGN is the only one saying M+ will have a delay so I wouldn't assume it to be just on that.

Pretty sure MTV has been running stories on this (Specifics blur together in my RSS feed.) There have been stories about Nintendo engaging in semantics about there not being a delay (Saying a release date was never given and therefore it's impossible to label it a delay. Even though they originally said Spring and that implies before June 23rd.)

1-D_FTW

Gamecocks625 said:
Tell me about it. I'm now kicking myself for selling mine! Sports games are now kicking butt again.

Rebuy it. That's what I'm doing. Considering I made money off it and 2008 sucked IMO, wasn't a bad decision.

Vinci

Danish
plank said:
IGN hands on Wii EA Grand slam Tennis "now with" M+

With MotionPlus, it's all about your form, power and followthrough, the latter of which is very important. You still use A and B-trigger as lob and dropshot modifiers, which just works. But less emphasis is placed on your timing. As your waiting for a serve or for a return, you twist the Wii remote about and your on-screen character will do the same. And when you finally hit it back, you'll need to consider whether to hit forehand or backhand, speed, and the positioning of the Wii remote at the end of your motion and arch. In my play test, every ball I returned shot exactly where I wanted it to go. Even better, if I cut my followthrough midway on a return, the ball would curve inward toward the middle court instead of outward toward a corner, which is amazing.

I wants so damn badly. I cannot even express my want of this.

m3k

manueldelalas said:
Looking good, but I think it is missing something.

EA should outline all the characters (Am I doing this right? referring to the technique that is not cel shading... oh well)

yes your right, it definately needs more nike product placement

Vinci

Danish
CoolS said:
Sorry but that video is worthless. I thought we were actually going to see someone play the game -.-

What's interesting is that people have always complained about trailers showing people actually playing the game, and now with Motion + everyone wants to see the people. :lol

This isn't an attack against you or anyone in particular - if it's an attack at all - just an observation.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
for real. my love affair with sports games on wii has a new lease on life. haven't had much interest in them for a while because of the limited accuracy of the remote, but motion+ totally changes the way i feel about things.

someone said tiger woods was good? i've been playing mario golf gba recently and the idea of having a great console golf game with motion control is tantalizing. . .

Vinci

Danish
beelzebozo said:
for real. my love affair with sports games on wii has a new lease on life. haven't had much interest in them for a while because of the limited accuracy of the remote, but motion+ totally changes the way i feel about things.

someone said tiger woods was good? i've been playing mario golf gba recently and the idea of having a great console golf game with motion control is tantalizing. . .

Tiger Woods with M+ should be fairly amazing. And if you're looking for an amazing sports game on the system, tell me you own PES.

markatisu

Wow this game sounds awesome, I have been looking for a tennis game to improve on what Wii Sports did and I think I have found it!

beelzebozo said:

I can't go in sports gaming threads like these anymore because if I spend one more second here my wife is going to wonder why I went out and bought a Wii, Grand Slam Tennis, Tiger Woods 10, PES 2009, and Wii Sports Resort (for the M+) when we've been talking about buying a new laptop :lol

d+pad

I wish EA would release the full list of players included in the game - esp. the female players. Please tell me Graf, Navratilova and Evert will be in there alongside the Williams sisters, Ivanovic, etc. (They've already shown Borg, McEnroe, Becker and Sampras for the men, so I'm guessing these ladies are in there...)

Vinci

Danish
Gamecocks625 said:
I can't go in sports gaming threads like these anymore because if I spend one more second here my wife is going to wonder why I went out and bought a Wii, Grand Slam Tennis, Tiger Woods 10, PES 2009, and Wii Sports Resort (for the M+) when we've been talking about buying a new laptop :lol

Be responsible, man. Seriously.

Do it.

Gamecocks625 said:
Again, you forgot Virtua Tennis 2009.

Top Bottom