• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis (Wii)

fresquito

So I've played my first game on Hard, and the game becomes pretty rubber. When your rival plays all the time on the net and none of your lobs works, you know something's wrong. Besides, I'm thinking about starting to use the nunchuk, because my player goes crazy all the way because instead of positioning for swinging or backswingin, he will position himself right in the middle, so you don't really know which kind of shot he's ready to do.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
How do you guys have your games set up?
I mean, I think that online it's by default 2 out of 3 sets (3 games each) as the only option, right?

How do you guys play offline?

Dash Kappei

fresquito said:
So I've played my first game on Hard, and the game becomes pretty rubber. When your rival plays all the time on the net and none of your lobs works, you know something's wrong. Besides, I'm thinking about starting to use the nunchuk, because my player goes crazy all the way because instead of positioning for swinging or backswingin, he will position himself right in the middle, so you don't really know which kind of shot he's ready to do.

Of course you should play with the nunchuck on, especially if you want to up the difficulty to hard.
Be on the ball on a timely fashion and you'll be able to shoot your lobs way higher and faster, also drop shots and uber fast cross court topspins become more important than ever. And you gotta go to the net yourself sometimes if you want to win, like you would in a real tennis match anyway.

You should try the online sometimes, it's FUN.

Dash Kappei said:
How do you guys have your games set up?
I mean, I think that online it's by default 2 out of 3 sets (3 games each) as the only option, right?

How do you guys play offline?
I had mine set to the standard (6 games, best of 5 sets) but the matches took too long in grand slam mode so now I play 6 games, 1 set. That's the perfect length IMO.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I play with the wiimote only still, and I can handle the AI on hard pretty easily now. It's definitely cost me a few online matches against the higher ranked players, so I'll eventually switch over to using the nunchuk. It's a lot of fun when lag is minimal and serving bugs don't show up.

Dash Kappei

Saint Gregory said:
I had mine set to the standard (6 games, best of 5 sets) but the matches took too long in grand slam mode so now I play 6 games, 1 set. That's the perfect length IMO.

Uhmmm... 1 set only doesn't appeal to me personally, I like to have comebacks and stuff like that: Sometimes I'll be playing without the necessary dedication and I get crushed in the first set, that usually gives me the boost to sport a great comeback with the right attitude to destroy the opponent in the 2nd and 3rd sets... I could never play a Slam final with just 1 set, there would be no pathos, imo ;-)

BorkBork said:
I play with the wiimote only still, and I can handle the AI on hard pretty easily now. It's definitely cost me a few online matches against the higher ranked players, so I'll eventually switch over to using the nunchuk. It's a lot of fun when lag is minimal and serving bugs don't show up.
I've tried switching to the nunchuck but I still felt like I was getting ahead of myself since I'm still having an impossible time with the serve and volley players. My lobs are either too long or they set up the net player perfectly for an overhead slam. This game has got to have one of the most brutal learning curves of any game I've played in a while. I'd give up but it's so good.
Dash Kappei said:
Uhmmm... 1 set only doesn't appeal to me personally, I like to have comebacks and stuff like that: Sometimes I'll be playing without the necessary dedication and I get crushed in the first set, that usually gives me the boost to sport a great comeback with the right attitude to destroy the opponent in the 2nd and 3rd sets... I could never play a Slam final with just 1 set, there would be no pathos, imo ;-)
I'm still trying to develop my create-a-player but maybe when I get to the point where I'm playing more recreationally I'll have the patience to make the matches longer.

BorkBork said:
Added a bunch of you guys from the online thread for friendly matches. I need to ice down my elbow though, just played through six or seven matches in a row and it hurts like a bitch. :lol

I can only play once every few days because of this; I think I swing too hard.

It got so bad that I finally created a left handed player and started playing left handed on my off days. I use Nadal for this online and actually did pretty well.

Saint Gregory said:
I've tried switching to the nunchuck but I still felt like I was getting ahead of myself since I'm still having an impossible time with the serve and volley players. My lobs are either too long or they set up the net player perfectly for an overhead slam.

Most of the serve and volley players online outside of the top 50 aren't that good and placing shots down the line usually will beat them. Once they start playing the line sharply topspinning crosscourt will get them as well. Getting a solid return off the serve really helps, but can be tough if they're on the ball there, too.

Dash Kappei

Saint Gregory said:
I've tried switching to the nunchuck but I still felt like I was getting ahead of myself since I'm still having an impossible time with the serve and volley players.

You mean online or offline? If it's online I can't help you, but vs offline cpu I think I/we could give you a few tips.

Also:
---

repost for new page:

ONLINE Meet-Up thread and exchange EA Profiles for GST

We are quite a few already, jump in for some post-Wimbledon guys.

Dash Kappei said:
You mean online or offline? If it's online I can't help you, but vs offline cpu I think I/we could give you a few tips.
Offline, I haven't even tried online yet since I never see anyone in my friendlist on whenever I check. I'm playing on medium too if that gives you any idea of how much trouble I'm having :(

fresquito

Dash Kappei said:
Of course you should play with the nunchuck on, especially if you want to up the difficulty to hard.
Be on the ball on a timely fashion and you'll be able to shoot your lobs way higher and faster, also drop shots and uber fast cross court topspins become more important than ever. And you gotta go to the net yourself sometimes if you want to win, like you would in a real tennis match anyway.

You should try the online sometimes, it's FUN.
Well, I've tried playing with the nunchuk and the result has been pretty good. I was doubting because my prior experiences wasn't very good, but it seems like I'm ready to deal with nunchuk and swing at once.

I'll be online once my Grand Slam character grows a bit more. I hated playing Nadal vs Nadal all the time :-/

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm having a hard time keeping the ball in bounds when I return a shot--seems like 85% of my shots are just outside the white line. Any tips? I try a shorter follow through but that doesn't seem to work.

Model 500

Plinko said:
I'm having a hard time keeping the ball in bounds when I return a shot--seems like 85% of my shots are just outside the white line. Any tips? I try a shorter follow through but that doesn't seem to work.

Just experiment in the practice court, try to change the direction of your swing very little at a time moving closer to the place you would like the ball to land, keep your eye on the ball at all times, use nunchcuk for character placement and remember to also concentrate on the timing of your swing. Repeat until you nail it :)

fisheyes

Picked this up a couple of days ago, and its ok so far, but I'm having trouble coping with the M+ in combination with the automatic running to the ball the players do - specifically, my player seems to randomly choose whether they'll play a forehand or run further and make it a backhand (or vice versa) and I find it hard to cope with. It was ok in Wii Sports as you could get away with swinging it on whatever side you were swinging it, but in this it seems to stuff me up more.

Is it a problem for anyone else or am I just a moran?

bannerboy

fisheyes said:
Picked this up a couple of days ago, and its ok so far, but I'm having trouble coping with the M+ in combination with the automatic running to the ball the players do - specifically, my player seems to randomly choose whether they'll play a forehand or run further and make it a backhand (or vice versa) and I find it hard to cope with. It was ok in Wii Sports as you could get away with swinging it on whatever side you were swinging it, but in this it seems to stuff me up more.

Same for me too!

I think it's a case of using use the Nunchuck but the gf won't anyway... can't see many casual players try it

Model 500

fisheyes said:
...I'm having trouble coping with the M+ in combination with the automatic running to the ball the players do...and I find it hard to cope with. It was ok in Wii Sports as you could get away with swinging it on whatever side you were swinging it, but in this it seems to stuff me up more.

Yes, I think the automatic running is very poorly implemented here. Plug in the nunchuck, adjust to the cord and it's all good :)

This game is fantastic, WiiMotion plus is amazing, and it's implementation in this game is incredible.

As strange as this sounds, Grand Slam Tennis is my game of the year so far.

BorkBork

Model 500 said:
Yes, I think the automatic running is very poorly implemented here. Plug in the nunchuck, adjust to the cord and it's all good :)

It's not bad if you're playing the computer, but if you're online, it will cost you matches.

I just had a couple of matches with a pico11 (I think), ranked 99 in the world. Very entertaining stuff, got beat 4-2 each time. So many great dropshots, I need to learn how to do them effectively.

Jaded Alyx said:
This game is fantastic, WiiMotion plus is amazing, and it's implementation in this game is incredible.

For some reason, the player keeps changing the racket from left to right and vice-versa when i havent made that same movement.

It's pretty cool and yet sad that I'm the only person in my country playing this game.

Check the Nations Leaderboard and scroll down until you find Grenada. That's all me!

markatisu

Jaded Alyx said:
It's pretty cool and yet sad that I'm the only person in my country playing this game.

Check the Nations Leaderboard and scroll down until you find Grenada. That's all me!

That makes you the greatest player in the country then :D

Jaded Alyx said:

I'm really shocked how good it is. I think EA has done a better first stab at tennis than any other sports genre they've attempted. There's things they need to address for the sequel like the oft mentioned backhand/forehand placement when running, the transition between animations is a little janky (although the number of different animations in the game is incredible so it's forgivable) and the fact that it's really hard to adjust when the ball hits the net but other than that it's a great start.

I realized that part of my early confusion is that the demo screens that pop up between loads describe both control methods and not just M+. Once I started placing the ball with my follow though as opposed to trying to time it the game really clicked.

Yeh, I had some issues getting the old Wii Sports Tennis controls out of my mind at first, but now, I really feel like I've mastered it.

It's so satisfying playing a shot down the line when your opponent thinks you're going to hit the ball back across the court!

markatisu said:
That makes you the greatest player in the country then :D
I rule!

Banned
I played Virtua Tennis yesterday and it uses Motion Plus much more obviously and accurately, Grand Slam is more Wii Sportsy than it, but Grand Slam is a better game all round. I just wish the two games could meet in the middle.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
666 said:
I played Virtua Tennis yesterday and it uses Motion Plus much more obviously and accurately, Grand Slam is more Wii Sportsy than it
You are the first person I have seen say this. Everyone else (including every review I've seen) says the virtua tennis controls are a complete gimmick and feel like they were only put in there just to say they are there.

Dash Kappei

So, I've played this fella waxman83 and it looked like a cheater to me.
Or not? You tell me:

EVERY serve of his I responded to the referee was calling a point against me, even when my shot was inbound.
In end I managed to lose at tie-break 8 - 6 without EVER being able to even PLAY a point when he was serving.

666 said:
I played Virtua Tennis yesterday and it uses Motion Plus much more obviously and accurately, Grand Slam is more Wii Sportsy than it, but Grand Slam is a better game all round. I just wish the two games could meet in the middle.

First time I've read a preference for VT over GST in terms of controls and M+, and I've followed the games quite a bit.
I didn't have the chance to play with VT though, so I'd really like if you could expand on your impressions a bit.

Dash Kappei

Model 500 said:
Ok, I'm ready to jump online now :) added everyone up to jadedalyx from here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366032

I'm always using my 1 ability (Edberg's Hustle) 3 star custom character, would be nice to play against other custom characters :)

When I play friends I use my custom character, in ranked matches I sometimes use Sampras/Nadal otherwise I get destroyed, especially so by power-server. :-(

Dash Kappei said:
Or not? You tell me:

EVERY serve of his I responded to the referee was calling a point against me, even when my shot was inbound.
In end I managed to lose at tie-break 8 - 6 without EVER being able to even PLAY a point when he was serving.
This happened to me against some guy from Japan the other day. It also happened to someone playing against me yesterday, but not every serve. Some weird form of lag perhaps?

Nations Leaderboard Update:

I have now successfully placed Grenada into the top 30. :D

BorkBork

Dash Kappei said:
Or not? You tell me:

I bitched about this a little while ago. It's definitely a bug where a big serve is registered as a winner even if you hit it back. It happens a lot playing against Roddick or anyone with a big serve.

I managed to lose against someone because I could not win a single point on her serve because of that and subsequently lost the tiebreak as well. I was so pissed.

Dash Kappei

Well, once again fuck Nintendo's no patches policy then.
That is some awful bug on EA Sports' part, what a shame.

Do you think something could be done on EA's side of things through some servers' update fix?

Model 500

Holy shit, just had my first online session against another custom character who could play the game, damn, that was epic. One of my all time best online experiences! Thank you Faust 007, I hope you're here :)

Shnookums

What psychopath thought the "triplets" minigame/practice type (where you play alone against a doubles team) was a good idea? Uggh.

Just wanted to say in hard mode John mcenroe is bitch. Worst guy ever. HE comes on net every time fine but fucking my lobs and drop don't work some how when I play him. I can beat sampras, federar so easily on hard too_Over all I love the game.

john-mcenroe.jpg

BorkBork

:lol Yeah that would have been useful, oh I don't know, THREE MONTHS AGO for all the people having issues with it.

fabprems

yoopoo said:
The moron developers finally release a tutorial on how to properly play the game with M+

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tutorial-featurette-grand-slam/56320

So thoughtful of them not to include something like this in the game itself.

yeah, it's kind of late for a tutorial...

Well, I'm still ranked in the top150 online (~140), even if the VM+ calibration drive me nuts sometimes. I would have loved a recalibration à la Wiisports resort...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
LTTP, but this game is amazing. Best use of Wii controls so far? I think so, for me at least :D The graphics are spot on so it doesn't bother me like it does in other Wii games. I'll be playing this for a long time! The fact that you actually can walk with the analog seals the damn deal!!

Haven't tried online yet since I need to get better, but with Australian Open coming up, anyone in for a GAF tournament?

GWX

Teetris said:
LTTP, but this game is amazing. Best use of Wii controls so far? I think so, for me at least :D The graphics are spot on so it doesn't bother me like it does in other Wii games. I'll be playing this for a long time! The fact that you actually can walk with the analog seals the damn deal!!

Haven't tried online yet since I need to get better, but with Australian Open coming up, anyone in for a GAF tournament?

I don't think so. I never got M+ to work in this game. I do what is recommended: between points, I hold the remote in neutral position, as I do in real life tennis. But, from nothing, after 2 points or so, the M+ goes crazy and my racket goes all over the place.

Without M+, I think it is the best Wii tennis game, because it's a expanded version of Wii Sports Tennis (even if it has some troubles recognizing my top spins). With M+, it's pretty much broken.

Can anyone give me some useful advice? I read this thread, and got nothing.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
GWX said:
I don't think so. I never got M+ to work in this game. I do what is recommended: between points, I hold the remote in neutral position, as I do in real life tennis. But, from nothing, after 2 points or so, the M+ goes crazy and my racket goes all over the place.

Without M+, I think it is the best Wii tennis game, because it's a expanded version of Wii Sports Tennis (even if it has some troubles recognizing my top spins). With M+, it's pretty much broken.

Can anyone give me some useful advice? I read this thread, and got nothing.
Yeah, it's still broken but compared to what we have I love it. I just kept playing and got the WM+ down eventually, still lose points for the thing doing wrong though. I guess you can follow the gametrailers above video and other videos people might have posted on YT.

It's too bad they removed the 1:1, if a sequel comes I'd like it in at least as an option. Pretty much playing tennis like you do on a court at home would be amazing practice! It's not like tennis is hard to learn, but yes you can't really apply real tennis in this game. Just gotta find your own groove

GWX

Teetris said:
Yeah, it's still broken but compared to what we have I love it. I just kept playing and got the WM+ down eventually, still lose points for the thing doing wrong though. I guess you can follow the gametrailers above video and other videos people might have posted on YT.

It's too bad they removed the 1:1, if a sequel comes I'd like it in at least as an option. Pretty much playing tennis like you do on a court at home would be amazing practice! It's not like tennis is hard to learn, but yes you can't really apply real tennis in this game. Just gotta find your own groove

I saw that Gametrailers video before, didn't help me much.
I spent some hours with it, trying to make it work, but after that I gave up.
Would be nice to have a not broken tennis game withg licensed players AND 1:1 controls (like WSR Table Tennis), but for now I can live without the M+ or just WSR Table Tennis (I've playing the latter a lot actually, still can't beat Lucia).

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Played the game awhile back, but now I finally got an online connection to play online. Had some crazy epic matches (which I lost.... still a bit rusty) but I gotta say the game plays great even online.

I know it has it's problems, but for a wiimotion+ launch game, it's pretty darn accurate. I've only played five matches so far, but some of those were up there with the greatest online gaming moments in my life. This is still one of my favorite Wii games, and top 5 best motion-heavy games of all-time (IMO).

Any mention of the next Grand Slam Tennis from EA? I think this is similar to Tiger as in it's going to need two or three tries before they get it close to perfect (Tiger 10).

Dash Kappei

GWX said:
I don't think so. I never got M+ to work in this game.

I don't know how you could possibly be in this situation even after having watched the producer explanation's video (which should have been included in the game, most idiotic decisione EVER, it baffles me how clueless some people working in this industry are).
I do find it's impossible (for me) to play it well with M+ but no nunchuck support, since to properly swing you need to be facing the correct side and the AI implementation is awful at doing that.
So maybe you should try with the chuck if you haven't, give it some training and report back :)
Now Virtua Tennis 09, that is one awful M+ implementation (I own both).
This game's amazing and even with its quirks it's still the best use of M+, nothing in Resort come close even if I do like Table Tennis and Frisbee golf a lot.

Hopefully everything will be ironed out with the next one, it basically just needs another layer of polish on top and a proper career mode with more tournaments and a 1:1 mode added for us tennis players who want to swing with real tennis motion and rotate the remote 45 degree (like VT09) to resemble more how you hold a racket (this decision as well... lots of people were holding the remote this way and thus couldn't play well)

It's set in the stone the next one will be multiplatform, they've canned this one to come out straight with a Move/Natal/M+ version.

Skiesofwonder, ditto.

grimmbomb

^^^

Didn't they cancel GST for xbox and ps3 because the wii version bombed? I thought it was an indefinite hold(aka cancelled).

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
grimmbomb said:
^^^

Didn't they cancel GST for xbox and ps3 because the wii version bombed? I thought it was an indefinite hold(aka cancelled).
I thought they canceled it to put the team on EA active (plus).

Top Bottom