• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis (Wii)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Picked up the GST and M+ bundle. Played a few minutes of GST and I really don't like it, so I'll probably sell it.

Honestly, I didn't buy the pack for GST. I used JB's trade-in deal so I managed to score the two for AU$60, so I think I'll just sell GST as near-new (which it is) and see how much of that $60 I can make back.

Much more keen for Tiger.

CaVaYeRo

EatChildren said:
Picked up the GST and M+ bundle. Played a few minutes of GST and I really don't like it, so I'll probably sell it.

That is your problem. It's a great, difficult game. Tell me when you're 2-3 hours in.

Dash Kappei said:
Sorry mate, I'm Italian :lol

Listen, going OT here, is it true that Bowling and Tennis (besides Table Tennis) are all making a comeback in Resort? I thought it was only Golf the one from Wii Sports to be there for Resort as well.

Do we have a thread to exchange friendcodes/nick for this game?

Nah, bowling and Golf. Nine more holes besides the original ones. I'll post more impressions and videos at WSR's thread. I really liked playing it here in Madrid, more than the stressful event chances.

I don't know if we have a thread!

dk_ said:
The game is still wowing me. The last couple of days I explored the online mode and I'm blown away by the precision M+ adds. More people need to play this game!

yes! spread the word!!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
CaVaYeRo said:
That is your problem. It's a great, difficult game. Tell me when you're 2-3 hours in.

I was expecting a reply like this :lol. I'm just not a big fan of Tennis games. Even in Wii Sports it was friends and family whove played the Tennis so much more than me, while I really liked th Golf and Bowling.

Even if I got used to the M+ controls for GST I just don't think it would be the kind of game I'd play often, simply because it's a tennis game.

But as I said, I mostly bought it for a cheap M+ should I decide to sell the game. That way when I get Wii Sports Resort I'll have two M+ having payed very little for the second.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
i'm sitting here while the bf and a mate play tennis VERY loudly, and i noticed something - the umpire up in the chair looks like a fat sean penn :lol

EatChildren

Decided to give the game another whirl today and I guess it 'clicked', as I'm far more impressed than I originally was. M+ controls like a charm when you know what you're doing, and something about the game 'feels' just right.

I also had to laugh at Sharapova; the grunts are there and in full force.

I'm still going to sell it though. Tennis games are just not for me, so I'd rather not have it sit on a shelf collecting dust. I did like what I eventually got used to though, and can see why others find it so fun.

dannie

CaVaYeRo said:
Nah, bowling and Golf. Nine more holes besides the original ones. I'll post more impressions and videos at WSR's thread. I really liked playing it here in Madrid, more than the stressful event chances.
what are your favorite sport at WSR?^_^

Haunted

I'm having a lot of fun with this, even though the singleplayer mode/content is far too limited, imo. Both VT and TW provide far more options to spend your time meaningfully.

I guess this'll stay a multiplayer favourite for a good long while, though. :D

EatChildren said:
Decided to give the game another whirl today and I guess it 'clicked', as I'm far more impressed than I originally was. M+ controls like a charm when you know what you're doing, and something about the game 'feels' just right.

I also had to laugh at Sharapova; the grunts are there and in full force.

I'm still going to sell it though. Tennis games are just not for me, so I'd rather not have it sit on a shelf collecting dust. I did like what I eventually got used to though, and can see why others find it so fun.
That's reasonable.

Choc

Banned
Just won wimbledon

The back and forth on this game is phenomonal, you always know when you make a mistake why.

EA has somehow put together a masterpiece first crack at a tennis game.

I notice this is coming on 360 as well, which i think is a mistake. M+ and Wii make this game and if Nintendo and third parties can capitilise well on this new system, then Wii is up there for hardcore with PS3 and 360 potentially.

Memles

Enjoying the game, but agree with the above regarding the lack of single player variety - once I play through the Grand Slams, I'm not sure I'll be motivated to keep playing by myself, compared to Tiger where there's a bit more variety to what you're able to do.

But the gameplay itself is darn solid - I'm considering making the move to Hard, but while I'm pretty destructive against baseliners I'm fairly certain that serve/volley players are still going to give me trouble, and thus don't want to make the move until I've got the four trophies out of the way.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I really hate that gaming journalism sites frequently review games in a way that's different from the final version. For instance, what's the point in reviewing a game which has a supposedly strong multiplayer component when your preview version doesn't have multiplayer?

The same goes for that GST review.

[EDIT] Okay, at least they apologised to everyone and used the word 'catastrophe'. I appreciate that, but still :/.

Christine

Eteric Rice said:
You would think that a place that reviews games would use normal means to review games (as in, a normal goddam console).

Sheesh.

A similar problem might just as easily have happened to a retail unit. It make sense for game media to have debug units because it lets publishers send them early builds for preview without having to submit a gold master to Nintendo and ordering a tiny run of certified discs. Given that they've got these debug units hooked to displays, it usually makes sense to use them to review games.

farnham

Banned
im giving props to eurogamer

they are going back and admitting that they did wrong

that is not something that easy..

markatisu

BorkBork said:
Pretty much anyone who had played the game knew that there was something fishy about that review. Good on them for owning up to their error.

Yeah we all knew the first review was not right, good for them to take readers comments and say "what's going on"

d+pad

OK, so I finally ventured into online play last night - and I'm hoping my experience was just a fluke. I played (or tried to play) five matches online - the first disconnected before the match even started, and then three out of the four I actually played were laggy as hell. Two of those laggy matches were against people on other continents, but one of them was against someone here in the US. Even the non-laggy match included a little bit of lag, but it was so much better than the other matches that I couldn't really complain.

So, have other people here had the same problems? If so, what can you do about it, if anything? I was hoping there was an option to just play against people in your own country/continent, but I couldn't find that anywhere.

Another thing that was more than a little annoying was to find many people spamming the net during online play. There's no reason EA should have made net play so dominant - it's nearly impossible to pass someone with a groundstroke, and lobs only work so much. I really don't want to have to resort to it myself, but I guess I'll have to if I want to play online.

Only other comment: I wish EA would have added more to the Grand Slam mode. A tournament in between each Grand Slam would have been OK, though even more would have been better. Maybe next time?

Sloane

Banned
wackojackosnose said:
Heh, Eurogamer are re-reviewing it. Turns out Wii Motion+ doesn't work well with the debug unit they reviewed it with hence the low score.
Wow, hadn't thought I'd actually be right about this:

Sloane said:
I have no idea what Eurogamer played or didn't play but it can't have been the GST I am playing.
:lol

But, yeah, at least they're admitting their mistake.

yoopoo

Banned
This game has some severe usability issues.

-There is no in-game tutorial or instructions on how to hold the wiimote, I had to go to ea forums to figure that out.
-Even on easy, the net players will slaughter you 90% of the time.
-Why the hell is there no pointer based contorls in the menu gui?
-And the biggest issue, WM+. Dunno if its the programming or the device itself. But WM+ fucks up too quickly, its great for the few minutes when it works but its really fustrating when you loose points because the game doesn't recognize the swing. Sometimes I have to unplug and then re-plug the M+ because holding it still for 2 secs done nothing.

On top of that the commentary is crap, the lines are repeated more than in Madworld. "Hahah this is exhibition sort of tennis"...well yes, I'm playing an exhibition game -_-

yoopoo said:
-There is no in-game tutorial or instructions on how to hold the wiimote, I had to go to ea forums to figure that out.

Yeah, a bit more support ingame would have been useful. As it was, I relied on tips here and went in prepared.

Even on easy, the net players will slaughter you 90% of the time.

It is difficult, but you will improve and the game will become challenging, rather than rock-solid.

Why the hell is there no pointer based contorls in the menu gui?

Yeah, very annoying - I don't know why pointer controls aren't mandatory by now.

And the biggest issue, WM+. Dunno if its the programming or the device itself. But WM+ fucks up too quickly, its great for the few minutes when it works but its really fustrating when you loose points because the game doesn't recognize the swing. Sometimes I have to unplug and then re-plug the M+ because holding it still for 2 secs done nothing.

Never had any problems with it, but I always, always bring my hands back to a "neutral" position in front of my body between swings.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
yoopoo said:
This game has some severe usability issues.

Terrible, terrible mistake on Ea's part and Nintendo should have made it mandatory to have a M+ tutorial as well.

-Even on easy, the net players will slaughter you 90% of the time.

Nope.
Just on hard they're really challenging to me but still doable.

On top of that the commentary is crap, the lines are repeated more than in Madworld. "Hahah this is exhibition sort of tennis"...well yes, I'm playing an exhibition game -_-

Yes, commentary is terrible.

The Career mode is disappointing as well.
Just the Slams? Are you fuckin' kidding me?

Cosmonaut X said:
yoopoo said:
And the biggest issue, WM+. Dunno if its the programming or the device itself. But WM+ fucks up too quickly, its great for the few minutes when it works but its really fustrating when you loose points because the game doesn't recognize the swing. Sometimes I have to unplug and then re-plug the M+ because holding it still for 2 secs done nothing.

Never had any problems with it, but I always, always bring my hands back to a "neutral" position in front of my body between swings.

This.
Never had any problem after playing this way (also read my posts above if you want some more tips).

Also, remeber guys that M+ reads your positions in a 3D environment, if you play the game like real tennis then your character will never fuck up a swing (like standing to shoot a backhand when you wanted to do a forehand).
What I mean by playing like real tennis?
Do a body rotation some degrees to the LEFT or to the RIGHT when swinging, that's it, and you'll see your guy's arm always opening in the direction you wanted him to.

Dash Kappei said:
Also, remeber guys that M+ reads your positions in a 3D environment, if you play the game like real tennis then your character will never fuck up a swing (like standing to shoot a backhand when you wanted to do a forehand).
What I mean by playing like real tennis?
Do a body rotation some degrees to the LEFT or to the RIGHT when swinging, that's it, and you'll see your guy's arm always opening in the direction you wanted him to.
Nope not true. I've rotated my shoulders to do a backhand and my character will still be in position or try to run and do a forehand instead. While its generally pretty well on, there are times it will be wrong.

The more I play this, the more it's a shock contender for my Game of the Year (it'll probably end up in the top five, I doubt I'll put it ahead of the likes of Little King's Story when push comes to shove, but it's a very nice surprise regardless) - Purely on the basis of multi-player, which is incredibly rare for me. But the controls work incredibly when you get used to them. Up to rank 300 online now. :)

Shnookums

Robert-GCA said:
Nope not true. I've rotated my shoulders to do a backhand and my character will still be in position or try to run and do a forehand instead. While its generally pretty well on, there are times it will be wrong.

Yeah the game definitely could have used some fine tuning in this area. I am able to sometimes fend off the run around by starting my backswing early, but you if you do not follow through with the shot in time the player will still run around the shot and then you're really screwed because you are set up for a backhand when your player is positioned for a forehand. At least the game is consistent in doing this though (happens regularly when you player is required to run from one side of the court to the other to chase down a crosscourt shot). The problem is you have to play a lot and learn to anticipate and work against this AI behavior which shouldn't be the case because in tennis running around your backhand or forehand isn't something most players do with such regularity. It's counter-intuitive.

edit: just realized I should clarify I am speaking only of the times when your player is drawn from one side of the court to the other. during all other circumstances the player lines up for a forehand or backhand as expected, but when drawn wide it regularly attempts to run around those shots.

Dash Kappei

Robert-GCA said:

Well that's it then, you should play with the nunchuck.
I should have clarified though I didn't think anybody was still playing chuck-less...

Shnookums

Dash Kappei said:
Well that's it then, you should play with the nunchuck.
I should have clarified though I didn't think anybody was still playing chuck-less...

It's funny how hard it can be to talk about this game because of the various ways it can be played. I found the nunchuk too hard at first but now that I have the strokes mastered I should go back to it.

fabprems

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/grand-slam-tennis-review

And in Grand Slam Tennis's case, they may be entirely moot, for this is a game which absolutely requires a WMP to unlock its potential. Despite our initial - and entirely incorrect - reservations and problems with Grand Slam Tennis, our re-assessment of EA's new brand couldn't really contrast more heavily. Far from being "crippled by unintuitive controls", the reality is that it's beautifully intuitive, and just about shades Virtua Tennis 2009 on Wii by simply having a more satisfying feel to it. It might feel a little lightweight as an all-round package, but as a multiplayer game it's hard to top. It's a close-run thing, but as far as tennis titles go right now, this sits right at the top of the pile, and is a cracking advert for the Wii MotionPlus.

8/10

DGRP

When I play GST, it almost feels like my Motion+ is malfunctionning, when I play Tiger Woods, it works fine.

Or is it just the horrible experience of getting used to GST?

Raide

Yikes this game is a bit brutal. For the first hour or so I was getting my ass kicked. It really does take a few hours to adjust to the Motion+ feel and then you can start winning a few matches...maybe. :lol

My 10 year old son is beating me every single time. He just shakes the wiimote instead of using a swinging motion while I'm playing using normal tennis swings. We're both using motion plus. I thought motion+ would get rid of 'waggle,' but apparently it does not in GST.

Amneisac

DGRP said:
When I play GST, it almost feels like my Motion+ is malfunctionning, when I play Tiger Woods, it works fine.

Or is it just the horrible experience of getting used to GST?

Got this for my dad for Father's Day. We had a hell of a time getting the controls down. If you try to play like real tennis is registers your "backswing" as a forward screen. We also had huge problems with the guy squaring up to hit a backhand when he should forehand, etc.

Also, the Wii seemed laggy on his 60" LCD so maybe that was part of the problem. I guess maybe the Wii just can't hang with the big screen action.

plank

Leon S. Kennedy said:
My 10 year old son is beating me every single time. He just shakes the wiimote instead of using a swinging motion while I'm playing using normal tennis swings. We're both using motion plus. I thought motion+ would get rid of 'waggle,' but apparently it does not in GST.

Sucks to be you.

Dash Kappei

Leon S. Kennedy said:
No it doesn't.

Well, what you're sayin' is still bullshit.

You can't win somebody just wagglin'.
You can't control where you want the ball to go nor picking youselft between topspin, forehand and such.

Unless you're really really crappy and can't hit how and where do you want the ball to go yourself that is.

Brashnir

Leon S. Kennedy said:

As I was saying upthread, this is a good game, but as a showcase for M+, it's a complete failure. It's all just waggle imitating button presses - which makes sense since the game is also coming to 360/PS3.

Top Bottom