• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis (Wii)

Got the game early and got two hours in last night before my arm told me to stop.

Man you guys were not joking when you said it was hard... Also even though I have read this thread and thought I was ready I still misunderstood how the aiming worked. :lol

But in the end I started to get it I think. I got so happy when I whipped Stefan Edberg in my service game. Then I got beaten bad... He is the fucking devil himself when he goes to the net... Twice in a row it looked like this. He serves, I return, he has already gone up to the net and returns it so I have no chance in hell getting to it. Utter utter Bastard.

Kinda hoping my friends will bail on tonight so I get to spend Friday night playing grand slam. :)

CoolS

After like 4 hours or so in, I finally started to win some of my games. I still have a lot of problems with overswinging because I simply don't think enough about it when I do and just try to waggle. It is really heard to unlearn years of Wii Tennis waggling ^^

But I made the most amazing shot yesterday. I was on the far right of the court and played the ball backhand. I accidentally sliced it more the I wanted to. Firtst it looked like it was going out, but then it returned back on court. SO awesome.

And I got a question. I play on easyan 95% od the time my opponent can't get my topspin crosscourt backhand. Is that normal? Because i was starting to think that my backhand might be really good :lol

goompapa

donkey show said:
Twist your wrist more and follow through. You'll start to see the difference from there.

Yeah thanks, I am starting to get it now. My problem was I use to swing like I would I tennis racket: large full swing motion, with full shoulder rotation or what not.
But really, all I need to do, is to make small compact swings leaving no room for excessive, incorrect motions, more like table tennis actually.

Placement is still kind of tough, but I have to say. Hitting a down the line shot is extremely satisfying.

Haunted

Oh, I like this game a lot. Much better than Virtua Tennis (had the chance to try out the latter, but we quickly returned to GST).

Still not 100% accurate with some shots (especially backhand crosses), but otherwise, M+ is working pretty well. I like it.

dk_

Haunted said:
Oh, I like this game a lot. Much better than Virtua Tennis (had the chance to try out the latter, but we quickly returned to GST).

Still not 100% accurate with some shots (especially backhand crosses), but otherwise, M+ is working pretty well. I like it.
I can teach you.

Haunted said:

I thought VT releases on the 19th here in Germany?

Captain N

I got this game along with Tiger Woods Bundle the other day. my power supply for the Wii was left in Pa(I just moved to Ca) and it will be getting here today. My plan is the set up wireless internet as well as the Wii if anyone wants to play online let me know!

pakkit said:
Someone didn't watch their MotionPlus instructional video!
Ya I didn't have the game yet...and it sounded weird. But after picking up the game last night I saw it.

I put in a good 1.5 hours of play. There were times where it didn't register a swing or would swing when I didn't do anything which was annoying. Overall though I'm happy with the game. My last match of the night went 4-3 (7-4 tiebreaker) against Stitch on medium whom I intentionally picked as he's one of the weakest in the game. I kept getting my ass handed to me by the top ranked players in straight sets. This game is gonna kick my ass for quite a while haha.

One thing that I wish was changed was that when you play a singles match and you want a random opponent, that it didn't show you who your opponent is until you got into the match. I will usually just close my eyes, hit 2 a few times, then hit A just so that I don't know who it is I'll be playing against.

Robert-GCA said:
Ya I didn't have the game yet...and it sounded weird. But after picking up the game last night I saw it.

But did motion plus on Grand Slam work like the promo video posted earlier in the thread where the avatar mirrored your backhand, forhand stance and swing arm height position?

Kevtones

I'm a little less keen on the game than I was a couple days ago, mostly because of the quirks and consistency of registering. I wish they would have implemented a Tiger-like 'HOLD B' when you want your shot to be registered, that seems like it would really, really help this game.

Wildstar75 said:
But did motion plus on Grand Slam work like the promo video posted earlier in the thread where the avatar mirrored your backhand, forhand stance and swing arm height position?
Pretty much for the most part yup. I'm gonna play some more tonight for sure. I think I started playing at like 11pm or so. i know that as I swung my hands side to side in front of me waiting on a serve it was done in game.

maxmars

Well this is great. :D

Just finished my first online match, played with my sons all evening (avid WST players) and it's officially passed the test. You do have to grab the wiimote correctly or it's going to fail a lot.

I feel I'm not grasping something here.

Whenever the opponent charges the net, it's like insta-lose for me. He'll knock the ball to the side of the court that I can not feasibly be on and my character only seems to dive for it occasionally.

kurosawa

the usual story: 1st hour thinking the thing must be broken, then it clicked! once you start to grab the wiimote like a racket, in between your hands in front of you, do the movement of swing and get back at the middle, everything works perfectly.

this is the best tennis game I have ever played and it's so gratifying to see the ball going where we want it to. Online is smooth and lag-free, at least these 5 or 6 hours I spent online today :D

kurosawa

ShockingAlberto said:

Whenever the opponent charges the net, it's like insta-lose for me. He'll knock the ball to the side of the court that I can not feasibly be on and my character only seems to dive for it occasionally.

It depends on the opponents abilities really. If I see a guy really good on the net, I just lob every ball I can, and make him run around the back, until he makes a mistake (or me). '
If it's the opposite, a Nadal guy, I bring him to the net, or move up myself so he doesn't win me with his fast balls.

legend166

Wildstar75 said:

I figured out what was wrong with this. Don't do big movements. Just move your wrist slightly. I thought mine was broken to, but I worked it out.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
ShockingAlberto said:

Serve and Volley opponents are a bitch. Couple of things you can do:

-Aim your return so that they cannot charge the net after they serve. Force them deep and hit them hard.

-When they are charging the net, DON'T lob right away, they'll kill you. Instead play to their weak side and look for an opening. The ability to hit down the line is crucial.

-While they are at the net, lob and drop shot. There's still a good chance they will spike you down if you lob, so try to get it up as high as possible but not out. It's pretty tough to do I know, believe me. Drop shots sometimes work as they will either hit the net or hit it out on occasions. No guarantees either way.

The best defense against serve and volley really is to prevent them from doing it in the first place and capitalize on your openings when they're available. Hit for winners and go for it. Or serve and volley yourself.

maxmars

legend166 said:
I figured out what was wrong with this. Don't do big movements. Just move your wrist slightly. I thought mine was broken to, but I worked it out.

Also, keep the racket "neutral" whenever possible (e.g. straight, not forehand or backhand) so that it doesn't have to recognize whether you are simply changing posture or actually trying to swing.

Serve and volley man. Serve and volley! Like som other mentioned above I got tired being beaten by the tactic so I joined them. Works disgustingly well :lol

Now I am in a 6 match winning streak in singelplayer. I won hewitts golden speed too :D

I tried online and played as Stefan Edberg. Serve and volley =P Lifted Swedens position from 21 to 20. No lag at all in the game. Was like singelplayer, very impressed.

Had to take a break after that. Two hours is about how long I can play this game at a time before getting too sore and tired.

Man, my love for this game is just growing.

Mr Rivuz

I bought the game yesterday, at the beginning i was thinking this game sucked hard... Then i understood it was me the one that sucks :lol
Learned how the controls work and now the game is getting always better and better. I still lose every single match even at easy, but i'm sure i'll improve with some practice :D

Ydahs

I've played for about 5 hours and I can honestly say that this is one of the most intuitive games I have ever played. This is what the Wii was made for.

It took me an hour to get used to it, but three or four hours to finally win my first game on easy. I went through all four cups with the result of 1W/15L :lol

Though since it's restarted I've won 3 of 4. I think I might be one of those serve and volleyers, but I don't do it often, just when the opportunity is present. Would you consider it 'cheap'? I wonder if CPU on hard will be able to effectively counter it, becuase on easy the CPU falls for it most of the time.

I played Wii Sports Tennis a few days back, but I don't think I'll ever be able to return to it after GST w/ M+. This is the Wii Tennis benchmark, let's see if EA (or any other company) can improve on it.

I cannot wait for Tiger Woods (I live in AU) becuase from what I've read the M+ integration is nearly flawless. I cannot wait to see how good gaming gets, especially sport titles with well integrated M+. I now want Zelda M+ more than ever!

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
picked this up today at EB - just in case it sucked i could use the 7 day return - along with 2 motionplus attachments. at first i couldn't even play, as my softmodded wii was erroring out - all fixed now.. had a few games with the bf and we're loving it.

it's hilarious playing with 2 ppl and i can really feel myslef improving the more we play. it's definitely true about maintaining the proper posture/stance otherwise it can misregister you changing position as a swing. frustrating at first but when you learn to start fighting against the mechanics it 'clicks'. reall awesome, and can't wait to try out tiger woods when it's out.

also, hearing the wiimote tinnily scream 'you can NOT be serious!' when playing and losing as john mcenroe had us in hysterics :lol

CaVaYeRo

Ydahs said:
I've played for about 5 hours and I can honestly say that this is one of the most intuitive games I have ever played. This is what the Wii was made for.

It took me an hour to get used to it, but three or four hours to finally win my first game on easy. I went through all four cups with the result of 1W/15L :lol

Though since it's restarted I've won 3 of 4. I think I might be one of those serve and volleyers, but I don't do it often, just when the opportunity is present. Would you consider it 'cheap'? I wonder if CPU on hard will be able to effectively counter it, becuase on easy the CPU falls for it most of the time.

I played Wii Sports Tennis a few days back, but I don't think I'll ever be able to return to it after GST w/ M+. This is the Wii Tennis benchmark, let's see if EA (or any other company) can improve on it.

I cannot wait for Tiger Woods (I live in AU) becuase from what I've read the M+ integration is nearly flawless. I cannot wait to see how good gaming gets, especially sport titles with well integrated M+. I now want Zelda M+ more than ever!

Yeah! I'm with you :D

BorkBork

I think medium difficulty is perfect for me right now. I can usually win against the tougher guys, but not sweep. If I sit back too much, I really get punished. I'm trying not to serve and volley if I can help it, as I don't like the style. I can see myself noticeably improve on my defensive game over the last few days, but my service game still needs major work.

One thing I want EA to incorporate into the next tennis game is a fatigue factor. That would make the game even more strategic if guys can wear out others just by grinding.

So in summary, the game is occasionally frustrating and the controls are by no means perfect, but overall very very satisfying.

Koshiro

BorkBork said:
One thing I want EA to incorporate into the next tennis game is a fatigue factor. That would make the game even more strategic if guys can wear out others just by grinding.
I believe the custom players have this - they have stamina that you can improve. Basically I think they start to not manage to get to balls in time and stuff, but can't be certain.

Online is a pleasant surprise, haven't touched a friends code and have added a couple of people to a buddy list, which seems like an alien concept in a Wii game.

My arm is definitely feeling the pain btw - trouble is as soon as you start trying to take it easy wii sports style and move less, you can't hit shit.

BorkBork

Koshiro said:
I believe the custom players have this - they have stamina that you can improve. Basically I think they start to not manage to get to balls in time and stuff, but can't be certain.

Online is a pleasant surprise, haven't touched a friends code and have added a couple of people to a buddy list, which seems like an alien concept in a Wii game.

My arm is definitely feeling the pain btw - trouble is as soon as you start trying to take it easy wii sports style and move less, you can't hit shit.

Really? I don't see a stat for fatigue or stamina anywhere... maybe that's why I keep choking when I'm 2 sets up. :lol

I find that using different characters can help with the swings. Using my character versus Federer is like night and day. Light swings will get me ridiculous winners with Fed, whereas I really have to whip the controller with my custom guy.

Last night was kinda weird. Started the Grand Slam tournemant and made it to the quarters in the Australian Open, eliminated first round in the next (US Open?), and then won Wimbledon in straight sets in the semi's over Nadal and McEnroe in the finals all on medium. Guess its just certain play styles I have issues against.

I'm still having issues with swings not being recognized and sometimes a swing recognized when I didn't hardly move. But overall one of the most enjoyable games in quite a while for me.

Jaruru

I actually sweat a bit when play this game. still practicing
the online game is smooth.

registered the EA online
are we getting a code or the EA username?

mine is Jaruru, add me if you want to ^^ (let me know when you do)

Haunted said:

So where did you guys get it? I searched around town yesterday but couldn't find it.

In other news I got GST and it's pretty great thus far :D .

Brashnir

Played this game a bunch over the last couple days. I really enjoy the game, but don't see why they released this alongside Motion+ other than as a cheap cash in. After several hours playing, I realized that the best way to play was sitting down using extremely small, economical motions so as not to confuse the game.

As far as I can tell, M+ adds absolutely nothing to this game other than a little more "accuracy" in your guy's animations when he's standing around between points, and even that's pretty dodgy. The game would probably play as well or better on a traditional controller. I guess we'll find out when the 360/PS3 versions come out later this year.

Ydahs

Brashnir said:
Played this game a bunch over the last couple days. I really enjoy the game, but don't see why they released this alongside Motion+ other than as a cheap cash in. After several hours playing, I realized that the best way to play was sitting down using extremely small, economical motions so as not to confuse the game.

As far as I can tell, M+ adds absolutely nothing to this game other than a little more "accuracy" in your guy's animations when he's standing around between points, and even that's pretty dodgy. The game would probably play as well or better on a traditional controller. I guess we'll find out when the 360/PS3 versions come out later this year.
Just wondering, did you try the game without M+ to compare the differences?

Nabs

Brashnir said:

you're doing it wrong.

plank

Brashnir said:

Must be playing the wrong game.

Ydahs

When playing the game, does anyone do a full swing like you're actually playing tennis? My swings are not waggle, but are also not full swings. It's pretty much in between as it's more than waggle but not a full on swing.

Regardless, after five or six hours of play (and finally some intense wins) my right bicep is really beginning to hurt.

I do like half swings I think. Sometimes I do more of a follow through when I really wanna make sure where to put the ball, especially with my wrist.

Ydahs

Guys, I need some help with serving. Both online and offline my opponents do powerful serves, while mine are, nine out of ten times, crappy and slow...

Also, am I like the only person online playing with my custom character? I've played four online games and three were Federer.

BorkBork

Ydahs said:
Guys, I need some help with serving. Both online and offline my opponents do powerful serves, while mine are, nine out of ten times, crappy and slow...

Also, am I like the only person online playing with my custom character? I've played four online games and three were Federer.

Don't use your half star character and expect to serve like Roddick. Eventually your custom character will get better serves, but it will be weak for a while. As long as you hit down at the top of the ball toss, you should be good.

I do mostly full swings, especially for crosscourt forehands. I shorten my swing for straight shots and backhands for the most part.

Brashnir

Nabs said:
you're doing it wrong.

but yet I keep winning.

Ydahs said:
When playing the game, does anyone do a full swing like you're actually playing tennis? My swings are not waggle, but are also not full swings. It's pretty much in between as it's more than waggle but not a full on swing.

Regardless, after five or six hours of play (and finally some intense wins) my right bicep is really beginning to hurt.

I took big swings at first until I realized that it didn't matter and it was much more accurate if you barely move at all.

Brashnir said:
but yet I keep winning.

I took big swings at first until I realized that it didn't matter and it was much more accurate if you barely move at all.

Sounds like the wiimote the way it was at launch all over again. Small wrist flicks. I thought M+ would fix this.

Brashnir

Bearillusion said:
Sounds like the wiimote the way it was at launch all over again. Small wrist flicks. I thought M+ would fix this.

I don't think Motion+ is at fault on this one, to be fair. It's a multiplatform game that also works without M+ on the Wii.

I think they just launched it alongside M+ to get some extra sales out of it.

You think allowing short movements is a flaw? Play it as lame as you like but don't blame the game for it. The game allows both play styles.

Personally I like getting into it and doing the motions fully and really feeling the control over the ball. That increases my fun playing the game. Whats the point otherwise?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
PuppetSlave said:
You think allowing short movements is a flaw? Play it as lame as you like but don't blame the game for it. The game allows both play styles.

Personally I like getting into it and doing the motions fully and really feeling the control over the ball. That increases my fun playing the game. Whats the point otherwise?

yeah, gotta agree with this. i did test the 'flicking motions' thing sitting on the couch and it did indeed work (though i couldnt' get any control over spin/direction etc) - its more fun hitting around standing up.

i'm really improving in being able to place the ball where i want on the court and i've had some fantastic singles and 2 player matches. loving this game - we'd never have touched a tennis game if it was on the ps3/xbox; even though we play those more than the wii - the appeal IS the motion controls and almost belting eachother in the head with the wiimote :p having heaps of fun, and that's all that matters really. my shoulder is killing me!

VerTiGo

Banned
Do I just have to plug-in the Wii Motion Plus for this and Tiger 10 to play the game with it or does it have to be selected on an options menu somewhere?

rabhw

How does the star rating for your custom character work? It seems to just arbitrarily add to my total. Does the difficulty I play at contribute to how often I get my star total increased?

Top Bottom