• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports UFC releasing June 17th, Bruce Lee as pre-order bonus

He's only been on one PPV in the past 3 years. So..yeah.

I just watch the fights these days, and nothing else. So if they mention him 24/7 in interviews/promos I would miss that.

Yeah and that was for the title VS jon bones jones....so if your such a avid fan that watches EVERY PPV how would you not know who he is.

Could Bruce Lee have taken these modern MMA fighters, or would he get bodied? I honestly have no idea.

Kinda' like asking how Wilt Chamberlain would do in today's NBA.

If we're putting Wilt in a time machine and bringing him to 2014 as he was in 1960, he would probably struggle a bit.

If we instead pretend that Wilt was born in 1990 and had access to modern sports science and nutrition and grew up being groomed for today's NBA- he'd be an absolute beast.

I think the same is true of Bruce Lee. Had he grown up in a world where MMA was the big thing for a martial artist to do, he'd be terrorizing everyone from lightweight on down. Terrorizing them.

JustinBB7

Yeah and that was for the title VS jon bones jones....so if your such a avid fan that watches EVERY PPV how would you not know who he is.

I only saw 1 of his fights, that he lost, and then I never saw him again. Why would I remember him? I'm not an avid fan anymore like I said before, I just watch the fights and don't watch much else.

I only saw 1 of his fights, that he lost, and then I never saw him again. Why would I remember him? I'm not an avid fan anymore like I said before, I just watch the fights and don't watch much else.

You said you watched EVERY PPV. Then asked who Alexander was. I see b/s I call people on it simple as that. And why would you remember him? Well ya know because he's the only one that came remotely close to taking bones jones title away? ya know one of the best fights in recent memory?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
P1nICLS.gif

JustinBB7

You said you watched EVERY PPV. Then asked who Alexander was. I see b/s I call people on it simple as that. And why would you remember him? Well ya know because he's the only one that came remotely close to taking bones jones title away? ya know one of the best fights in recent memory?

I remember the fight, just not who it was. He's only been on 1 PPV in the past 3 years. I dunno why you're so upset about this, I'm not bashing him, I saw the fight, it was good. But never saw him again after that. (he's only been on fox after that) I don't remember a lot of fighters names.

But whatever makes you feel better. If you don't believe I watched them then don't lol.

Bruce Lee huh? That could be interesting. Although I'm not sure how he would fare with takedowns/ground game. I'm sure they will bump his stats up no matter what, they can't have him suck at a crucial aspect of the game.

I remember the fight, just not who it was. He's only been on 1 PPV in the past 3 years. I dunno why you're so upset about this, I'm not bashing him, I saw the fight, it was good. But never saw him again after that. (he's only been on fox after that) I don't remember a lot of fighters names.

But whatever makes you feel better. If you don't believe I watched them then don't lol.

I just find it incredibly hard to believe that someone says that they have watched every PPV and most of the free on FOX fights and not know who he is. I obviously wasn't the only one that thought that was odd in this thread.

I consider myself a big fan. I know who Gus is but didn't really get to see him fight live until the Jones fight on PPV because I don't always catch every free event.

It makes sense to put Gus on the cover given the rematch with JJ will likely be the biggest fight the UFC put on this year unless Ronda vs Gina gets signed.

Redshirt

Banned
Excellent. I'll be there day one.

As for the Lee bonus, meh. Never was crazy about Dana White associating the UFC with Bruce Lee.

Official cover was released an hour ago.

1XsWl5M.jpg

Not feeling that cover at all.

Father of MMA according to Dana White.

LOL modern (western) MMA perhaps. Many of the traditional fighting systems already include concepts of grappling and ground fighting, but in a real fight you really don't want to be on the ground so there often isn't as much emphasis on that.

Anyway it's pretty cool that they included Bruce Lee, hope his moves are fluid. Hopefully all animations in general are non-clunky.

There's a bit of controversy about that, actually. Gene never passes up a chance to remind everyone that Lee was a student of his, but neither Lee nor anyone close to him ever mentioned it.

I read the account of someone saying that Bruce and Gene did spar and Gene beat him with his Judo. Being that Bruce was constantly striving to add effective elements from all martial arts into Jeet Kune Do, I could see him training with Gene occasionally. Supposedly Gene was the one who sent Chuck Norris to train with Bruce as well. Obviously all this stuff is hearsay though. Gene's known to have a few stories about conflicts with various Movie/TV Star martial artists. Hard to say what's really true.

Hahaha. I don't think they will take it that far, but it would be awesome to have at it.Chuck VS Bruce.

You mean something like this?

I read the account of someone saying that Bruce and Gene did spar and Gene beat him with his Judo. Being that Bruce was constantly striving to add effective elements from all martial arts into Jeet Kune Do, I could see him training with Gene occasionally. Supposedly Gene was the one who sent Chuck Norris to train with Bruce as well. Obviously all this stuff is hearsay though. Gene's known to have a few stories about conflicts with various Movie/TV Star martial artists. Hard to say what's really true.

You mean something like this?

Oh yes that fight is glorious. Now let me control Bruce. I need it. NOW

rvy

Banned
Please don't fuck this up EA. Please let this not be a stupid gimmick. Make him legit. I want full MMA attire and some special holds.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I consider myself a big fan. I know who Gus is but didn't really get to see him fight live until the Jones fight on PPV because I don't always catch every free event.

It makes sense to put Gus on the cover given the rematch with JJ will likely be the biggest fight the UFC put on this year unless Ronda vs Gina gets signed.

why is Gus on the cover? should've been Chad Mendes.
Pretty sure Gus won a fan vote, it was just coincidence that Jones was already on there. Uncrowned People's Champ confirmed.

Madness

He would've dominated at early MMA but he'd have been in a different weight class. The sport is just too different. And unless Bruce worked on things like grappling, takedowns, ground and pound, he'd have trouble too. It's why you don't just see our Kung fu or karate in the sport anymore. Or why pure jiu-jitsu fighters are dwindling.

The cover art is just terrible though.

He would've dominated at early MMA but he'd have been in a different weight class. The sport is just too different. And unless Bruce worked on things like grappling, takedowns, ground and pound, he'd have trouble too. It's why you don't just see our Kung fu or karate in the sport anymore. Or why pure jiu-jitsu fighters are dwindling.

The cover art is just terrible though.

Machida and Hall both utilize their Karate in their striking. I don't know of anyone using a Chinese Martial Art though. Lots of Kickboxing variations and the occasional Capoeira is used as well.

Official cover was released an hour ago.

1XsWl5M.jpg

anyone else think the EA and UFC logos are oddly placed under Jones's leg? just looks off to me, why wouldn't they move both logos down below his striking leg, or at least put the EA logo under the UFC logo? lol

Pimpwerx

I was interested in this game before, but now my interest is really up. This better be available digitally, and reviews better get out early. PEACE.

Varth

Add Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and now we're talkin.

Unlockable if you have a NBA Live save on your PS4. Or is it too cruel?

This seems kind of ridiculous. What basis will they even use for his ground ability?

Ground? It's Bruce - fucking - Lee.

EDIT: actually, even if quite interested in the game in itself, Bruce inclusion kinda upsets me. Seems like exploiting. Who got paid for the licence of his likeness?

Yaari

EDIT: actually, even if quite interested in the game in itself, Bruce inclusion kinda upsets me. Seems like exploiting. Who got paid for the licence of his likeness?

Probably the Lee Foundation. The UFC has been selling Bruce Lee shirts for a while now.

Top Bottom