• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports UFC releasing June 17th, Bruce Lee as pre-order bonus

dlemarc

Sort of but not really

etc.

Fans of fighters should be familiar with Bruce Lee clones. To me it's always cool when you can hve the actual person in a game instead of just paying homage. Here's some others.

1678977-mk1_liukang.png

Liu Kang

201389-dragonchan.png

Dragon Chan

kindragonportrait--article_image.jpg

Kim Dragon

9759ZT_0e.jpg

I'd throw Wei Shen in there too

Trailer is up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9keNVYmERI

Looks incredible, but I want to know how it plays. Visually it's looking great but I'm concerned about the gameplay itself.

That is... WOW!

That right hook that Wanderlei does that gets blocks by Chael is greeaaaaatt!!!!! It looked absolutely beautiful. Seriously the best hook animation I've seen thrown in a video game to date.

Then the heel push kick that Mcgregor does to Guida while his unbalanced that drops him down? A THING OF BEAUTY.

When a player attempts a submission, the defending player works to escape by pushing the right stick in one of the four cardinal directions, while the attacking player tries to match his movements to stop that escape. Simultaneously, the attacking player must match his or her left stick with flashing prompts on screen to advance the submission.

Ehhh flashing prompts.

All i want is Joe Rogan screaming "HE'S HURT HIM MIKE! HE'S HURT HIM!" whenever anything with even a little bit of force lands cleanly

conman

Not sure how I feel about Bruce being in a game. Would he agree to it?
Of course he would. He was very into marketing himself as a brand. Does that make it a good fit for the game? Not really.

And all this nonsense about Jeet Kune Do being the basis for the philosophy of the MMA is just marketing nonsense and retconning. Martial arts have been "mixing" for as long as the martial arts have existed (just look up the ancient pankration for a well known example).

Of course he would. He was very into marketing himself as a brand. Does that make it a good fit for the game? Not really.

And all this nonsense about Jeet Kune Do being the basis for the philosophy of the MMA is just marketing nonsense and retconning. Martial arts have been "mixing" for as long as the martial arts have existed (just look up the ancient pankration).

Jeet Kune Do isn't the basis for MMA but it was indeed created with the idea of mixing different martial art techniques without taking their forms. Bruce wasn't the first to come up with such an idea and I doubt modern MMA was based in any way on Bruce's philosophy specifically but I also doubt it was based on any one philosophy. Modern MMA came about as a necessity. It became very apparent early on that not having a ground game was meant a loss against a high level grappler and it expanded from there.

So, while it is Marketing on the UFC's part, it isn't exactly retconning either.

cluderi

Bruce Lee in a UFC game?

Never bought a UFC game but the graphics/effects look pretty damn good ...

youhadmycuriosity.gif

n0tail

Banned
Fantastic choice for the mystery character. Bruce Lee is truly the father and I have been a huge fan of his for my entire life. This will be enough to seal my pre-order money that's for sure. Although, I want the digital version because I don't want to swap discs and I know this will be one of my most played games on PS4 by a long shot.

I hope EA truly cater to the authentic MMA experience with their "one hit can change all" philosophy. Because the previous games did not do this and they were horrible. Only EA set the limits for how great this game will be, they already have the visuals nailed down that's for sure.

Majanew

Banned
Ah, posted in the other thread.

June 17th is so far away! And that cover is weak. UFC can do better than that.

Can't wait to easily throw Bruce Lee down and Frank Mir his arm.

Epcott

Not really a MMA fan, but I want this day one!

Just curious as to how simple these games are to pick up and play.

ElNino

Ah, posted in the other thread.

June 17th is so far away! And that cover is weak. UFC can do better than that.

Can't wait to easily throw Bruce Lee down and Frank Mir his arm.
They said it would be coming in very late Spring, so they made it by four days.

ron_bato

Not really a MMA fan, but I want this day one!

The past undisputed games were fairly easy to pick up and play, but of course when you get thrown in with an experienced player you need to go deeper with how the system works. I think this will be fairly accessible, they want this to have as broad an appeal as possible, I think their 'simplified' submission system is a testament as to how broad an audience they want to reach.

I'd say really easy just like all fighting games. I'm sure EA will provide a tutorial to explain the ground game side of things. In the meantime maybe try to watch some MMA just to get an idea of how it all works.

Majanew

Banned
Bruce would want to prove that his style can beat any and every style out there! Bruce approved.

Even in his prime, if he entered UFC 1, he would have been beaten by Royce Gracie. Then Bruce would have entered a 5 minute montage of him training to go back and defeat the evil Royce!

Coolade

Even in his prime, if he entered UFC 1, he would have been beaten by Royce Gracie. Then Bruce would have entered a 5 minute montage of him training to go back and defeat the evil Royce!

I think people that compare Bruce to today's athlete don't extrapolate and imagine Bruce Lee if he was training in the techniques of the modern day athlete. How would he stack up then? I think he'd do pretty well.

Majanew

Banned
I think people that compare Bruce to today's athlete don't extrapolate and imagine Bruce Lee if he was training in the techniques of the modern day athlete. How would he stack up then? I think he'd do pretty well.

That's not what I'm talking about, though. I'm talking about Bruce Lee entering UFC 1 without knowing the Gracie's or BJJ. He'd most likely get handled. Especially with it being open weight back then. And Royce wasn't even the good Gracie. Bruce in his prime training and entering UFC today, he'd most likely wreck his weight class. He'd only need takedown and submission defense, and he'd be unstoppable.

OsirisBlack

Banned

The inclusion of Bruce Lee will start a lot of interesting conversations, The thing about the first UFC was that there really were no rules outside of biting and eye gouging I believe. The thing is Bruce's training was superhuman even by today's standards, now imagine if he had access to everything available today. The man was a training fanatic, Two finger one handed push ups, Floating Sit ups.... I can't name 5 fighters today in that type of physical shape. Throwing completely powerful punches in less than half a second from a rested position .... the list goes on.

To your point Yes if Royce got him on the ground he would have more than likely won unless Bruce pulled the old repeated groin punch..... think early UFC's hardest to watch moments. If he had any type of take down defense he would have easily obliterated the competition.

Majanew

Banned
The inclusion of Bruce Lee will start a lot of interesting conversations, The thing about the first UFC was that there really were no rules outside of biting and eye gouging I believe. The thing is Bruce's training was superhuman even by today's standards, now imagine if he had access to everything available today. The man was a training fanatic, Two finger one handed push ups, Floating Sit ups.... I can't name 5 fighters today in that type of physical shape. Throwing completely powerful punches in less than half a second from a rested position .... the list goes on.

To your point Yes if Royce got him on the ground he would have more than likely won unless Bruce pulled the old repeated groin punch..... think early UFC's hardest to watch moments. If he had any type of take down defense he would have easily obliterated the competition.

I would also like to see him in a 5 round war to see that gas tank in action. Should be bottomless like Frankie Edgar.

Ivieto

Banned

Royce was one of the "little, sknny men" of early UFC and yet he dwarfed Bruce Lee. Lee would have fought at maybe 135. Bruce Lee would have been one of the smallest UFC fighter up to about 5 years ago when the Strikeforce weights were added, and I think that is very important to keep in mind.

DKehoe

Bruce Lee supposedly being the father of MMA is one of the best examples of UFC rewriting the history of MMA.

EA should just put Dana white on the cover. He is the most recognizable face to the masses. Plus who wouldn't want a management mode where you setup cards, pick fighters to sign, punish/fire fighters based on behavior, etc

Do it

And WWE should do the same with Vince McMahon. It would make me buy a wrestling video game. Last one I purchased was WcW vs NWO (N64)

Top Bottom