• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Survey hints at possible PC subscription service

SURGEdude

At a glance it seems to be mostly different people that have replied in this and your thread, but I'm still firmly against any subscription service on Steam.

Totally accurate. I wasn't suggesting a hive mind or anything, and my proposal was slightly different in that it was presented more like GwG and Instant Game Library as opposed to the similar but different strategy employed by EA. I just pointed it out because I'm curious if this sort of thing is becoming more palatable as time goes on and more people have experience with these types of long term rental subscription services.

I still think my suggestion of allowing people a handful of titles out of a (rotating?) pool would better suit the diversity of PC gaming though. There is just too wide a spectrum of taste and genres on PC to cater to without offering at least a few options for players to choose between. It seems like that would also allow them to keep costs down too since they wouldn't be having to maintain licensing at the same volume for a huge number of titles when certain ones would never be played by most players.

I mean even on consoles tastes range enough that many people are often unsatisfied by the titles offered or the rate they are added.

Only if I have the option of permanent ownership.

How do you permanently own a modern EA game?

If you are going to buy into their games, you are getting a year tops until they shut off servers or not much longer until they give up on the new service as a bad joke.

So might as well subscribe, get your two hours of fun and contribute to the destruction of the games industry.

Why destruction? Well netflix doesn't change the actual shows. You can bet subscription models will massively change how games are put together.

Unless you are big on f2p mobile type games, it isn't a positive move.

SURGEdude

Not without their full sports lineup. Don't see the point with their current PC lineup.

Yeah they'd really have to work their ass off getting other publishers aboard to make it viable especially in light of how quickly PC games decline in price. Or like you suggested really invest heavily in the annualized sports titles they've neglected so long.

diaspora

If you are going to buy into their games, you are getting a year tops until they shut off servers or not much longer until they give up on the new service as a bad joke.

So might as well subscribe, get your two hours of fun and contribute to the destruction of the games industry.

Why destruction? Well netflix doesn't change the actual shows. You can bet subscription models will massively change how games are put together.

The same way you own most Steamworks games.

It all depends on the library and price but if I had to pay like 50 bucks a year (similar to EA access on Xbox One) I could see myself buying a gaming PC and running it in a console like fashion under my TV. This also depends on how soon games are added of course.

Joejoe123

Neo Member

I think most companies would see such a service as an additional revenue stream and not something to build their games around.

Gren

Not for me, thanks. In general I'm none too taken by the PS Plus/GWG "mystery box ~ here, take what we decide to give you" model. That perception of a blind box pick is less apparent with Access, as there's a much more focused pool of games that they can pull from. But on the other hand, I don't particulalrly like most of EA's games (or those of the other pubs on the poll).

Which single player EA game forces you to be online? Certainly none of the Bioware ones at least.

edit: Does TW3 on Origin force you to be always online?

Under a subscription model? All of them.

The best you will get is some sort of need for speed style multiplayer excuse. I doubt they will even bother with that for long.

I think most companies would see such a service as an additional revenue stream and not something to build their games around.

What game industry are you looking at? Games like dragon age or mgs are heavily influenced by mobile game design. They'll follow the subscribing, constantly paying crowd. People who pay once? Who is going to make games for them?

Hook them, keep them playing, keep extending the timers.

Ape

Banned
If you liked PS+ before the online requirement, why wouldn't you like this? It reminds me a lot of that, but potentially better. Bringing this to the PC is great, I'd jump in.

Joco

Eh, I can't say I'd be that interested. While I go digital for pretty much everything else - music, movies, TV shows, etc... games are still something I prefer to have a physical copy of, particularly for consoles. The pricing would have to be too good to ignore for me to dive into a subscription service like this.

Syriel

Netflix has had an impact as far as changing how shows are produced. And it plans on extended that to feature films.

Top Bottom