• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Too!™: Be extra nice and EA will pay you (participants may not disclose details)

I guess it's time for detectiveGAF to use the great means and uncover how deep we are getting lied and fucked over. By whom, how and since when.

Ive honestly never seen a forum thats been able to find out and uncover so much in such a small amount of time..Tbh DetectiveGaf scares me lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
EA are such innovators. Achievements for viral marketing? I wonder if eventually you can prestige to a real marketing job.

system11

How are you supposed to demonstrate alldrive when it turns the game into an unplayable mess with other cars leaping around the road? Their matchmaking really sucks.

Can categorically say that we (Codemasters) have never done anything like this, we may send copies of games to YouTube people should they ask (as we do with any media outlet really) but that's about as far as it goes.

Chobel

Update from EA
"Through EA's Ronku program, some fans are compensated for the YouTube videos they create and share about our games," a company spokesman confirms. "The program requires that participants comply with FTC guidelines and identify when content is sponsored. User-generated videos are a valuable and unique aspect of how gamers share their experiences playing the games they love, and one that EA supports."

When asked whether participants truly can and have disclosed their relationship in the face of any non-disclosure agreements they might have signed, EA would only say: "We explicitly state in the Terms & Conditions of the program that each video must comply with the FTC's Guidelines concerning Use of Testimonials and Endorsements in Advertising."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/21/5332306/electronic-arts-ronku-pays-to-promote-games-on-youtube

nib95

Banned

Sounds like utter BS when looking at this particular stipulation…

You agree to keep confidential at all times all matters relating to this Agreement and any Assignment including, without limitation, the Details and Compensation listed above.

You understand that You may not post a copy of this Agreement or any Assignment or any terms thereof online or share them with any third party without EA's prior written consent. You agree that You have read the Nondisclosure Agreement (attached hereto and marked as Exhibit A) and You understand and agree to all of terms of the Nondisclosure Agreement, which are incorporated as part of this Agreement.

Jomjom

Banned
that I believe is due to most 'Journalists' in this industry being nothing more than glorified news reporters.

Sad thing is I've seen my local news reporters do more investigative reporting than this. I guess this is what happens when the website you work for will likely go under if a company like EA or MS stops supporting you.

Rich!

I agree with this being the most problematic implication of all this, that it makes basically all sources of gaming reviews unreliable until further notice.

You don't say.

I've assumed this for like...the last decade? I don't follow gaming media at all for this exact reason.

Ban Puncher

NfNOG.gif

GlassCity

Banned
First of all, is this really a surprise ? I can't help but to laugh at the shocked comments. We all know this stuff takes place and it probably takes place on a much bigger scale than this. Gaming review sites, the ones who shape everyone's opinions days before a game comes out. Probably the biggest offenders.

The biggest revelation with all of the "we pay you to be positive", is that company's know they can shape the way people think about a certain game before it's even released, or change the way people think about a certain product by infiltrating their very source of information. Well, non hardcore gamers anyway.. When a company like Ea puts out something, gamers are automatically skeptical and for good reason. They have earned that shady title for years of being shady to their customers.

This latest news goes to show that you can't fool people for long now that people can go straight to the net with news. Ea has earned a reputation for being the way they are for a reason. No amount of paying or persuading will reverse that. It will help with uninformed people, but making good games and being honest is the only way to repair their damaged reputation . And with the latest stuff from Ea, that reputation has just sunk in deeper.

This is the part people will hate.

A part of me can understand why Microsoft/Ea would do this. Making games/hardware is a huge risk, and a bad outlook on your product (deserving or not)can be very damaging in this day and age. Microsoft for example has a pretty bad reputation on the internet for forcing drm, forcing kinect ect. Does it deserve the backlash it's gotten after reversing those things ? I would say no, but that's just my opinion. Yes, they tried to force drm, kinect, but in the end they reversed those things and launched with a system that shared their vision and gamers visions.

So paying people to say positive things is their quick fix for repairing that damaged reputation. If people are watching youtube videos hearing things like "this system is great, no drm, no forced kinect ect, that will help reverse peoples negative outlook on the system. Not saying i agree with it, just that i can see why you would want to do something like this as a company who is in great danger of losing money due to a somewhat unfair outlook on their product.

Same kinda goes for Ea, is it fair that every game they produce brings skepticism ? In my opinion, In a way yes, but in a way no. They've earned that title, but in order to continue to pour money in to AAA games, they need to at least try to repair that reputation and have confidence they will make a profit. Again, i don't agree with paying people, it's slimy, filthy and many other words, but i can see why, from a company standpoint, they would do something like this.

In a lot of ways, the internet can be unfair with gaming. People pass judgement on games before they even play them, and many times, deem them failures before they even release. That can be really unfair for a company releasing a multimillion dollar game. The nature of the internet is to jump on to whatever is seen as "Good" or "Bad", most people don't even know why they do it, but a lot of people do because it's what everyone else is doing. It can be very damaging at times. I've seen it happen with so many gaming related things over the years. And it destroyed the outlook on that particular subject simply because it caught on.

Again, not saying i agree with paying for positive comments, just that i can see why a company would want to do stuff like this because of the potential disaster their product might unfairly face. In a way, they might see it as "fighting back" against unfair judgement.

Croyles

No NDA so it's not bad. Just a really pathetic marketing strategy honestly.
If their budget goes into things like this then no wonder it's considered a failure if a game sells several million copies.

CSM

Neo Member
First of all, is this really a surprise ?
No, but it's just something that reinforces what everyone already knows about Electronic Arts.

Hope they win that shittiest company award for the third time in a row. Towards a bright bankrupt future!

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Is this why battlefield's issues were not voiced prominently in any of the major gaming review websites? Why BF4 received great reviews while having crashes and audio/save bugs that none of the reviews showed.

no reason to think otherwise at this point.

Zacxx201

Banned
I hate how no "journalist" is willing to simply challenge them directly with that stipulation and ask for an explanation.

These outlets can't call out these huge companies because they're scared they'll get blacklisted on review copies or interviews or whatever. It's bullshit, but that's most likely the reason. No one in this industry has any backbone for the consumers. Everyone's just a glorified PR mouthpiece.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Unprecedented Partnership. Personally, I wish these two would just go ahead and merge and stop trying to hide that they want the future to be on a Microsoft device with EA games.

Chobel

tl;dr I missed the entire point

So the only way they could repair their bad reputation is by making it even worse?

And as usual you're missing the entire fucking point, the biggest problem isn't that they're paying people to say positive stuff, the biggest problem is that they're telling
content creators do not say that you're getting paid for promotion, you know, deceiving people.

Disgusting. Well if any good comes out of this is that maybe going forward people will be a lot more critical of everything they see, watch and hear on the Internet. I know I will be.

Is this why battlefield's issues were not voiced prominently in any of the major gaming review websites? Why BF4 received great reviews while having crashes and audio/save bugs that none of the reviews showed.

I assumed IGN and most of those kind of sites got paid for coverage of some games (i.e GTA week) but always wondered why glaring errors are never stated in reviews and then later the reviewer always says something like "Oh we never had that happen in our gameplay time".

My other assumption is that they just don't play the game for any longer than an hour.

They had to play the game in a controlled environment. They didn't get to play it at home or the office. I'm sure the servers weren't as buggy. + we'll fix it in patch, believe us

gogosox8

First of all, is this really a surprise ?

Umm, Because that isn't the point? No one cares that people are being paid to promote products. The part that people aren't disclosing that they are being paid to promote a product( you know lying). Also its against FTC regulations.

enanogrande said:
Don't worry, we hated your whole post. It's what happens when people miss the point.

lol

Chobel said:
So the only way they could repair their bad reputation is by making it even worse?

And as usual you're missing the entire fucking point, the biggest problem isn't that they're paying people to say positive stuff, the biggest problem is that they're telling
content creators do not say that you're getting paid for promotion, you know, deceiving people.

Maybe this should be put in the op so people stop missing the point.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Has there been any comments from Youtube/media personalities?

I'm not big, I'm am medium-small channel (only 20,000 subscribers, I used to have 20,000,000 video views but I recently started a clean slate), but I have had offers, and as I said earlier:

I can tell you as a medium-small YouTube channel, and on my own basic principle, I have never accepted an offer that tries to censor my personal thoughts on the game, and I've been offered such deals. I've been offered by more smaller teams to make videos on their game by me sending a copy early, but I just share my thoughts on it, and make 100% sure that I don't have to 'promote' it in an untrue or dishonest way, and simply if the game is good, I'll speak for it and push my love for it, if it's bad, I'll just say what I don't like about it.

I also know I'm not the only one who does this. The only higher profile YouTuber I know a bit personally is Cry or Cryaotic, and I know for a fact he doesn't accept offers of the sort either.

I bet some do, but sometimes it can be a bit easy to tell who's 'selling out' and who's not.

kinn

I hate how no "journalist" is willing to simply challenge them directly with that stipulation and ask for an explanation.

We should contact/tweet the most prominent ones about this asking them to investigate. Let's see how they respond to that.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=311tmt063hw

Thoughts?

My single problem with the revelations is the lack of disclosure about the program, rather then anything inherent to it per se.

I'd like to think that YT'ers like Frankie and JackFrags arn't money grabbing bellends, so I can give them a pass (if you felt that taken in by certain personalities then you're watching the wrong YT'ers). If anything it's the pubs like EA that squeeze copyright claims on YT and then set up monitization models like this on the side. If I felt like being hyperbolic then I might go so far as to compare it to racketeering but ehh, games blog headline etc.

A-V-B

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=311tmt063hw

Thoughts?

My single problem with the revelations is the lack of disclosure about the program, rather then anything inherent to it per se.

I'd like to think that YT'ers like Frankie and JackFrags arn't money grabbing bellends, so I can give them a pass (if you felt that taken in by certain personalities then you're watching the wrong YT'ers). If anything it's the pubs like EA that squeeze copyright claims on YT and then set up monitization models like this on the side. If I felt like being hyperbolic then I might go so far as to compare it to racketeering but ehh, games blog headline etc.

I like how he starts right off with talking about minorities and ill-formed conclusions. I really like it! It was so true during the ME3 debacle, and is doubly true now!!

Top Bottom