• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA vs Edge trademark case - GAME OVER! - read post #169

Barakov

Gold Member
Good to hear that that this was thrown out. Hopefully, this is the last we'll hear of this nitwit.

Monocle

RDH2m.png

:/

Zodzilla

It's about edge that this edgehole finally got edged in the edge. I hope he goes to a state edge, and gets edged so much that he can't edge straight anymore.

I also hope he loses a lot of "his" money because of this due to flat out lying to the USPTO.

JoeyX

Neo Member
I think this is a case where it wasn't just EA who benefited so it's good that the big guy won.

ElRenoRaven

I may not be an EA fan but damn I salute them for this. It's sad that it took this damn long for someone to stand up to that troll.

Icarus

Well done EA. I don't for a second think that this came about due to anything but their self-interest, but in this particular case, their interests aligned with justice.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2 Mirrors Edge 2

plz

Rctdaemon

There's some interesting stuff in that ruling:

• Mirror's Edge has sold more than 2,000,000 copies worldwide and a Mac version is apparently slated for release later this year.
  • Langdell submitted faked evidence concerning EDGE Magazine, referring to it as "our EDGE Games magazine."
  • He also submitted a "scanned copy of our comic book EDGE," which was actually published by Malibu Comics (owned by Marvel) in the 1990s.
  • The website for the game Mythos, which Langdell claimed EDGE had been selling since 2004, was not actually registered until 2008.
  • He doctored "TM" symbols and his other trademarks into multiple submissions to the USPTO, including one box art from EA (Garfield: Winter's Tail)
  • His fraudulent USPTO submissions could result in criminal penalties and rendering the trademarks invalid.
  • There is not significant likelihood of confusion between Mirror's Edge and EDGE games for multiple reasons.
  • According to an earlier trademark ruling, if a trademark is not used for three consecutive years, that is considered abandonment.
  • Since Langdell waited until 21 months after the release of Mirror's Edge and had abandoned his trademarks, his claims of irreparable harm are moot as well.

With that settled, can we have Mirror's Edge 2 now EA? Please?

Ferrio said:
No, no it doesn't. A huge company with tons of a fucking cash works. It's actually quite sad it's taken this long.

Pretty much. If the system worked, this wouldn't even be an issue.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Lol, and people doubted EA is a company for good.

One thing that benefits the game industry doesn't absolve them for past BS. Don't be so naive.

dream

Rctdaemon said:

• Mirror's Edge has sold more than 2,000,000 copies worldwide and a Mac version is apparently slated for release later this year.
  • Langdell submitted faked evidence concerning EDGE Magazine, referring to it as "our EDGE Games magazine."
  • He also submitted a "scanned copy of our comic book EDGE," which was actually published by Malibu Comics (owned by Marvel) in the 1990s.
  • The website for the game Mythos, which Langdell claimed EDGE had been selling since 2004, was not actually registered until 2008.
  • He doctored "TM" symbols and his other trademarks into multiple submissions to the USPTO, including one box art from EA (Garfield: Winter's Tail)
  • His fraudulent USPTO submissions could result in criminal penalties and rendering the trademarks invalid.
  • There is not significant likelihood of confusion between Mirror's Edge and EDGE games for multiple reasons.
  • According to an earlier trademark ruling, if a trademark is not used for three consecutive years, that is considered abandonment.
  • Since Langdell waited until 21 months after the release of Mirror's Edge and had abandoned his trademarks, his claims of irreparable harm are moot as well.

Most of the stuff about Langdell doctoring submissions and faking evidence had been reported on some of the edgewatch blogs...but man, seeing it in a legal brief just blows my mind. How could Langdell possibly think he could get away with even half of the shit he tried to pull?

Burai

shitonmychest57
dream said:
Most of the stuff about Langdell doctoring submissions and faking evidence had been reported on some of the edgewatch blogs...but man, seeing it in a legal brief just blows my mind. How could Langdell possibly think he could get away with even half of the shit he tried to pull?
Mostly because he'd been getting away with it for nearly 15 years. 90% of the time people just settled and the other 10% saw him winning in court with his faked USTPO filings. He probably felt completely untouchable.

But then he met the wrong people and made the classic mistake that all frauds make. He got greedy.

What will be interesting now is what happens when those licensees decide they want their money back. And what happens when the people he sued for damages want theirs back too. And most importantly what happens when the USTPO find out that he's been falsifying documents and using them in court.

Tim Langdell will end up penniless and likely in jail. And that is why you don't defraud the government for financial gain.

DiscoJer

Burai said:
Mostly because he'd been getting away with it for nearly 15 years. 90% of the time people just settled and the other 10% saw him winning in court with his faked USTPO filings. He probably felt completely untouchable.

But then he met the wrong people and made the classic mistake that all frauds make. He got greedy.

What will be interesting now is what happens when those licensees decide they want their money back. And what happens when the people he sued for damages want theirs back too. And most importantly what happens when the USTPO find out that he's been falsifying documents and using them in court.

Tim Langdell will end up penniless and likely in jail. And that is why you don't defraud the government for financial gain.

I dunno. EA won mostly because they could afford to stand up to him (probably even having lawyers on payroll). He's mostly picked on small companies up until then who couldn't afford to fight back.

They might have an expectation of winning a court case now, but it still costs a lot of money to hire lawyers with little likelihood of getting it back (since I'm sure this guy has spent what he's extorted over the years).

And I think you're giving the USTPO far too much credit. Will they even notice? Or care? Maybe if the judge sends them a letter, but considering how clueless they are in granting patents and trademarks (like this in the first place) well, good luck they'll actually ever do anything. And even so, he'd be likely to move to another country (I think he did that once already for legal reasons, from the UK to US).

IrishNinja

Rctdaemon said:

• [*]Langdell submitted faked evidence concerning EDGE Magazine, referring to it as "our EDGE Games magazine."
    [*]He also submitted a "scanned copy of our comic book EDGE," which was actually published by Malibu Comics (owned by Marvel) in the 1990s.

this man...he must haul his balls around in a wheelbarrow. :lol

Rctdaemon said:

Way to go EA!
He is clearly way over the edge now. Blatant disregard for the law.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Haunted said:
*paging phisheep, paging phisheep*

You called?

Oh!

OK, I've just ordered the court papers and will post analysis as soon as I can. (I'll do it in brief here and link into the main thread so that we keep the whole story in one place running up to trial).

Remember, though, that this is only a ruling on the injunction - it is not the end of the case by any means, there will be more water to go under the bridge yet.

Sorry I didn't pick this up faster, but have been engrossed in the golf for the last four days.

Mar

This is the best news I've heard all week. Here's hoping Tim gets what's coming to him.

And thanks EA. Thanks for squashing this annoying ass, and for protecting the names of one of my favourite games this gen.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Just to show that things are still interesting, also filed yesterday is an extraordinarily barefaced attempt by Langdell to dismiss EA's counterclaim in full.

I'll need to look at in more detail to get my head around the bizarre Langdell logic before explaining it, but there is at least one bit of evidence that it was slung together in a tremendous hurry/panic ...

... it is dated 4th NOVEMBER 2010 ...

This should be fun.

Will post more in a few hours.

EDIT: That date wasn't an accident - see post #106

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
phisheep said:
... it is dated 4th NOVEMBER 2010 ...

This should be fun.
Using time travel to claim he never actually abandoned his trademark? Smart.

Top Bottom