• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Dunkirk impressions (Social Media embargo lifted)

DMczaf

https://twitter.com/kristapley/status/886056849753071616

bFlzajE.png

I have to accept the fact that some people like Begins so much they would even put it above Dark Knight. Such a boring and predictable movie, really the less "Nolan" you could ever find.

effzee

I have to accept the fact that some people like Begins so much they would even put it above Dark Knight. Such a boring and predictable movie, really the less "Nolan" you could ever find.

LOL in what world is Begins any more predictable than the other Batman movies?

It revived Batman when everyone assumed he was dead and gone and has the best origins of a comic book character on film.

Personally I think TDK is a better movie but for what Begins does, it's just amazing.

DMczaf

It revived Batman when everyone assumed he was dead and gone and has the best origins of a comic book character on film.

Personally I think TDK is a better movie but for what Begins does, it's just amazing.

And that Joker stinger at the end....whew

y2dvd

I used to like TDK more than Begins, but Begins are far more rewatchable to me. I think it has a lot of Nolan trademarks, as well.

Right on. I've always preferred BB anyways.

Got tickets for Dunkirk Thursday for my bday! What's the difference between 70MM and Imax? Both were available, but I went with 70mm.

Steejee

Was mixed on this till I saw the 7minute opening bit, and that plus now these reviews are making me really want to see it. The Kris Tapley order is pretty close to how I'd order Nolan's films, though I might bump Dark Knight up a slot or two:

Dunkirk > Prestige > Memento > Inception > Batman Begins > Dark Knight > Interstellar > Insomnia > Following > Dark Knight Rises

Hrm...I can see this in 70mm at a local historic theater, 4K Laser IMAX 30 minutes away, or 70mm IMAX an hour away (how does Providence have a 70mm IMAX but not Boston?).

Feel like I should go for the 70mm IMAX, if for no other reason than it may be one of the last films I'll be able to see in that format.

Already got my 70mm imax tickets preordered for Friday. Pretty hyped. They were almost sold out as soon as they went up for sale. The good seats at least.

It's still nowhere near any of Nolan's other works except Returns. It's a superhero origin movie that tried to feel realistic with a funny voice for Batman and... an enemy with magic powers. Nothing in that movie felt exciting or different than any other origin story. The Dark Knight on the other side is an amazing thriller with a memorable enemy and very little of that unlikable Batman. Returns also is better because it retcons the "fear" thematic of Begins wich felt like a mess.
The worst part of the trilogy is the constant need to make it seem realistic, and Begins is like 90% of that.

I saw an early screening of this as a member of the military. I didn't think it was very good. Felt like a high budget history channel documentary tossed in a blender and without the narration added. It's definitely a movie you need to see twice but the first time was such a bore I don't really plan on it.

Sevenfold

I saw an early screening of this as a member of the military. I didn't think it was very good. Felt like a high budget history channel documentary tossed in a blender and without the narration added. It's definitely a movie you need to see twice but the first time was such a bore I don't really plan on it.
Cool.

mdubs

Banned
That score is absolutely amazing I can't stop listening to it. It's amazing how such good things happen when Zimmer and Nolan team up - every single one of their movies has one absolutely amazing and memorable track that suits the movie wonderfully from a thematic perspective

At risk of sounding condescending, do you watch films for their formal elements? Dunkirk seems to be 80% filmic exercise and achievement.

I have passes to the kabuki theater in San Francisco tomorrow but it's not IMAX :/

I have another pair if someone lives near by

I used to like TDK more than Begins, but Begins are far more rewatchable to me. I think it has a lot of Nolan trademarks, as well.

Begins has gotten weaker for me every time I watch it tbh. The first act is still pretty gold, but it feels kinda standard fare after that. The Dark Knight is more structurally and aesthetically interesting, in addition to having a more compelling cast of satellite characters and bolder action sequences. They both have dumb comic book stuff in the third act but Joker's final scene and the French Connection-esque warehouse showdown with Dent makes up for it. It doesn't have to deal with all the patented origin movie exposition and montages so instead we're thrown into this bleak crime film that feels like two and a half hours of climax.

Begins has gotten weaker for me every time I watch it tbh. The first act is still pretty gold, but it feels kinda standard fare after that. The Dark Knight is more structurally and aesthetically interesting, in addition to having a more compelling cast of satellite characters and bolder action sequences. They both have dumb comic book stuff in the third act but Joker's final scene and the French Connection-esque warehouse showdown with Dent makes up for it. It doesn't have to deal with all the patented origin movie exposition and montages so instead we're thrown into this bleak crime film that feels like two and a half hours of climax.

Yep. Agreed with all of this.

Though I still do enjoy begins a lot. It's one of the better comic movies. But dark knight was so much more interesting. Loved the shift Nolan did with that sequel.

Although Dark Knight is the superior Film. I enjoy Begins much more. I'm a sucker for origins story and Bale is fantastic as Bruce in Begins.

Also Begins is rather funny at how different it is from Dark Knight. Lot of more cheesy moments in it.

Begins first hour is a motivational reel. Heroism distilled into an impressive exercise of film craftsman. Sadly the rest is just a formulaic film structural framework applied to that beautiful buildup. But the movie that exists until Lasiurus is played while Batman watches over Gotham is quite a unique piece of cinema.

Begins first hour is a motivational reel. Heroism distilled into an impressive exercise of film craftsman. Sadly the rest is just a formulaic film structural framework applied to that beautiful buildup.

The best superhero origin/training sequence easy.

Really well made and edited. Soundtrack was beautiful too

Begins first hour is a motivational reel. Heroism distilled into an impressive exercise of film craftsman. Sadly the rest is just a formulaic film structural framework applied to that beautiful buildup.
To be fair. Batman Begins was rebooting after Batman and Robin. It's understandable it went safe.

Plus it gave Nolan the chance to be daring with Dark Knight.

Yes. Absolutely amazing scene in an amazing sequence.

That's fair. I think your enjoyment of either relies on your willingness to forgive their flaws. BB has significant third act problems, but it probably one of the best, if not THE best, superhero origin stories. It took a formula and gave it new life. Nolan's use of edits, his flashbacks (something that is easy to fuck up but he is great, IMO, through all his films), fantastic editing (as we all know, of course, he can be wildly inconsistent), the score, and the acting. But yeah, it indulges in the more conventional aspects of the genre too, as you and others have pointed out.

Top Bottom