• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Dunkirk impressions (Social Media embargo lifted)

Forkball

The real question is: Will Scorsese bow to Nolan when he hands him the Oscar next year, or will it just be tears of joy?

Not a huge fan of war movies, but I'm quite fond of Nolan's movies. So we'll see. But more than anything, I'm excited to hear the score. The organ in Interstellar's soundtrack was a fucking revelation.

Every time I look up stuff about Dunkirk I see Harry Styles instead. I know he's a celebrating but damn. People are really going to watch a war movie that actually happened in real life only because Harry Styles is in it. I truly believe that. I feel like I've learn so much about this guy thanks to his fanbase.

element

Got to see it tonight in real IMAX at Seattle Science Center.

From the first shot in its full IMAX glory, it is amazing!

The cinematography & sound with that type of picture is just overwhelming.

95% of the movie is in full IMAX with the non-IMAX segments being less than two minutes.

It is an odd movie to watch though.
The movie has three timelines spliced together with all three aligning near the end.
Very little character development and dialogue. Outside of the ending where a character reads a newspaper, no character has more than a handful of words.
The first 20 minutes of the film has less than 30 spoken words.

If you have real IMAX in your city, it is worth seeing it for that alone. Seriously feels like a totally differnet movie exepreince with that scale of screen.

M.W.

Got to see it tonight in real IMAX at Seattle Science Center.

From the first shot in its full IMAX glory, it is amazing!

The cinematography & sound with that type of picture is just overwhelming.

95% of the movie is in full IMAX with the non-IMAX segments being less than two minutes.

It is an odd movie to watch though.
The movie has three timelines spliced together with all three aligning near the end.
Very little character development and dialogue. Outside of the ending where a character reads a newspaper, no character has more than a handful of words.
The first 20 minutes of the film has less than 30 spoken words.

If you have real IMAX in your city, it is worth seeing it for that alone. Seriously feels like a totally differnet movie exepreince with that scale of screen.

The spoiler part most of us know and it's precisely why we're ecstatic.

I think we are all missing the important detail.

did Nolan put a bag over Cilian Murphy's head again? I remember a interview back when Inception came out where they asked him about having his face covered and he laugh at it because it's true

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Having seen it I think this will be far above a the mid 80s on RT that you guys are talking about. I think critics are going to lap this up.

DMczaf

HorrorBiz
@kristapley

"Dunkirk" may be Nolan's masterpiece. Three timelines cascade together in a feat of structural bravura few would dream up let alone attempt.

DMczaf

Gregory Ellwood‏
@TheGregoryE
Follow
More
Dunkirk is fantastic and visceral filmmaking. Quite moving at the end. Likely your first Best Picture nominee. #oscars

Gregory Ellwood‏
@TheGregoryE
Follow
More
Production design, cinematography beyond stellar in Dunkirk. Don't see acting nods - ensemble. Score very good but Zimmer familiar #Oscars

@awardsdaily
Dunkirk is one of the best films I've ever seen. Will be hard to top. Wow. Pulling myself together.

DMczaf

https://twitter.com/kristapley/status/885941966759788544

ImperturbableHonestBlackmamba-size_restricted.gif

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
excuse my old man yelling at the cloud, but we're really boiling impressions of an epic war movie down to 140 character tweets?

i've liked almost every Nolan film from good to great.

effzee

excuse my old man yelling at the cloud, but we're really boiling impressions of an epic war movie down to 140 character tweets?

I think its because full reviews are not allowed yet? I thought embargo was over today but doesn't seem like it.

EGM1966

Considering the US seemed to chose it's current president based on Twitter and that's how he communicates I guess this is small potatoes by comparison.

To be fair I think it does work for a high level impression and I find twitter useless normally.

a916

Probably will secure an easy 90+ on RT going by these impressions

I predict 95% tbh

Y'all are hyping me up too much.

The real question is: Will Scorsese bow to Nolan when he hands him the Oscar next year, or will it just be tears of joy?

The real reason he went with Netflix. He knows no matter how amazing his movie is, the voting committee hates Netflix, and therefore knowing Nolan was about to drop this bomb and grab a director award, he figured he'd take himself out of the running... very smart man.

zsynqx

I think we have enough reactions now to assume that the general consensus will be mostly positive. Would be shocked if it's lower than 80% and wouldn't be surprised if it is above 90%.

I think we have enough reactions now to assume that the general consensus will be mostly positive. Would be shocked if it's lower than 80% and wouldn't be surprised if it is above 90%.
I find it hilarious that people are unsure if a movie of the year contender will hit 80-85% while comic book movies hit those numbers and the 90s on the regular while being completely generic and unmemorable in every manner lol

Top Bottom