• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Dunkirk impressions (Social Media embargo lifted)

Christopher Nolan and Edgar Wright, two of the best, have great films releasing within a month of each other. A great time to be a fan of cinema.

Baby Driver was incredible, and I'll be in line to see this hoping (partially expecting) to say the same.

We're spoiled this summer between those two alone for sure

And to top it off apparently war of the Apes is even better than the last two movies.

Whewwww.

cyba89

Christopher Nolan and Edgar Wright, two of the best, have great films releasing within a month of each other. A great time to be a fan of cinema.

Baby Driver was incredible, and I'll be in line to see this hoping (partially expecting) to say the same.

Here in Germany these two movies even release on the same day.

Toa TAK

Banned

And to top it off apparently war of the Apes is even better than the last two movies.

Whewwww.

I'm finding that pretty hard to believe.

Not that it can't be done, but it's gonna be hard tempering expectations.

Z3M0G

Fuuuuck getting FURY ROAD vibes from those comments...

I NEED TO SEE THIS

Why is IMAX suddenly a thing? It's been around forever... but I've never been to one (actually I think I have but barely remember). Closest one is 3+ hours away. Is this film a first of its kind or something? Just the largest % filmed on 70mm?

Whewwww.

Yeah. It's nuts that almost week after week there are movies that'd, for me, carry their own summers. And I can see watching Dunkirk twice, maybe with a Valerian screening between them.

tenor.gif

Ashhong

Nope, just a place to sign up for Fandango alerts.

Will the official Dunkirk site give me info?

Doubt it. That site should work though. Try finding the IMAX version of the movie through the fandango homepage, changing the date to July 20 and your location

Dabanton

I've always found seeing a Nolan movie once it's always great. A second viewing though usually exposes major problems. TDKR, Interstellar, and especially Inception.

Booked my tickets for Dunkirk this last Sunday looking forward to it.

Dabanton

I couldn't finish Interstellar, barely got through DKR.

Interstellar is like a church service on acid. It only really worked in a IMAX cinema with a stellar sound system which could pound you with aural goodness. On a TV screen it lost major impact.

I've always found seeing a Nolan movie once it's always great. A second viewing though usually exposes major problems. TDKR, Interstellar, and especially Inception.

Booked my tickets for Dunkirk this last Sunday looking forward to it.

What aspect of Inception bothered you on repeat viewings? Were you picking out timeline issues? I enjoy going back to it more than most films and keeping finding additional depth to the characters and world.

Daft_Cat

Eh. Interstellar's one of the few movies that I think an eager fan could legitimately improve just by tossing it onto the Avid for a few hours. Chop (or distill) Hathaway's love monologue, clean up some of the "meanwhile on earth with Michael Caine" cutaways, and cut a big chunk of the library exposition, and you've easily got a flick that's up there with some of Nolan's best work.

big ander

aw man, I didn't realize Illinois had zero venues for 70mm IMAX. Interstellar in 15/70 was stunning. Gonna have to settle for 5/70...was really looking forward to the boxy AR. ah well.

Nope, just a place to sign up for Fandango alerts.

Will the official Dunkirk site give me info?

The bottom of this news item on IMAX's site has the info on all IMAX showings (both 70mm IMAX and IMAX w/laser) and this page right here has all the 70mm showings, both IMAX and 5/70mm.

I think the 70mm lists have been distributed pretty well (though normally w/o noting whether it's 15/70 or 5/70, so that site's still a good resource) but I had to dig to IMAX's site to find the digital list. so I figured I'd just c/p it over
Code:
[B][U]IMAX with laser[/U][/B]

[U]US and Canada[/U]

California
TCL Chinese Theatres IMAX – Hollywood

Florida
Autonation IMAX, Museum of Discovery & Science

Massachusetts
Sunbrella IMAX 3D Theater - Reading

Missouri
Branson's IMAX - Entertainment Complex – Branson

Texas
IMAX, The Bullock Texas State History Museum – Austin

Toronto
Scotiabank Toronto & IMAX

Virginia
Airbus IMAX, Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center – Chantilly

Washington
Boeing IMAX, Pacific Science Center

Washington DC
Lockheed Martin IMAX, National Air & Space Museum – National Mall

[U]International[/U]

Belgium
Kinepolis Brussels & IMAX – Brussels

France
Gaumont Montpellier Multiplexe & IMAX – Montpellier
Gaumont 15 Cinema & IMAX – Paris
Pathe La Valette & IMAX – La Valette-du-Var

Germany
Cinestar Berlin & IMAX – Berlin
Filmpalast am ZKM & IMAX – Karlsruhe
IMAX 3D, Sinsheim Auto & Technik Museum – Sinsheim

Italy
UCI Cinemas Orio & IMAX – Orio al Serio

Japan
109 Cinemas Osaka Expocity & IMAX – Osaka

Korea
CGV Yongsan IMAX Theater – Seoul

New Zealand
Event Cinemas Queen Street & IMAX – Auckland

Russia
Formula Kino Kutuzovsky & IMAX – Moscow

Taiwan
Miramar IMAX – Taipei

United Arab Emirates
VOX Cinemas & IMAX – Dubai

United Kingdom
Cineworld Leicester Square IMAX – London
Cineworld Sheffield & IMAX – Sheffield

Rixxan

aw man, I didn't realize Illinois had zero venues for 70mm IMAX. Interstellar in 15/70 was stunning. Gonna have to settle for 5/70...was really looking forward to the boxy AR. ah well.

Forgive me, but whats the difference between imax/laser and imax/70mm?

I stupidly purchased for imax laser at one of the theaters listed above, but didnt even see a 70mm option

I stupidly purchased for imax laser at one of the theaters listed above, but didnt even see a 70mm option

Laser is the best version of digital IMAX. 70mm is the best version of analog IMAX.

big ander

Someone much smarter than I made a handy guide explaining all the exhibition formats:

So choosing an IMAX laser showing isn't stupid at all, that's definitely the best way to see it digitally. It'll have a more square ratio compared to non-imax film and the dcp and the IMAX laser projection is supposed to be pristine.

Someone much smarter than I made a handy guide explaining all the exhibition formats:

So choosing an IMAX laser showing isn't stupid at all, that's definitely the best way to see it digitally. It'll have a more square ratio compared to non-imax film and the dcp and the IMAX laser projection is supposed to be pristine.

I'm still lost. What about fake IMAX to real IMAX. Our only real IMAX theater is doing laser. Fake IMAX has 70mm.

Isn't it better to see real IMAX no matter what?

Rixxan

I'm still lost. What about fake IMAX to real IMAX. Our only real IMAX theater is doing laser. Fake IMAX has 70mm.

If you're referring to the Ft Lauderdale IMAX, thats where I got my tickets

But am I losing out on 12k resolution? I mean holy shit am i reading that right?

4k vs 18k?

But am I losing out on 12k resolution? I mean holy shit am i reading that right?

4k vs 18k?

Yeah, that's the one. Yeah that seems crazy to me too. Not only that, 4K blown up as big as possible so resolution matters even more

Blader

Looking at that pic again, is it me or does IMAX Xenon/Liemax seem worse than even regular DCP?

IMAX 70mm is the best of the best. Laser IMAX is the best digital option.

Naturally, they're both pretty rare.

Draper

The bottom of this news item on IMAX's site has the info on all IMAX showings (both 70mm IMAX and IMAX w/laser) and this page right here has all the 70mm showings, both IMAX and 5/70mm.

I think the 70mm lists have been distributed pretty well (though normally w/o noting whether it's 15/70 or 5/70, so that site's still a good resource) but I had to dig to IMAX's site to find the digital list. so I figured I'd just c/p it over
Code:
[B][U]IMAX with laser[/U][/B]

[U]US and Canada[/U]

California
TCL Chinese Theatres IMAX – Hollywood

Florida
Autonation IMAX, Museum of Discovery & Science

Massachusetts
Sunbrella IMAX 3D Theater - Reading

Missouri
Branson's IMAX - Entertainment Complex – Branson

Texas
IMAX, The Bullock Texas State History Museum – Austin

Toronto
Scotiabank Toronto & IMAX

Virginia
Airbus IMAX, Stephen F. Udvar-Hazy Center – Chantilly

Washington
Boeing IMAX, Pacific Science Center

Washington DC
Lockheed Martin IMAX, National Air & Space Museum – National Mall

[U]International[/U]

Belgium
Kinepolis Brussels & IMAX – Brussels

France
Gaumont Montpellier Multiplexe & IMAX – Montpellier
Gaumont 15 Cinema & IMAX – Paris
Pathe La Valette & IMAX – La Valette-du-Var

Germany
Cinestar Berlin & IMAX – Berlin
Filmpalast am ZKM & IMAX – Karlsruhe
IMAX 3D, Sinsheim Auto & Technik Museum – Sinsheim

Italy
UCI Cinemas Orio & IMAX – Orio al Serio

Japan
109 Cinemas Osaka Expocity & IMAX – Osaka

Korea
CGV Yongsan IMAX Theater – Seoul

New Zealand
Event Cinemas Queen Street & IMAX – Auckland

Russia
Formula Kino Kutuzovsky & IMAX – Moscow

Taiwan
Miramar IMAX – Taipei

United Arab Emirates
VOX Cinemas & IMAX – Dubai

United Kingdom
Cineworld Leicester Square IMAX – London
Cineworld Sheffield & IMAX – Sheffield

Good info, thanks.

It does seem like the official site does allow you to sort through 70mm/imax

http://tickets.dunkirkmovie.com/

big ander

4k vs 18k?
Eh...You can search all over and find people calculating comparisons. But you can't make it one to one because, well, celluloid doesn't have pixels. The resolution is approximated.

For that reason I wouldn't think of it as "losing" 12k in resolution. Non-laser IMAX will more than likely look great. However, I would put non-IMAX 70mm (aka 5/70mm) over IMAX Xenon. (and I personally might even choose 35mm over xenon. I like film.)

If there's a 5/70mm showing in a reasonable distance, it'd be worth it to you and wesker to look into that over the "Liemax." Ultimately, though, if that's the only format you can see it in, you'll be fine. Barring a shit venue you'll have a good exhibition.
Looking at that pic again, is it me or does IMAX Xenon/Liemax seem worse than even regular DCP?
I think maybe the pictures are just weird. In theaters the liemax image should be larger and clearer.

Draper

Fuck it, I don't know where to go in Fort Collins, so I'll see an 'XD' showing at my local Cinemark. It's an amazing theater.

Ashhong

Isn't it better to see real IMAX no matter what?

Wait, what makes you think it's a fake IMAX? If it's an IMAX theater doing 70mm showing, it's not fake.

ScouserPants

Neo Member
There seem to be conflicting lists when it comes to the theaters.

I live near the Minnesota Zoo IMAX. For whatever reason, some of the lists don't even have MN listed despite knowing for a fact that the theater will have it. We actually have 3 "true" IMAX theaters, but sadly, only one shows Hollywood movies.

If you're confused just make sure to search by IMAX theaters that are 15/70mm. 15/70 is straight up traditional film and offers the highest resolution (18k, most notable for the 90ft tall screens), followed by standard 70mm (12k), and then IMAX laser (digital, 6k).

Whenever a movie comes out in this format I gladly pay the $18. The experience is unforgettable.

Minus_Me

Hmm maybe someone can help me.

According to their website, Scotia Bank Montreal will be showing this in 70mm, but that will not be Imax 70mm? These are two different things I'm guessing?

Top Bottom