• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Dunkirk impressions (Social Media embargo lifted)

JB1981

Wtf @ the music?

I think IMAX with laser is my best option. I saw The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX at the Tropicana IMAX in Atlantic City and although the IMAX scenes did look incredible the screen was pretty gigantic, I found the decibel level so high it diminished my enjoyment of the movie. I have chronic tinnitus in my left ear and these kinds of movies tend to inflame it.

big ander

Hmm maybe someone can help me.

According to their website, Scotia Bank Montreal will be showing this in 70mm, but that will not be Imax 70mm? These are two different things I'm guessing?
Yea that's in the guides I posted above. 5/70mm at your theater. That means five perforations running vertically. 15/70mm is IMAX and means fifteen perforations running horizontally.

Minus_Me

Yea that's in the guides I posted above. 5/70mm at your theater. That means five perforations running vertically. 15/70mm is IMAX and means fifteen perforations running horizontally.

Ah boo,

Thanks for the prompt response!

Not a huge fan of Nolan, but the running time and the comparison to a silent movie have really piqued my interest.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Nolan gunna need to earn back my fandom. Hopefully this does it but we'll see.

JB1981

Can someone tell me if this means the Trop IMAX is digital only?

https://tropicana.net/entertainment/imax-theatre/

Tropicana’s IMAX Theatre, located on the third floor of The Quarter, seats 280. Crystal-clear images projected up to five-and-a-half stories high and digital surround sound awaken the senses and captivate the imagination. The IMAX Theatre at Tropicana offers both IMAX DMR (digital media remastering) and IMAX 3D, the most advanced 3D film technology in use. The theatre provides viewers with polarized glasses that reveal the stunning 3D images

Dabanton

What aspect of Inception bothered you on repeat viewings? Were you picking out timeline issues? I enjoy going back to it more than most films and keeping finding additional depth to the characters and world.

The entire movie as exposition it stands out more on a second viewing. That, along with lackluster action sequences, marion cotillard's really rubbish character. The slow mo car sequence.

ScouserPants

Neo Member
Hmm maybe someone can help me.

According to their website, Scotia Bank Montreal will be showing this in 70mm, but that will not be Imax 70mm? These are two different things I'm guessing?

If I'm reading this website correctly your theater should be 15 perf 70mm. So it's traditional film should be projected on a 90ft tall screen. Straight 70mm is what Hateful Eight did and is usually shown on a smaller screen.

I would call and double check with the theater. Both formats are excellent, but if you can see the larger format one go with that one.

*reference website*
Format: 1570/D <--- this is how you can tell what kind of IMAX theater it is
http://www.lfexaminer.com/searchResults.asp?SearchType=Theater&sname=Montreal+BS+Cpx

ScouserPants

Neo Member

DirtyLarry

I am a big movie person and luckily my wife is as well. We have no kids, we are in our early 40's and are not bar or party types, so we go to the movies a lot on the weekends. We have have done so for many, many years. Basically since we first started dating 17 years ago now the movies have been our thing.

I sincerely cannot remember 3 weeks in a row I have been so excited for the movies being released. It started this past week with SpiderMan, continues this weekend with War For The Planet Of The Apes, then of course it ends with Dunkirk. The movie I am most excited for.

I fully accept and expect the first 2 films to be summer entertainment for the most part. Well actually maybe not with Apes, I hope it gets a little deep. But I still expect a blockbuster.

With Dunkirk I expect a truly visceral emotional experience. These impressions just have me more amped, but honestly even if every single one said it was the worst movie ever made, that would not have changed my personal excitement. Nolan is one of the best to do it the past 20 years. It is as simple as that for myself. When I first heard he was doing a WWII movie however many years ago it was now, I just knew that was all she wrote. In nothing but the best way.

I truly cannot fucking wait.

Wait, what makes you think it's a fake IMAX? If it's an IMAX theater doing 70mm showing, it's not fake.

There is only one real IMAX screen in south Florida and it's in the museum of science in Ft. lauderdale and that has laser only.

Adventure AMC has liemax and has the 70mm showing. Plus it seems the 70mm version is only playing on a normal screen. The majority of 70mm versions are not on imax.

So is it worth watching 70mm on a regular screen or going for the true IMAX experience.

Jigolo

There is only one real IMAX screen in south Florida and it's in the museum of science in Ft. lauderdale and that has laser only.

Adventure AMC has liemax and has the 70mm showing. Plus it seems the 70mm version is only playing on a normal screen. The majority of 70mm versions are not on imax.

So is it worth watching 70mm on a regular screen or going for the true IMAX experience.

It's not Laser only. Although they haven't brought out the 15/70mm IMAX projector since they switched to laser last September, they still have it there. I saw someone ask them in the youtube comments. That was a while back though so they could've gotten rid of the projector by now. Personally this is the one movie they should've put it out for (if they do still have it)... but they decided not to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swxLpjhRPuY

UN9N5cx.png

zsynqx

y2dvd

I was disappointed with Interstellar, but I'm getting hype from all of these early impressions.

In Nolan We Trust

Plumpman

Anyone know if the Idaho Boise 21 IMAX is an actual 70mm projector?
I'm seeing very conflicting information about all this...

Does dual projection count?

Llyranor

I did a quick search on the main site and it doesn't list among the exclusive 70mm locations. And I don't see anything mentioning 70mm next to Imax on the actual theater site.

It is not anymore, must have converted it to digital sometime after Interstellar as I saw the 70mm there as well as Rises.

Plumpman

It is not anymore, must have converted it to digital sometime after Interstellar as I saw the 70mm there as well as Rises.

I actually saw Interstellar there as well haha, that's why I was curious.
Well, its my only option so its better than nothing! Excited.

I'm so long past trusting others' reactions - to Nolan films especially.

Wright also tweeted that Interstellar was incredible back in the day. Johnson was such a fanboy of Interstellar that he interviewed Nolan for an evening about it.

I hope it is a masterpiece, but I pity anybody walking into the cinema with 'masterpiece' as their expectation bar.

Ashhong

Wright also tweeted that Interstellar was incredible back in the day. Johnson was such a fanboy of Interstellar that he interviewed Nolan for an evening about it.

I hope it is a masterpiece, but I pity anybody walking into the cinema with 'masterpiece' as their expectation bar.

Cannot roll my eyes hard enough

Zyae

Interstellar was incredible.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hearing it's not massively character focused is a boon, and should hopefully avoid Nolan's tendency to divert towards nonsensical melodramatic tripe. It also fits the theme of war, the scale of the Dunkirk evacuation, and the importance of covering many human fronts in a broad conflict. Nolan's directional and production work is usually on point, so maybe this is the movie where being based on a historic event and one that contextually calls for a broader scope of characters instead of specific character intimacy are traits that anchor Nolan's strengths away from his weaknesses.

Not listening to the pre-hype though. No slight to Nolan or the people hyping, but this song and dance is done with so, so, so many movies regardless of who is behind the camera and screenplay. Early hype is always blind sighted and I find for me personally very rarely an accurate gauge of how I'll feel.

Definitely going to IMAX this one though. Got a mate who is equally keen, especially for a new WW2 flick.

UraMallas

The thing about this film is it very consciously veers away from character development. It's very in-the-moment kinda filmmaking

I liked that, tho. In this situation, soldiers & rescuers were all thrown together. No one really knew anyone. It was all about survival

So don't expect some 20-min monologue about some girl some dude has back home. No time for that. It's all go! go! go! Now RUN!
https://twitter.com/ErikDavis

Interesting.

Is this like the Fury Road of war movies then? I'm so down for that.

Noctilum

I have no interest in the subject of the movie but damn I guess I'll have to see it. I regret not seeing Interstellar in the theater. I had no interest in that movie either and it ended up being one of my favorites.

Dommo

Is this like the Fury Road of war movies then? I'm so down for that.

I mean, Fury Road is jam-pack full of character development. It's just broken down through action rather than dialogue. Whether Dunkirk will be the same and this guy just missed that is yet to be seen, but I'm starting to wonder if it's more like United 93, a film that's actually extremely light on character development, and instead paints an intense, vivid picture of a single event from a variety of points of view.

UraMallas

I mean, Fury Road is jam-pack full of character development. It's just broken down through action rather than dialogue. Whether Dunkirk will be the same and this guy just missed that is yet to be seen, but I'm starting to wonder if it's more like United 93, a film that's actually extremely light on character development, and instead paints an intense, vivid picture of a single event from a variety of points of view.

Hmm. I'm hoping for the former. Still want to see it, either way.

Top Bottom