• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Dunkirk impressions (Social Media embargo lifted)

Montresor

Tarantino is still my favourite director but Nolan's filmography is going to be incredible once he dies.

Memento
Batman Begins
Dark Knight
Dark Knight Rises
Inception
Interstellar
Dunkirk

I can't remember anything about his movie Insomnia - I may have to re-watch. And I thought his first movie Following was mediocre.

The shame is that like Tarantino, this director takes his sweet time. I don't want to wait another 3 years for the next Nolan film, yeah? And for sure we'll be waiting awhile for the next Tarantino movie too.

Question for anyone who knows

I'm supposed to be getting back from my deployment at the time this releases. But will miss it's opening probably by around a week. Think they'll still be showing the 70mm version in IMAX?

Chris1

Tarantino is still my favourite director but Nolan's filmography is going to be incredible once he dies.

Memento
Batman Begins
Dark Knight
Dark Knight Rises
Inception
Interstellar
Dunkirk

I can't remember anything about his movie Insomnia - I may have to re-watch. And I thought his first movie Following was mediocre.

The shame is that like Tarantino, this director takes his sweet time. I don't want to wait another 3 years for the next Nolan film, yeah? And for sure we'll be waiting awhile for the next Tarantino movie too.
Yeah dude has a stellar record. I'm not particularly excited about the movie itself but Nolan hasn't let me down yet so he has my faith.

To think he's still pretty young and will no doubt have at least a handful more amazing movies, by the time he's done directing he's definitely gonna leave his mark (hell I'd argue he already has with the batman trilogy alone)

yuraya

Memento
Batman Begins
Dark Knight
Dark Knight Rises
Inception
Interstellar
Dunkirk

Nolan is missing a great horror movie on his resume. I hope he does that next. or goes back to comic book films. Let him direct a Flash trilogy :D oh man.

I m happy to see a non gory War movie doing well as I was under the impression that people thought it was neccessary for this genre. It's not.

Don't know why people would think that. Many of the greatest war films were made in an era where even PG-13 level violence couldn't be shown. There's more facets of war to explore than the horrific carnage.

Nolan is missing a great horror movie on his resume. I hope he does that next. or goes back to comic book films. Let him direct a Flash trilogy :D oh man.

I can't really see him returning to that well, or doing a horror movie for that matter. Maybe something kind of grandiose and Shining-esque if he did.

Really though, I think one thing I'd expect to eventually see from him is an attempt at the traditional classical Hollywood epic. Something like Lawrence of Arabia.

Really though, I think one thing I'd expect to eventually see from him is an attempt at the traditional classical Hollywood epic. Something like Lawrence of Arabia.

Yeah he definitely fashions himself as the torch bearer for David Lean so I could definitely see something like that. I'm really excited for Dunkirik though specifically because he made an effort to trim down the film as much as possible.

effzee

I doubt he ever directs another comic book movie again. Unless it's Batman again under some special circumstances.

He mentioned that he liked the Batman character and how grounded he can be. Don't think other characters fit that mold.

In Nolan we trust.

Only thing that needs to be said really.
Imo he's the best director out there atm.

Really glad this seems to be stupendous achievement in cinema.

I remember thinking wtf is Nolan making a war film when rumours were floating about his next project.
But after the first trailer with the ticking clock I was sold. Can't wait!

I love that he does this range of films that all have pretty cool high concepts. Arguably not all of them land well but for a big budget filmaker it feels relatively unique to do that and not have developed his own tropes and cliches that identify it as a Nolan-film. Maybe he does, maybe it'll happen soon but may the varied filmography long continue.

The most disappointing thing about a Nolan-Bond film would be if it felt just like a classic Bond film. Would need to refresh things again.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

He needs to finally make that Heat-esque crime movie he clearly wanted to make with his batmen movies.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Memento
Batman Begins
Dark Knight
Dark Knight Rises
Inception
Interstellar
Dunkirk

Insomnia as well though maybe that's not well liked on GAF in general. I love it though (Dark Knight Rises is his only film I really don't like)

Sounds great! Shame we don't have Imax in Finland.

Can't wait all the critic this movie will surely get in form of gifs, proving how lackluster this movie actually is. ;)

Pilgore

Neo Member
I love that he does this range of films that all have pretty cool high concepts. Arguably not all of them land well but for a big budget filmaker it feels relatively unique to do that and not have developed his own tropes and cliches that identify it as a Nolan-film. Maybe he does, maybe it'll happen soon but may the varied filmography long continue.

The most disappointing thing about a Nolan-Bond film would be if it felt just like a classic Bond film. Would need to refresh things again.

I think a Nolan horror film would be great, make it Shining-esq. He's already demonstrated his love for Kubrick with Interstellar (2001) and I think there's definitely a gap there around the horror genre for a big IMAX physiological horror film that can actually bring something new to the table. Though I think with recent movies like The Witch, Get Out, Following and It Comes At Night the horror genre has become quite competitive lately. Just not on that big Nolan-IMAX scale yet.

Question for anyone who knows

I'm supposed to be getting from my deployment at the time this releases. But will miss it's opening probably by around a week. Think they'll still be showing the 70mm version in IMAX?

It has at least a month engagement in IMAX so unless it's an outright flop you will be fine.

FTF

Memento
Batman Begins
Dark Knight
Dark Knight Rises
Inception
Interstellar
Dunkirk

You forgot The Prestige???

You could easily swap out TDKR for The Prestige on that list if you want it to be more solid. Inception and Interstellar (especially) have big flaws but the highs outnumber the lows for me, easily.

I can't really see him returning to that well, or doing a horror movie for that matter. Maybe something kind of grandiose and Shining-esque if he did.

Wasn't there a rumor that Inception was originally more horror or thriller-like originally? I thought that the Mal flashbacks had some fantastic moments in them.

That said, I don't think he'd do a straight horror movie, which is a shame.

Memento
Batman Begins
Dark Knight
Dark Knight Rises
Inception
Interstellar
Dunkirk

You forgot The Prestige???

I would take out Rises and add The Prestige(one of his best IMO), very impressive list.

I doubt he ever directs another comic book movie again. Unless it's Batman again under some special circumstances.

He mentioned that he liked the Batman character and how grounded he can be. Don't think other characters fit that mold.

Daredevil could work great for a grounded character, although it would never happen.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm lucky enough to have both IMAX and 70mm screening options in my city. Which one would be the best choice?

I visited the website and still do not know which is preferred. Thanks!

Timu

Memento
Batman Begins
Dark Knight
Dark Knight Rises
Inception
Interstellar
Dunkirk

Interstellar isn't that great but had some good things about it at least, though I must say his filmography is impressive indeed!

So if I have an IMAX 70mm near me, is this the real deal preferred way of watching? There's none of that 'real' IMAX vs. LieMax or any weird shenanigans like that, is there?

Chris1

I don't know who David Ehrlich is.. Why is his particular tweet so interesting? Does he typically dislike Nolan movies or what?

Christopher Nolan and Edgar Wright, two of the best, have great films releasing within a month of each other. A great time to be a fan of cinema.

Baby Driver was incredible, and I'll be in line to see this hoping (partially expecting) to say the same.

zsynqx

Christopher Nolan and Edgar Wright, two of the best, have great films releasing within a month of each other. A great time to be a fan of cinema.

Baby Driver was incredible, and I'll be in line to see this hoping (partially expecting) to say the same.

Both with underwhelming initial trailers :)

zsynqx

People are asking if I have seen #Dunkirk. The answer is yes and I think it is the first serious Best Picture contender of the year.

Re my Dunkirk tweet. I love Get Out and would love it to get a Best Picture nod but the last horror film to win BP was Silence of the Lambs.

https://twitter.com/RichardCrouse/status/884817527712477185

I don't like this much positivity, where the fuck is Armond White?!

Are you thinking of the same Baby Driver trailer I am? Cause that thing was amazing

This one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9YZw_X5UzQ

International one was pretty good but still didn't do justice to the film .

Top Bottom