• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Dunkirk impressions (Social Media embargo lifted)

JCHandsom

H1yCNVn.jpg

Beaten.

I don't know or trust any of these people in the OP, so I'll wait for critics' impressions from David Ehrlich, Guy Lodge, Peter Bradshaw, and Mark Kermode instead.

I don't know or trust any of these people in the OP, so I'll wait for critics' impressions from David Ehrlich, Guy Lodge, Peter Bradshaw, and Mark Kermode instead.

Stephen Whitty (NJ Star Ledger) and Jake Coyle (AP) are 'Top Critics' on RT, so it's not all total no-namers. Nonetheless, still being cautious on how good the film is.

SeanC

Seeing it this week, was a little on the fence but some of these blurbs make it sound more intriguing than I originally assumed.

Stephen Whitty (NJ Star Ledger) and Jake Coyle (AP) are 'Top Critics' on RT, so it's not all total no-namers. Nonetheless, still being cautious on how good the film is.
I don't follow Jake Coyle, but I'm more concerned by Collider, Fandango, and Kevin McCarthy (he does great interviews, but kind of a brown noser).

zsynqx

I want to see how it stacks up with Saving Private Ryan with my own eyes. Looking forward to it.

Sounds like it's going for something very different. If you go in expecting another Saving Private Ryan I'm gunna guess that you'll end up disappointed.

effzee

Early reviews tend to be the ones lavishing the most praise.

Yeah exactly don't trust them! You have to watch a movie 10 times, freeze frame every scene, catch the extras doing something unscripted, catch the fake punches, and then you can truly judge a movie.

Jigolo

Nolan's first movie had very little dialogue as well if I'm remembering correctly... the black and white one

WaterAstro

Sounds like it's going for something very different. If you go in expecting another Saving Private Ryan I'm gunna guess that you'll end up disappointed.

Nah, just want to compare the quality of war movies. Doesn't need to be a documentary-like movie like Spielberg's style.

As long as it brings the intensity and feels.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
A Nolan movie with little dialogue sounds like a positive, since that's one of his weaknesses.

Ridley327

damn mild spoilers didn't know it was nonlinear

So in for this. Sounds like IMAX it is too

I mean, non-linear is kind of Nolan's thing. Honestly, I can think of only The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises as having straightforward progression. Everything else he's done has been very much playing around with time as a storytelling tool. I'm definitely interested to see how he's done it here, which I don't think the impressions go into that much detail about.

zsynqx

The thing about this film is it very consciously veers away from character development. It's very in-the-moment kinda filmmaking
I liked that, tho. In this situation, soldiers & rescuers were all thrown together. No one really knew anyone. It was all about survival
So don't expect some 20-min monologue about some girl some dude has back home. No time for that. It's all go! go! go! Now RUN!
https://twitter.com/ErikDavis

Interesting.

Top Bottom