• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Dunkirk impressions (Social Media embargo lifted)

Daft_Cat

As long as it brings the intensity and feels.

Intensity, definitely. But the emotion I'm expecting it to deliver is a more complex issue. It's been described as a cold film - breathless, unsentimental. A numbing experience that captures the subjective fear and futility of the event without moralizing it. I wouldn't expect this to have the same tear-jerking quality that Saving Private Ryan has, for example. History shows that the evacuation ends on a hopeful note, but otherwise I expect this film to be more along the lines of United 93 in terms of "feels". In other words, a genuine sense of presence and a level of sheer fight-or-flight intensity that overrides other emotions.

4Tran

I'm pretty interested in Dunkirk and the events surrounding the battle, but the more I hear about this film the more I'm convinced that it's not my cup of tea. A shame really because there are a lot of myths surrounding the real events and I'm sure that a film that addresses them would be worth seeing.

Still can't get past the PG-13 rating. I'll wait for full reviews.

Different war movies can be about different aspects of war. Where Saving Private Ryan is, at least in part, about the brutal horrors of the violence of war. Dunkirk is supposed to be placing more emphasis on the tension of impending doom. Violence and gore isn't necessary to communicate that idea.

Many of the best war films ever were made in an era where they couldn't even show as much violence as a PG-13 movie can nowadays.

Dominator

The hype I have for this is kind of making me not think about Apes in a few days, so I might even enjoy that movie more cause its not on my mind anymore lol

I can't wait for Dunkirk. The wait is painful.

cyba89

Have my tickets for the 70mm version.

Not sure if I'm more excited for the Nolan big screen spectacle or for that Zimmer score.

Has Nolan ever made a less-than-great movie?

tumblr_mdlay17Ovg1ruaha0o3_500.gif

I'm pretty interested in Dunkirk and the events surrounding the battle, but the more I hear about this film the more I'm convinced that it's not my cup of tea. A shame really because there are a lot of myths surrounding the real events and I'm sure that a film that addresses them would be worth seeing.
There are already documentaries, like the new one called Dunkirk: The New Evidence. It's absolutely worth seeing.

Osahi

The hype I have for this is kind of making me not think about Apes in a few days, so I might even enjoy that movie more cause its not on my mind anymore lol

I can't wait for Dunkirk. The wait is painful.

I'm in holiday when it comes out and won't be able to catch it until august 6 at the earliest. Unless I go in Vietnam, but I leave Ho Chi Minh City (the only Imax city in the country) the day it releases.

Rises and Interstellar were very meh-tacular

Rises I'll agree with you (I think that's pretty universal) but it's disingenuous to say Interstellar is "meh-tacular" rather than just divisive. There was a thread on it recently where it was split fairly evenly between people who were underwhelmed and people who think it sits among his best work.

3N16MA

Banned
I'm a fan of Interstellar and Rises is not great but far
from trash. Nolan is still on a nice streak as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe I grew out of Nolan a little or maybe it's the fact that all his movies after TDK have been rather subpar and don't hold up on a rewatch, but I can't get myself hyped for this. Still waiting for something to get me interested, but I don't know what it is (it's not early impressions for sure).

Maybe I grew out of Nolan a little or maybe it's the fact that all his movies after TDK have been rather subpar and don't hold up on a rewatch, but I can't get myself hyped for this. Still waiting for something to get me interested, but I don't know what it is (it's not early impressions for sure).

YUou don't think Inception benefits from a rewatch?

mnannola

I'm a big fan of Nolan, but his last few films really haven't been rewatchable. Hopefully since this movie is under 2 hours it will help in that regard.

kewlmyc

Interests peaked, though the way they describe the movie is kinda weird. Will give a watch if reviews come out and it's positive.

Also, I thought this was rated R. Pretty rare for war movies to get PG-13 ratings.

Rises I'll agree with you (I think that's pretty universal) but it's disingenuous to say Interstellar is "meh-tacular" rather than just divisive. There was a thread on it recently where it was split fairly evenly between people who were underwhelmed and people who think it sits among his best work.
The problem with Interstellar is that it's a bad movie made VERY well. It's Transformers for the pseudo intellectual demographic.
Edit: I say this as someone who is a huge fan of pretty much all of Nolans work, except for Interstellar.

Rises was pretty critically acclaimed and well-regarded upon release, so no I'd hardly consider that opinion universal. I love Rises because I see it as a very popular conclusion to his Batman trilogy, and very entertaining as well. A five second "bad" scene hardly takes away from the "experience" for me.

The problem with Interstellar is that it's a bad movie made VERY well. It's Transformers for the pseudo intellectual demographic.
Edit: I say this as someone who is a huge fan of pretty much all of Nolans work, except for Interstellar.

A post so edgy that my retinas were cut.

lel

Top Bottom