• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early impressions from RPS for ME:A. It's... not good

d00d3n

It is RPS reviewing an RPG. How did they review New Vegas again? They said it was a trash game with lousy quests and particularly awful world building (because there were too few visible crops in the sharecropper farms, so the world obviously lacked any logical consistency!)

Lister

Banned
Welp. This was worrisome to me, but not anymore.

This is such a weird, juvenile attitude to have toward a stance/opinion or what have you.

12 year olds are usually taught, in school, or at least I was, about logical fallacies. I tend to look at the argument and weigh evidence provided. I don't go dismissing arguments because of something external to them.

Do the issues pointed out in the article, at least the ones supported with examples bother you 5 minutes before you heard he didn't like the witcher? Why do they not bother you now, suddenly?

You definitely didn't play Witcher 1. :p You spend the entire game trying to get access to places in a big city while being repeatedly shut out because you're not a person of high standing, not until the end.

You should do some reading, you're clearly out of touch.

Or...maybe...just maybe you are reading too much into other people's posts. Clearly everyone has an agenda.

ChazGW7

This doesn't need its own thread... One negative preview from a dude that trashes RPG's constantly. Hyperbolic to the max, and im not even much of a ME fan and DA:I was a huge disappointment. Why can't this be in the Preview thread?

The game looks fine, bar the weird facial animations. This thread + the graphical downgrade thread its as if a sizable chunk of GAF wants this game to fail, what is going on? There is no constructive discussion, just people going "I knew this game would suck lol"

bombshell

Push the button from one negative preview out of many positive ones?

Also, did you really have to copy and paste the entire article?

It looks like he didn't read the Terms of Service of this forum.

C. Copyrighted Material

Full transcriptions of articles and whole or partially-scanned images (e.g. magazine scans) are prohibited. Standard fair-use policies apply, and sources should always be attributed.

Ushay

hqdefault.jpg

Ye I stopped reading here too.

You definitely didn't play Witcher 1. :p You spend the entire game trying to get access to places in a big city while being repeatedly shut out because you're not a person of high standing, not until the end.
That's not entirely true. Being a friend of a witch opens you many doors and many important people come asking for you on a regular basis.

You can have sex with the Princess even, if you want to.

Bunga

Maybe he is not outright a chosen one, but he seems to be able to get access to a lot of people by just walking up the the castle or fortress. He manages to effect the entire nations and he manages to solve things no one else can. He is always in the right place at the right time

He's a paid monster hunter/killer. I figure that if there are monsters roaming your lands killing people/destroying crops etc. that as a leader of that nation/region then you would probably turn to Geralt to fix that. Not all that surprising that he gets in on political circles.

mlclmtckr

Banned
An RPG where your character isn't special or "the one", would be terribly boring. And when important events happen without your input or involvement because of how unimportant you are, you'd question why you would even invest in a fictional world where your purpose in that world mirrors the mundaneness of your ordinary everyday life. I've read those fantasy and sci-fi novels where you follow a bit character during an interesting period of time, and it's generally not rewarding at all.

You are named after a regular Joe space trucker who lives in an interesting time and has to rise to the occasion in spite of being a normal dude. He even gets shit for thinking he's special when he's just well-situated and accidentally famous.

Nah, look at the Witcher. Yes, Geralt is a special character in the world (as a mutant monster slayer) but he's just one guy and people don't fawn all over him at every opportunity - he's often treated like shit and he's typically a pawn when he gets involved politics. Despite that, through the player's action he overcomes all that to become a very crucial (the most crucial?) person in the game world.

And he earns it, it's not given to him. If you had been playing as Ciri, who very much IS that 'Special Chosen One' type character, the game would have been nowhere as interesting.

Everybody apparently knows the Pathfinder in this game, because it is a unique role within the colonisation mission. Clearly RPS is upset that this title creates respect an admiration from some people without it being earned. In the Witcher, your title as a Witcher gives people an instant negative impression of you based on world prejudice towards witcher's. That isn't earned as well, but is a stigma to overcome. A Pathfinder that resents the burden placed on them by a Father in charge is just Witcher flipped upside down.

Yikes, sounding like a real dookie bomb.

You read the other previews too?
Bizarre that ONE negative preview for some of ya'll means batten down the hatches lol

It's good to have some folks with different opinions on games reviewing them and playing the Witcher 3 is very similar to eating cardboard.

Yes, you and RPS dude are entitled to your
misguided
opinion regarding TW3, going by the overwhelming general consensus :p

Vengal

Seems like there are multiple sites with the whole opening of the game, plus i imagine multiple people who have directly played who may or may not gel with your opinions. Seems like I don't gel with that particular RPS writer's game tastes, would be like me reviewing a moba.

That being said watching those early game segments you can clearly see a lot of the weaknesses of the old ME games are still present. If you are still unsure how to feel about the game check out the videos that are out there or wait till tomorrow because you're going to get a 10 hour preview from ALOT of people.

You are named after a regular Joe space trucker who lives in an interesting time and has to rise to the occasion in spite of being a normal dude. He even gets shit for thinking he's special when he's just well-situated and accidentally famous.

I care less about ones origin than their role in the story. Holden is a space trucker, but his central role in every major solar conflict turns him into "the one" just like most other Fantasy Sci-Fi protagonists. So people don't like the One unless it's a reluctant hero from a commoner past? That is just as much of a trope.

I'm by no means a Bioware fanboy, I'm fairly critical, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy every single one of their games enough for at least one playthrough. I'll still get it because I can't fathom they fuck up real bad. I thought dragon age inquisition was fine and don't hate it nearly as much as other people. I'll be fine.

Schlorgan

It is RPS reviewing an RPG. How did they review New Vegas again? They said it was a trash game with lousy quests and particularly awful world building (because there were too few visible crops in the sharecropper farms, so the world obviously lacked any logical consistency!)
Wait wat.

Is this real?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Sounds like Mass Effect Inquisition, which is what we all feared. I'll be waiting a while before buying, if at all.

I LOVED the original Mass Effect trilogy.

From what we've seen, there's something definitely off about this game, to me. I just can't put my finger on it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Side quests feel like something from a 2004 Korean MMO. Just complete nothingness, running from map icon to map icon, scanning objects with your scanner when told to, and then AI companion SAM letting you know that, yup, the source of the defects has been found/animal has been captured/toddler reunited with rabid tiger, despite your actually doing nothing relevant to the tissue-thin narrative.

Sounds like Dragon Age Inquisition to me

DOWN

Banned
Why am I not surprised this one preview got its own thread?

Despite the guy clearly being considered of terrible opinion with much of GAF. He said playing Witcher 3 is like eating cardboard and one of GAF's top 10 GOTY winners INSIDE:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/07/inside-review-pc/

He described INSIDE as "an empty, procedural, albeit often beautiful platform game with not a single original idea in its belt" and called the ending "utterly dreadful."

Yeah I don't gel with this dude's views at all lol

But okay, let's take his preview that sits contrary to the other previews as if it's normal and this guy is aligned with everyone's experiences gaming. Let's ignore that his negativity is his brand as he is straight up described on the site as their resident "grumbler."

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/14/mass-effect-andromeda-review-opening-hours/
Yeah, about that. The first few hours of Andromeda are a gruesome trudge through the most trite bilge of the previous three games, smeared out in a setting that’s horribly familiar, burdened with some outstandingly awful writing, buried beneath a UI that appears to have been designed to infuriate in every possible way.

But then

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/23/mass-effect-andromeda-is-looking-good/
I went into the Andromeda preview feeling trepidatious. I came out excited and anxious to play more. Most important is that it feels like Mass Effect, and it looks like it’s building on the best aspects of the previous games. Speaking with Condominas, it’s clear this is their aim.

ShruggingShoulders.png

I kind of feel like this game will be the DA2 of the ME series. Derided by most of the fanbase but very beloved by some. Having watched the first couple hours online nothing about it seemed offensively bad to me but it all just seemed kind of "meh" and cliche. "Bioware By The Numbers" seems like a good descriptor for what I saw. At bare minimum it was interesting enough for me to want to see more.

What I've seen of the game past the intro looked a lot better than the intro itself. Having said all of that, the fact that this game has a specific (almost Collector-like?) "big bad" is a bummer to me. I kind of just wanted the overarching story be "find a home" and not "find a home while fighting big bad".

obeast

Maybe he is not outright a chosen one, but he seems to be able to get access to a lot of people by just walking up the the castle or fortress. He manages to effect the entire nations and he manages to solve things no one else can. He is always in the right place at the right time

The problem is more basic than that, though. It's not just that Bioware NPCs fawn over your player (although they always do), it's that they often feel like they don't have any agency of their own. They have personality traits, beliefs, and desires, but the player is the one who either changes or drives them.

One of the many ways in which the writing in The Witcher 3 is solid is that NPCs -- even, say, your love interests -- seem like that have ideas and motivations of their own, and Geralt has a pretty limited ability to alter them. He can help, hinder, or ignore various tasks involving NPCs, but there are few, if any, situations in which you feel like another character is simply frozen in time waiting for the player to assign them meaning or purpose.

All that said, I still enjoy Bioware's games, by and large, and have preordered ME:A. I have a pretty high tolerance for awkward writing in character-driven RPGs, which I just generally adore.

Bl@de

Side quests feel like something from a 2004 Korean MMO. Just complete nothingness, running from map icon to map icon, scanning objects with your scanner when told to, and then AI companion SAM letting you know that, yup, the source of the defects has been found/animal has been captured/toddler reunited with rabid tiger, despite your actually doing nothing relevant to the tissue-thin narrative.

raw

Hari Seldon

I'm not sure if Bioware's writing has gotten worse, or if the rest of the industry has just massively surpassed them (indy RPGs, Horizons, Witcher, et. al), but man the last few games of theirs were like Hallmark Channel level writing. They are supposed to be the gold standard of writing, you historically put up with Bioware jank in order to get to the writing. Needless to say I'm highly skeptical about this game.

tayls129

I've felt like I haven't had a real reason to care about this game if it's not doing something new. I'm a huge Mass Effect fan, but I'm not immediately pre-disposed to be excited about this because a massive draw of the trilogy is that I bonded with these characters and universe and want to see how it all plays out. For all the flak the third one got, it did wrap up the story and character threads, so I'm seeing this one as a simple cash in on the property. It needs to be very strong to get us all on board.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Why am I not surprised this one preview got its own thread?

Despite the guy clearly being considered of terrible opinion with much of GAF. He said playing Witcher 3 is like eating cardboard and one of GAF's top 10 GOTY winners INSIDE:

But okay, let's take his preview that sits contrary to the other previews as if it's normal and this guy is aligned with everyone's experiences gaming. Let's ignore that his negativity is his brand as he is straight up described on the site as their resident "grumbler."

He's entitled to his opinion.

The problem is the thread title says "early impressions" (plural) are not good when this is really the only really negative one so far and there are several positive ones. This really could have just been discussed in the existing previews/impressions thread IMO. I wish GAF had a report post feature as I have no idea which mods are best to PM etc with such concerns.

I was expecting Andomedida to be more similar to the Omega DLC for ME3 and these impressions seem to conform to that. Worse writing and characters, but better gameplay and better and more imaginative encounter design.

watershed

Banned
I really wonder how bad and unintuitive the UI and menus are because those things tend to stand out very quickly. Even if other previewers don't rate it as important or detrimental, I find most people don't disagree on bad menu design or user interface.

obeast

I think the issue was that it was a relatively weak year and very close to the honeymoon period for many

As has been pointed out repeatedly, I think a lot of the issue is that people with a relatively positive impression of DA:I (like me) assumed that the MMO-style questing was a necessary consequence of having a big open world. I was personally fine with that tradeoff -- I like big worlds, which improve my sense of immersion even when they largely suck -- although I didn't particularly enjoy my time collecting pelts and such. Then TW3 proved that it wasn't, making the game seem retroactively crappy.

Top Bottom