• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early impressions from RPS for ME:A. It's... not good

Lister

Banned
So...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/14/mass-effect-andromeda-review-opening-hours/

But then

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/23/mass-effect-andromeda-is-looking-good/

ShruggingShoulders.png

It's almost like two different people playing through different parts of the game and in different settings, could come away two differen impressions....

So weird.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Sounds like this guy is a classic contrarian looking to create clickbait. Not saying that's true, just that everyone, of course, wants to latch onto this preview instead of any of the positive ones.

I disagree with Walker a lot but calling him a "clickbait" writer because he wrote a negative preview of ME:A is dumb. This is like people freaking out because Sterling gave Zelda a 7/10. Sometimes people don't like a game, even if most others consider it good and Walker has almost a professional obligation to write about this. Or should we follow the logic "Well, everybody else likes this thing so I better not say anything bad about it!"

I hate Serious Sam 3. I hate Dragon Age Inquisition. I hate Fallout 4. If I had to write a review for those games I would have given them scores between 4 and 6. A lot of people on GAF (and the internet) like those games. There isn't a conspiracy theory behind everything. Sometimes a game just doesn't click with somebody, but said somebody still has every right to talk about this, ESPECAILLY if he happens to be an editor at a website reviewing video games.

Weetrick

You realize Rock Paper Shotgun has more than one person on staff, right? Two different people wrote those articles. Maybe different people can have different opinions or something. Have you never enjoyed something that someone else disliked?

Sounds like this guy is a classic contrarian looking to create clickbait. Not saying that's true, just that everyone, of course, wants to latch onto this preview instead of any of the positive ones.

Again, you've never enjoyed something that someone else disliked? Or vice versa? Was it a conspiracy or did you just feel differently than another person because you have different backgrounds and tastes?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
You realize Rock Paper Shotgun has more than one person on staff, right? Two different people wrote those articles. Maybe different people can have different opinions or something. Have you never enjoyed something that someone else disliked?

I always find that excuse to be weak, the moment they are publishing an article/review they are pretty much representing the website/company they write for.

Im a little bit in warning state right now becuase characters are an important part of why i enjoy Mass effect, but I also have read a bunch of good impressions, so Im going to wait before i judge completely.

John Walker, huh? The most clickbaitish writer of RPS has a negative opinion about the game? Not saying his opinion has to be absolutely invalidated... But his history on the site is quite infamous.

This is actually a nice thing to know. For example as much as I love Jim, I dont trust his reviews becuase our tastes (more like my nitpicks and his nitpicks in games, not genres) are completely different. That Fallout 4 score still makes me laugh, but he was free to decide he loved the game becuase he could pound a mutant.

Tacitus_

I think I'll subscribe to Origin for a month to try this out, since those criticisms are about stuff that was dragging down the first three ME games for me.

Weetrick

I always find that excuse to be weak, the moment they are publishing an article/review they are pretty much representing the website/company they write for.

Bullshit. So if someone posts a negative preview on a website, the reviewer should score it negatively to maintain consistency? Good lord, you have got to be kidding me.

Fantastapotamus

So you think after one person wrote something on a website, nobody else is allowed to voice a different opinion about it?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Bullshit. So if someone posts a negative preview on a website, the reviewer should score it negatively to maintain consistency? Good lord, you have got to be kidding me.

So you think after one person wrote something on a website, nobody else is allowed to voice a different opinion about it?

If a writer is previewing a game, the same writer should be the one to review it, or better yet use the Famitsu system, several writers giving their different views on the game.

kitzkozan

GAF has a vocal minority which keep roasting every new Bioware games, so it's not surprising that I see a thread citing the most negative preview of Andromeda. :p I think it's obvious that it's going to be heavily flawed as Bioware aren't very talented (which has been my impressions for years), so they cannot compensate vast amount of flaws with tech or polish.

Given that HZD is rated at 89 on MC and it's more polished and feature vastly superior tech, if ME: A end up within the 84-87 range it will be a success. :p

Weetrick

We should fire every game critic and write a single algorithm to calculate definitive scores. Then us gamers will know how to feel without having to think or interpret. Video games aren't worth the effort or deserve nuance.

Fantastapotamus

If a writer is previewing a game, the same writer should be the one to review it

Why?
Also Walker didn't review it.

, or better yet use the Famitsu system, several writers giving their different views on the game.
And nobody of those 4 is allowed to preview it then? Or do all 4 have to write a preview? Why is it okay to have different views in that case but not here?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Lol
confirmation.png

Eh, maybe not but it's a bit silly this is it's own thread.
Lmao

If only I could try Origin Access, but nope, they only accept payment by using shitty PayPall and I don't want to create PayPall account just to use it one freaking time! Fix it, EA! I want to buy shit using my Yandex Money!

Astral

GAF better play the fuck out of this game tomorrow. I really wanna know about the writing and characters more than anything.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Nothing about this game has ever seemed exemplary. Dev probably had a high turnover and the end result is a game that feels under baked and lacking passion in any particular area. Auto pilot attempt to make "another one of those" and it shows.

Raven117

I'll be picking this up at some point, but it remains to be seen if Bioware has shaken up the formula enough to compete.

There is little question than in the RPG world of the last generation, Bioware and Bethesda ruled the roost.

Now, however, companies are doing different things that are surpassing those previous entries.

To name a few: Witcher 3, Zelda BotW, Horizon, Bloodborne, Nioh, Neir, Yakuza 0, hell, even Wildlands it seems...are bringing something new to the table. And this is all within 2 years!

I think Fallout 4 was a signficant milestone as it showed that the older formulas MUST evolve faster to keep up with newer developments.

Toxi

Banned
Within minutes of starting there’s a cutscene in which a soldier type is shooting an already entirely dead corpse, and someone else has to say, “Hey, hey, take it easy,” and he fires off a few more shots and declares himself satisfied. I can’t even imagine how anyone can feel okay with writing that into a script without experiencing enough shame to just get up, walk away, and keep walking until they fall off of or into something.
When your writers are taking pointers from Yoshio Sakamoto.

Literally every other impression is positive.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1346773

Yep... but, things change when you go from "previews" to actual "reviews" or from reviewer to reviewer, even on the same site. Most previews tend to be positive when talking about big AAA titles. That being said, this thread is based upon RPS's playing of the final review copy. And it is from a different reviewer than the on in the link you posted. For context, the preview from RPS in the NeoGaf thread you linked to said:

Rock, Paper, Shotgun: After five hours with it, Mass Effect Andromeda looks to live up to its predecessor:

I went into the Andromeda preview feeling trepidatious. I came out excited and anxious to play more. Most important is that it feels like Mass Effect, and it looks like it’s building on the best aspects of the previous games.

Bottom line is that we need to wait and see how the final reviews from all of these sites shake out on average and, even then, it is still up to your own personal tastes in regard to whether you enjoy the game it or not.

There are definitely nuggets of truth in what he's seeing, but altogether it's obnoxious hyperbole. I agree that the menus can be dense, that the slow / loading animation between planets gets tiresome, that the shooting is serviceable and nothing more. But if you don't like exposition-heavy dialogue where feelings are pretty transparent, then you don't like Mass Effect. And this has all the lore, story, exploration, and discovery that make Mass Effect feel special. Plus the RPG systems (skills, crafting, etc.) are the best they've ever been for the series.

Just my thoughts from 25 hours of play for review.

GAF has a vocal minority which keep roasting every new Bioware games, so it's not surprising that I see a thread citing the most negative preview of Andromeda. :p I think it's obvious that it's going to be heavily flawed as Bioware aren't very talented (which has been my impressions for years), so they cannot compensate vast amount of flaws with tech or polish.

Given that HZD is rated at 89 on MC and it's more polished and feature vastly superior tech, if ME: A end up within the 84-87 range it will be a success. :p

Bioware has gotten the benefit of the doubt a tad too often for my liking. Can't really expect people to be begging for their games when the quality is just not very consistent. Also, rather few outlets really dared to penalize the shortcomings of their latest games, which led to many people approaching these games (like ME3, DA:I) with high expectiations only to be let down. DA:I got more GotY rewards than Bayonetta 2 in the same year, just think about it. It's overdue that Bioware games get reviewed with the same scrutiny as other games.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Why?
Also Walker didn't review it.

And nobody of those 4 is allowed to preview it then? Or do all 4 have to write a preview? Why is it okay to have different views in that case but not here?

I'm saying that whenever releasing a preview/review article they should always have more than just one person doing it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
It's almost like two different people playing through different parts of the game and in different settings, could come away two differen impressions....

So weird.

I like the fact that RPS lets multiple people express their opinions on a game. Not sure why you don't approve of that?

You guys realize that I was just pointing out there are two sets of impressions, right? No idea where you're getting that I didn't realize two people wrote those articles and/or that I "disapprove" of it. It's a response to the thread title and OP.

While I wish there was a demo, I'm glad that I can try this out on EA Access for five bucks and see if it's worth the purchase.

Dinda

Obviouly this is only one opinion, so i don't give much about it. (Will play the game anyway, no matter how it reviews)

However especially the menu stuff sound bad. I always thought that the menus didn't look very good from what i saw, and what he is describing sound pretty terrible.
At least menus are something that can be patched over time....

I guess the wait will be over tomorrow to see how accurate his criticisms are. I'll be playing the Origin access version to see how it goes, I presume that thread will just become the GAF impressions discussion and there'll be a clearer picture then of how the game is shaping up with our own impressions versus games media.

JBwB

Why this got it's own thread when there's a perfectly good one already for early impressions is perplexing to me.

Anyway, given the author's reported history I shall be taking this with a grain of salt.

I shall be eagerly waiting for impressions from those who'll try out the game early via EA Access tomorrow.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

NM, you mean the guy who wrote the preview, lol. I don't really get feeling that from those impressions.

Rellik

Why this got it's own thread when there's a perfectly good one already for early impressions is perplexing to me.

Anyway, given the author's reported history I shall be taking this with a grain of salt.

I shall be eagerly waiting for impressions from those who'll try out the game early via EA Access tomorrow.

It's very obvious why this got its own thread. Just take a look in any Mass Effect thread on this forum to see why.

Renekton

I disagree with Walker a lot but calling him a "clickbait" writer because he wrote a negative preview of ME:A is dumb. This is like people freaking out because Sterling gave Zelda a 7/10. Sometimes people don't like a game, even if most others consider it good and Walker has almost a professional obligation to write about this. Or should we follow the logic "Well, everybody else likes this thing so I better not say anything bad about it!"
Tons of people defended Jim Sterling. How many here defended Walker when he gave opinions on Steam, Witcher 3, New Vegas, etc?

I don't have any issue with his stuff, I myself linked his piece about Steam here (and it was lambasted). Now I see people only now coming out of the woodwork to defend him as just another guy speaking his mind, which is interesting given that it is Bioware.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232104548&postcount=157

“You’re the Pathfinder! They’ll listen to you! My husband’s been arrested for a crime he didn’t commit!”

I am sorry to use such a dusty old cliche, but if this isn't "pre-order cancelled" material, I don't know what would be.

So, you had this BioWare RPG preordered, but when you learned that the protagonist will be an important figure who other characters look to to solve their problems, you decided to cancel that preorder? Was this going to be your first BioWare RPG?

Laekon

I don't get his view point. So aliens shooting at you in a video game is a bad thing? Should the game have been a math simulator?

Also how does someone go from complaining about characters heavy handed introductions to bitching that they don't explain the pathfinder position well enough in the gameplay? Besides the fact they go over what the main characters dad does just a few moments into the game, the word itself tells you everything you need to know.

Fantastapotamus

Tons of people defended Jim Sterling. How many here defended Walker when he gave opinions on Steam, Witcher 3, New Vegas, etc?

I don't have any issue with his stuff, I myself linked his piece about Steam here (and it was lambasted). Now I see people only now coming out of the woodwork to defend him as just another guy speaking his mind, which is interesting given that it is Bioware.

Not quite sure what you're getting at here

Strakt

Thats a pretty cool article bruh but I don't need someone to judge a game for me especially a site like RPS. I mean $5 for a 10 hour trial in about 6 hours... so that will decide if I purchase the game more than anything. Not to mention, if other peoples impressions are a deciding factor, there are a TON of positive ones out there that outweigh the negative.

btags

One dude's opinion.

This is also the same guy that called playing Witcher 3 like, quote, "eating cardboard".

That really puts this preview into perspective then, and I say this as someone who has not been super excited by anything they have shown so far for Andromeda. I love the witcher 3 (it is ok if people do not, so if someone who hated the witcher 3 is not liking this game I will look o other previews to get an idea of the game.

thumb

Banned

Not everyone reads every thread. I thought Walker had a good point about Steam. I haven't played enough Witcher or read Walker's thoughts on it yet to comment.

Top Bottom