• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early impressions from RPS for ME:A. It's... not good

Sorc3r3r

I've spent some time watching it on twitch, well, it's not rising my urgency to go and buy it that's for sure.

Still waiting for reviews....

Seems more a vocal loud minority...but yes, they do appear more and more prevalent with mass effect release date nearing

i need this mod to happen on pc
4fcdfb5e5eb19e6c47fe505867e46c268d8900caac6a28a3ef3b4d308c9a7299.jpg

So basically give every woman a slim model jaw line.

Lister

Banned
Heh. The article has actually stumbled on an issue with a lot of RPG writing. Where people don't actually have conversations - they basically just info dump exposition, or concepts, or factions, or character attributes that the writers have created prior to writing the dialogue.

Instead of having those things inform the characters, the characters end up endlessly informing us about them. It's bad writing. DA: I was particularly guilty of this and why it's so boring talking to a lot of the characters in that game.

I also think that's another one of the reasons Witcher 3 stood out, because in that game dialogue was actually used to help tell the game's many stories, and people had real conversations.

It's almost as if vidoe game designers were writing these characters, instead of, you know, writers.

The Wart

Seems more a vocal loud minority...but yes, they do appear more and more prevalent with mass effect release date nearing

Yes the major problem with this game is clearly female character models with squarish jawlines.

Profanity

Good lord, here is the genesis of the ME:A equivalent of Skyrim's clean faces. Embarrassing stuff.

A lot of people have said the game is basically Mass Effect: Inquisition, and I can't tell if that's a compliment or not. A ton of people on both sides of the fence on that game.

I enjoyed the gameplay in DA:I. The "do sidequests with no story to earn enough points to continue main quest" was what killed the enthusiasm for that game. Very hard to re-play through. Trudging through the hissing wastes just wasn't fun.

Lister

Banned
Good lord, here is the genesis of the ME:A equivalent of Skyrim's clean faces. Embarrassing stuff.

I guess I'm a horrible sexist human being for preferring the non dead-eyed fan created versions.

It helps that fan Ryder looks like a (prettier) ex of mine. :p

prag16

Banned

What's this supposed to prove... so some dude edited them to make them look like stereotypical "beautiful" models?

Okay. Just don't try to claim both that, "It's NOT just because they're not "classically pretty" enough, honest!" and then roll out this picture.

Lister

Banned
What's this supposed to prove... so some dude edited them to make them look like stereotypical "beautiful" models?

Okay. Just don't try to claim both that, "It's NOT just because they're not "classically pretty" enough, honest!" and then roll out this picture.

With Ryder specificlaly it's those dead eyes more than anything else, well that and the plastic skin.

Can someone superimpose the eyes on the official ryder model?

cyress8

Banned
This scene made 0 sense to me. The reason these dumbasses were sucked out the side of the ship was because they weren't strapped down for planetfall. Bioware created a scene that focus on being purely a set piece and not one that is grounded in reality along with being a set piece at the same time.

This scene made 0 sense to me. The reason these dumbasses were sucked out the side of the ship was because they weren't strapped down for planetfall. Bioware created a scene that focus on being purely a set piece and not one that is grounded in reality along with being a set piece at the same time.
Eh, I thought it was awesome. Not really different than the original trilogy when people would be standing in shuttles.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Interesting that one of the few really negative previews gets its own thread, but the positive ones dont.

I refuse to believe that only took 15 minutes... Regardless the official render looks like a parody/caricature. Now I'm even more sad.

People in Mass Effect never wear seat belt.

The whole preview sounds so skewed and negative. It doesn't feel like he painting the whole picture. Bioware gets a lot of hate from the gaming community, but I have always felt that it was overblown. I avoided getting Dragon Age inquisition because people here said it was horrifying bad with a mod HERE even saying it's the worst game he/she ever played. Literally said that. I decided to borrow the game from a friend, and it was no where near as bad as what some people made it out to be. The quest structure was tedious and not very rewarding, but I avoided the fetch quests in each location like the plague. I enjoyed the game a lot and found the characters to be awesome. The game was top notch and the setting was excellent. I don't think Mass Effect Andromeda will be any worse than this. I am fine with the idea of Mass Effect:Inquisition if they managed to fix the quests fetch quests. I think they got a lot of feedback, and I think it would be very strange if they didn't address this issue in their future games. I am not going to panic until all reviews are out.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Do you have a link to the preview/review of the same writer talking about the witcher 3?

As a lover of that game I would love to know if its just his tastes are completely different than mine.

Reading John Walker articles is like reading about a man who barely tolerates video games yet is forced to write about them.

Reminds me of these, just a little less offensive:

viviennewtf.jpg

Isabela.jpg

The pictures you linked aren't "fixed". They're just more conventionally attractive.

jacobeid

Banned
I was not very optimistic about this game at all considering they haven't answered the fundamental question: why do I care about these characters, this universe, or this game at all?

Reading about the poor writing just turns me off even more considering how much I dislike ME2 and 3 in comparison to 1. Peter Brown's comments on the bombcast didn't do the game any favors either.

Will wait for reviews then wait for a sale in 6 months. Maybe. None of the footage is selling me at all. Could see this becoming the first major disappointment of the year.

I don't understand the hate about DA : I. As long as you left the first region before finishing the tons of side quests there, it was pretty good in my opinion.

It seems to me people tried to do every filler side quest. If you don't do that, it's a good game.
90% of Inquisition is insipid, filler side quests that belong in an MMO.

Ralemont

not me
I was about to make a post asking why the fan edit didn't change PB from blue to white but Heckler got us covered.

Still the eyes do look much better on Ryder in the edit.

Mikey Jr.

This is definitely a "wait for metacritic" situation for me.

Something about this game has not grabbed me in the slightest.

joecanada

I must have missed how this guy is shocked that BioWare writing is subpar, in that I only played dragons age games, so I just assumed all their writing was bad.

Dragons Age is so campy it's like a B movie, enjoyable but I don't they were going for unintentionally funny.

It isn't what he wanted to see from the game, so he just reams it cause it doesn't line up with his view as to what a Sci-Fi setting should be. Read this last night and just disregarded it, as nearly everything else has been positive.

HeeHo

Saw an ad play for this game on youtube when I was trying to watch a video for school yesterday. I didn't skip it because I honestly don't know too much about the game, but it seemed pretty corny, couldn't quite put my finger on it. Gave me the impression that it is supposed to be campy or something.

We'll see though. Ever since that trailer where everyone complained about female Ryders weird facial animation, I haven't seen the game too positively.

thumb

Banned
What the hell....i don't even get what would be meant with that. So i assume their review was one of the few negative ones back then?

It was a random tweet with no elaboration. We don't know what he was talking about specifically, or what he would praise or criticise.

Top Bottom