• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed Skrein Joins HELLBOY Reboot playing a Japanese American for some reason

I love the precedent this sets

I mean, if Ed Skrein can be like "I'm not gonna be any part of this whitewash bullshit" then there isn't a producer/star on any rung of the ladder above him who has any excuse. Not that they had an excuse before (because they didn't)

Wow he actually stepped down? I don't blame him for taking the role, guys gotta eat. The problem is the producers/director should of hired a Japanese actor from the get go.

I didn't expect that bump.

Major props, Mr. Skrein, for choosing to walk away. Part of me wants to believe that this is just a cynical ploy for good will and that the team behind "Hellboy" got him to vacate the role in exchange for good press, but regardless, I hope that they now find a proper Ben Daimio.

Anung

Un Rama
I love the precedent this sets

I mean, if Ed Skrein can be like "I'm not gonna be any part of this whitewash bullshit" then there isn't a producer/star who has any excuse. Not that they had an excuse before (because they didn't)

This change is definitely going to have to come from actors putting their foots down so good on Ed for being one of the first. There is no way they can cast a white guy for this role now.

Harmen

Walking away from what is likely a very nice pay check as an actor with a so-so resume thus far, that move deserves a lot of respect. I hope he finds a good gig in replacement.

Top Bottom