• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed Skrein Joins HELLBOY Reboot playing a Japanese American for some reason

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Watch it be grim dark for no reason

I mean, it's way more grimdark than not.

Ye26amZ.png
VdBqgQj.jpg

Txr5jFa.jpg
5DJhUcl.jpg

3RQnPhK.jpg
adE6AIB.jpg

If they're gonna use Daimio's jaguar powers, then it has to be bloody as hell. Thankfully the movie is rated R.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I was super excited about the reboot given the new cast and the choice of director. But this is giving me some serious pause.

When China overtakes Hollywood and starts casting Asians to play white characters it's going to be great.

Hope they reach out to Korea and get Choi Min-sik to star in Trump's biopic, "MAGA"

M.Bluth

And the trend of terribly mediocre white male actors still getting work continues...

When China overtakes Hollywood and starts casting Asians to play white characters it's going to be great
They'll probably still keep casting white Hollywood actors like they're already doing with their productions.

duckroll

When China overtakes Hollywood and starts casting Asians to play white characters it's going to be great

That's not going to change much actually. China businesses investing increasingly into Hollywood still wants things the American way. This means white men leading American films, with roles for Chinese actors and actresses to play support and get exposure outside of Asia. But these actors and actresses already have successful careers in Asia, and it's really just benefiting those who already made it. Asian Americans who want to be a major part of the industry in their own home country generally get left out of this dynamic.

Arjayes

Banned
Do you HAVE to find an Asian actor? I think this is getting ridiculous. At first I was down with the movement but now it’s like... so? If the creators or people involved with the anime/comic don’t care then I don’t care. 🤷🏾*♂️

DiscoJer

This seems to be so strange. Hollywood should be trying to cast as many Asian actors as possible. It just makes financial sense. The more diverse the cast, the more people will be able to identify with the movie. And you have a wider audience.

I could understand at least adding a box office draw, but this guy seems to be not much of a draw, nor is he notably attractive or anything. I mean, I could understand why they kept shoving Taylor Kitsch upon the world. Even though no one was buying him in anything. But this guy?

Do you HAVE to find an Asian actor? I think this is getting ridiculous. At first I was down with the movement but now it’s like... so? If the creators or people involved with the anime/comic don’t care then I don’t care. 🤷🏾*♂️

Did you just ask if you HAVE to find an Asian actor to play an Asian character? LOL

M.Bluth

Do they have to...? Yeah, the character is Japanese. Moreover, their choice of actor, regardless of race, is pretty damn terrible.

Saya

Asian actors playing Asian characters... shit is getting ridiculous. Wot?

wandering

Banned

Bruh if they refuse to get an Asian American actor for an unambiguously Asian American but non-stereotypical character from an American property and instead cast a C-list white actor with no draw and mediocre acting skills... like this is a role that has no excuses

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Man, I read this on another website and literally the first comment.

Hahahahaha. Sure. Sure. They can't even argue "B-b-but star power!" cause we're talking about someone with negative star power here. Nobody saw Deadpool for him, plus he was the face of the Transporter reboot and that flopped. I guarantee 99% of the people that saw Deadpool don't even know this actor's name.

He's not some acting prodigy. He can deliver his lines well enough not to make you wince. That's it.

LakeEarth

Swear to god, I was just reading Hellboy a few days ago and asked myself "what white guy is going to play Daimio?" and low and behold...

firelogic

This shit is infuriating.
After the heat movies like GitS got, you're going to go ahead and do something like this anyway?
Talk about not giving a damn.

At least with GitS you could argue that ScarJo is a name that could have put butts in seats. Who the heck is Ed Skrein?

norm9

I've been trying to tell people since that Milla casting came out. This movie is on some straight to video tier casting. But not going with an Asian actor is pretty baffling here.

Milla is great. This dude, not so much. Once the studios announce something like this, do they ever take it back?

Milla is great. This dude, not so much. Once the studios announce something like this, do they ever take it back?

I don't think I've ever seen it happen. In that Game of Thrones article I posted and created a thread he said, "Millennium is less concerned about American outrage than whether the lower-budget, R-rated, horror-ish revamp can score big in China, so our protests will surely fall on deaf ears per usual."

Which definitely explains the Milla Jovovich casting.

norm9

I don't think I've ever seen it happen. In that Game of Thrones article I posted and created a thread he said, "Millennium is less concerned about American outrage than whether the lower-budget, R-rated, horror-ish revamp can score big in China, so our protests will surely fall on deaf ears per usual."

Which definitely explains the Milla Jovovich casting.

lol, that makes even worse sense (to me. I understand why the execs have that thinking). Let's hire a white guy instead of an asian guy so the chinese box office is hotter.

lol, that makes even worse sense (to me. I understand why the execs have that thinking). Let's hire a white guy instead of an asian guy so the chinese box office is hotter.

Well I don't think it explains the casting at all, but explains why they're not concerned with the outrage in America about it.

The Last Airbender originally cast Jesse McCartney as Zuko. Cue the Aangaintwhite campaign and suddenly paramount decides to cast Dev Patel as Zuko and make the entire Fire Nation brown, because yknow making all the good guys white and the bad guys brown doesn't have real bad implications at all

Goofalo

1. China doesn't give a fuck about Asian-American representation. They care about making $ and developing their soft power.

2. Its absolutely shitty to replace an Asian-American character with Daario 1.0

Oh well, I guess I'll just wait around for The Pat Morita Story, starring Miles Teller.

At least Remo Williams pretended and used makeup.

duckroll

Has whitewashing ever worked out for movies? Just... why keep doing this?

Whitewashing isn't usually a self-aware active thing that people do, but something that is done out of lack of giving a shit and with zero self-awareness. It would be easy to combat if it's an actual racist thing some people intentionally try to push, but it is harder to combat when it happening comes from people in charge just being willing to cast anyone to fill any role while looking through pools of talent comprised mostly of white people.

The Last Airbender originally cast Jesse McCartney as Zuko. Cue the Aangaintwhite campaign and suddenly paramount decides to cast Dev Patel as Zuko and make the entire Fire Nation brown, because yknow making all the good guys white and the bad guys brown doesn't have real bad implications at all

Oh yeah, that did happen. It's crazy how it seemed like they were going for all the major characters to be White .

Top Bottom