• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed Skrein Joins HELLBOY Reboot playing a Japanese American for some reason

The Last Airbender originally cast Jesse McCartney as Zuko. Cue the Aangaintwhite campaign and suddenly paramount decides to cast Dev Patel as Zuko and make the entire Fire Nation brown, because yknow making all the good guys white and the bad guys brown doesn't have real bad implications at all
I had to google this to confirm... and omg?

Who was the casting director for this movie? Jesse Mccartney for Zuko?

Please tell me they no longer have a job.

Q9sZFCu.png

Very disappointed in Mike Mignola.

I missed this thread somehow. Well, that whole thing is just weird.
From Game of Thrones to Hitman to Deadpool to Hellboy? What do Hollywood people see in this guy? He must have one hell of an agent because he's not particularly good nor popular so I don't get the reasoning behind this.

Must be the Jai Courtney / Avatar guy syndrome. But at least Jai Courtney is funny sometimes.

Q9sZFCu.png

Very disappointed in Mike Mignola.

I mean technically it really shouldn't matter who get's cast as these fictional characters, but it's just really weird how it's a one way street with Asians, particularly Asian males where they aren't thought of much in general to get cast, rarely race bend White characters for them, and then when there are Asian characters they have no problem getting a White actor to play it.

It's fuckin' weird to me.

I mean technically it really shouldn't matter who get's cast as these fictional characters, but it's just really weird how it's a one way street with Asians, particularly Asian males where they aren't thought of much in general to get cast, rarely race bend White characters for them, and then when there are Asian characters they have no problem getting a White actor to play it.

It's fuckin' weird to me.

This isn't even a case where you can defend the choice based on bankability or meritocracy.

Kinsei

Banned
Disgusting.

Also Ed Skrein? THAT Ed Skrein? They can't even hide behind the typical BS "The best actor got the job" defense.

Nether!

This legit sucks.

Love BPRD and would have loved to have seen Daimio on the screen as an older, tough-ass asian guy.

This white actor, Skrien, looks like the most generic baby face. If you're going to bother whitewashing the character, why not get someone who isn't a boring, nothing of an actor.

Wow. This was her 300 last stand moment.

Plus do people know how insulting those answers are? Well we would've cast you Asians as these Asian characters, but somehow these generic White actors are so much better to play you than you are. Sorry. Oh yeah and it's not about race, because we're color blind. LOL

Tarydax

Banned
This blows.

Daimio was one of my favorite characters, and not only is he being played by a white guy, he's being played by a white guy who can't fucking act.

Disappointing all around. This guy is not a good actor so that whole "they showed up and did the best job" shit the casting director was spewing rings especially hollow, and more insulting.

Top Bottom