• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed Skrein Joins HELLBOY Reboot playing a Japanese American for some reason

To be fair, they did cast a black woman to play Hellboy's love interest, who was white in the comics, so it's not like they're white washing all the characters. This guy is def an odd choice, though, since he always plays kinda the douche character, at least from what I've seen, and that's not really Daimio.

This is why I said "he can't even act!" They already started down this road, but him?!

I feel bad for him because he didn't cast himself.

Boneheaded move on the studios part, The BPRD is vast and diverse enough that they didn't have to go this route.

Maybe they had to. When you get the chance to sign the star of the Transporter reboot, you can't really turn that down.

diunxx

lol Hollywood doesn't give a fuck

Yeah but still would have to audition and accept the role.

I doubt he even knows the character is half asian, I mean the producers didn't even put it in the casting sheet by the look of it.

Qvoth

had to google who ed skrein is
seems too young for daimio's character, isn't daimio a vietnam war veteran? or korean war? or was it gulf war?

Eh, I see where you're coming from and I get that, but to me that's more of an issue on the casting director to begin with. A paycheck is a paycheck for an actor sometimes.

It's weird though, I could see him playing a different role easily, and they could've cast an Asian American actor for the part quite readily.

They could have cast my boy Daniel Wu, to at least get an Asian, if they couldn't find a Japanese American for some reason
4xn510y16iaf4fn6.jpg

Volimar

had to google who ed skrein is
seems too young for daimio's character, isn't daimio a vietnam war veteran? or korean war? or was it gulf war?

It'll be Afghanistan probably. Writers are lucky we keep having wars for when they update their characters.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It'll be Afghanistan probably. Writers are lucky we keep having wars for when they update their characters.
It has to be a jungle war if they bring in his power from the comics.

I guess they can re-write it since they'll probably not focus on him too much, though.

bengraven

You know it's funny growing up in a small town that had a large Asian population… Asians could be your best friend, Asians could date your sister, Asians would babysit your kids.

But in movies it was always kung fu and noodles.

Ronin Ray

You know it's funny growing up in a small town that had a large Asian population… Asians could be your best friend, Asians could date your sister, Asians would babysit your kids.

But in movies it was always kung fu and noodles.

Hey sometimes they get to play doctors or therapist who probably also know Kung Fu

Is this one of those actors Hollywood is forcing to be some mega star like Taylor Kitsch? He's probably the most qualified/best person for the job gaiz.

ReaperXL7

I mean, with this not having any affiliation with the foundation Del Toro built for the movies had already killed most of my drive to see this. Stuff like this only furthers my desire to ignore what I likely only might have streamed once in the first place.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Yeah but still would have to audition and accept the role.

The dude ain't pulling in 7-figure paycheques. Ajax from Deadpool is literally the only thing I could possibly identify him from. He isn't on anybody's speed-dial. Most actors don't have the luxury of being selective with their roles, and will take every single audition they can possibly get their way into. Chances are, the guy had zero clue who or what he was auditioning for. If anybody is to blame for white washing, it's the people who let him through the door, let alone offered him the role.

I'm fine with racebending characters in order to achieve a creator's vision, get a different take on the character, or for better representation, being more inclusive, and providing more opportunities, but I don't get race bending an underrepresented minority character to a White character in an overrepresented predominately White cast film.

The easiest way to fix it is to cast another major/supporting White character as an Asian American in this film.

Ronin Ray

I'm fine with racebending characters in order to achieve a creator's vision, get a different take on the character, or for better representation, being more inclusive, and providing more opportunities, but I don't get race bending an underrepresented minority character to a White character in an overrepresented predominately White cast film.

The easiest way to fix it is to cast another major/supporting White character as an Asian American in this film.

Whats strange is they also picked a generic ass dude who can't act and has no charisma.

Animator

No one can tell me that Ed Skrein was the best they could find. I've seen his movies.

This is him.

This is the character he is portraying.

What? Are you serious? You couldn't find a single Japanese-American? Not one?

Yo what the fuck?

Anybody who has read the BPRD comics is puking in their mouth right now. They couldn't have picked someone worse if they tried for that role.

fauxtrot

Banned
WHYYY...

Fuck. As a huge Mignolaverse fan, I was trying so hard to be positive about this movie (especially since I wanted to see a Hellboy movie much closer in tone to the comics), but this is some bullshit. Why even throw the BPRD characters in this film if you're going to white-wash and choose the biggest charisma voids in Hollywood? Fuck!

Might as well have cast a tub of mayonnaise.

duckroll

Maybe they auditioned all the Asians and no one could speak good English, then this white savior walked in. Ever thought of that?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I always forget he was the guy that got fired from being Daario

I mean he claimed he left on his own but I didn't buy it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I've been trying to tell people since that Milla casting came out. This movie is on some straight to video tier casting. But not going with an Asian actor is pretty baffling here.

Top Bottom