• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 172 scores

jax (old)

Banned
dabookerman said:
mgs4edge.jpg

Please dont punish me :(

MGS4... awesome.

I buy almost every issue of Edge and this current one (172) isn't out on newstand yet but if the focus is PC gaming... I probably will skip it. Thanks for the headsup... and what terrible scores for a bunch of games. Just terrible.

Full Auto 2
:lol

I remember the talking head from the 1upshow a while back hyping it up....

pswii60

Aaron said:
Add a 1 to EDGE scores and they seem to jive with the general concensus. They're just a little harder on games, that's all.

Seriously?

WOW OMG Halo got 11/10! :)

I'm surprised to see not Lost Planet, one of the games I was particularly interested to know what they'd score. Never mind, maybe next month (or did I miss it last month?)

pswii60 said:
Seriously?

I'm surprised to see not Lost Planet, one of the games I was particularly interested to know what they'd score. Never mind, maybe next month (or did I miss it last month?)

I think it was in last months.

*edit* yeah, got a 7

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
pswii60 said:
Seriously?

u did. Theyu gave it a 7 last month

aloof

Banned
I understand that EDGE's review scores are supposed to be tough, but who are they kidding? It's like they're trying to come off elitist and be different from everyone else. These are ****ing videogames. People will love most of these games.

Ubisoft is just as soulless as EA, the difference being that at least Ubisoft actually releases a decent game once in a while.

aloof said:
I understand that EDGE's review scores are supposed to be tough, but who are they kidding? It's like they're trying to come off elitist and be different from everyone else. These are ****ing videogames. People will love most of these games.

Why should an average game get 7 rather than 5? Edge's scores are not tough, they're just relative to the same scale they've always used. For them to give a game 6 is not the same as IGN doing it.

XSamu

Banned
Kabouter said:
SC:DA 360 is also extremely inferior to it's current-gen counterparts.
Well clearly not all of them. I never enjoyed the first Splinter Cell. It was repetitive and a little boring. SP: DA does offer more variety in gameplay as well as in environments.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
buckfutter said:
Ubisoft is just as soulless as EA, the difference being that at least Ubisoft actually releases a decent game once in a while.

EA has NO decent games? Hell I learn something new everyday here!

aloof

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Why should an average game get 7 rather than 5? Edge's scores are not tough, they're just relative to the same scale they've always used. For them to give a game 6 is not the same as IGN doing it.
How is MGS: Portable Ops a 7? And I don't care if a 7 from edge means 'absolutely unbelievably spectacular!!'... to the average reader, it means 70 percent, which is shitty. It is a good mag, though. I've been thinking about subscribing from the U.S.

fushi

aloof said:
How is MGS: Portable Ops a 7? And I don't care if a 7 from edge means 'absolutely unbelievably spectacular!!'... to the average reader, it means 70 percent, which is shitty. It is a good mag, though. I've been thinking about subscribing from the U.S.
EDGE is not for the average reader.

Pug

Aloof to Edges readers 7/10 means 7/10. Its only dull buggers who have never seen or read the magazine that take scores out of context.

Fongul

aloof said:
omg, a 1-year subscription is $75

$75 is a good price that set up with a subscriber service in the US. I had been paying around $130 for a yearly subscription directly through Future. There is definitely more editorial and overall content in the magazine than say EGM or Game Informer. Edge, Games TM and Retro Gamer is my game magazine trifecta. Any US magazine does not match in comparison.

birdchili

fushi said:
EDGE is not for the average reader.

yeah... pretty much. they're one of the more interesting sources of legitimately critical game info.

they're also pretty good at giving you an excellent idea of the appeal or problems with a game beyond the number they ultimately give it. i haven't played metal gear, but if there are interface issues that's a huge complaint that can easily move a great game into "just decent" for me.

J-Rzez

jarosh said:

Pretty much... you wouldn't think it'd be possibly to become an even more ****ty half-fast port-fest company, but, they succeeded... I'm still hoping for AC to turn out great though, that may redeem them...

suffah

Does maths and stuff
I must be the only one that agrees with Metal Gear getting a 7 (an Edge 7, that is).

Surprised by Elebits, might have to check that out.

TheGreatDave said:
MGS closers:
"It's a superb fit for it's format, and despite it's frustrations is never less than absorbing, but a thorough rethink of the interface and the implications of it's innovative design might have made it effortlessly so, and turned it in to the standard-bearer PSP needs"

SMASHING! HEAD! INTO! DESK!

JavyOO7

buckfutter said:
Burnout doesn't count.

Most of their EA sports line are great games. Their movies to games stuff is flat out bullshit but their sports games are far from shit, they are terrific... and I hate Madden and would prefer the old NFL2K series over it.

XSamu said:
Yeah ok, the whole Nintendo support sucks... that may be true

But Splinter Cell on 360 was not a bad game. The visuals may not be "WOW O-o"
But it was not bad either.

No mission based co-op = screw those guys.

pubba

I have been playing the Jap version of Earth Defence Force 3 all day, and it definitely deserves higher than a 6..

The graphics are incredible. I have to admit that the previous EDF games didnt grab me, but this latest one is great fun and looks fantastic.

Some of the battles are epic. Just finished one mission where you take out a group of skyscraper sized mechs that are approaching the city from the ocean. The explosion when you take one down fills the screen and its so damn satisfying! This plus the beautiful sunset in the background, with no slowdown really wowed me.

Not to mention the huge scale of the enemy ships and the detailed city environments.. This game is very very cool :)

Will buy it again when it has an english translation. Its playable now, but the weapon select screen is a bit of a chore when it just lists each weapon by name, with no graphic..

The other menus are easy to work out though. I find the Japanese voices add to the insanity and give the whole game a cheesey, Japanese disaster movie feel.

Mar

Elebits a 7 from EDGE? Wow.. My anticipation just went up for this game. I didn't have any anticipation to begin with, but at least it's now on the radar.

Top Bottom