• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE 212 scores

Stink

I think you can probably only safely compare Edge scores to Eurogamer and GamesTM without tying yourself in knots.

p2535748

Yes, I have too much time on my hands, and yes, I think this is rather pointless. But just for the hell of it, I went and looked at the metacritic stuff myself. Instead of randomly choosing titles, I went and chose the top 10 rated exclusives from each platform. The net result was:

PS3 = edge lower than metacritic by 8.4/100
360 = edge lower than metacritic by 5.6/100

I don't particularly think it means anything, but if you want to add 2.5/100 to each PS3 score, I guess you can go ahead.

Also, I quickly went through the list of games (I may having nothing to do, but I'm not going to spend that long on this), so I may have skipped over an exclusive along the way.

flipping_heck said:
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth - 6
middle_finger.jpg

For everyone bitching about the Heavy Rain score:

Go play the game. If you still think it deserves more than a 7, go watch a good movie, then play the game again. If you STILL think it deserves more than a 7, there is something wrong with you.

gorgeous graphics, yes, gripping story, yes, but wooden as fuck (voice) acting and animations, some ridiculous lines, amateurish writing all but destroy any appeal this game has.

a 7 is totally justified. I think everyone should at least give Heavy Rain a shot, but there's some obvious shortcomings here that can not be overlooked.

Disclaimer: I played the game for about 8 hours today.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
maybe instead of doing ridiculous statistical comparisons people can actually post which specific scores they disagree with and link to the reviews and post which specific statements in the reviews they disagree with.

mescalineeyes said:
Disclaimer: I played the game for about 8 hours today.

8 hours that you should have spent watching movies, apparently

AkuMifune

Banned
BrokenSymmetry said:
EDGE hated the character modelling, the dialogue, and the cliche story in Dragon Age, all of which are much better in Mass Effect 2.

Not really. ME2 is the cliffnotes version of DA:O's book.

no one complained about random French magazines giving the game a 9...but suddenly Edge gives it a 7 and gets questioned?

really? you people are nuts.

p2535748

Stumpokapow said:
maybe instead of doing ridiculous statistical comparisons people can actually post which specific scores they disagree with and link to the reviews and post which specific statements in the reviews they disagree with.

Just in my defense, I'm totally willing to admit this is all silly and a waste of time. I was just bored.

I subscribe to Edge and enjoy it, but frankly at this point I don't pay attention to any outlet's specific scores.

Stumpokapow said:
8 hours that you should have spent watching movies, apparently

are we getting all defensive now?
Heavy Rain has some obvious positive qualities, hell, I really had a good time playing it, but for a game this hyped, there's some glaring issues with some of its core qualities.
for what it's worth, there's games out there that eclipse the voice acting of Heavy Rain by a large margin (Mass Effect 2 comes to mind)

(btw 4 of those hours I played at Sony's Heavy Rain event in Vienna today while waiting for my interview with Guillaume de Fondaumière, so it would've been rude to watch a movie, don't you think? ;))

DeadGzuz

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

Because that is highly subjective, numbers are objective. I don't think anyone should waste time arguing over one score or review, but from a birds eye level it's hard to argue Edge doesn't have a grudge.

It might be ok to be an outlier for review scores, ie. review on a real 1-10 scale, but it should be done fairly across all platforms, not just one.

DeadGzuz said:
Because that is highly subjective, numbers are objective. I don't think anyone should waste time arguing over one score or review, but from a birds eye level it's hard to argue Edge doesn't have a grudge.

It might be ok to be an outlier for review scores, ie. review on a real 1-10 scale, but it should be done fairly across all platforms, not just one.

In a perfect world, reviewers would be oblivious to which console a game is on. I know, this is not exactly possible, I'm just saying.

I also think EDGE has a small anti-PS3 bias, but sometimes they do hand out the goods for PS3 exclusives as well (LBP comes to mind).

DeadGzuz

Banned
mescalineeyes said:
I also think EDGE has a small anti-PS3 bias, but sometimes they do hand out the goods for PS3 exclusives as well (LBP comes to mind).

That's the equivalent of saying "I'm not racist, I have a black friend". One good score (which is not an outlier, LBP has plenty of 10/10s) does not give them a free pass for many negative outliers.

stupei

DeadGzuz said:

The numbers are derived from the assessment made in the review. In what way does that make them any more objective than the content of the review? They're both opinion.

I just don't understand this "it's hard to argue Edge doesn't have a grudge" business. The default position should be to assume that a magazine does not hold an inexplicable bias.

You have to then take the leap from there to the assumption that their opinions are skewed by prejudice, bias, whatever it is you're inferring and I just don't see how numbers devoid of content or context is "proof" of anything.

Basch

Stink said:
Probably worth also pointing out that when comparing logarithmic scores (I.e. Typical of the average output from most other review sources) vs. Edge's linear scale, poor outliers such as Heavenly Sword will contribute disproportionately to the deviation. It's just not scientific to use statistics like this without normalising the individual comparisons.

And MotorStorm. And FolkLore. And WipEout. And Ratchet. And Ratchet... again. And Sigma. Oh and Sigma 2 too. But wait, there's more, lest we forget their historic 7/10 for Valkyria Chronicles. lol Seriously, he picked ones without much of a difference. Honestly, there's much worse out there. Don't get me wrong. It's not just EDGE. It's a bunch of other gaming publications too.

As you can see if we were to normalize the statistics, their deviation would be much higher. Matter of fact, the outliers would be the one's with scores like a 9 or 10, which are just too close to the average. EDGE is usually off the mark (note the examples I gave). DeadGzus was being lenient. Sorry if I do not offer the same mercy. :)

Besides, most publications review on a scale similar to EDGE's. They just have different tastes. For example, EGM and 1UP follow a very similar scale: almost exact.

rpmurphy

DeadGzuz said:
That's the equivalent of saying "I'm not racist, I have a black friend". One good score (which is not an outlier, LBP has plenty of 10/10s) does not give them a free pass for many negative outliers.
Oh really? I would really like to see some actual data and statistical analysis to support the claim that Edge scores tend to have more outliers for 360 games than PS3 games.

Majora

DeadGzuz said:

So I guess you're just ignoring the stack of 8 and 9s they've given to PS3 exclusives then? Being at the lower end of the metacritic scale for a few PS3 games does not make them biased. Furthermore if anyone here actually read the magazine, you'd find the idea that Edge is biased against the PS3 completely laughable. It's editorial tone for a couple of years after the PS3 launched was very much that the PS3 was the future and the 360 was dated in comparison.

rpmurphy

I spent some of my free time compiling industry vs EDGE review scores of Xbox 360 and PS3 exclusive games. I used this link to get the list of exclusive games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_exclusive_to_a_seventh_generation_console

Results here: http://tinyurl.com/yk6h292

Deviations:
Xbox 360:
mean= -6.520833333
stdev= 9.504546465
count= 96
PS3:
mean= -11.16981132
stdev= 9.187650258
count= 53

two sample t-test:
Ha: µ360-µPS3=/=0
t=2.92065210842
df=110
P-value=0.004238752

There are a bunch of EDGE scores I couldn't find on metacritic, primarily on Xbox 360's side. I hope this will help serve as future reference for answering some questions about EDGE review bias per console.

EDIT: updated data and numbers

Curufinwe

Basch said:
I've been over Edge for nearly two years now; hardly look at their reviews these days. Such a poor publication. *shakes head* They're consistency only makes it worse. They're stuck in a rut, and they don't know how to get out. Making concessions is not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes a writer needs to sacrifice their own personal bias when trying to evaluate objectively. Two years later, Edge is the same old same old. meh -_-

/rant

Yeah, it really seems like you're over them. :lol

Basch said:
And MotorStorm. And FolkLore. And WipEout. And Ratchet. And Ratchet... again. And Sigma. Oh and Sigma 2 too. But wait, there's more, lest we forget their historic 7/10 for Valkyria Chronicles. lol

Motorstorm averages 82 on Metacritic, Edge gave it 8/10.
Wipeout HD averages 87 on Metacritic, Edge gave it 8/10.
Ninja Gaiden Sigma averages 88 on Metacritic, Edge gave it 8/10.

These games don't belong in your ZOMG Edge is teh biased list.

Basch said:
Besides, most publications review on a scale similar to EDGE's. They just have different tastes. For example, EGM and 1UP follow a very similar scale: almost exact.

Bullshit. Since you mentioned 1UP, "publications" must include all gaming websites and most of them certainly do not use the same 5-is-average scale that Edge does.

rpmurphy

Big B said:
Can you explain what the values of 2 sample t-test mean?
They are just explanatory numbers that I calculated for determining whether Edge scores deviations from the industry average are different for PS3 or 360 exclusives. Basically, the numbers here are implying (this requires some statistics knowledge) that for a very large percentage of the time, the deviation of an Edge score from the industry average will fall approximately within the same range, regardless of the platform for the exclusive title. In my view, it suggests that the perception that Edge is harsher in reviews for PS3 exclusive games compared to 360 ones is greatly exaggerated and not supported by the actual numbers.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
rpmurphy said:
I spent some of my free time compiling industry vs EDGE review scores of Xbox 360 and PS3 exclusive games. I used this link to get the list of exclusive games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ration_console

Deviations:
Xbox 360:
mean: -5.279069767
stdev: 8.553266102
count: 43
PS3:
mean: -9.583333333
stdev: 9.458911908
count: 24

two sample t-test:
t=1.84725261685
df=43

rpmurphy said:
They are just explanatory numbers that I calculated for determining whether Edge scores deviations from the industry average are different for PS3 or 360 exclusives. Basically, the numbers here are implying (this requires some statistics knowledge) that for a very large percentage of the time, the deviation of an Edge score from the industry average will fall approximately within the same range, regardless of the platform for the exclusive title. In my view, it suggests that the perception that Edge is harsher in reviews for PS3 exclusive games compared to 360 ones is greatly exaggerated and not supported by the actual numbers.

I think you made a mistake. You are testing the hypothesis that the two distributions are equal to each other against the alternative hypothesis that the two are not equal to each other. t=1.84725261685 suggest that there is a greater than 96% probability that Edge is biased against one console, at the degree of freedom = 43 level. Of course, I did not do the calculation myself, so I may have simply misinterpreted your variables.

Curufinwe

It's been 10 years since my last Stats course, so forgive me if I'm screwing this up, but using this T-Distribution calculator with your figures gives a cumulative probability of 0.9642. Does that mean there's a 96.42% probability that the means of the two samples are the same?

http://stattrek.com/Tables/T.aspx

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Curufinwe said:
It's been 10 years since my last Stats course, so forgive me if I'm screwing this up, but using this T-Distribution calculator with your figures gives a cumulative probability of 0.9642. Does that mean there's a 96.42% probability that the means of the two samples are the same?

http://stattrek.com/Tables/T.aspx

Quite the opposite, me thinks. I think it is a greater than 96% chance that they are not the same. Correct me if I am mistaken, since the Alternative hypothesis is that they are not the same if i read his post correctly. The 96% means that the figure is a 96 percentile data (essentially an outlier) if you assume the null hypothesis (which assumes that they are the same)

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Leatherface said:
wtf is going on here? This page just blows my mind. :lol

rpmurphy decided to use statistical analysis to decide whether Edge is indeed biased (on average anyway) against one particular console.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
LeoStenbuck said:

anyway, pretty conclusive results here. There is a greater than 96% probability (or rather, confidence level) that Edge is biased, based on his data, which contains >40 data points. That's pretty good actually.

rpmurphy

bobbytkc said:
I think you made a mistake. You are testing the hypothesis that the two distributions are equal to each other against the alternative hypothesis that the two are not equal to each other. t=1.84725261685 suggest that there is a greater than 96% probability that Edge is biased against one console, at the degree of freedom = 43 level. Of course, I did not do the calculation myself, so I may have simply misinterpreted your variables.
P-value would be .071 because the test is two-tailed. I would argue Edge score deviation differences for PS3 and 360 exclusives would not be statistically significant. But anyway this is just one analysis, and I don't really want to go any deeper into something that isn't all that important. :p

However though, I think your understanding of what a P value means is not correct.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-value

evalue

Banned
Deku said:
For those who have flamed and or are getting ready to flame

EDGE uses a 2-9 scale

really bad games gets a 1
really brilliant ones gets a 10

Here's how the same scores would look in your pulp game rags and websites.

Heavy Rain - 9

Bioshock 2 - 10 (GOM - Silver)

Mass Effect 2 - 10 (Game of the Forver - Gold)

Dante's inferno - 8

Stalker: Call of Pripyat - 9

Darwinia+ - 10

Death By Cube - 8

Undead Knights - 6

Super Monkey Ball: Step and roll - 7

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth - 8

/bow Edge /bow

come again?

evalue

Banned
rpmurphy said:
I spent some of my free time compiling industry vs EDGE review scores of Xbox 360 and PS3 exclusive games. I used this link to get the list of exclusive games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_exclusive_to_a_seventh_generation_console

Deviations:
Xbox 360:
mean: -5.279069767
stdev: 8.553266102
count: 43
PS3:
mean: -9.583333333
stdev: 9.458911908
count: 24

two sample t-test:
t=1.84725261685
df=43

There are a bunch of EDGE scores I couldn't find on metacritic, primarily on Xbox 360's side. I hope this will help serve as future reference for answering some questions about EDGE review bias per console.

Can someone bottom line this for me please

Cartman86

Banned
I don't know if I believe in this "People getting mad over reviews scores thing". I think a great majority of people on GAF are not mad simply at the score, but at what inevitably is the reason for the score. And that of course is the text review. What the person actually thought. It's almost even more annoying to read a review where everything they point out doesn't matter to you or does not exist.

BUT that doesn't mean people should get angry. It's still a fucking game. Have heated arguments about the quality of the games, but don't bother trying to find some objective basis for everything. You are just going to get even more angry.

Basch

Curufinwe said:
Yeah, it really seems like you're over them.

Motorstorm averages 82 on Metacritic, Edge gave it 8/10.
Wipeout HD averages 87 on Metacritic, Edge gave it 8/10.
Ninja Gaiden Sigma averages 88 on Metacritic, Edge gave it 8/10.

These games don't belong in your ZOMG Edge is teh biased list.

Bullshit. Since you mentioned 1UP, "publications" must include all gaming websites and most of them certainly do not use the same 5-is-average scale that Edge does.

MotorStorm: Pacific Rift? Yeah, didn't think so. There's a .7 difference between the average and EDGE's score for WipEout. That's pretty significant when considering the deviation for their 360 average. Ninja Gaiden Sigma has an even greater gap. All this adds up and makes those 9 out of 10 scores they gave to Uncharted 2 and the like rather insignificant. That's all I was trying to point out. But I liked how you picked all the 8/10's and ignored the 7/10's I provided. I could even find you a couple below that even.

Again, I hardly care. If EDGE wants to continue this way, fine. Whatever. Be my guest and keep reading it. All I did was voice my opinion. At least I backed mine up. What about you? "ZOMG Edge is teh biased?" A bit extreme, don't you think? Especially considering I have nothing to gain here. I own a PS3, 360, and a Wii. I actually agree with most of their reviews. Yes even that 8/10 for MotorStorm, matter of fact, I'd probably go lower. All I was trying to get across was that they are just not nearly as harsh on 360 games as they should be. A bit too fanboy-ish (in my opinion).

And by the way, none of that was bullshit. I listed the first two major publications I could think of that had or is using a similar system. IGN has even started taking a similar approach. A lot of sites are. A lot of smaller sites are sporting the 5 = average scale or no score at all (the method I largely prefer).

Narag

Cartman86 said:
I don't know if I believe in this "People getting mad over reviews scores thing". I think a great majority of people on GAF are not mad simply at the score, but at what inevitably is the reason for the score. And that of course is the text review. What the person actually thought. It's almost even more annoying to read a review where everything they point out doesn't matter to you or does not exist.

BUT that doesn't mean people should get angry. It's still a fucking game. Have heated arguments about the quality of the games, but don't bother trying to find some objective basis for everything. You are just going to get even more angry.

They usually don't give two shits about the text but entirely on how whatever number is assigned as a rating relates to review scores of other similar games.

bobbytkc said:

He also made a mistake thinking that Metacritic scores mean jack shit, as a game everyone agrees is average (most scores around 7/10) might end up with a similar metascore as a game that divides opinions (a bunch of 5/10 scores and a bunch of 9/10 scores, for instance), i.e. deviation for some games is huge and almost nonexistent for others. Not to even get into other issues with it (scores from some outlets listed for certain games, but not for others, for instance).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mass Effect score is appropriate, Heavy Rain score would be concerning but they actually use the 1-10 so it seems like reasonable score.

a1m

Banned
2San said:
Other PS3 exclusives aside. GoW was always an average series in my book. :O I'd call bullocks if it got a 9 or higher.
Just like ME. I'd give it a 8 or 7 but not 9.

Top Bottom