• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE 212 scores

Stink

Some of the examples brought up here as bias are interesting... it's as if some of you don't read the magazine at all.

Edge is targeted at multi-console owners. They are biased, but towards the Zeitgeist (sorry, but I can't think of a better / less poncy way of putting it).

The NG Sigmas were reviewed under the assumption that you bought and played the original games on Xbox/X360 (and as a multi-owner, why wouldn't you). Resistance 1&2 under the assumption that you have played the many other FPS series that these titles aped. MotorStorm: Pacific Rift under the assumption that you've played through the original. Originality is rewarded.

They're not schoolteachers marking 30 homework assignments. You can't start using the same statistical maths to evaluate them against the "buyers guide" scores from IGN/Gamespot etc. You can't take the score from Patapon 2 (5/10) and complain about it, because it is given in the context of the original game's review (8/10).

Stink

rpmurphy said:
I spent some of my free time compiling industry vs EDGE review scores of Xbox 360 and PS3 exclusive games. I used this link to get the list of exclusive games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_exclusive_to_a_seventh_generation_console
I'm pretty sure that list is quite flawed. At first glance I noticed that Heavenly Sword and Lair are missing, so who knows what else.

There are a bunch of EDGE scores I couldn't find on metacritic, primarily on Xbox 360's side. I hope this will help serve as future reference for answering some questions about EDGE review bias per console.

If you want to flesh it out further, this link is accurate: http://www.lowbrowculture.com/edge/

Edge don't review everything - certainly there will be a lot of sports games missing, if that's what you mean.

Miburou

I look at this thread and think all the arguing about a magazine's numerical review scores are silly and pointless, but then I remember that some publishers tie the bonuses given to devs to a game's metacritic score. :(

legend166

Honestly, if I was a 'professional' reviewer, I'd start deliberately giving out bad scores just to screw up the Metacritic average to prove a point that it's worthless and publishers need to stop using it as a metric.

Firestorm

Basch said:
MotorStorm: Pacific Rift? Yeah, didn't think so. There's a .7 difference between the average and EDGE's score for WipEout. That's pretty significant
when you consider that Edge doesn't use decimal points?

Lafiel said:
Edge better be full of shit about that miles edgeworth score!
The reviewer thinks it's above average.

Shaka

Some of you guys need to ease up on the Edge dick riding, they're not infallible. Bias is the very nature of the beast that is gaming journalism, can't do nothing to change that.

Zenogias

Neo Member
P-value would be .071 because the test is two-tailed. I would argue Edge score deviation differences for PS3 and 360 exclusives would not be statistically significant. But anyway this is just one analysis, and I don't really want to go any deeper into something that isn't all that important. :p

However though, I think your understanding of what a P value means is not correct.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-value

Your interpretation of the p-value is completely backwards my friend....check your own link for example....

panda21

Stink said:
Some of the examples brought up here as bias are interesting... it's as if some of you don't read the magazine at all.

Edge is targeted at multi-console owners. They are biased, but towards the Zeitgeist (sorry, but I can't think of a better / less poncy way of putting it).

The NG Sigmas were reviewed under the assumption that you bought and played the original games on Xbox/X360 (and as a multi-owner, why wouldn't you). Resistance 1&2 under the assumption that you have played the many other FPS series that these titles aped. MotorStorm: Pacific Rift under the assumption that you've played through the original. Originality is rewarded.

They're not schoolteachers marking 30 homework assignments. You can't start using the same statistical maths to evaluate them against the "buyers guide" scores from IGN/Gamespot etc. You can't take the score from Patapon 2 (5/10) and complain about it, because it is given in the context of the original game's review (8/10).

i think you are giving them way too much credit. its not like they have a committee that meets to discuss how each game should be judged.

i think a lot of their reviews are written by freelancers just told to do an 'edge review'.

their scores are just isolated opinion pieces by 'journalists' and might as well be random at the end of the day, trying to give them some higher meaning that you can pull out of the randomness is reaching.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
rpmurphy said:
P-value would be .071 because the test is two-tailed. I would argue Edge score deviation differences for PS3 and 360 exclusives would not be statistically significant. But anyway this is just one analysis, and I don't really want to go any deeper into something that isn't all that important. :p

However though, I think your understanding of what a P value means is not correct.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-value

the t-value can already have accounted for the two tailedness of the problem depending on how you have done the problem (again, I mentioned I did not do the calculation myself, so there were some assumptions made). The p-value is simply the inverse interpretation of the t statistic. The t-statistic says that there is a greater than 96% probability of Edge being not objective (null hypothesis rejected), the p-value is simply the converse, that there is a less than 4% of the null hypothesis not being rejected. Even if you multiply the probability twice to account for the two tailedness of the problem, there is still a greater than 93% chance that Edge is biased.

It in fact says so in the wikipedia link you provided, as a previous poster mentioned. It is probably worth it for you to read the article again.

Edit: It is probably worth mentioning that I have no interest in edge whatsoever (other than occasionally looking at the scores while browsing neogaf), I was simply correcting what I perceived as a mistake in the statistical analysis by rpmurphy. If I was wrong on that account as well, then I apologise.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
EDGE is a marketing concept.

The whole premise of the magazine is that they are somehow a cut-above your regular gaming publication, which may be true from a presentation and page-layout standpoint, but is otherwise a complete sham.

Contrary to the impression they give, they aren't revered or in any way considered "definitive" within the (UK) dev-scene, in fact if anything they are among the least liked and respected.

Yes, you will see Edge lying around with Develop and MCV in most studios, but that's only because (1) its a nice looking rag which adds a patina of respectability to a scene that's always struggled with its public image, and (2) because for many years it had the best jobs section of any mainstream publication.

The last thing anyone in the biz (at least in my experience) looks for in EDGE is "truth" in its dodgy fashion-driven reviews. Yes getting a high score in EDGE is considered noteworthy, but its only because its a novelty that these puffed-up poseurs condescended to think that your game is "worthy"!

Bottom-line guys: EDGE scores are only as important as you think they are. So there's no need to get riled up about them. Considering visibility and actual influence getting lauded / murdered on Eurogamer is likely to be far more impactful than anything EDGE says - their ABC's have never been spectacular - their new high at ~33k says it all.

panda21

Clear said:
Contrary to the impression they give, they aren't revered or in any way considered "definitive" within the (UK) dev-scene, in fact if anything they are among the least liked and respected.

Yes, you will see Edge lying around with Develop and MCV in most studios, but that's only because (1) its a nice looking rag which adds a patina of respectability to a scene that's always struggled with its public image, and (2) because for many years it had the best jobs section of any mainstream publication.

The last thing anyone in the biz (at least in my experience) looks for in EDGE is "truth" in its dodgy fashion-driven reviews. Yes getting a high score in EDGE is considered noteworthy, but its only because its a novelty that these puffed-up poseurs condescended to think that your game is "worthy"!

wow, i didnt realise it was quite that bad. do you work for a developer? thats quite interesting if true given how some people hold up EDGE as some kind of paragon of gaming reviews

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Panda21 said:
wow, i didnt realise it was quite that bad. do you work for a developer? thats quite interesting if true given how some people hold up EDGE as some kind of paragon of gaming reviews

Yeah I'm a dev, been working in the UK scene since '88. Not that I'm anyone special or famous - seriously- no false modesty here, I'm just a working Joe who's been around the industry for a long time and has seen his share of stuff.

I really should say that I'm sure there are people in the industry who think EDGE does represent something special, after all I can't speak for everybody. But honestly speaking in my experience, both personally and from what I've read over the years on insider forums like Chaos Engine or Filthy Truth, EDGE is treated by and large with deep cynicism.

To be absolutely fair, it could be a British thing - we generally don't welcome people who posture and act all holier-than-thou like EDGE does (like expecting the magazine title to always be capitalized... grrr), but either way I'm just calling it as I see it.

zoukka

Clear. You are pathetic. EDGE is the only magazine that I know, that has some respect among any devs I know. You speak like you know all of UK's scene...

And clearly you have been working on some game EFGE has bashed. Or not even featured.

Shaka

zoukka said:
Clear. You are fucking pathetic. EDGE is the only magazine that I know, that has some respect among any devs I know.

And clearly you have been working on some shit game EFGE has bashed. Or not even featured.
lol dude it's just a magazine. :lol

zoukka

Shaka said:
lol dude it's just a magazine. :lol

It was more about him talking like he's the spokeperson of the UK games industry.

And to be fair, it's the only magazine that is actively doing something good to our indusrty, that I know of.

Sipowicz

Banned
Clear said:
Yeah I'm a dev, been working in the UK scene since '88. Not that I'm anyone special or famous - seriously- no false modesty here, I'm just a working Joe who's been around the industry for a long time and has seen his share of stuff.

I really should say that I'm sure there are people in the industry who think EDGE does represent something special, after all I can't speak for everybody. But honestly speaking in my experience, both personally and from what I've read over the years on insider forums like Chaos Engine or Filthy Truth, EDGE is treated by and large with deep cynicism.

To be absolutely fair, it could be a British thing - we generally don't welcome people who posture and act all holier-than-thou like EDGE does (like expecting the magazine title to always be capitalized... grrr), but either way I'm just calling it as I see it.

what the fuck are you talking about? the reason that shows like The X Factor and Strictly Come Dancing are so popular is because there's always an uppity twat like simon cowell on them. Edge is also well written and has had some great editorials from the likes of paul rose, things that a lot of people tend to enjoy. If you dont that's fine, stick to gamesmaster magazine or the official playstation mag for da real insight!

you just sound like every buttthurt sonydefenceforce.com reject who's screaming bias in the thread. all you need to do now is to perform some kind statistical analysis to infer that people with different opinions to you are "biased". it's fucking pathetic

zoukka said:
It was more about him talking like he's the spokeperson of the UK games industry.

And to be fair, it's the only magazine that is actively doing something good to our indusrty, that I know of.

it's chock full of ads for industry jobs, which seems a bit odds with what our industry spokeman there is saying

it's a bit expensive but a lot of people including myself enjoy reading it

Empty

This thread is amazing. Trying to mathematically prove a bias, ignoring that EDGE has a great number of writers and the range of reasons for a review score that makes such tasks pointless, is pretty hilarious.

Stink

panda21 said:
i think you are giving them way too much credit. its not like they have a committee that meets to discuss how each game should be judged.

irrelevant, they have a policy and editorial staff

i think a lot of their reviews are written by freelancers just told to do an 'edge review'.

some are, some aren't.

their scores are just isolated opinion pieces by 'journalists' and might as well be random at the end of the day, trying to give them some higher meaning that you can pull out of the randomness is reaching.

who is reaching here?

Mafro

Wow :lol

First Edge's bias towards UK-made games, and now spreadsheets trying to show their bias against Sony.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
well, at least clear added some new flavour the the monthly edge thread. i've only been skimming, but outside of that it reads like the a carbon copy of the other twelve threads we get a year.

panda21

Stink said:
irrelevant, they have a policy and editorial staff

well i guess they don't do their jobs very well then.

people like to discard any criticism of edge by shouting sony defence force and mocking about statistics and shit like that. that isn't what i'm trying to say though.

their reviews often read like the rantings of any internet poster about a game they like or dislike. since they are written by a variety of reviewers, to try and imply any kind of bias in that is silly.

there have been a lot of reviews where they have made significant factual errors, and not just minor mistakes but things they have based their criticism of the game on. so much for editorial staff.. they also make a lot of basic spelling mistakes these days.

the failings of their editing also makes them no more relevant than the thoughts of any internet person you might choose. i'm not saying that other sites/magazines are any better, but the attitude of superiority some people have about edge is wrong.

zoukka

panda21 said:
the failings of their editing makes this also makes them no more relevant than the thoughts of any internet person you might choose. i'm not saying that other sites/magazines are any better, but the attitude of superiority some people have about edge is wrong.

No just no. You can be proved as a troll by just posting some Edge reviews and be done with it. The level or writing is on another galaxy than your typical videogame reviews. Again that's not some incredible achievement, but it's the best stuff we have.

Most gamers judge the magazines by calculating the scores on games of their console of choice.

And what the fuck are you blabbing about the individual writers? It doesn't make any sense.

panda21

zoukka said:
The level or writing is on another galaxy than your typical videogame reviews.

its certainly trying to sound intelligent i'll give you that. but if what they are saying is often nonsense. if you want to listen to them to feel clever then knock yourself out!

AKS

deepbrown said:
Well clearly I wasn't talking about you, as you were disagreeing. I was talking about this: "EDGE right yet again."

Edge marks on a different scale. What people see in a 1-10 scale is but subjective, and games journalists in the US have decided on a scale that tends to sit between 5-10 (where below 7 is seen is bad). In the film industry and in the UK games journalism...6-10 are all seen as good...

I don't mind them using the entire scale. It's the fact that they are so ridiculously fickle and rarely ever convince me their numerical choice is sound or justified within the text or their reviews.

zoukka

panda21 said:
its certainly trying to sound intelligent i'll give you that. but if what they are saying is often nonsense. if you want to listen to them to feel clever then knock yourself out!

Wow you need to improve on your reading comprehension skills. Edge writing isn't in anyway complicated or even too clever. It's efficent. And I'm not a native english speaker.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'll read EDGE reviews because I like to feel compelled to read more than that opening and closing comments of a review, and they are one of the few places that actually succeed in doing that on a fairly consistent basis.

If you want all your media to (inadvertently?) talk down to you, then so be it.

Stink

panda21 said:
well i guess they don't do their jobs very well then.

people like to discard any criticism of edge by shouting sony defence force and mocking about statistics and shit like that. that isn't what i'm trying to say though.
really?

their reviews often read like the rantings of any internet poster about a game they like or dislike. since they are written by a variety of reviewers, to try and imply any kind of bias in that is silly.
can you quote any passages that read like "the rantings of any internet poster" ?

there have been a lot of reviews where they have made significant factual errors, and not just minor mistakes but things they have based their criticism of the game on. so much for editorial staff.. they also make a lot of basic spelling mistakes these days.
a lot? Then surely you can easily list several examples.

the failings of their editing also makes them no more relevant than the thoughts of any internet person you might choose. i'm not saying that other sites/magazines are any better, but the attitude of superiority some people have about edge is wrong.

if it is an "attitude of superiority" to declare that the numerous interesting articles and columns every month make it a more interesting read than 97% of the other outlets out there, then consider me one of the "wrong".

disclaimer edit: I note that there are other authorised magazines using the same name, but with locally written content. I'm talking about the UK magazine, maybe you're not? I don't see how you can be, personally.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Now I know why people who work in development don't make what they do for a living known much round here.

rpmurphy

bobbytkc said:
the t-value can already have accounted for the two tailedness of the problem depending on how you have done the problem (again, I mentioned I did not do the calculation myself, so there were some assumptions made). The p-value is simply the inverse interpretation of the t statistic. The t-statistic says that there is a greater than 96% probability of Edge being not objective (null hypothesis rejected), the p-value is simply the converse, that there is a less than 4% of the null hypothesis not being rejected. Even if you multiply the probability twice to account for the two tailedness of the problem, there is still a greater than 93% chance that Edge is biased.i

It in fact says so in the wikipedia link you provided, as a previous poster mentioned. It is probably worth it for you to read the article again.

Edit: It is probably worth mentioning that I have no interest in edge whatsoever (other than occasionally looking at the scores while browsing neogaf), I was simply correcting what I perceived as a mistake in the statistical analysis by rpmurphy. If I was wrong on that account as well, then I apologise.
Here:
5. 1 - (p-value) is not the probability of the alternative hypothesis being true (see (1)).

Stink said:
I'm pretty sure that list is quite flawed. At first glance I noticed that Heavenly Sword and Lair are missing, so who knows what else.

If you want to flesh it out further, this link is accurate: http://www.lowbrowculture.com/edge/

Edge don't review everything - certainly there will be a lot of sports games missing, if that's what you mean.
Yeah the list does seem to miss a lot of games on both platforms. I wonder though if there is a better list out there, especially ones that also includes more Xbla games and timed exclusives.

EDIT: Thanks for the url. I updated the table and numbers in my post:

two sample t-test:
Ha: µ360-µPS3=/=0
t=2.92065210842
df=110
P-value=0.004238752

teh bias is confirmed! :lol
If anyone wants to do retail/download or tiered groupings and perform analysis on them feel free. :p

EDGE is a magazine that tries to sell itself, it used to do so by writing articles that attracted developers and people interested in the development of games, now it does so by writing articles to attract people that like to posture and argue about games 24/7 (ie. you guys).

panda21

travisbickle said:
EDGE is a magazine that tries to sell itself, it used to do so by writing articles that attracted developers and people interested in the development of games

this is why i used to read edge

now it does so by writing articles to attract people that like to posture and argue about games 24/7 (ie. you guys).

this is why i no longer read edge

also i forgot how crazy EDF was :lol *runs*

Baki

I just remembered Edge gave DA: O a 5.

Yup, this is why I don't take their reviews seriously. Their tastes are nowhere in-line with my own.

Shaka

Fuck this EDGE worship. I mean, fuck everybody but especially this age worship. Too much SDF finger-pointing teh bias crazies in this thread. Goddamn people sure EDGE has a bias, but not on the tinfoil hat levels.

cryptic

Clear said:
Now I know why people who work in development don't make what they do for a living known much round here.

There's some irrational, deep rooted reason for why you were responded to in such an assholish manner; try not to think much of it.

Curufinwe

Love the Billy Bowden avatar, Stink.

2ikpmap.jpg

Clear said:

you carried your lumber up the hill, dude. no surprise that gaffers carry nails on their persons.

ain't nothin' wrong with edge reviews -- 4 outta 5 times, they nail a game's specific failings and strengths, and do so in a pithy fashion. their editorial space is all kinda stupid and random, by and large, but the review text is pretty much spot-on. if sony exclusives appear to get shat on, i'd look for bias in the gamers and rag reviewers that talked UP middle-of-the-road pap like the original uncharted, ratchet, and killzone 2, and NOT the words of the folks with a better-than-average educated sensibility for the medium.

zoukka

Shaka said:
Fuck this EDGE worship. I mean, fuck everybody but especially this age worship. Too much SDF finger-pointing teh bias crazies in this thread. Goddamn people sure EDGE has a bias, but not on the tinfoil hat levels.

Well SDF tends to go mental in every Edge thread. If you distance yourself from this console wars business, you can laugh with me.

Eric WK

WrikaWrek said:

Those sound like some lame faults. The kind of stuff you wouldn't expect lacking in a game that has been 4 years in development.

Yeah that's my thought exactly. I had a pretty decent time with the demo with my only major disappointment being the voice acting, but still wasn't completely sold on the full game.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to rush out and grab it on release day or wait.

Shaka

Drinky Crow said:
you carried your lumber up the hill, dude. no surprise that gaffers carry nails on their persons.

ain't nothin' wrong with edge reviews -- 4 outta 5 times, they nail a game's specific failings and strengths, and do so in a pithy fashion. their editorial space is all kinda stupid and random, by and large, but the review text is pretty much spot-on. if sony exclusives appear to get shat on, i'd look for bias in the gamers and rag reviewers that talked UP middle-of-the-road pap like the original uncharted, ratchet, and killzone 2, and NOT the words of the folks with a better-than-average educated sensibility for the medium.
rwte2o.jpg

Top Bottom