• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #236 - GOTY's & Reviews

guek

Banned
Skill is watered down to a noticeable degree compared to other racing games.

That's kind of it's charm though. It's wacky and zany enough to differentiate it from other racers but the amount of skill required to win gives you a definitive edge. MK is about thinly veiled chaos.

test_account

XP-39C²
What does mainstream actually means? I thought it ment that it is a game for everyone, but all 3 games that are in that category are games that i wouldnt concider as mainstream games, especially when it comes to Dark Souls.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What does mainstream actually means? I thought it ment that it is a game for everyone, but all 3 games that are in that category are games that i wouldnt concider as mainstream games, especially when it comes to Dark Souls.

Anything on PCs or consoles that are not made by independent developers I assume.

Beth Cyra

Released by a large publisher to retail on console. At least a combo of these it seems.

DR2K

Banned
If you just dump banana skins willy nilly and randomly shoot green shells of course you're going to lose the lead AND YOU DESERVE TO. Item usage is all about skill no matter what the Smash Bros tournament scene tells you.

Not all items require the same skill usage. Bullet bills, red/blue shells, stars, gold shrooms, etc. . . are made to decrease the gap. It's fun, but luck is definitely a part of every single race.

Riposte

Skyrim is at least as mainstream in design as WoW and has the numbers to make it mainstream. Zelda seems like an easy choice too.

DR2K

Banned
I've seen evidence to the contrary.

With all items on, local and online, no cheating whatsoever.

Explain how someone can win consistently if items "erase any gap in skill"?

Because skill does matter as well. Knowing the tracks, karts, items, etc. . . is beneficial. Players do lose to items, regardless of skill though.

Rattles

Saints row 3 should have joined need for speed with a score of 3.. What shit arse game, Wish I could get my money back :(

This thread is delicious.

Really happy about SS's win. Though not sure its my personal goty.....I liked it better than Dark Souls and Skyrim (I have it on the ps3).

GhaleonQ

Kazerei and Boney, I'm late, but thanks for touching on Mario Kart. I think people play Mario Kart for different reasons. That said, I still think the Edge review is weird for saying it does EVERYTHING better than every Mario Kart before it.

onipex

*Zelda*

*MK7 and SM3DL*

oztec.gif

I usually ignore these list , but the my inner fanboy had this reaction.

traveler

Not Wario
Eh, I've seen worse lists. I do feel like there are some omissions though.

Btw, Rayman Origins > The games everyone is locked in debate over in this thread.

This is the real shame of the awards season. I still think Portal 2 is better but Rayman tops everything else and at least Portal 2 is getting recognition. I don't even understand the snubs- the critics loved it a few weeks ago when it was review time and now it's not even good enough to get nominated anywhere? Stuck in between tons of "bigger" (in terms of blockbuster hype, at least) players, it seems Ancel is destined to lose out commercially and critically.

Kazerei

Banned
Kazerei and Boney, I'm late, but thanks for touching on Mario Kart. I think people play Mario Kart for different reasons. That said, I still think the Edge review is weird for saying it does EVERYTHING better than every Mario Kart before it.

Well, I think MK7 does most things better than most other MKs before it :) My favorite is either MK64 or MK7. But I guess it's like the Zelda series, fans just can't agree on which game is best or worst.

I'm just annoyed that people think MK7 is the same old thing. Gameplay elements from previous games has been tweaked, kart customization is deeper, there's underwater sections (which I hate) and gliding sections (which are cool), and a really really good online system. What more were people expecting?

Not that weird. Mario Kart DS did everything better than it's predecessors. Some (crazy) people think likewise for the Wii game.

Mario Kart requires no skill? Lol
knowing the items doesn't take long, but using them at the right moment, preserving the ones to shield your ass, calculating the trajectory of a bouncing green shell, strategically placing a banana at the most obvious hairpin bend, using the lightning bolt when someone's gliding/jumping over a precipice, cutting a turn while drifting with pixel perfect precision, and so on requires skill and a lot of practice

Tenbatsu

There's this one time where I was playing with a japanese and he was leading all the way and I was 2nd. At the final lap about half way to the finishing line, he parked his car by the side and waited for people to overtake him and bam I got the blue shell. He then from 6th place became first place again and won the race. That was amazing

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
...aaaand cry-moar of the year goes to:
bigdaddygamebot

Runner-up: French (disqualified since he's always crying, buuu)

Atomski

Doesn't Skyward sword have a game breaking bug that can not even be patched??

I don't see people up in arms about it like Skyrim as a GOTY.

Codeblue

Doesn't Skyward sword have a game breaking bug that can not even be patched??

I don't see people up in arms about it like Skyrim as a GOTY.
Unlike Skyrim, this game breaking glitch was avoidable and the rest of the game worked. It's not comparable to 0fps.

Atomski

Unlike Skyrim, this game breaking glitch was avoidable and the rest of the game worked. It's not comparable to 0fps.

But if you did not read forums or anything online how would you know? Can you imagine being a kid playing the game for the first time and all a sudden its broken.. only choice is to start over again. Not to mention most people don't want to spoil their games... Id hate playing a game thinking I have to keep an eye out for a certain part or I may fuck this all up. It would bring down the experience for me.

I am sure there will actually be a fix for the ps3 version of Skyrim. Hell even Darksouls had some awful ass FPS issues and it took longer than Skyrim has currently been out for them to fix that stuff (which will surely be a big GOTY contender). Zelda on the other hand.. always and forever. You will either have to worry about not breaking the game or find out the hard way (or get lucky and not bump into it at all :p ).

Kazerei

Banned
But if you did not read forums or anything online how would you know? Can you imagine being a kid playing the game for the first time and all a sudden its broken.. only choice is to start over again. Not to mention most people don't want to spoil their games... Id hate playing a game thinking I have to keep an eye out for a certain part or I may fuck this all up. It would bring down the experience for me.

I am sure there will actually be a fix for the ps3 version of Skyrim. Hell even Darksouls had some awful ass FPS issues and it took longer than Skyrim has currently been out for them to fix that stuff (which will surely be a big GOTY contender). Zelda on the other hand.. always and forever. You will either have to worry about not breaking the game or find out the hard way (or get lucky and not bump into it at all :p ).

Nintendo's got a support page for the SS glitch. They're also planning to release a program that will repair save data, but for now you can mail them your save file (lol). So there's that.

zenbot

I love Edge and Dark Souls could well be my favourite game of the year, but that it would even be considered for Best Online Experience is crazy. Best Online Idea, If It Worked, Which It Does Occasionally, But Mostly SUMMONING FAILED, maybe.

Their review was similarly oblivious to the reality of the game.

Edge said:
If you could feasibly conquer Dark Souls without dying, you’d stumble across the occasional momentary framerate freefall, but not a single loading screen.
"Occasional"? "Momentary"?!

Mafro

I love Edge and Dark Souls could well be my favourite game of the year, but that it would even be considered for Best Online Experience is crazy. Best Online Idea, If It Worked, Which It Does Occasionally, But Mostly SUMMONING FAILED, maybe.

Their review was similarly oblivious to the reality of the game.

"Occasional"? "Momentary"?!
They must have completely skipped Blighttown somehow.

I am sure there will actually be a fix for the ps3 version of Skyrim.

What makes you so sure of that? Let me remind you that Bethesda has known for at least 3 years that Skyrim would have this framerate problem. Why? Because this problem goes all the way back to Fallout 3. They didn't fix it in that game and they didn't fix it in New Vegas. Why will Skyrim be any different?

Timbuktu

and to think edge used to be held in such regard here, lol

I'm sure people say this every month and then come back again the next issue to pour over Edge scores. It's never been a big deal for me reading the mag. Pickong one up now Having not read it for a while, i'd say it's improved compared with a couple of years ago. Not so sure about the redesiggn and centre justifying everything, but the content seems better. The 'postcript' to the reviews are good additions and makes the scores matter less.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

LOL

Nintendo's fix is days away, fixed FOREVER. That's it.
Ridiculous fanboy comparison to Skyrim, not even slightly in the same fuckin' league.

AkIRA_22

Some pretty laughable choices and scores. Yep, it's Edge.

I'm sure they do it to antagonise and create discussion. They've done it forever, there has to be a point where they have lost direction and do it because they feel they have to. It's a great mag with the best features in the world, that opens a window into games and the people behind them, but heir critiquing leaves much to be desired.

I think there are so many great games nowadays that selecting one, or even a few, as the best is too difficult but those are solid choices.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I agree with Edge other than on;

Audio
Developer

DICE...did something amazing with BF3 audio and online...Its sad the recognition is not there.

leng jai

What the fuck is wrong with the audio design nominations? Zelda, Portal 2 and Dark Souls? Seriously? Not BF3 or Uncharted 3?

Goes to show gaming publications no nothing about audio design since 99% of the time all they talk about is the music and voice acting.

not really, just call Nintendo and they will fix the save file.
What the fuck is wrong with the audio design nominations? Zelda, Portal 2 and Dark Souls? Seriously? Not BF3 or Uncharted 3?

Goes to show gaming publications no nothing about audio design since 99% of the time all they talk about is the music and voice acting
They lumped them together, but used the bad word.

I believe SS is widely praised for its soundtracks, and Portal 2 for voice acting.

Goes to show gaming publications no nothing about audio design since 99% of the time all they talk about is the music and voice acting.

Actually Dark Souls' audio design is very good, it's not only about the voice acting or the music.

Top Bottom