• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #250 - The World's 50 Greatest Developers

Phips

Neo Member
Really curious to see how they justify putting Mojang so high up that list. Minecraft has had a large impact, sure, but I don't know what criteria could possibly place it above Nintendo EAD.

DiegoPonga

Neo Member
Mojang????? I'm a big fun of MineCraft but... Come on! MineCraft has a LOT of bugs, a lot, it's sometimes like a Bethesda game. And hey, Mojang only made one single game. Where is Retro Studios? What's Ubi Montreal doing over there? I cannot be satisfied with such a list, I'm afraid.

Detox

Can someone who has the issue tell us the context in how Edge came up with the 50 devs.
"we're interested in technical and creative ability, and in studios that realise the most involving and stimulating game worlds, whether that's through visual, audio or game design." Imagination to bring new influences and themes to games, experiment with new ways of interacting, ingenuity in creating enthralling experiences, understand and engage with their audiences and have the vision to know where games are going next.

Pooya

I don't like lists in general, like to see their description or is it just a list?

anyway;

No Rockstar San Diego?

id? what's good about current id?

Playdead? just because of Limbo three years ago?

Vlambeer? who? I had to google it.

"we're interested in technical and creative ability, and in studios that realise the most involving and stimulating game worlds, whether that's through visual, audio or game design." Imagination to bring new influences and themes to games, experiment with new ways of interacting, ingenuity in creating enthralling experiences, understand and engage with their audiences and have the vision to know where games are going next.

That's what they say, but it seems like they just used a dartboard with some dev logos pinned onto it

SJRB

Gold Member

That's about as abstract as it gets when it comes to objectively ranking something.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
No need to echo how bad this list is but at least they ranked Platinum up there. Rightfully so ~

Also glad with the 8 for Ni No Kuni. Can't wait.

Zia

That's a wonderful list, though Vlambeer should have been ranked higher. No disputing Valve at number one, or much of the top ten, though.

Can someone that received their issue post some key impressions from the Ni No Kuni review?

Jesus these Edge threads always bring out the worst in people. How dare they value different things than me WAAAAAGHHHHH! Where's my favourite game developer WAAAAGHHHHH!
Yep, the carnival of stupid is in full force.

opinions, look it up people.
The WiiU launch might have done more damage on GAF than to Nintendos bottom line.
Or is this just the usual list insanity?

one_kill

Nintendo EAD is number 1 IN MY OPINION simply because of all the innovations to gaming they've produced over the years.

SJRB

Gold Member
How can you objectively rank them outside sales and budget, or metacritic rankings?

You can't, which is why this list is weird and people are reacting so actively.

Everything would've been fine if it wasn't a ranked list. I think it's always good to pay tribute to the many great videogame developers, but now everyone is arguing about their favourite developer not being in the preferred rank instead of talking about the overall quality of videogames and whatnot.

EDGE could have and maybe should have given this just a little more thought to evoke a proper in-depth discussion, I suppose.

So a one hit wonder of a terribly made game, only with a great concept (even of not original) is enough to put you in the 2nd pave of all time best developers?

I would have put Rockstar at the top.

What has Valve done for me lately? As a developer I mean.

Also, CD Projekt seems to be missing from the list.

First thing I looked when I thought the first 10 where good.

EDIT After whatching the whole list, no, its trash. WTF they were thinking with some of them.

Zia

EDGE could have and maybe should have given this just a little more thought to evoke a proper in-depth discussion, I suppose.

Have you read their reasoning for choosing the studios they did, or the write-ups included within this issue? Just because they didn't order the studios in a manner random people on GAF approve of, doesn't mean they haven't put a lot of thought into this feature they worked on for months.

Zweisy1

Mojang at number 2? Oh come on.. Minecraft is decent fun and all but to rate them above Nintendo EAD is just absurd.

Probably wouldnt put them on top 50 list at all to be honest..

Mik_Pad

Banned
44. Sony Santa Monica

38. Ninja Theory

iDS4MN4zWW1Ty.gif
Wowww... And as much I love Platinum Games they don't deserve #4 specially not over Naughty Dog or Rockstar North.

Kurdel

Banned
Mojang created 1 fucking game and they are #2...

ok there.

This is their office. Needless to say the working conditions seem superb.

xlarge.jpg

And people complaining about Valve are really ignorant. The rolling desk concept and the lack of a hierarchy makes it on the most unique companies in the world, if we also factor in their major success.

zoukka

I have never ever seen that happening in EDGE threads. They are not IGN so their picks always piss off certain folk.

xlarge.jpg

And people complaining about Valve are really ignorant. The rolling desk concept and the lack of a hierarchy makes it on the most unique companies in the world, if we also factor in their major success.

Why would I, the consumer, care about their office or working conditions?

faridmon

They are the epitome of style over substance. Their games are real janky, I wouldn't call them great devs, in a technical, coding sense.

I can see that, but it would be great if they could be appreciated because of thier style. Killer7 is one of my favourite games, if not my favourite game ever created just because of it style and atmosphere.

And people complaining about Valve are really ignorant. The rolling desk concept and the lack of a hierarchy makes it on the most unique companies in the world, if we also factor in their major success.[/QUOTE]

Peoples opinion differing on yours Don't make them ignorants.

Also I Don't give a fliying fuck about any developer working method, the only thing that matters to me is the final result of their work. And I've never find nothing special about Valve's games.

Valve baffles me. I really don't get it.

They must have a building full of capable, creative people and they barely put out anything. Half Life isn't rocket science. It's not like there needs to be years of planning for a theme park FPS.

SamVimes

Mediocre games at best.

4/10 would not bang

Valve baffles me. I really don't get it.

They must have a building full of capable, creative people and they barely put out anything. Half Life isn't rocket science. It's not like there needs to be years of planning for a theme park FPS.
Nobody at Valve cares about Half Life right now, they're making dota and updating tf2/cs.

Peoples opinion differing on yours Don't make them ignorants.

Also I Don't give a fliying fuck about any developer working method, the only thing that matters to me is the final result of their work. And I've never find nothing special about Valve's games.

Well, there's your problem right there. You should read up on Steam and how it completely obliterates any other online service, even the ones you have to pay for and are ad supported.

Mikey Jr.

xlarge.jpg

So if your office doesnt have leather couches and pooltables, you're working in a coal mine?

Alex

First though is that seems like a cruddy list without any real context to it.

Second though is that a lot of the people here would manage to produce an even worst list, for my tastes. Although I am having fun watching people get legitimately upset and very passive aggressive about this.

Top Bottom