• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #250 - The World's 50 Greatest Developers

I love Retro, but they haven't released anything in a while. Same goes for Polyphony (except for the "I love" part, haha).

So? I can understand that they don't include defunct studios, but the list is not called "the world's greatest developers that released a game in the last two years". Too much focus on current games, imo.

They mention it's a new annual list not ranked by revenue or reviews but creative and technical ability.
How did Valve, Mojang and Nintendo make it on the list then? I don't see how it's possible to argue that they're in the top 50 never mind the top 10 based on those criteria unless technical ability only counts for like 1% of the ranking.

I love Retro, but they haven't released anything in a while. Same goes for Polyphony (except for the "I love" part, haha).

That shouldn't have an impact going by the top 10. Rockstar North hasn't released a game since 2008. For Bungie it's 2010 and Riot hasn't released once since 09.

zoukka

How did Valve, Mojang and Nintendo make it on the list then? I don't see how it's possible to argue that they're in the top 50 never mind the top 10 based on those criteria unless technical ability only counts for like 1% of the ranking.

Troll post? Valve and Ninty are masters of creating great looking games for low specs. Mojang created something completely new like many people have already said. They single handedly made "procedural" a buzz word.

The brilliance of the Team Fortress 2 updates, and Portal 2, and the success of DOTA2 (don't play it myself) makes me agree with them about Valve. They would be my choice also.

Mojang? They should be high up on the list, but as #2? Nah.

CD Projekt is one my favorite, but for them to be on that list you would have to say that The Witcher 1 and 2 are enough for a place on the list, and even though I think they are, I can see how someone else might not think the same. Edit: Oh, Ninja Theory is on the list? Then CD Projekt should most definitely be there also.

hym

Banned
Greatest Developers, this needs more context really, going by the top 10 and assuming the author wasn't drunk I would assume it's "Greatest Developers to be employed by".

Or even "Greatest Developers according to fan dedication" but I'm sure Blizzard and even Bioware would be higher up despite their recent missteps but we all can agree Minecraft players can be pretty fanatical though.

If it's "Greatest developers based on what they accomplished up until now" the list is fairly mind boggling. Especially if you take anticipation of future releases into account, nobody believes the RPG card game by Mojang is going to be big right.

Sentenza

DOTA 2 is one of the most beautiful games around in terms of art direction and attention to details and it also shows off one of the most impressive A.I. I ever seen in... any game ever made?

I won't even start to argue that they deserve the first post, as that's truly up to personal preferences, but I'm not sure what's supposed to be so absurd about having them in a list of where they are recognizing and rewarding "technical abilities".

Rehynn

So? I can understand that they don't include defunct studios, but the list is not called "the world's greatest developers that released a game in the last two years". Too much focus on current games, imo.

That shouldn't have an impact going by the top 10. Rockstar North hasn't released a game since 2008. For Bungie it's 2010 and Riot hasn't released once since 09.

OK, good point. But Retro's last two games (Prime 3 and DKCR) both only got 7/10 from Edge, so I guess there's that too.

popyea

No. While Platinum is obviously an amazing developer, their influence on the industry is fleeting at best.

Considering the industry is mostly aiming for financial success, it wouldn't be in most developer's interests to do things as Platinum do. But regardless, their apparent lack of influence doesn't make a difference, they're still "an amazing developer".

DOTA 2 is one of the most beautiful games around in terms of art direction and attention to details and it also shows off one of the most impressive A.I. I ever seen in... any game ever made?

I won't even start to argue that they deserve the first post, as that's truly up to personal preferences, but I'm not sure what's supposed to be so absurd about having them in a list of where they are recognizing and rewarding "technical abilities".
Artstyle fits into the creative abilities criteria.

NinjaBoiX

Platinum is way too high. Scoring high with reviews doesn't make your company succesfull.
What? Bayonetta and Vanquish are two of the best, most technically accomplished action games this gen. They are fucking savants.

Edit: Oh sorry, I misread the end of your post. I guess you meant, they're good, but not commercially successful. But still, this is a list of best devs, not most successful.

I like how Arkane and FromSoft got rocketed up the list for each making a game that wasn't several kilometers below Edge's radar. But it's nice to see credit where credit's due. And maybe somewhere, in the back of Edge's head there's a voice saying 'it's just a list and these developers deserve at least some recognition while we can give it to them!', as they went for it, good on 'em.

Arkane <3

szaromir

Banned
Top 50 devs:
1. Valve
spit.gif

2. Mojang
spit.gif

4. Platinum Games
spit.gif
5. Naughty Dog
spit.gif

6. Rockstar North
spit.gif

Thanks for the laugh, edge.

sacgits

Neo Member
I'm surprised by the absence of Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio. They released two top games in 2012 and didn't make the cut?

I can see someone arguing why Valve shouldn't be #1, but I can't picture that person finding another studio to be on that spot under the same criteria unless it is an specific component under Nintendo EAD (like Tokyo EAD). I think the list is solid though, except for the lack of CD projekt.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Terrible fucking list. So many great studios missing from the list and some total trash in there instead. EDGE really is a shadow of its former self.

Top Bottom