• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #254 - Oculus Rift

Perkel

Banned
Good some coverage for Rift. They need it they already wowed crowd and if anything doesn't happen we will threw out our TV/monitors in few years.

I will be there on release date to troll people who play on normal TVs :p

Already referring to WiiU in past tense.

gg
Well it's been about as long before they called it with this great cover.

jOGqgAamZKGOv.jpg

I felt pretty much the same as they did with regard to Don't Starve. I love the concept, but playing the game just feels like busywork to me. I like some immediacy and challenge in my randomized games (like Spelunky and Binding of Isaac), and there just isn't enough conflict in Don't Starve to keep me interested. I feel like you could survive for hours (real-time) by just eating berries and staying warm at night. The art style is gorgeous, though.
I feel the same way, though I haven't tried the nomadic style of play yet. I think that will appeal to me more.
Sure would be nice if PC gamers could play that Spelunky HD some day...

EDGE is really doing a poor job with their covers recently. I like most of the other layout stuff from EDGE 4.0, but lately, the covers haven't been as memorable as they used to be. Also, ouch at that Wii U story.
I agree about the covers, only a handful have been good, mostly simpler ones Like Dark Souls II that lack neon. Having gone back to some older issues recently, I realised how much I've warmed up to it. I prefer the format and even some of the bigger features have got their creative design flair back from the old days. I still miss pouring over the screenshot tiles in the contents page and the time extend spreads. I find its replacement, Things, People, Places to be a bit sterile in comparison.

syko de4d

Oculus is awesome but it gets way to many hype 14-18months before the Consumer Version comes out.
They need the hype when the consumer Version comes out not now ^^

Raptor

Bought the iPad edition. Good read. The GTA preview doesn't really contain any new information, but there is a lot of enthusiasm in that preview. Lords of Shadow 2 sounds great as well. More Metroidvania elements, a seamless world and improved combat and platforming. On the indie front, Tansistor sounds like a much better game than the slightly overrated Bastion to me, but the real kicker here is Super Time Force, the main reason I haven't packed my 360 yet.

Review-wise, the most intesting one has to be Last Light. According to Edge it is far superior to the first. Incredibly atmospheric, great world building and much improved stealth mechanics. The say most rooms are self-contained puzzles that can be tackled in various ways. Downsides? Navigation can be clumsy, they recycle a moment from the first game and there might be a few turret scenes too many, but overal it sounds damn good.

Can't wait for some media, anything will do at this point, they have released nothing this past months goddamn it.

Acheteedo

Interesting tidbit from the article:

EDGE: Have you investigated health concerns involved with placing a screen so close to a user's eyes?

Palmer Luckey: It's a common misconception to think that because the screen is so close to your eyes that it must mean you're straining to focus on it. That's the reason we have lenses to magnify the image and put it at a comfortable focal distance. It actually focuses the image at infinity, so the eyes are focusing as if the image is an infinite distance away, not as if it's right up in your face. There's definitely no health concerns on that side.

Durante

The hype has been snowballing downhill for this thing ever since John Carmack showcased off the first homebrew prototype at E3 2012. The momentum from just word of mouth alone has been nothing short of amazing, really.
It's even more amazing when you consider Oculus' (1 c people!) lack of marketing budget. Just think about how much you've heard about the Rift, and how much a company would have to pay for this coverage if the product wasn't so inherently fascinating.

<hipster nerd>I was hyped about the Rift when it was just Palmer building 100 in his garage for $500 each.</hipster nerd>

Interesting tidbit from the article:
That's exactly what he has been saying in interviews for the past year, to that same question. Must be getting tired of it really. There physiological issues that remain to be solved, but hte visuals aren't really one of them.

The Rift is probably the opposite of the Wii phenomenon in that it's actually the least (physically) sociable form of gaming imaginable.

But holy shit I want to have a go and experience it. I'm just not sure it's something I'd sit down and play every night. I don't even feel comfortable wearing a pair of 3D glasses.

Although when they go high-res with it, I can't even imagine what it'd be like to watch a Blu-Ray movie on the thing too.

Last Light got an 8, nice.

I'm very excited for this one. Wasn't on my radar as much but it is now and should provide a nice distraction until Last of Us and E3 start.

BTW if Edge puts PvZ2 on their cover next month they would be amazing. It probably isnt gonna happen but I hope it is.

Polari

If you have the mag check out the profile of Klei Entertainment written by a good buddy of mine, Duncan Fyfe. It's an interesting read.

RiverBed

Banned
How does this relate to Oculus?:
ibyGGBc6hTLUH4.jpg

pardon the bump, but what did this turned out to be? I always see these 'coming next!' teaser covers, but I never see ( or link them) to the reveal the following issue. What did this one turn out to be?

P.S. do they reveal the project on the cover in the following issue?

Kafel

Banned
pardon the bump, but what did this turned out to be? I always see these 'coming next!' teaser covers, but I never see ( or link them) to the reveal the following issue. What did this one turn out to be?

P.S. do they reveal the project on the cover in the following issue?

studios in emerging countries

Top Bottom