• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #293 - Mirror's Edge

This score seems very generous based on what I have played of the game. How did they motivate the score in the review?

It's a very Edge type of game. If you have been following their scores for years, you will notice how they under score some subgenres and over score others (I mean, in comparison to other sites and public reception).

Of course it's normal for anyone to have their specific preferences, but it's strange, because in Edge it seems all the writers have very homogeneous tastes.

thumb

Banned
Weird scores. Surely the grades for R&C and Star Fox got swapped somehow?

R&C is endearing, glorious and true to its heart. Finished it already, doing challenge mode now. Star Fox is a reheated turd as far as I can see. Feeling fairly indifferent about Salt and Sanctuary, that game did not click with me.

I'm really enjoying R&C as well. But keep in mind that it's a remake of the first game--it's largely recycling content that does nothing new for the series.

Huggers

Happy to see such a strong score for Starfox. Will grab the mag on Thursday to read what their issues with Ratchet were.

iceatcs

6 out of 10 is not brilliant rate, it mean meh. I just can't see Edge's 6 mean better than other 6s.
Other words, R&C is meh game accord to Edge.

Nice score for Hyper Light Drifter. I do like this 2D game.

My copy has arrived. If anyone wants any detail on reviews, let me know.

If you don't mind, I'd like a little detail on the Salt and Sanctuary review - specifically, did they dislike anything about it, and why is it 'only' a six? I think it excels in most regards so I'm curious what their issues were.

If you don't mind, I'd like a little detail on the Salt and Sanctuary review - specifically, did they dislike anything about it, and why is it 'only' a six? I think it excels in most regards so I'm curious what their issues were.

Their main complaint is that it is tantamount to a 2d cover of souls and that it suffers in comparison through having too few original ideas of its own. They also criticise the art style and that the visual design is undersized, making playing from a distance troublesome.

Previous R&C scores from Edge:

Going Commando (90): 70. it had only 2 yellow scores and one of them was from Edge.
Up Your Arsenal (91): 80
Size Matters (85): 70. lowest score of the game.
Deadlocked (81): 70
Tools of Destruction (89): 80
Quest for Booty (76): 80. Wow!
A Crack in Time (87): 70. lowest score of the game.
Into the Nexus (76): 50. lowest score of the game.
All 4 One (70): 60
R&C PS4 (86): 60. lowest score of the game.

It seems that they really love R&C series! :D

spekkeh

Banned
Edge non too impressed with Rift. To be fair what I've played of the VR games, very few are more than prototype quality.

Ridley327

Been a while since the last Edge score outrage!

My co-worker, who happens to be a big R&C fan, didn't sound overly enthused about the remake, and complained about how short it was and being a little too familiar. He did like it, but that's not the most encouraging thing to hear from a guy who did stick his neck out for the likes of Full Frontal Assault.

Their main complaint is that it is tantamount to a 2d cover of souls and that it suffers in comparison through having too few original ideas of its own. They also criticise the art style and that the visual design is undersized, making playing from a distance troublesome.

Thanks. I'll try to pick this issue up myself if I can find it in a supermarket.

Salz01

No way does Ratchet deserve anything lower than an 8. It's phenomenal. Much needed especially when there are no good platforms coming out. And QB got a 7? Give me a break.... that one should be a 6.

Curufinwe

And PS4K coverage in this issue?

It's a very Edge type of game. If you have been following their scores for years, you will notice how they under score some subgenres and over score others (I mean, in comparison to other sites and public reception).

Of course it's normal for anyone to have their specific preferences, but it's strange, because in Edge it seems all the writers have very homogeneous tastes.

European made driving games get the easiest time at Edge. Ridge Racer Unbounded, GRID and GRID 2 all got 9's.

scoobs

Price is not indicative of quality. I have yet to play the game because I got tired of the series during the PS3 era, glad to know the fans seem to be digging it though.

Perhaps i could have made my point better, but what I was trying to say is: based on the quality of the game (backed up by reviews and user reviews for the game), for the price, this just ISN'T a "D" product. A 7/10 is fair IMO. To me that means its at best an average game. To me, 6/10 implies there is something inherently bad about this game, so I'd like to read the review to see what moved this down to 6/10. Its a really harsh position to take on a universally praised game. My only guess is the reviewer must REALLY hate Ratchet and Clank games.

I honestly think a 6/10 for this game is ridiculous. I understand reviews are subjective, but its just an insane score to give a game of this quality.

reKon

Banned
Edge doesn't always have the best reviews. Lol @ people explaining what a 6 means. People general knows what it means and most will probably disagree with their score, which there's absolutely nothing wrong with. Not sure how the best Ratchet and Clank game in the series received a 7 btw with strong 60 FPS gameplay and brilliant clank puzzles..

Perhaps i could have made my point better, but what I was trying to say is: based on the quality of the game (backed up by reviews and user reviews for the game), for the price, this just ISN'T a "D" product. A 7/10 is fair IMO. To me that means its at best an average game. To me, 6/10 implies there is something inherently bad about this game, so I'd like to read the review to see what moved this down to 6/10. Its a really harsh position to take on a universally praised game. My only guess is the reviewer must REALLY hate Ratchet and Clank games.

I honestly think a 6/10 for this game is ridiculous. I understand reviews are subjective, but its just an insane score to give a game of this quality.

It sounds like your expectation of the 1-10 scale is fucked, whereas Edge is one of the few publications to use an actual 1-10 scale with 5 as the flat average.

PillarEN

That look that Faith is giving us reminds me of the asian member of Atari Teenage Riot, Nic Endo
Atari_Teenage_Riot_2010_02.jpg

Catvoca

Banned
Edge doesn't always have the best reviews. Lol @ people explaining what a 6 means. People general knows what it means and most will probably disagree with their score, which there's absolutely nothing wrong with. Not sure how the best Ratchet and Clank game in the series received a 7 btw with strong 60 FPS gameplay and brilliant clank puzzles..

Yeah, I was more surprised to see A Crack in Time got 7 then I was the remake score. The remake is good but it's really just more Ratchet, and it's worse then a lot of the others in some ways. ACIT is the GOAT though.

I totally agree with their S&S score btw, I thought it was only alright.

spekkeh

Banned

A 6 is a C.

kanuuna

Huh, I didn't realize the digital subscription was as cheap as it seems. I should probably carry my iPad around more.

Empty

enjoying ratchet a lot as a series fa, it's friendly comfort food, but that score seems fair. honestly i'm a bit baffled by the glowing reviews in this day and age where critics are much harsher - it's the kind of game that just does everything competently except for the visuals (which are great) and in a franchise with tons of entries and little variety.

Tim Langdell having a heart attack at this issue

lol

As always, people getting outraged at EDGE review scores without reading the reviews. As mentioned, they use the whole scale, and usually reserve 8s or 9s to the best games of the year.

Here were their criticisms for Ratchet & Clank that justify it being just solid (a 6 doesn't mean they tear it apart like that number means for other outlets):

"Disregarding spinoffs, this is the tenth Ratchet & Clank game, and anyone possessing even a passing familiarity with the series will have a good idea of what to expect. For its part, Insomniac has no intention of failing to meet those expectations - and seemingly, little desire to surpass or subvert them."

"Occasionally, you'll play as Clank, solving marginally more complex conundrums that tend to involve more busywork than mental exertion."

"It may never quite set your pulse spiking, but rarely will you find yourself letting out an irritated huff."

"And though the script is full of characters you occasionally wish would stop talking, there's something endearing about its ceaseless attempts to make you smile. Once or twice, it might even succeed. Hardly an enviable hit rate, but it's more than many games manage."

"If technology's inexorable march suggests Ratchet & Clank may be among the last of its kind, there are plenty who would respond with a disinterested shrug. This, in truth, will do little to sway that opinion. Nonetheless, it's solid, three-star entertainment: as pretty as it is inconsequential, as likely to be thoroughly enjoyed for the dozen hours it lasts as it is to be forgotten within weeks. It's not taxing or provocative, it will leave you neither upset nor elated; it simply wants to give you a good time. Sometimes that's enough."

On the new weapons:
"There are fresh additions, too. The Proton Drum fires out throbbing pink shockwaves that zap anything caught within their radius, while the Pixeliser is an instant classic: a shotgun that turns enemies into blocky sprites, eventually causing them to fragment into voxels."

bomma_man

Is this a parody post? As long as you enjoy the game why do you care. It's a fucking arbitrary number lol.

Previous R&C scores from Edge:

Going Commando (90): 70. it had only 2 yellow scores and one of them was from Edge.
Up Your Arsenal (91): 80
Size Matters (85): 70. lowest score of the game.
Deadlocked (81): 70
Tools of Destruction (89): 80
Quest for Booty (76): 80. Wow!
A Crack in Time (87): 70. lowest score of the game.
Into the Nexus (76): 50. lowest score of the game.
All 4 One (70): 60
R&C PS4 (86): 60. lowest score of the game.

It seems that they really love R&C series! :D

No you fool! They hate the game! 6 means they think it's dog shit and they gave it that score just to be contrarian!

That's not a correct interpretation of the score. An Edge 5 is average, a C is average. So a 6 is more like a C+ than a D.

Also not sure why you'd think they REALLY hate R&C games, you can love them but still acknowledge that the PS4 game doesn't add much to the franchise. It's a really well made R&C, nothing more, nothing less. If a given reviewer really values the idea of new games in a series expanding on past concepts than a 6 is a reasonable score.

harpingon

Neo Member
The opening editorial is talking about their experience of vomiting at different games over the years. They do say that it is difficult to hold it against a game when many readers won't experience motion sickness. But it is a new challenge to talk about.

I think that Crackdown did that to me the worst. Those towers... Felt physically ill.

Totally agreed with their Hyper Light Drifter review, that's going down as one of my favourite games of the year. From satisfying gamefeel and subtle world building to an ambiguous dark fantasy narrative and very methodical combat scenarios that don't allow you to goof around with invincibility frames. It's like a Zelda game I never knew I wanted.

With this and the recent Toren, I'm all about bleak fantasy in videogames.

Curufinwe

As always, people getting outraged at EDGE review scores without reading the reviews. As mentioned, they use the whole scale, and usually reserve 8s or 9s to the best games of the year.

Here were their criticisms for Ratchet & Clank that justify it being just solid (a 6 doesn't mean they tear it apart like that number means for other outlets):

"Disregarding spinoffs, this is the tenth Ratchet & Clank game, and anyone possessing even a passing familiarity with the series will have a good idea of what to expect. For its part, Insomniac has no intention of failing to meet those expectations - and seemingly, little desire to surpass or subvert them."

"Occasionally, you'll play as Clank, solving marginally more complex conundrums that tend to involve more busywork than mental exertion."

"It may never quite set your pulse spiking, but rarely will you find yourself letting out an irritated huff."

"And though the script is full of characters you occasionally wish would stop talking, there's something endearing about its ceaseless attempts to make you smile. Once or twice, it might even succeed. Hardly an enviable hit rate, but it's more than many games manage."

"If technology's inexorable march suggests Ratchet & Clank may be among the last of its kind, there are plenty who would respond with a disinterested shrug. This, in truth, will do little to sway that opinion. Nonetheless, it's solid, three-star entertainment: as pretty as it is inconsequential, as likely to be thoroughly enjoyed for the dozen hours it lasts as it is to be forgotten within weeks. It's not taxing or provocative, it will leave you neither upset nor elated; it simply wants to give you a good time. Sometimes that's enough."

On the new weapons:
"There are fresh additions, too. The Proton Drum fires out throbbing pink shockwaves that zap anything caught within their radius, while the Pixeliser is an instant classic: a shotgun that turns enemies into blocky sprites, eventually causing them to fragment into voxels."

They give 8s and 9s to all sorts of crap.

I'm surprised it took this long to get a mixed review tbh. I don't disagree with any of those criticisms.

I personally still give it a 8-8.5 because the core gameplay is still so damn good regardless of everything else though.

Ridley327

That R&C review seems pretty fair. The series has always been a lot like the various LEGO movie spin-offs, in that there is never any mistake of what you're going to get.

I'm surprised it took this long to get a mixed review tbh. I don't disagree with any of those criticisms.

I personally still give it a 8-8.5 because the core gameplay is still so damn good regardless of everything else though.

Yeah, that's what a review of R&C is going to boil down too. I don't see how anyone could argue that it's not very well made and that the core mechanics aren't great. If you're a fan of the series though the new game doesn't have a single surprise, or bring anything new to the table aside from a new weapon or two. Do you rate it highly since it's still technically a great game, or do you give it an above-average score since it doesn't bring anything new to the table?

Top Bottom