• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #293 - Mirror's Edge

A six for ratchet gtfo edge.

Edge sixes are usually a guide to my favourite games.

Perhaps i could have made my point better, but what I was trying to say is: based on the quality of the game (backed up by reviews and user reviews for the game), for the price, this just ISN'T a "D" product. A 7/10 is fair IMO. To me that means its at best an average game. To me, 6/10 implies there is something inherently bad about this game, so I'd like to read the review to see what moved this down to 6/10. Its a really harsh position to take on a universally praised game. My only guess is the reviewer must REALLY hate Ratchet and Clank games.

I honestly think a 6/10 for this game is ridiculous. I understand reviews are subjective, but its just an insane score to give a game of this quality.

It seems you haven't even played the game, and you certainly haven't read the review (because these ridiculous knee-jerk responses to an Edge review never do) so what the fuck are you whining about?

scoobs

Edge sixes are usually a guide to my favourite games.

It seems you haven't even played the game, and you certainly haven't read the review (because these ridiculous knee-jerk responses to an Edge review never do) so what the fuck are you whining about?

I've played through it once, on challenge mode now. What about my posts made you think I hadn't played the video game? How I'm defending it against this obviously-too-low score? And no I haven't read the review, and if you actually read my post you'd have seen that I said that I wanted to read it to see the reasoning behind the score. It seems you own one of these:
jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

spekkeh

Banned
In what country?

Ah I came to understand a D is not always a passing grade (poor/unsatisfactory), or not enough to give you access to advanced classes etc. A 6 is a satisfactory in Europe and always means passing and being eligible for the advanced class.
The European equivalent of a "C-student" is a "6-student". It means doing enough to be sufficient, but nothing else.

sheaaaa

I've played through it once, on challenge mode now. What about my posts made you think I hadn't played the video game? How I'm defending it against this obviously-too-low score?

How is the score obviously too low? Everything you've said points to the fact that you just can't accept that Edge has a different opinion from you and gave the game a 6, which on their scale is a decent score.

I've read Edge for years, and an Edge 6, to me, means I'll buy the game if I were already interested in it and it sounds interesting.

scoobs

How is the score obviously too low? Everything you've said points to the fact that you just can't accept that Edge has a different opinion from you and gave the game a 6, which on their scale is a decent score.

I've read Edge for years, and an Edge 6, to me, means I'll buy the game if I were already interested in it and it sounds interesting.

I'd just like to read the review to see why 4 points are taken off is all. 6 out of 10 is implying a lot of faults with the game that a lot of other people who've reviewed it aren't seeing (see: all other reviews for the game on the internet)

herod

Edge don't start at 10 and deduct points

If anything they start at 5 and add points for originality, innovation, gameplay, atmosphere and unusual quality

scoobs

Edge don't start at 10 and deduct points

If anything they start at 5 and add points for originality, innovation, gameplay, atmosphere and unusual quality

I guess I just disagree with that philosophy. Assuming mediocrity/poor quality and improving the score as you find things you like is a real shitty and backwards way of doing things IMO.

bomma_man

There's a difference between saying "I've read the review and I disagree with it for these reasons" and "how dare they give my fave 6! They are obviously wrong!".

Discussion isn't inherently valuable or useful, only good discussion is. Chucking a tantrum over an arbitrary number that effects your life and your enjoyment of the game in no way whatsoever is not what I'd call good discussion.

tldr scores are a mistake, they're nothing but trash.

Since they gave Star Fox Zero a seven, how comfortable were they with the controls?

In the context of the Polygon review, their Starfox review is brilliant:

One of Wii U's most fascinating games - it will take most players a while to reach this conclusion and some may not have the fortitude to get there at all

True, it can be annoying at first, but with time and practice, you'll gain an instinctive understanding of where to look and when.

It may seem preposterous to describe a game that can technicAlly be finished in an hour as generous, but this is a game with the mechanical depth to match it's stern challenge.

There's a difference between saying "I've read the review and I disagree with it for these reasons" and "how dare they give my fave 6! They are obviously wrong!".

Discussion isn't inherently valuable or useful, only good discussion is. Chucking a tantrum over an arbitrary number that effects your life and your enjoyment of the game in no way whatsoever is not what I'd call good discussion.

Kinda hard to read the reviews when they aren't available in any digital form.

scoobs

Would if I could, but unfortunately I can't read it. I've said this all along. I'd like to read the review and see what their reasoning is for such a low score. It seems off when compared to the consensus. I wouldn't call this a tantrum, but what do I know.

I guess I just disagree with that philosophy. Assuming mediocrity/poor quality and improving the score as you find things you like is a real shitty and backwards way of doing things IMO.
Nah, it lets them use the full scale. If games that are technically competent and decent mechanically are getting high scores for not sucking, what do you score games that are great and do new things?

Ratchet is a great game, but there's what, seven or eight games in the series now and the new one is a rehash of old ideas. If someone has played a Ratchet game before all you need to say is "It's a Ratchet game" and they know exactly what they're in for. If say the third is a 9/10, does the series keep getting that same score for doing the same stuff over the course of a decade?

Agree to disagree but I don't mind games getting average scores for continuing to do the same (fun) ideas over and over across multiple console generations.

scoobs

Nah, it lets them use the full scale. If games that are technically competent and decent mechanically are getting high scores for not sucking, what do you score games that are great and do new things?

Ratchet is a great game, but there's what, seven or eight games in the series now and the new one is a rehash of old ideas. If someone has played a Ratchet game before all you need to say is "It's a Ratchet game" and they know exactly what they're in for. If say the third is a 9/10, does the series keep getting that same score for doing the same stuff over the course of a decade?

Agree to disagree but I don't mind games getting average scores for continuing to do the same (fun) ideas over and over across multiple console generations.

You can't assume everyone has played the Ratchet games though. All games should be taken for what they are, but I guess that's unrealistic in game reviews. This was my first Ratchet game for instance, which is probably why I fucking loved it. My only complaints are the stupid sewer bit where you drown if you don't run fast enough, and the hoverboard races are a fucking BITCH on challenge mode/hard. Christ I want to pull my hair out.

bomma_man

Would if I could, but unfortunately I can't read it. I've said this all along. I'd like to read the review and see what their reasoning is for such a low score. It seems off when compared to the consensus. I wouldn't call this a tantrum, but what do I know.

You also called the review ridiculous from the get go. Seems like a pretty irrational response to a number, but what do I know.

sheaaaa

Both your philosophy and "starting at 5" are really weird. Why not just play a game, think about how it made you feel and how good you thought it was, then come up with a score?

The bolded is a perfectly reasonable and measured approach to take. Unfortunately, that's not what you've gone for in most of your posts in this thread:

"Wow, here's a person who hates fun."

"Honestly, a 6 out of 10 is ridiculous for this game at this price point. It just is."

"based on the quality of the game (backed up by reviews and user reviews for the game), for the price, this just ISN'T a "D" product."

"My only guess is the reviewer must REALLY hate Ratchet and Clank games."

"How I'm defending it against this obviously-too-low score? "

Come on man.

Most things are average. That's what average means. If there's any safe assumption to have, it's starting at average.

Starting at 10 and counting down seems absurd to me. That means games where I don't like a single thing about them, but they don't have anything particularly wrong with them either, get "10/10, best game ever. Not recommended."

I'd just like to read the review to see why 4 points are taken off is all. 6 out of 10 is implying a lot of faults with the game that a lot of other people who've reviewed it aren't seeing (see: all other reviews for the game on the internet)
That's your problem. Thinking of a maths problem. Too invested in these review scores that you're comparing one to another. That's not how EDGE reviews work at all. I already pointed out in the last page that they find the game doesn't hold many surprises and is just solid, so a 6 is perfectly fine by EDGE's standards.
You can't assume everyone has played the Ratchet games though. All games should be taken for what they are, but I guess that's unrealistic in game reviews. This was my first Ratchet game for instance, which is probably why I fucking loved it. My only complaints are the stupid sewer bit where you drown if you don't run fast enough, and the hoverboard races are a fucking BITCH on challenge mode/hard. Christ I want to pull my hair out.
Ah, so this is your first Ratchet and Clank game. This is the tenth to EDGE. They mention the other games especially, which games the weapons are from and how routine it's gotten. There's a disparity between you and EDGE.

Haha, your comments make a LOT more sense knowing it's the first game in the series you've played. I can totally see how you'd find a score that low ridiculous. On the other hand, I've played every game in the series except Deadlocked. They're all fun, but they're also all very similar.

Seems like we disagree again, but I prefer that games be reviewed in the context of the whole series. Dark Souls is another great example. The first game is one of my favorite games, easy 10/10. The second one definitely doesn't capture everything that made the first game great, but it's still a really good game. Bloodborne made some fundamental changes to the gameplay and has a drastically different art style and atmosphere. Again, great game.

Dark Souls 3 is also great, but after spending hundreds of hours with the series it just doesn't have the same impact as DS1. It has some beautiful environments and some really fun bosses, but to some extent it feels like going through the motions. Reviewers don't need to give every From game a 10/10 because they made one classic game and then iterated on it for years.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Does the Mirror's Edge Catalyst article mention anywhere that 5 out of 10 they gave the original Mirror's Edge?

They don't mention the score they gave the original no. I've seen a post in the thread saying they do, but I've read it and can't see where they mention it.

vetrox

In the context of the Polygon review, their Starfox review is brilliant:

One of Wii U's most fascinating games - it will take most players a while to reach this conclusion and some may not have the fortitude to get there at all

True, it can be annoying at first, but with time and practice, you'll gain an instinctive understanding of where to look and when.

It may seem preposterous to describe a game that can technicAlly be finished in an hour as generous, but this is a game with the mechanical depth to match it's stern challenge.

Nice to hear. Sounds like a Platinum game alright, I might give it a shot after all.
Thank you!

Top Bottom